• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part XIII: The Crimean War continues​

In 1853 the war limited itself to Northern France and along the shores of the Black Sea, with the allied forces of France, Britain and Turkey sustaining heavy losses. The British hopes of capturing Crimea and thus taking Russia’s primary source of coal and iron had been dashed as French troops were occupied in Northern France against more as 1,5 million Prussian troops. The Turks were slowly being pushed back in the Balkan with Russian troops occupying the eastern part of Bulgaria, but in Caucasia the Turks held the line against a numerical superior enemy. In Asia fighting continued between Prussian and British troops in Burma.

On the 4th of January 1854, Prussian troops engaged British troops, who had previously been driven back from Pegu, near the village of Sittwe. Although the British troops were experienced with fighting in the jungle, the Prussian troops quickly ended their resistance and drove them south towards Gyaong and thereby cutting them off from British supply lines. As British troops were still occupied in China, the Prussian colonial forces could seize this opportunity to take all of British Burma before August. With no additional troops in India left, Calcutta lay vulnerable and awaiting a Prussian siege which would not come.

ENG_Burma.jpg

Occupied British Burma​

The long awaited reserves finally arrived in Saarbrücken in February, after which Glogau launched a second assault on Metz. This time the French were defeated within 2 days and Lorraine-Alsace lay wide open to a Prussian invasion. Even before Metz was firmly under Prussian control, the offensive continued towards Nancy and Mülhausen. In Nancy a small skirmish between Prussian and French troops took place, but nonetheless the city fell by April and when Strasbourg fell within weeks, the first siege of Paris began.

France-1.jpg

Situation of the Eastern part of the Front​

On the 30th of May 130,000 Prussian troops engaged 100,000 French troops at the outskirts of Paris. Heavy fighting ensued, causing heavy casualties on both sides. Initially the Prussians seemed to be winning this battle, however, almost 100,000 additional French troops turned the tide, and by the end of June Prussian troops withdrew to Amiens and Laon. Around the same time the First Battle of Paris had started Prussian troops attacked the city of Châlons in the hope to cause confusion amongst the French. Nearly 200,000 Prussian troops attacked the heavily fortified French city on 23rd of April. Just as in Paris, the numerous French soldiers took the stand and defended the city with great valor and bravery. It didn’t stop the Prussians however, and the city fell on the first of July.

Chalons.jpg

The Battle of Chalons​

In August a second attempt to take Paris was launched, but just as the previous attack the Prussians failed to take the city. Casualties on both sides were rising and the home front was getting frustrated with the Prussian army unable to take Paris. It was clear the war was lost for the allied forces, but neither Prussia, Russia or France wanted to admit the war was over. The decision was made to launch one final attack on the city of Paris, but this time the main charge wouldn’t come from Amiens or Laon, but from a village just south of Paris: Melun.

August saw the movement of over 200,000 Prussian troops from Châlons to the small village along the Seine. Melun would prove to be an excellent base of operation, but the final assault on Paris had to wait. A rogue general, fed up with the lack of progress on the west, launched an assault from the north on the city. His attack was repulsed and would have dire consequences for the Prussians in the North-West of France. The French pursued them towards the city of Amiens and they were met with heavy resistance from the Prussians soldiers, who were still recovering from the Third Battle of Paris. The two sides fought for nearly a month, when the Prussians were forced to retreat and had to abandon Amiens. The city fell to the French on the 21st of November 1854.

So not all goes well, though I am confident that Amiens is just a temporary set-back.

Walter Model said:
Wonderful! i suggest getting them Humiliated and paying War Indemnities. Then, begin another war in 1870 and unify Germany.

It takes a lot to demand that. Most likely I can take that once I occupy Paris, however, I want this war to end quickly now. Already it starts to become a drain on my economy.

stnylan said:
So not all goes well, though I am confident that Amiens is just a temporary set-back.

France already has suffered heavy losses, so even if they manage to hold Amiens, it won't prevent me from striking Paris or even further into France. If anything the loss of Amiens will strengthen my position and secure the defeat of France.

Yuriswe said:
Nice war hoing on there :)

Thank you and hopefully the Prussian forces will prove to be victorious.

Part XIV: The Peace of Paris​

Although the liberation of Amiens was wildly hailed as a victory by the population of France, but the French generals knew better. The recapture of the city didn't relieve Paris from the Prussian threat, while it extended French lines. During the war French casualties were higher as those of the Prussians and without any additional reinforcements on their way, the war was as good as over for them. The stupid mistake by the Prussian general had only cost the lives of several thousands of soldiers, while the French counter-offensive would cost them a lot more. Within 4 days the Prussian Army launched their offensive against the French city. Heavy fighting ensued and substantial Prussian reinforcements were brought in, raising the number of Prussian soldiers close to 200,000. Several days later the French Army in Amiens broke and fled back to Normandy and Paris.

With 1855 arriving a new assault on the French capital was launched. This time the Prussian generals took no chance and ordered 400,000 troops to attack the city on the 5th of January. Much to the surprise of everyone, the defenders had been reduced to 24,000 and the Prussians met no serious resistance. Despite French reinforcements arriving, the French capital was lost. As Prussian soldiers marched through the city the Crimean War was over, only the formalities had to be taken care off. The negotiations would take place in Paris and would be held between the delegates from Britain, France, Prussia, Russia, Sardinia-Piedmont and the Ottoman Empire.

Paris.jpg

The last Battle of Paris​

The French, who had been soundly defeated by the Prussians, were quick to accept the Prussian demands, which many though to be harsh on the French. Paris was to secede 90% of Alsace-Lorraine to Berlin and acknowledge Prussian sovereignty over Wallonia. Both Britain and the Ottoman Empire, held firm to their believes an allied victory was still possible, despite the French had been knocked out, and refused any proposition by the Prussians. It was well known to the Prussians that Britain was able to retake Burma from them and they sought for a solution. The Treaty now no longer dealt with the peace-terms of the war, but also with the future of South-East Asia. British, French and Prussian diplomats agreed that Burma would come under Prussian control, while Prussia had to confirm British control over Assam, Johore and Bengal, and French control over Annam and Cambodia.

A-L.jpg

Prussian gains in France​

The Treaty of Paris confirmed the independence of both Luang Prabang and Siam, and neither France nor Prussia, nor Britain was allowed to expand in one of those nations. However, in the treaty both Russia and the Ottoman Empire were hardly represented and the situation on the Balkan returned to her pre-war situation. The fact that Prussia didn't force the liberation of Bulgaria, Moldavia, Wallachia or Serbia, caused great upheaval in Russia. Many Russians, both the lower classes and the nobility, saw this as a betrayal by their 'ally' and tensions were rising between the governments in Berlin and St. Petersburg.

Prussia1855.jpg

Prussia after the Crimean War​

From this point on, I'll strengthen the AI of my neighbours considerably. In recent test games it appeared that France would never build up a decent seized army or economy, nor does Russia. France will gain additional troops, pops, capitalists and the removal of her pop growth limitations, while Russia will gain extra techs and some capitalists. Austria will gain several new country cultures and possibly more troops and techs.

Middelkerke said:
Nice.

Now Build more Industrie and a larger standing army. Then in 1870... Bang Germany is born...

A larger industrial base will definitely be build. A larger standing army will take a while longer and will go more slowly. Before the Crimean War broke out I was the number 2 in total amount of divisions, only surpassed by France, which I think now has been dealt a decent blow. To keep things slightly challenging I'll limit myself in the size of the standing army, either Russia or France has to keep a larger army as I've.

Duke of Wellington said:
I'm very surprised by the lack of defence in Paris.

I was shocked when I attacked Paris with 40 divisions and only met 2. In earlier attacks I encountered fierce resistance by the French, but now it was too easy and for that reason I'll strengthen France considerably.

That frontier should hopefully intimdate France though.

Part XV: Problems on the Horizon​

The Crimean War left France humiliated and Russia bitter, yet Prussia as the greatest victor wasn’t off any better. The conflict had drained the Prussian economy and caused a debt of 150,000 Reich mark. Estimates of the losses suffered by Prussia range from 100,000 to 500,000 and the population of Silesia, Sachsen and Brandenburg suffered heavily due to conscription. To add insult to injury, domestically things weren’t improving and anti-monarchist sentiment was rising again.

Due to his role in the negotiations during the Treaty of Paris, Otto von Bismarck was appointed as Chancellor by Frederick Wilhelm IV. His initial plans were to increase the size of the army in Elzas-Lotharingen and a defensive force in Sigmaringen, while at the same time he tried to decrease the Prussian war debt. Between 1854 and 1855, 6 new divisions were trained and the war debt was decreased with 50,000 mark. The economy expanded rapidly as skilled French craftsmen were moved from their homes in the Elzas to various parts of Prussia. At the same time Germans were moved to the Elzas to increase the overall German population there. Naval bases in Danzig, Konigsberg and Kiel were constructed and the railway system was rapidly expanding.

Budget-2.jpg

The Budget of Prussia in 1855​

All appeared to go well, until 1855, when St. Petersburg declared the Prussian-Russian alliance null and void. Immediately Russian troops were spotted near the Prussian-Russian border, despite guarantees from St. Petersburg that Russia had no interest in war with Prussia. Eastern Prussia was ill-defended against a possible invasion, whether it was from Russia, Austria or Bavaria, and the army had to be expanded. Under supervision from Bismarck the army in Eastern Prussia gained 14 divisions, with an capacity of 168,000 soldiers. Although Prussia’s army and economy were rapidly expanding and her debt eliminated by 1858, her neighbors were doing the same. French, Austrian and Russian economies were rapidly expanding and with an expanding economy, so did their armies.

In 1858 news reached Berlin of French involvement in the Italian unification process. While the Italians, just as the German people, sought to unite themselves in one single state, this was highly undesirable for Austria. Meanwhile in Prussia the discussion took place whether or not to support the Italian unification, or the Austrian cause. Although the wounds of the War of the German Confederation were hardly healed, Austria’s neutrality during the Crimean War was appreciated. Unlike Austria, if Italy would unite, it would be strong and could pose a threat to Prussian ambitions in the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, Sardinia-Piedmont was supported by France and no-one sought a war with France so soon. The decision was made to keep neutral in the Italian conflict, as it limited itself between France and Sardinia on one hand, and Parma and Lucca on the other.

BismarckRoonMoltke.jpg

Bismarck, Roon and Moltke, just before the Italian Question came up​

However, in 1861, the Italian principalities of Tuscany and Modena were annexed, and Sardinia-Piedmont declared war upon Austria and the Two-Sicilies. Both the Chancellor and the King knew that Prussia’s days of neutrality were over. It had to support either Austria or the Italian nationalists in their struggle for a single unified state. Supporting Austria could well lead to a uprisings by German nationalists, who also sought to unite the country and saw Prussian intervention in the Italian unification as a threat to their own ambitions. On the 6th of June, both Sardinia and Austria urged Prussia to take a stand on the Italian Question. Would Prussia remain neutral, or would it side with one of them?

Italian.jpg

The Italian Question

Support the Italians, and unite the whole German speaking world! The non-german people in AH can get their own puppet states.;)

Nikolai said:
Support the Italians, and unite the whole German speaking world! The non-german people in AH can get their own puppet states.;)

Both nations have an extremely bad drawback, Austria is notorious for being a lousy ally, while supporting Italy would put France and Prussia on the same side :eek:

Spothisto said:
Well i can say that you know very well where to stop your update. I want more!
This is very good AAR and I'd like you to support Italian unification. But that is just my opinion. Keep up the good work.

I'm in doubt actually about who to support. Supporting Austria will keep her strong and prevents a strong Italy and most likely would lead to upsetting the people advocating German Unification, however, supporting Italian unification will severely weaken Austria, but will create a strong, but not so friendly Italy.

Duke of Wellington said:
I'm in favour of supporting the Italians, but whichever it is its tough.

The problem is that whichever I chose to support, it will upset the other. So I've either an extremely pissed of Austria, or a pissed of (unified) Italy.

Dr. Gonzo said:
If you're aiming for Mediterranean ambition, go with Austria and maybe obtain 'Sardinia' for a naval base. A united Italy would only back France in a war of revanche

Of course, siding with Sardinia would allow me to gain the Dalmatian coast. With a non existing navy keeping an island will be extremely difficult. I don't think a united Italy will back France, especially as long as they hold Nice, Annecy and Chamberry.

I don't see what interests Prussia could have in the Mediterranean, so I would rather support Italy then Austria. A strong Italy could act as a balance against France while while Austria at best is a buffer or distraction against the russians.

LeonTrotsky said:
I'd stay neutral here, wait to see who comes out on top, then maybe kick the Austrians when they're down :D

Of course we can side with Italy and weaken Austria so Prussia can profit from it in 1866.

GrimPagan said:
I don't see what interests Prussia could have in the Mediterranean, so I would rather support Italy then Austria. A strong Italy could act as a balance against France while while Austria at best is a buffer or distraction against the russians.

No territorial holdings in the Med. doesn't equal no interests in the region. Egypt, Morocco and Tunis can be nice additions to Prussia. Prussian naval bases could well act as a decent counter balance against British presence in the region. And with a friendly Ottoman Empire, a naval base there would allow to strike Russia in her belly. Then of course there is the question, will the Habsburg Empire survive another 50 years?