• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part XVI: Colonial Ambitions

In the late evening of the sixth of June a decision was made in Berlin, Prussian forces would launch their invasion of Bohemia on the 8th of June. Shortly after the decision was made the Prussian army in Silesia and Sachsen were reinforced and resupplied for a long march towards Vienna. Prussian troops crossed the Austrian border near Karlsbad and the first battle between the Austrian III. Korps and the Prussian XIV. Korps started in the proximity of the city. The efficiency of the Prussian army overwhelmed the Austrians and within hours the Austrians broke and fled the battlefield. The plans for the mobilization of nearly 400,000 men were put on hold as the Austrians didn’t appear to pose a threat to the Prussian advance.

Without informing the Prussian leadership of their intentions, the Italian leaders started to negotiate a peace treaty with the Austrians. The capture of Milan and the humiliating defeat at Karlsbad had but the Austrians in a bad position, especially with reinforcements from France and Prussia expected to arrive soon. Days passed as both the French and Prussians, once bitter enemies but now fighting on the same side, sent thousands of soldiers to the aid of the Italian struggle. Their support would come to late, as by June 15, the Sardinian King announced the ‘Italian War of Independence’ to be a success and that his troops had brought Austria to her knees. They had gained Lombardy in the peace treaty, but at the same time his appearance angered the French government and cause great concern amongst the leaders in Berlin.

All eyes were focused on Italy, as Sardinia was still fighting the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies for the leadership over Italy, when the Dutch would make a bold move. Nearly 30 years ago, Belgium separated from the Netherlands and although suppressed by the Prussian forces, the Dutch didn’t recover Flanders nor Wallonia. By 1861 Dutch forces crossed the border near Antwerp and Hasselt, with the goal to submit Flanders. With the Great Powers of Europe completely caught off guard, the Dutch victory was quick and decisive, within 3 weeks all Flemish resistance was crushed and the Republic of Flanders was reincorporated into the Netherlands. Britain, France and Russia condemned the actions taken by the Dutch, but didn’t take the necessary steps to punish the Dutch for their actions.

HOL-1.jpg

Dutch annexation of Flanders​

In the same year the Prussian Colonial Forces were established, as the first Burmese troops completed their training and were deployed at the British border. The colonial ambitions for Prussia were not without risk. The Prussian navy was virtually non-existent at this time and to protect her colonies or to aspire greater colonial possession a greater navy was desperately needed. All efforts were now poured into the establishment of shipyard in Kiel, Danzig and Konigsberg as well as to catch up with Britain in the naval race. The establishment of the Prussian admiralty would further strengthen Prussians naval ambitions.

In April 1861, the death of the Burmese King had far greater consequences as a succession crisis. Britain hoped to establish a puppet on the Burmese throne, however, this one had to be installed by forces and so Britain, in violation of the Treaty of Paris, sent 25,000 troops across the border. Without awaiting a reply from Berlin, the governor of Southern Burma sent his forces across the border to intercept the British troops and take the city of Mandalay before the British would. Within 2 weeks Prussian troops reached the Burmese capital and forced its surrender. To protect Burma from further unwanted British intervention, all land connecting the two was surrendered to the Prussians, effectively ending the war between Burma and Britain.

Prussia1863.jpg

Prussian Empire in 1862​

But Prussia wasn’t the only nation with colonial aspirations, so did Italy. After recovering from the turmoil caused by the Italian unification, they started to plan their establishment as a colonial power. Limited in naval size, it encountered the same problems as Prussia, but unlike Prussia, Italy had two exceptionally strong allies: France and Prussia. A bold plan was created by the Italians to attack the Dutch, who were still in political isolation, together with the French and the Prussians. The French would take care of the Dutch navy, while the Prussians would invade the mainland and thus leaving Italy with plenty of maneuver in Indonesia, where they hoped to gain their colonies. On June 11th 1863, Italy declared war upon the Netherlands. This act of aggression was immediately condemned by Britain, Russia and Austria, while the French supported the Italians, claiming to liberate the Flemish people from Dutch oppression. Prussia in the mean time was in a difficult position, her alliance with Italy obliged her to go to war with the Netherlands, to whom they always had warm relations and had supported in more difficult times.

Italy-1.jpg

The Italian invitation to war​

Very interesting, never seen Italy declare war on the Netherlands before. I can't see the Dutch surviving for long if Prussia decides to join in, unless the British or Russians decide to move to their defence.

Spothisto said:
Well what did I say about finishing your update at most interesting place.
You should join of course and maybe start WW1 a little earlier, if Britain, Russia and Austria intervene.

It's certainly a possibility that WW1 can erupt. Prussia would most likely support the Netherlands with troops and supplies, perhaps even a declaration of war against France. Austria can be tempted to join the cause, to revenge the wars against Italy, but I don't see Russia joining, unless it wants to avenge the Crimean War.

Duke of Wellington said:
Damn Dutch messing up Europe with their aggression. Your alliances sure are messy at the moment.

Indeed they are, but it's possible they get trickier. It's actually possible that I destroy Italy and France (if I support the Netherlands) and that Italy proposes an alliance in 1866 during the leadership war.

LeonTrotsky said:
Very interesting, never seen Italy declare war on the Netherlands before. I can't see the Dutch surviving for long if Prussia decides to join in, unless the British or Russians decide to move to their defence.

Neither have I. And they don't even have a common border IIRC. Might be that it's based on the fact Italy's two allies do border them. If anything, I'll try to prevent a French occupied Netherlands, as it would bring my position in Wallonia and the Rhineland in danger. The Dutch are surprisingly strong though, in Europe alone they've got 10-15 divisions.

Middelkerke said:
Stay neutral and first create Germany.

Those two can't go together. Germany can only (at this stage any way) be created by war. Defeating Austria and France in 1866 and 1870 are the keys to German Unification. The question is, will Germany form? As for neutrality, it comes in many ways, I do plan to support the Dutch, but whether or not I'll go to war is an other question.

Oh my. Italy really has proved to be the spark to set the whole of Europe aflame.

Paxdax said:
Time for an update I think

A lack of inspiration caused the lack of updates, but there will be one later this week. I still have to figure out how to continue from here. Normally I play weaker nations, thus Prussia is very easy and I need to find a way to strengthen the AI considerably. Expect an update later this week, though.

Later this week? That means *gasp* that we will get one today!:D

Sorry for the delay, but finally I've the next update ready. As mentioned lack of inspiration and RL were the cause of this. Normally I play weaker countries, and as I already strengthened the AI, I need some suggestion to make this game more challenging.

--------------

Part XVII; The Lowlands are burning​

The Lowlands, especially the southern part, had been a hotbed of problems since 1830. The Belgian Conflict in 1836-1839 solved the situation, but only temporarily. Prussian and Dutch forces withstood the French and British pressure for an independent Belgium, but with the Dutch annexation of Flanders the conflict escalated once again. This time Italy decided it was time to intervene in the conflict, hoping to bring France and Prussia on their side. The French gladly accepted this offer, in the hope to seek their natural border along the Rhine.

In Berlin, the situation was more complicated. Prussia’s aggressive stand in 1836 and later in 1843, were not forgotten and taking part along the French and the Italians could cause far more problems as defending the Dutch. Bound by the Treaty of London, Prussia was to support the Netherlands in all future conflicts between the Dutch and a third party. In June Kaiser Wilhelm I of Prussia announced the mobilization of the Prussian Army, but refused to call upon the reserves. The French had a greater army as the Prussian army, but she was less disciplined as the Prussian army was.

Wilhelm1.jpg

Kaiser Wilhelm I​

In the late evening on June 13, the Kaiser and the Chancellor addressed the public. Both of them claimed that the people of Prussia should support their Germanic brethren against the aggressive stand of France. Although they appeared united in the eyes of the public, behind the scenes Bismarck and Wilhelm I lay in constant conflict. Otto von Bismarck tried to seek a diplomatic solution to the increasing conflict in the Lowlands, even if it meant to give up Wallonia as a part of the deal. And when it would come to an armed conflict, he favored to fight defensively, trying to maintain the current Prussian-French borders. The Kaiser on the other hand, held a far more aggressive stand against the French. In his eyes, France was too powerful and tried to force her will upon the Dutch and Flemish population. To weaken France, while at the same time strengthening Prussia, he urged the Prussian armies to take the industrial centers of Dunkerque and Cambrai.

During the Liberal Revolution and the reign of Frederick Wilhelm IV the middle class had grown rapidly and wanted to be represented in internal Prussian politics. Neither Otto von Bismarck, nor Frederick Wilhelm IV were willing to grant any powers to them, but the newly crowned Kaiser, was prepared to grant the more wealthy a vote in internal affairs. Much to the distress of the German aristocracy and military officers. With internal unrest rising within Prussia, the war came at a dangerous time.

The war would prove to be a complete failure for the Prussians. The French ripped through the Prussian and Dutch defensive lines and retook Alsace-Lorraine, Wallonia and various other regions. The sudden defeat of the Prussian armies came as a blow to the Kaiser and von Bismarck. Within 5 months the French were already invading the Rhineland. This spurred the Prussian and Dutch to sue for peace with the French. And on the 8th of November , 1863, Prussia, France and the Netherlands entered peace talks. French terms were harsh on both the Dutch and the Prussians, France would gain Zeeland, Flanders and Luxemburg from the Dutch and Prussia was forced to seceded Wallonia, Arlon and Alsace-Lorraine to the French.

Lowlands.jpg

The Lowlands in January 1864​

Well, seems you've added a corrective there.

stnylan said:
Well, seems you've added a corrective there.

What can I say? I like a challenge. I doubt the Franco-Prussian War would have been interesting if I still controlled Alsace-Lorraine and Wallonia.

Middelkerke said:
You got your but kicked :rofl: LoL

Slight correction, I allowed the French to kick my but. :D

Duke of Wellington said:
I did not expect that to happen. Shame to see but it gives you a good reason to beat them later.

Hopefully this will allow France to become a powerful enemy capable of destroying any opposition in Europe.

*Shamless plug for my other AAR* You might want to take a look at my Russian WW1 AAR, if you didn't already do that. Without spoiling too much, it's interesting to say the least.

Part XVIII: Rebuilding Prussia​

The defeat at the hands of the French came as a blow to the Prussian Army, the Kaiser and the Chancellor. Most contributed the failure of the war to the fracturing between Wilhelm I and Bismarck, which had a drastic impact on the military leadership. Even fears of a civil war within Prussia were rapidly growing and fractured the generals between Wilhelm and Bismarck. The defeat of 1863, however, healed the wounds between the two of them, or at least temporarily they would be healed. As a compromise between the two, Bismarck would have full control over the foreign policy of Prussia, while he wouldn’t meddle with internal affairs.

preussen_1866.jpg

Prussian soldiers after the war​

Despite the defeat, the Prussian economy experienced a boom between 1863 and 1865. The steel and textile industries in the Rhineland, Westphalia, Brandenburg and Saxony, grew rapidly and brought prosperity to the region. They did, however, not only bring prosperity. The new so-called ‘middle class’ grew restless with the fact that they had nothing to say regarding the internal affairs of Prussia. Several post-war uprisings took place in various cities, but on the orders of Wilhelm I they were all violently suppressed. The Polish Revolution, the second in 30 years time, saw most of the Prussian army in Silesia fighting Polish nationalists along the Russian border.

The economical growth was used to fund the increase of the reserves available to the army. Within two years the amount of men available for mobilization rose from 400,000 in 1863 to 480,000 in late 1865. A part of the Prussian army stationed in the Rhineland and the former lands of Wallonia and Lotharingen, where transferred east-wards to Silesia and Saxony. Berlin feared that Russia or Austria would see the defeat of Prussia as a chance to avenge their defeats and betrayals at the hands of Prussia. Austria caused for great concern among the Prussians, as their economy had doubled in size and their military grew from a mere 120,000 men to nearly 350,000 troops. It was also successful in bringing the southern German states closer to Austria.

Vitem2.jpg

Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy​

In 1866, Bismarck’s fears became reality. Austria, once again, challenged Prussia for the dominance over Germany. The Prussian troops were reinforced and resupplied rapidly and by the end of January 1866, Prussia was ready to invade Austria. At the same time, the southern German states joined the Austrians in their fight against the Prussian, who they perceived as an aggressor. Prussia, initially left without allies in the war, received an urgent request from Italy. Rome would join the war against Austria, and the state of Venice would be seceded to Italy if the war was won. Although the two nations fought just a few years earlier, Bismarck accepted Italy’s offer of an alliance.

PRU-AUSwar.jpg

Map of the alliances in Germany
Black = Prussia
Light Blue/Dark Blue = neutral/benevolent neutral towards Prussia
Red = Austria and her allies​