• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Election 59

1. A 2. A 3. C

A few notes:

Hungary might be a better ally than Spain, but the money needed to bring it about could be currently better spent elsewhere.

There is one important fact about Polish alliance that hasn't been stressed enough so far: Portugal being it's member. With their great exploration effort, Portuguese might soon become our greatest rivals for the riches of Africa and India. We might soon welcome a war with them to grab some of their colonies.

Matteo Vendramin

Cuthbertus said:
as such we must act like one and not act like a one province pagan minor that some seem to behave as though we are.

Your loyal senator

Cuthbertus III

So we shouldn't conquer the whole world? :D

Pesaro.gif
Noble members of the Consiglio Maggiore,

I'm glad to see all of us assembled again. As I am one of the youngest members in this council, taking my father's seat only 10 months ago, I'll not bore those who are older and wiser with long arguments on our glorious nation's foreign policy. Instead, I'll limit myself to some short annotations.

Spain is a dagger on Portugal's throat. We should keep it there – sharp and ready.

An Alliance with Hungary and Poland would be a threat to our further peace and prosperity, as it would tie us to all the clashes and wars and intrigues of Central Europe's monarchs. Let them fight for northern forests, our future lays in India.

Genoa? Yes, my grandfather once told me there was a city named this way. It is still there? Glad to hear it is of no importance any more. Nothing to gain, nothing to invest.

Theodorus belongs to us since he accepted the first ducats we gave him to pay his whores. Let's realize this investment before someone else does.

Regards,
Angelo Pesaro

Election 59:

1. A, 2. A, 3. C

I am happy to see that so many senators are returning to the Consiglio.

Please be patient. I am allowing some extra time, as it is the first election of the season. Also the discussion is great and many important issues are being raised that we must carefully evaluate.

Looks like the Golden Party comes back to power. As usual your Doge is caught out of step, as Alvise I Mocenigo, elected during the war of Cyprus and the war of Tirol, is a convinced member of the Blue Party.

Ah my Doge, do not despair. As my family has long maintained, we are independent of both parties and will proudly wear our independent badge for as long as we are allowed to serve as Senators. For us, it must be about the long term strategy that determines whether we fight or trade. We supported the aggressive road to war against the infidel to acquire the Nile and that was to gain control of trade and open more road for our finances to grow in far off India. We are hoping, of course, that our large estates in Cyprus will see great return as a nice stop off between Alexandria and Venice. :)

For now, there is no reason to look for war since no near enemy has anything we need. Plus, for our long term future, we need to improve our lands and re-awaken our trade empire. But this is only so, in the future, we can continue our quest of our long ago voted desires---dominance of all Italy and freeing all Greek cultures from control of anyone else. That will come; I am sure.

For now, let us hope that our strength will put off our rivals in Austria. We all know they will look often for a chance to re-acquire Tyrol (so we'd better fortify it soon).

Dear senators,

The results of the previous election Election 59. Choosing the right alliance for Venice., are:

1. I believe that the right ally for Venice in these days is:
A. Spain (current) (6/7 votes)

2. Our vassal Theodoros should be
A. Diploannexed as soon as possible (2-3 years from now) (7/7 votes)

3. Do you support a DoW on Genoa to break her vassalization to Spain?
C. No (4/7 votes)

I will soon update you on the situation in our realms after implementing these policies that the noble Consiglio has approved.

Your Doge

Mocenigo2.gif
Alvise I Mocenigo, LXXXV Dux Venetiarum. Jul. 1574.
85.jpg

dogalshield.png
Noble senators of this Consiglio,

As it was the desire of the Golden Party majority, I have kept our nation peaceful, trying to recover from the recent wars. Unfortunately not everybody shares our view and several wars have ravaged all of Europe, involving some of our neighbours. But the second part of my rule will be remembered by the cultural, scientific, and developmental achievements of Venice. The great painter Tintoretto, who has been working in Venice these past years, has been recognised as one of the best painters of his time.

1575.jpg

But let's talk mainly about the economy. Our inflation is going down slowly. From 12% to 11.5% in this period. Our merchants fill the markets that we know, bringing big revenues to our Republic. Recently we reached level 7 protectionism trade level, and many candidates come to the Signoria asking for financing to enter exotic markets, like Mascate and Samarkanda.

1575b.jpg

We can also see in the picture one of the frequent classes between our colonial army and the natives of Kerala, that resist our attempts to build a city there. Although under control, these classes and the frequent failure of our attempts at colonization are raising the bill on building our empire, and take well above half of our yearly budget, preventing other investments. However a small village has already been built there, with a little over 400 Venetians working in building a city.

1576b.jpg

So between trade and colonization, our budget has been very constrained, and no conversion or fortification of Tirol has been accomplished. The conversion of Egypt with an above average administrator is outrageously expensive, with the cheapest province, barren Cataract, costing over 250 ducats and with a low 30% chance of success, so we were forced to wait until our economy is recovered and more funds are available. What little money was left, was used in gifts to improve our image with the rulers and people of Theodoros, until they accepted to join our glorious Republic. They brought 26,000 men into our armed forces, and two warships and two transports into our navy.

1576c.jpg

It is just one of the finest achievements of Venetian diplomacy, that was also characterised by a defrost of relationships with Murad III, new sultan of the Ottomans, who recognizes who is the real power in the Oriental Mediterranean, and also by the end of the fights between two of our most renowned families, the Montescos and Capulettos through the marriage of their children. We could afford to be generous in our wedding present, given the cost of our stability.

1576.jpg

1577.jpg

In the international arena, we were surprised that the Ottomans were able to dodge the bullet, when Poland got involved in two more wars in the North and after four years of war, they reached a draw. However, the Ottomans have lost control over Bosnia, that has become independent. Wallachia and Transylvania have also fallen in the hands of rebels, but they could still be recovered by Murad. France has really hit the lowest point. The former proud kingdom, involved in terrible religious wars, suffered a government fall when invaded by Huguenots and Savoy, and has been reduced to three provinces. It will no doubt recover, but in the meantime it has become irrelevant, while her overlord and ally, Burgundy is bleeding provinces through independence and in lost wars.

Regarding our scientific achievements, besides level 7 in trade, we have also reached land level 15 and naval level 13. Our monthly income is soaring, and reaching over 150 ducats, of which 8 go to our coffers, 12 to maintain our military, and the rest is distributed through our research.

Your Doge

Mocenigo2.gif
Alvise I Mocenigo, LXXXV Dux Venetiarum. May 1577.
85.jpg

dogalshield.png
Citizens of Venice,

1577b.jpg

After the death of the meek Alvise Mocenigo, I have been elected your Doge. I, who was your Capitano Generale da Mar in the glorious journey of Lepanto, where that boy Juan of Austria won thanks to me. And I will lead Venice to glory again. The Turk is not defeated yet. Those Poles failed miserably to finish the defeated infidels. It was the fault of some greedy senators that we did not complete the job of expelling the Turks from Europe. I will look for an excuse and declare war to the Ottoman Empire. Together with our Spanish allies, we will march triumphant through the streets of Bursa.

Your Doge

veniero2.gif
Sebastiano Veniero, LXXXVI Dux Venetiarum. Jul. 1577.
86.jpg

Senators of the Consiglio Maggiore,

1578.jpg

It is with a broken heart that I inform the noble senators of the terrible fire that devastated the Ducal palace on the night of December 20 of 1577. All the South part of the building was destroyed by the flames, and many art works had been lost, including invaluable paintings by Titian in the Sala dello Scrutino, and the century old frescoes by Bellini illustrating the role of Venice in the famous fights between emperor Barbarossa and the Pope. The Sala dei Consiglio Maggiore has also been destroyed, so we will meet at the Corner's cafe (a cafe owned by the Corner family that happens to be in a corner of the piazza St. Marks ;)) until its restoration is completed. Veronese has been comissioned for the decoration of the ceiling of the new Sala dei Consiglio, with a painting allegoric of the triumph of Venice, and another entitled "Venice ruling with Justice and Peace". Let's this serve as our guiding motto.

VeroneseTriumph.jpg

The Triumph (Apotheosis) of Venice, a painting by Paolo Veronese, ordered for the ceiling of the Sala dei Maggiore Consiglio, after its reconstruction, and finished in 1585. It is famous for its most unusual perspective. Venice is the lady over the clouds
-------------------​

But 81 years old Doge Sebastiano Veniero, was heartbroken at the loss of such great part of the palace, and so many masterpieces, and fell ill after the fire. He never recovered and died on March 3, 1578. Perhaps it was fortunate that the old fierce brass died before he could do much harm, and now the corno ducale is sitting in a better furnished head; mine of course, given my cursus honorum. After all I am a Philosophy Laureate by the University of Padova and ambassador at the Holy See under Paul III, Gregor XIII and Pius V, where I defended the autonomy of Venice during the Council of Trento. My family was exiled from Negroponte (Euboea) when it fell into the hands of the Turks, and hence my family name, after the bridge that joined the island of Euboea with mainland Greece at Negroponte. I am sure I will accomplish more for Venice that Veniero did. My program will focus in the economical development of Venice, renewing our truces with the sultan and the emperor. I congratulate the senators from the Golden Party for ensuring my election from their ranks.

Your Doge

DaPonte2.gif
Niccolò Da Ponte, LXXXVII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1578.
87.jpg

Last edited:
1574-1578 Account:

Year 1574
Internal trade ordinance happened to us. Tax value in Firenze and Romagna +1
Sent colonist to Louga (84D 53%). It succeeded
We lost control of Presburg to Austria
Sent colonist to Louga (84D 58%). It succeeded
Sent colonist to Kerala (77D 24%). It failed
We gained control of Erz & Tyrol from Austria
-Built Governor in Egypt for 111D
-Built Governor in Delta for 111D
-Built Governor in Tirol for 111D
----------------------------------------------(save point on July after peace with Austria)
Sent colonist to Kerala (77D 27%). It failed

Important international events nearby
Crimea became a vassal of Poland and surrendered Azov to Poland

Our diplomacy
Our peace offer of +200D & Tyrol to Venice, was accepted by Austria

Year 1575
Tintoretto (historic event) happened to us. +75 Infra.
Native attack in Kerala (we won)
Sent colonist to Kerala (77D 28%). It failed
-Recruited 1000 inf. for 17D in Nile
We raised our trade level to 7
Sent colonist to Kerala (77D 29%). It succeeded (level 1)

The government of France fell. France is reduced to 3 provinces

Our diplomacy
-Sent 58D personal gift to Theodoros, relations improved by +22 to +163

Year 1576
Our stability increased to +2
Diplomatic move happened to us. Relationship with OE +50, diplomats +1.
Sent colonist to Kerala (77D 42%). It succeeded (level 2)
Sent colonist to Kerala (75D 47%). It failed
Our land technology advanced to level 15

Burgundy surrendered Franche-Comte to Austria

Our diplomacy
-Sent 58D personal gift to Theodoros, relations improved by +42 to +200
Theodoros accepted our annexation proposal

Year 1577
Sent colonist to Kerala (75D 48%). It succeeded (level 3)
Our naval technology advanced to level 13
End of a feud happened to us. Stability +1, -75D
Stability rose to +3
Sebastiano Veniero became our new Doge
-Built Tax collector in Tirol for 55D
Sent colonist to Kerala (73D 53%). It succeeded (level 4)

Bosnia declared independence from OE
Poland annexed Prussia

Our diplomacy

Year 1578
Niccolò Da Ponte became our new Doge
Sent colonist to Kerala (71D 58%). It failed
Foreign drill instructor available. -400D, +1 Offensive, +1 Quality, vs. -1 vp. We rejected
Sent colonist to Kerala (71D 59%).
-Built Governor in Kerch for 111D

Hungary converted to Reformed

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1578 Report (December)[/size]

1578b.jpg

Economy
Stability +3
Stability cost = ?D/level (estimated 2000)
Treasury = 65D
Inflation 11.5%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1543    26
1568    29
1573    33
1578    35

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5
1568     238.69     343.06    45.8
1573     212.40     349.86    45.8
1578     314.52     412.46    47.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6
1568      57.5     29.9      35.9     0.0    123.4      -12.0 
1573      63.8     33.5      36.3     0.0    133.6      -15.6
1578      69.4     33.1      48.8     4.3    155.5      -11.8

66 merchants in CoTs (+11). 7.8 merchants/year
4 settlers/year
Trade efficiency is 77% (first nation). Production efficiency is 61% (first nation)
Trade agreements: Portugal

National
Monarch Niccolò Da Ponte
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)
Military Average (6)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year            1419 1503 1553 58 63 68 73 78
Aristocracy        4    3    4  -  5  4  -  -
Centralization     3    8    9  -  - 10  9  8
Innovative         4    5    -  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5    8    7  8  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2    4    3  2  1  -  -  -
Land               2    1    0  1  -  -  -  -
Quality            6    8    7  -  -  8  9  -
Serfdom            4    1    0  1  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 15 + 46% (1580, 25%) [Bonus = 2D]
Naval 13 + 12% (1590, 10%) [No bonus]
Trade 7 + 1% (1809, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 5 + 32% (1590, 53%) [No bonus]

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kaffa) Muslim (Alexandria, Cataract, Nile, Delta, Egypt).

Military

Leaders:
Land leader General G. Savorgnano (3, 2, 3, 1)
Naval leader Admiral Querini (2, 3, 4)

Army 48k infantry, 48k cavalry, 70 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 8.5 D/month
Army support limit = 111 000 (22,000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D
Artillery 26D

Navy 20 warships, 123 galleys, 23 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 3.3 D/month
Navy support limit = 248
Cost of naval units:
warships 46D
Galleys 10D
Transports 14D

Manpower pool = 58 (28,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain
Bad Boy 27.7/43 very bad
Permanent CB: Genoa, Burgundy, Pomerania
Temporary CB: Poland (Nov 1579)

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria, Crimea, Austria

1578c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA)
Genoa
Savoy RM MA (Scotland, Oldenburg, Switzerland)
North:
Danubian:
Austria MA (Bavaria, Berg, Cleves)
Hungary
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bulgaria
Bosnia
Poland (Brandenburg, Denmark, Courland the Knights and French Catholics)
OE
Mediterranean:
Tunisia (Tlemcen, Marocco)
Black sea:
Crimea
Uzbek (Afghanistan, Kara Koyunlu, Qazaq Horde)
Africa:
Yemen
India:
Vijayanagar (Rajputana)
Mysore
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Netherlands (Huguenots)
Portugal

3) Vassalages:
Papal States and Bulgaria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Genoa is a vassal of Spain
Bavaria is a vassal of Austria
Brandenburg, Courland and Crimea are vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
Burgundy surrendered Franche-Comte to Austria
Bosnia declared independence from OE
Poland annexed Prussia

Senators of Venice, you are asked your vote to decide the following policies:

[size=+1]Election 60. 1579-1589 International Situation[/size]

If you favor war, mark your target as enemy (we have CB against Genoa, Pomerania, Burgundy and Poland) and indicate in 5 that you want war. You are welcome to indicate other conditions that you might deem important.

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

[size=+1]Election 61. Economic Priorities and Research[/size]

We just reached trade 7. Our current levels and investments are:

Land 15 Investment 25% (1580)
Naval 13 Investment 10% (1590)
Trade 7 No investment (1809)
Infrastructure 5 Investment 53% (1590)
12% is dedicated to minting

Trade investment has reached a very significant Ahead of Time Penalty, so no money will be invested in trade for a while.

1. What percentage should we dedicate to minting (between 0%, maximum inflation reduction, and 25%, no inflation reduction. Current inflation at 11.5%)?

2. What percentage should we dedicate to military research (Land + Naval)?. The rest to economical research.

3. What percentage should we dedicate to Land military research?. The rest to Naval research.

4. Order by priority the following expensive economic investments. Our yearly income is about 250D in yearly taxes plus 100D from minting (about 8.5D monthly at 12%)

A- Construction of a manufactory (specify type: refinery or FAA)
B- Conversion of Kaffa, Orthodox (450D, 56% chance)
C- Conversion of Cataract, Muslim (250D, 30% chance)
D- Colonization of Kerala (Level 4 colony in India, 70D/level)
E- Colonization of Louga (Level 4 colony in West Africa, 80D/level)
F- Defensive fortress in Tirol
G- Rebuilding of the high seas fleet (our warships went down from 29 to 20 due to war. 46D/warship)
H- Buying of maps of Asia from some Indian principality

5. Sooner or later we will receive an explorer. Select your favorite area to be explored first from the two possible.

A) The West Indies, Caribbe and North America
B) The West African Coast, around the Cape of Good Hope and towards our Indian possesions

Election 60

DF: Spain, Bosnia, Savoy, Knights, Poland
F: Bulgaria, Papal States
Ad: OE, Portugal, Neth, Genoa, Austria, Hungary
En: None (right now)
War: Peace
I think we should try to add Bosnia to our alliance (they are christian?) to protect from OE. I would also add Knights, Savoy or Poland if they become available.

I would avoid war at present. Once we have a fortified base in India. I would persue colonial wars against Neth and Port to grab 0 BB colonies and TP.

Election 61

1. 25%
2. 50%
3. 40%
4. B, C, A (refinery) F, D, E, G, H
5. B

We have a good monarch, so we should convert now and get stab cost under control.

Cheers,

Ernesto II

Cornaro_G.gif

Doge, let me state personally that my family is always glad to serve the nation and my brother's cafe is more than sufficient for our needs. Plus, the food is great! :)

Ah, my friends, did we not note that Poland, while dangerous, actually had greater issues and would not concern us. Look at her---surrounded by an aggressive Russia, Austria and various Germans. While she could still come back at us, I think we might prepare ourselves for a Europe without Poland or at least her on a smaller scale. That said, while looking east and considering our situation in Kerch (well done on the annexation), let us not fail to note the size of Russia. She is but a short distance away. I wonder if it would not be prudent to attempt to send diplomats to her while we are not in her line of fire.

And to the Ottomans, well, I think (shocking to hear), it is better for the Balkan/slavic lands to remain the in OE's hands than Poland or Hungary. Perhaps all can break free. I suppose there is no way to aid the rebels in that area, my Doge? But with Bosnia free, I fully agree with Senator Gandolfi that we MUST move quickly to bring Bosnia into our scope. Even leaving her free (I would argue otherwise, but that is for another time), she provides a small buffer for us.

To the vote:

Election 60
1. Spain, Bosnia, Savoy,
2. Bulgaria, Papal States, Russia, Austria, Netherlands
3. Poland, Genoa, OE
4. none
PEACE

Election 61
1. 10%
2. 50%
3. 30%
4.B, D, A (FAA), F, G, E, C, H
5. B

Barbarigo.gif

Aureo Barbarigo​

It is time to expand our alliance. Savoy, Bulgaria and Bosnia are to me the most tempting targets right now. If we could get a CB on the Knights Venice could benefit a lot from force-vassalising them. Thats a Frankish Crusader state with oppressed Greeks. It's probably too early to attack Vijanyangar, but if we can mobilise enough for it we ought to grab their colonies (and maps), with no BB cost. I exclude non-European warfare when I say we need a peaceful time.
Election 60
1. Spain, Bosnia, Savoy, Bulgaria,
2. Papal States, Austria, Portugal, Bavaria
3. Knights, Genoa, OE
4. Vijayanagar
5. WAR (outside Europe)

Focus is on the immensely rich India, with Kerala and a high seas fleet in the Red Sea.
Election 61
1. 10%
2. 50%
3. 100%
4. C, D, G, B, A (FAA) H, F, E
5. B (to the east)

Last edited:
Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​
Doge and senators, here are the votes and wisdom of the house of Vendramin:

Election 60
1. Spain, Bosnia, Savoy, Papal States, Ethiopia (if we know them)
2. Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary
3. Genoa, OE
4. Indian states, Portugal
5. Peace

Wouldn't now be time to peacefully annex Papal States?
Sooner or later, we should try to take Portugal's capital to steal their nautical charts, and then take their rich colonies and trading posts in Africa and Brasil.
We should also prepare for military campaigns in India. We might also consider getting an ally in India that could invite us to local wars.
Finally, there's a rumour of a christian kingdom in Africa. We should try to find them and make them our ally.

Election 61
1. 20%
2. 0%
3. 50%
4. BDECGA(rafinery)HF
5. B

I suggest we obtain the maps of India by force, when we are ready.
As for research, put everything in infrastructure, until it's finished.

Code:
Election 60
1. Hungary, Poland, Bosnia
2. Bulgaria, Russia
3. OE, Austria, Portugal
4. Genoa, Indian states
5. Peace

Code:
Election 61
1. 15%
2. 0%
3. 0%
4. B, C, D, A, E, G, F, H
5. B

Fellow Senators, Esteemed Doge,

Personally I feel we would do best to concentrate out research at increasing our infrastructure, thereby increasing our income. But I can see that some senators are afraid that neglecting our military will put us at a disadvantage. I will still advise to first increase our income before upgrading our army and navy.

Further I would strongly advise when upgrading our military to concentrate our efforts on the navy. I think to speed up out exploration our ships naval technology should be better. Some wise men have been thinking about instruments to explore coastal territories without sending armies ashore. That would surely increase our options to expand our colonial empire.

Genoa delenda est.

Edited because of the stupid mistake Svantevid mentioned :eek:o

Last edited: