• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear Doge,

I agree with my esteemed colleagues. It is time to bring these German scum to heel. Let us vassalize Bavaria at least, and Austria if at all possible. Once they are our vassal we can bribe them into our alliance, and use them as a shield for our North.

Ernesto II Gandolfi

Unfortunately, the cries for the vassalization of the Emperor do not reach in time the negotiations in this era of horse-riding couriers. Nor would the Doge take such decission without holding an official election in the senate, since all the senators have to voice their opinion on the matter. But perhaps the matter has not been settled permanently between Austria and the Serenissima.

dogalshield.png

Hear, hear, senators,

Once more we have triumphed over the treacherous Austrians. And the merit of this triumph is all yours, oh wise senators of this noble Consiglio. You were the ones that decided that we should approach Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, as a dear friend. Little did I know that by following your instructions and sending a gift to him, I was changing the course of a war. The gift drastically improved our relations, but nothing else came from it. And soon Rudolph Habsburg sent his declaration of war.

1580b.jpg

You can read in Fodoroni's report how our troops were blocked by Austrians and Bavarians, unable to take the initiative, when suddenly the Scots decided to declare war to their cousins the Irish. These family fights had Charles Emmanuel of Savoy quite tired, and he abandoned the Scottish alliance. I immediately asked him to join our fight for freedom, and remembering our gift , Charles Emmanuel accepted to open a second front on the Austrians. The effect was dramatic, and soon Fodoroni spread our armies all over Austria.

1581b.jpg

While our troops conquered Austria, we were overtaken by obscurantism as a strong reaction against the war. Our revolt risk increased dramatically, and we feared rebellions in our cities. Fortunately we did not have a significant war exhaustion and the war ended soon.

1581c.jpg

So what should we do with Austria? Although we did outsmart Rudolph and captured Vienna, we did not defeat his armies. Some voices asked for a vassalization, however that would not only involve a long exhausting war, but we did not have permission from the Senate to take such measure. Clearly the Senate had voted for peace, and we have never decided to take any more German lands from them.

I did not feel supported to take any other course of action, but to request from Rudolph of Austria to transfer ownership of Alsace to Charles Emmanuel of Savoy. This way we not only reward his oportune help, but strenghen our alliance and weaken our enemies. Charles Emmanuel was very grateful for our generosity.

1582b.jpg

Certainly we did not win anything from our war, as Austria did not have any money left, but the war was not expensive, as we did not fight much. In fact we have been able to fund a conversion attempt at Kaffa and continue the colonization of Kerala while at war. In three years we should hear about those priests sent to Kaffa.

continues...

Last edited:
Regarding our colonization of Kerala, I would like to comment something I have never heard of happening. When we sent what we thought was the last colonists, and a few days before his arrival, our troops suffered a spontaneous native attack, so when the colonist arrived, the natives were not in their tents, but fighting against Aureo Barbarigo. So instead of a full city, we obtained a level 9 colony, with 12,000 natives. So we had to send a new colonist, and this one failed. Talk about bad luck. I will give you the full amount of money invested in Kerala, once it is colonized, and it is going to blow your mind away.

Our diplomatic and military performance has slightly increased our reputation between the people of Vijayanagar and Kara Koyunlu. I think they are impressed.

1583b.jpg

However we have some problems between our own people, and the peasants of Apulia have taken to the arms. Savorgnano has been dispatched to "negotiate" with them.

1582c.jpg

And to end this address, I would like to tell you a fairy tale. A tale about a girl captured by bloody pirates. A tale about a girl sold in the slave market. A tale about a girl interned in the Serraglio of a Sultan. A tale about a girl that when she turned into a beautiful woman, she raised through the ranks of the concubines to become first-wife and mother of the next Sultan. That girl was one of us. One of our many illegitimate children of our noble families in our society of limited marriages. Daughter of a Baffo and a Veniero, governor at Corfu. Niece of our revered Sebastiano Veniero, hero at the battle of Lepanto and my predecessor as Doge of Venice. It is an incredible tale, but it is a real one. We have now a friend at the Sublime Porte that will keep us informed of what is going on in the Ottoman Empire. Her name is Sofia Baffo, but she will be known as Valide Sultan Safiye (the pure).

1583.jpg

1583Saf.jpg

I will not bother you any further. There are no scheduled elections for the next period, so we can discuss how to deal with the Austrians if there is a next time. We should also talk about if it should be in our interest to vassalize and eventually annex Savoy, as they are the proud owners of Emilia, an Italian province.

Your Doge,

DaPonte2.gif
Niccolò Da Ponte, LXXXVII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1583.
87.jpg

1579-1583 Account:

Year 1579
Set new research budgets.
-Innovativeness -1 (now 4) Stability dropped by -1 to +2
-Sent colonist to Kerala (71D 60%). It succeeded (level 5)

Important international events nearby

Our diplomacy
Our proposal for a Royal marriage to Bosnia was rejected (relation -5)
-Sent 49D personal gift to Savoy, relations improved by +67 to +152

Year 1580
-Sent colonist to Kerala (69D 65%). It failed
Grant export licenses happened to us. We accepted, -75D (vs. Stability -1)
-Sent colonist to Kerala (69D 66%). It succeeded (level 6)
-Sent colonist to Kerala (67D 71%). It failed

Wallachia declared independence from Ottoman Empire
Portugal became a vassal of Spain by event (Felipe II)
Bavaria accepted to become a vassal of Austria
Dauphine declared independence from Burgundy

Our diplomacy
Our proposal for a Royal marriage to Bosnia was rejected (relation -10)
Austria, Bavaria, Berg, Cleves & Dauphine declared war to Venice & Spain

Year 1581
We lost control of Istria to Austria
A missionary was sent to Kaffa (438D and 57% chance)
-Recruited 5000 inf. for 85D in Veneto
Native attack in Kerala after failed colonization. We won
Wave of oscurantism happened to us. Revolt risk +6 for 1 year.
Our Land technology increased to 16.
We lost control of Tirol to Bavaria
We gained control of Odenburg from Austria
We gained control of Presburg from Austria

Transylvania declared independence from Ottoman Empire
Scotland declared war on Ireland, and Savoy dishonored
Savoy accepted to enter our alliance and joined war against Austria, Bavaria, Berg, Cleves & Dauphine

Our diplomacy

Year 1582
We gained control of Istria from Austria
Savoy lost control of Baden to Bavaria
We gained control of Austria from Austria
We gained control of Steiermark from Austria
Savoy gained control of Alsace from Austria
-Sent colonist to Kerala (67D 72%). It succeeded (level 7)
Unprovoked revolt (event) happened to us. Two revolts in Apulia.
Egypt rebelled. We won
-Sent colonist to Kerala (65D 76%). It succeeded (level 8)

Our diplomacy
We offered peace to Austria in exchange for surrendering Alsace to Savoy. It was accepted.

Year 1583
-Built 1 warship in Nile for 46D
-Built 1 warship in Veneto for 46D
-Sent colonist to Kerala (63D 80%). It succeeded (level 9). An ongoing spontaneous native attack prevented city formation.
Safiye the pure (historic event) happened to us. Entered a Royal marriage with Ottoman Empire
Great reputation happened to us.
-Sent colonist to Kerala (61D 84%). It failed

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1583 Report (December)[/size]

1583c.jpg

Economy
Stability +2
Stability cost = 2037D/level
Treasury = 164D
Inflation 11.0%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1543    26
1568    29
1578    35
1583    35

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5
1568     238.69     343.06    45.8
1578     314.52     412.46    47.8
1583     286.57     415.90    47.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6
1568      57.5     29.9      35.9     0.0    123.4      -12.0 
1578      69.4     33.1      48.8     4.3    155.5      -11.8
1583      68.1     32.2      54.6     4.3    159.2      -11.8
Current minting income: 11.2 ducats/month
68 merchants in CoTs (+2). 6.8 merchants/year
4.4 settlers/year
Trade efficiency is 77% (first nation). Production efficiency is 61% (first nation)
Trade agreements: Portugal

National
Monarch Niccolò Da Ponte
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)
Military Average (6)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year            1419 1503 1553 58 63 68 73 78 83
Aristocracy        4    3    4  -  5  4  -  -  -
Centralization     3    8    9  -  - 10  9  8  -
Innovative         4    5    -  -  -  -  -  -  4
Mercantilism       5    8    7  8  -  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2    4    3  2  1  -  -  -  -
Land               2    1    0  1  -  -  -  -  -
Quality            6    8    7  -  -  8  9  -  -
Serfdom            4    1    0  1  -  -  -  -  -
Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 16 + 15% (1596, 20%) [No bonus]
Naval 13 + 40% (1593, 10%) [Bonus = 2D]
Trade 7 + 4% (1784, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 5 + 66% (1588, 55%) [No bonus]

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kaffa) Muslim (Alexandria, Cataract, Nile, Delta, Egypt).

Military

Leaders:
Land leader General G. Savorgnano (3, 2, 3, 1)
Naval leader Admiral Querini (2, 3, 4)

Army 50k infantry, 46k cavalry, 70 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 8.3 D/month
Army support limit = 113 000 (23,000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D
Artillery 26D

Navy 22 warships, 123 galleys, 23 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 3.4 D/month
Navy support limit = 224
Cost of naval units:
warships 46D
Galleys 9D
Transports 14D

Manpower pool = 57 (28,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain & Savoy
Bad Boy 27.0/44 very bad reputation
Permanent CB: Genoa, Burgundy, Pomerania
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria, Crimea, Austria

1583d.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA, Savoy RM MA )
Genoa
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Austria MA (Bavaria, Cleves, Dauphine)
Hungary
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bulgaria
Bosnia
Transylvania
Wallachia
Poland (Brandenburg, Denmark, Courland the Knights and French Catholics)
OE RM
Mediterranean:
Tunisia (Tlemcen, Marocco)
Black sea:
Crimea
Uzbek (Afghanistan, Kara Koyunlu, Qazaq Horde)
Africa:
Yemen
India:
Vijayanagar (Rajputana)
Mysore
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Netherlands (Huguenots)
Portugal

3) Vassalages:
Papal States and Bulgaria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Genoa and Portugal are vassals of Spain
Bavaria is a vassal of Austria
Brandenburg, Courland and Crimea are vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
Austria surrendered Alsace to Savoy
Wallachia and Transylvania declared independence from OE
Dauphine declared independence from Burgundy
Portugal became a vassal of Spain
Bavaria became a vassal of Austria

[ooc--Just wanted to say that is the most amazing map I've ever seen in EU play. France is tiny, there's this big Green country (Heugonots?) in southern France. Burgundy is there still--simply amazing. We have the emerging Balkan states. There's still a major Hungary and Poland is simply huge. Just tons of fun and can't wait for new discussions to come. Out of time now, but just wanted to raise the points of the amazing map.]

Contarini.gif
Noble members of the Consiglio Maggiore,

I would like to thank the Doge for such a fine report. I am delighted to see that our nation has growd so rapidly and expanded into such a strong nation during my absence.

However our future remains uncertain. The attack by Austrian troops has shown that we cannot choose for peace. Enemies cannot be selected by ourselves, they too have a will of their own. The states with which we have a bad or disfunctioning relationship could attack us at any moment. Therefore i believe we need to expand our alligned states and find more support among nations which are closer to us.

The economic developments have improvment very much but the cost for war have been high as well. Our colonies far away hopefully will settle down soon and so we will gain more growth. I hope to discuss all these matters furhter with my esteemed collegues.

Regards,
Roberto Contarini

dogalshield.png

Senators of the Republic,

Let's rebuild our country after the trying war against our Northern neighbors. Our people desire peace and prosperity. Our colony in India has finally received the status of province of the Serenissima. Our colleague Seboden has been named military governor, and we should not fear any more native attacks, now that the natives have been given the status of citizens with full rights. A tax collector has also been appointed, so they can contribute to the load of running our big realm. I also told you I would disclose the total expense of colonizing Kerala. Between 1560 and 1584, we sent 23 settlers to Kerala (two traders and 21 colonists) for a total expense of 1,523[,000] ducats. Quite a lot more than the cost of a new refinery. To that we must add at least another 100[,000] ducats in troops to fight the natives. It better be a good colony.

In our desire for better relationships with our neighbours, we settled a boundary dispute with Bosnia, entering afterwards a royal marriage. They are still weary of us, but at least we have a positive relation.

1584.jpg

But the Doge cannot continue with his address, as a messenger with an armed scort enters the room and runs toward him. He looks tired and worried. His robes are dirty and wrinkled, as if slept over for several nights. Silence fells on the Hall of the Consiglio, as everybody wants to hear his news.

My Lord,

1585.jpg

I come from Constantinople. We are being attacked by the Turks. There was no warning, and the defence forces were light due to our recent war with Austria. Our fleet was surprised unprepared and had to take refuge at port. Over 90,000 Ottomans, many of them the terrible janissaries, overrun our forces and landed at Greece. They are assaulting the walls of Constantinople as we speak. I don't know for how long the city can resist, but there is not a single Venetian soldier in Greece that can assist her.

1585Const.jpg

Old Niccolò raises with difficulty between tremors and his assistants rush to hold him. His face is red and his eyes look like they are coming out of their orbits. He has his mouth open, but has to make an effort before anybody can hear his words.

We must send forces immediately... We... reinforce Egypt... Savorgnano... should... Fodoroni...

And suddenly the Doge collapses and only his assistants prevent him from hitting the floor. A doctor is called, but when he arrives there is nothing that can be done, but certify his death. Fodoroni takes the word:

The electoral committee must follow the procedure for the election of our new Doge, but I am making a call to any citizen, senators included, between 18 and 35 years old, to present themselves at the recruitment office. The first forces will be dispatched for the front by tomorrow. Da Ponte was right. There is no time to lose if we want to save Constantinople from the Turkish attack

DaPonte2.gif
Niccolò Da Ponte, LXXXVII Dux Venetiarum. Jul. 1585.
87.jpg

Contarini.gif

The treaturous Turks! We must save the gateway to the East from these Barbarians! I vote for total mobilisation of all northern forces and other reserves to be send to the front. We cannot afford to loose the city of Constantinopol.

Contarini leaped onto the Senate floor and headed to the Doge. The Doge was dead but he had to see this for himself.

Let us mourn the death of this great Doge at a more appropiate time. Guards please take his body to the Doge's quarters. I believe we need to appoint a new Doge as quickly as possible. We need a strong leader in times of war.

dogalshield.png

Senators,

1585c.jpg

I have been elected your Doge under difficult circumstances. For the first time we have failed to stop the Turks at the straight of Marmara. We are going to pay dearly for that failure. Fodoroni has informed me that we have neglected our naval technology. The Ottoman ships are almost as good as ours, and their morale is very high. But the factor that tilted the scales in their favor was the possession of a couple of excellent admirals, Piali Pasha and Uluch Ali. Our navy can basically count all her battles as defeats. Even our reputed admiral Querini has been defeated twice by Piali.

Fodoroni and the High Command have elaborated a strategy to face the current situation. The barrier at the straights has to be reestablished at any cost. Four theaters of operations have been defined. Savorgnano will have the most difficult task of all. He has to prevent the fall of Constantinople and make sure that no Ottoman soldier of those 90,000, returns alive to Anatolia. Therefore he will lead the bulk of our forces. Miozozny will take all our artillery and will capture all the Ottoman possessions in Europe, starting with Serbia. Norrefeldt will be in charge of the Africa corps, that will be reinforced by new recruits and by the Indian colonial army commanded by Seboden, who has been ordered to Egypt as soon as possible. Norrefeldt will penetrate in Ottoman lands from the South with the goal of liberating Holy Land and creating as much distraction as possible, while avoiding direct confrontation, as he won't be able to replace heavy loses. Finally Benito Lando, in command of our forces in the Black Sea, must conquer Sochi, and afterwards should land at Trabzon, where he might be able to raise the Greek population, opening a North front. His will be the most dangerous mission, as he will be operating with a small army behind enemy lines.

Although we count with the support of our allies, Charles Emmanuel of Savoy and Felipe of Spain, we will not be seeing the Savoyards in the war, as they have great difficulties to reach the enemy. Perhaps the Spaniards can give some support, but I would not count too much on it, given their past performance.

I understand that this war is going to tax our resources, and I have given orders that any minting will be allowed with the goal of raising the necessary troops to reach a total victory. I have been informed that Sofia Baffo, the Venetian wife of Murad III known as Safiye, has disappeared. I am afraid that she has been executed in the usual way reserved for concubines. Thrown alive, inside a sewed sac with rocks, to the dark waters of the Bosphorus. In this war we will not be satisfied with a few ducats as war indemnities. This is going to hurt, Murad.

As usual I will distribute the war reports from Fodoroni between the senators. Please consider that they are absolutely confidential.

Your Doge

Cicogna2.gif
Pasquale Cicogna, LXXXVIII Dux Venetiarum. Jul. 1585.
88.jpg

Last edited:
dogalshield.png

Senators,

You have no doubt read the report from Fodoroni. Before we decide what to do with Sultan Murad, I would like to give you an update of the main events during the last years, that are not directly related to the war. Although some nobles always seem to take advantage of the difficulties of our Republic to exert pressure and recover former rights. No I am not giving names, but the Signoria was forced to decide in favor of those nobles given how precious are a low revolt risk and a high stability during a long war. As a result our aristocracy is higher.

1585e.jpg

Perhaps as a consequence of the war, also, many Venetians showed a desire of emigrating to our colony in Louga. I think we made them a favor by not sending them to that terrible place. After all, the war and the voted priorities have made us delay the colonization of Louga for more favorable times.

1586.jpg

The question of the recent fall of the Rialto bridge was brought to the attention of the Signoria. A new bridge is needed. Usually such matters are brought over to the Consiglio to decide, but the war conditions strongly discouraged an interruption on the war operations, that usually result in an invigoration of the enemy. So the decision had to be taken by the Signorie.

1587.jpg

There were three projects:

NewRialto.jpg
  • Da Ponte project was more expensive (-150D)

ScaRialto.jpg
  • Scamozzi project was cheaper and more conservative (-100D, +1 stability)

OldRialto.jpg
  • A traditional wooden bridge was actually the cheapest (+20D, tax value in Veneto -1, innovativeness -1)

Since we were already at stability 3, the Signoria did not think that we should argue about 50 ducats, and decided that only the best was good enough for Venice. Da Ponte has been given the contract for our new bridge.

Continues...

But not all are good news. The heretics in Kaffa rejected conversion and raised in arms exterminating the few troops that we had distracted from the war effort to protect our Latin ministers there. I am afraid that a lot of blood has been spilled. The rebels have not taken control of the city, but their suppression must await the end of the war.

1587b.jpg

The lack of public funds experienced as a consequence of the war, has impulsed the creation of the first public bank. The economical benefits of this measure have already been noticed, and our inflation is better than ever, despite intensive minting for the war effort.

1587c.jpg

The excellent news coming from the war front are turning the years of 1587 and 1588 into exceptional ones for our great Republic. New land has been claimed in Veneto, increasing our manpower and income, and our inflation has been put definitively under control several decades before we anticipated.

1587d.jpg

1588.jpg

Your Doge,

Cicogna2.gif
Pasquale Cicogna, LXXXVIII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1588.
88.jpg

This is the greatest war ever fought by our republic, and the most successful too. We have a chance to put an end to the Ottoman menace. It's the advent of a new era for Europe.
The family Barbarigo is proud of the brilliant leadership of our forces, and it's members are constantly debating the war goals. Should we set free all the Greeks of Smyrna and Trabzon, vassalize the Sultans or just try to take as great areas as is possible?
The uniting of all Greek areas have long been a goal of the republic, and it certainly seems possible now!

/Barbarigo

Dear all,
having been far away from these tribunes for a while, I must admit that I'm really impressed by the progresses made by the Most Serene Republic in its neverending fight against the Infidels. Even if at such pace frankly I don't know how much neverending it could be...

With regard to possible peace treaties, based on my experience I wouldn't suggest a vassalage status for the Ottomans. They're treacherous and filty, that status won't last too long, just until they can reorganise their galeots and janissaries .... I'd take land [Smyrna and Trabzon are rightly cultured, aren't they?], oh! and gold, it's always useful ...

By the way, from our brilliant Fodoron's latest report I count 33 provinces out of a total declared 35. Should I suppose there have been any colonial enterprises? [ehm, one is Kerala, and the other?]

Moro / Hastu Neon

Last edited:
I am in a great rush due to my business, but this news demands a quick reply. If you have long been in our Senate, then you know my families feelings about the infidel. Long have we heard the replies of limited value for land, for peoples of wrong cultures and yet is not our Republic not open-minded enough for this? As Senator Moro has reminded, because we have ever failed to eliminate the threat, it has remained. Our wise Doge has allowed us to see the long-term costs of colonies; would that he could go back through our records to report just how expensive these wars have been with the infidel. Had we taken the Balkans from those enemies of the true faith 100 years ago, we would be richer NO MATTER HOW POOR the provinces may be to some! It simply disgusts me to see how cheaply we throw away the lives of our children.

Sigh--I realize that in all probability, I am yet again one in a long line of Cornaros to debate the wind. Our choice is the same as in decades long past---we can either take their land (either to keep [Symrna] or free [Serbia, Jerusalem]), OR we can count on fighting them again and again. As we urged against the Austrians, we must eliminate them as a threat or they will come back (and you know the Hapsburgs will reload and come back). We did NOT get here because we picked this fight; we got here because we failed to eliminate the Ottoman from Europe when we had the chance.

Take Symrna (why Trabzon--it is very far away from all our other lands?); Take Serbia and release as vassal, take any other European province and release as we can or keep (Rumelia), protect our Nile land by taking Sinai, take any other province we can take and release
[ooc--I don't know the minor nations well enough to know for sure which ones can or can't be released; Fodoron you should check to make sure it can be released before we do it--no need to get stuck with something we don't like].

My friends, do you really want your grandchildren fighting this same enemy? Are we not eager to perhaps expand our lands in the far distant place of India? We cannot focus there if we constantly find ourselves fearing an attack from an enemy that we should have eliminated. Please, this time, let us at least get rid of the Ottoman in Europe and holding Symrna seems like a completely obvious thing to me, fitting in our very old long term goals!

Well done Capitano Fodoroni; would that other Senators would agree to take advantage of your success again against this same enemy. I pray that we do not fail you know and force you to prepare, again, to take the same land, same castles, again, that you have taken too many times already!

Since this is a defensive war I think we should be really harsh. The Ottomans perhaps thought we were exhausted from the war with Austria. I'm prepared to listen to senator Cornaro, his family's traditional hatred of the Ottomans seems well deserved after all.
I still think we should consider the use of the lands we take, and the potential income. Some of the west coast of the Black sea isn't very profitable as I remember. Sinai is desert, or does it have valuable salt?
As Christians I think it is our duty to free the holy sites of Samaria and Judeen. Smyrna is their richest province, and Greek too. Liberating the Greeks of Trabzon would put us close to the richess of Armenia, which would be good.

I guess our Doge will put together an election for this, where we can compare possible war indemnities.
/Aureo Barbarigo

Senator Cristophoro Moro,

It is really good to hear from you occasionally, and although we are very satisfied with your work as Balio of Puglia, we would be very happy if you could assist the Consiglio when your obligations bring you back to Venice. I am also satisfied to be able to put you back on the military roll, as we are seeing so much action lately.

Yes, we have timidly started an overseas emporium. We are mainly directing our efforts towards India, where we have a flourishing province in Kerala, but we also have a small colony in Louga. More a convenient naval base than anything else. But we have not been able to interest any young Venetian into the exploration business. Alas, we have a very commercial mind, and our young prefer trading adventures.

Senators of the Consiglio, we must decide what answer we should give to the Ottoman ambassador that comes imploring peace. But I ask you to be cautious on what we request. Quattara and Sinai are worthless deserts inhabited by hostile Bedouins that rather fight than renounce to the faith of Muhammad.

1584-1588 Account:

Year 1584
-Sent colonist to Kerala (61D 80%). It failed (level 8 due to negative growth)
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 34D in Egypt
-Built 1 warship in Nile for 46D
-Sent colonist to Kerala (63D 80%). It succeeded (city level).
Boundary dispute happened to us. Relation to Bosnia +25, Stability +1, -100D (vs. 60 month CB against Bosnia, relations -25, stability -1)
Our stability rose to +3
-Built tax collector in Kerala for 55D

Burgundy surrendered Artois, Luxembourg & Köln to Netherlands

Our diplomacy
Entered a royal marriage to Bosnia

Year 1585
Ottoman empire declared war to Venice, Spain & Savoy
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 34D in Kosovo
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 34D in Alexandria
-Recruited 3000 cav. for 99D in Egypt
-Recruited 1000 inf. for 17D in Delta
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 34D in Nile
native attack in Louga. We won
Increased minting to 70%
-Recruited 4000 inf. 2000 cav. for 134D in Ragusa
-Recruited 7000 inf. for 119D in Macedonia
Pasquale Cicogna will be our new Doge
Nobles demand recovery of former rights happened to us. We chose aristo +1 (vs. revolt risk +4 for 24 months or aristo -1, stab -1)
We gained control of Serbia from OE
We gained control of Sochi from OE
We gained control of Jordan from OE
-Recruited 3000 cav. for 93D in Egypt
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 32D in Nile
-Recruited 1000 inf. for 16D in Delta
We gained control of Sinai from OE

Our diplomacy

Year 1586
Reduced minting to 25%
-Built governor in Kerala for 111D
-Recruited 3000 inf. 3000 cav. 20 can. for 196D in Hellas
We gained control of Rumelia from OE
-Recruited 2000 inf. 1000 cav. for 65D in Kaffa
We gained control of Judea from OE
We gained control of Trabzon from OE
Rush of colonists happened to us
We gained control of Quattara from OE
Increased minting to 70%
-Recruited 7000 inf. for 119D in Macedonia
-Recruited 4000 inf. 1000 cav. 30 can. for 177D in Thrace

Auvergne defected from Savoy to Huguenots

Our diplomacy

Year 1587
The stone bridge of the Rialto (historic event) happened to us. We chose Da Ponte -150D (vs. Scamozzi -100D, stab +1, +20vp, or wood +20D, tax value in Veneto -1, innovativeness -1, -20vp)
Inquisition failed in Kaffa
We gained control of Dobrudja from OE
We gained control of Kurdistan from OE
The public bank (historic event) happened to us. Monarch ADM +1 for 1 year, +100D, inflation -3, loan size 100D.
-Recruited 7000 inf. 2000 cav. 10 can. for 204D in Thrace
We gained control of Samaria from OE
New land claimed happened to us. In Veneto, pop. +2000, manpower +1, tax value +1
We gained control of Bujak from OE
We gained control of Syria from OE
We gained control of Anatolia from OE

Our diplomacy
We renewed our royal marriage to Spain
OE offers Serbia, Quattara, Jordan, Sochi, Sinai & Judea in exchange for peace. We reject.

Year 1588
We gained control of Nuyssaybin from OE
We gained control of Lebanon from OE
We gained control of Smyrna from OE
Exceptional year happened to us. +200D, inflation -5%
-Built a fortress in Kerala for 108D
Revolt in Tirol
We gained control of Sivas from OE
We gained control of Aleppo from OE

Civil war in Hungary

Our diplomacy