• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Gentlemen, what can I say? I'm being harassed into updates, just like a proper writer. It brings a tear to my eye it really does. :)

To show my appreciation for your support here is an update, because I'm nice like that.

Reactions:
Chapter XXXVI: A Just Reward for a Gentleman.
Chapter XXXVI: A Just Reward for a Gentleman.

Like any venerable British institution the Conservative Party's procedures eschewed formal rules in favour of precedent and unwritten understanding. While the practical differences were normally slight the flexibility possible when not constrained by a rule book could produce surprising, and far more appropriate, results than by the letter systems. The leadership election of April 1936 was just such an occasion, normal procedures being short-cut by the pressures of politics, personalities and war. For the plotters grouped around Stanley Baldwin this would come as a most unpleasant surprise, not least due to the unexpected identity of the instigator; the recently deposed leader Winston Churchill.

In more conventional circumstances Churchill would have been expected to remain as Prime Minister, albeit a virtually impotent one, until the party had elected a new leader to replace him. Baldwin, having taken pains to ensure his whispering campaign never specified who the new leader would be, just that is shouldn't be Winston, had intended to use this gap to propel himself into the job as the proverbial safe and experienced pair of hands. While not declaring himself as the alternative had been tactically helpful, it would not do his campaign any good to be be perceived as an ambitious king-slayer grasping for power, it would prove to be a serious strategic mistake.

The crucial flaw in Baldwin's scheming became apparent in the immediate aftermath of the vote when Churchill, making the traditional speech of the defeated leader, sprung a surprise on all present. Deviating from the traditional acceptance of the vote and plea for party unity line he instead indicated his refusal to serve as a 'Lame duck' Prime Minister and his intention to head to the palace to tender his resignation to the King. In justification he argued that the gravity of Britain's position far from being a reason to hang on was actually the very reason he could not stay; "The present situation is most grave with issues both at home, and across the seas, requiring the full exertions of this country and her empire that they may be brought to a satisfactory conclusion. Yet how can a man be expected to wield such power and influence when he does not even have the support of his own party?" Having bequeathed a problem to his party he moved on to provide the solution, a typically direct answer to a complex issue; elect a leader there and then. There was clearly no time for a formal election so the MPs present would have to select a sole candidate, removing the need for a vote and resolving the issue promptly.

Warming to his theme Churchill laid out what he saw as the requirements; experience of high office, wide support in the party and a proven history of putting country before party and party before self. Baldwin recognising that the last point seemed designed to explicitly exclude him prepared to speak up, but Churchill had not finished. The ideal candidate would also have to be proposed, for any man committed enough to party unity would not risk dividing the party by putting his own name forward, in short the party need to call a reluctant elder statesman back into service to see the country, and the party through the crisis. As a final flourish Churchill named his preferred candidate, the only man he felt could fulfil all the requirements he had lain out; The foreign secretary Austen Chamberlain.

WMHFMaB.jpg

Austen Chamberlain, although over 70 at the time of his election, was still in good health both physically and mentally. His credentials on party unity were impeccable; many times putting duty or loyalty before ambition and thus earning the respect and support of much of the party. For many his election as leader for the second time was considered a just reward for his stalwart services to the party.

Chamberlain, who had been nodding in agreement to much of Churchill's speech, found himself propelled to the centre of attention. Having long since given up thoughts of returning to high office, let along ascending to the premiership, the shock was greater to him than anyone else in the room. Shaking off the shock the veteran MP accepted Churchill's nomination but said he would step aside should another, more worthy, candidate make himself know. Which, of course, no-one did, even Baldwin realising that to put oneself forward would be an act of naked ambition and that any attempt to promote a rival candidate meant running down Chamberlain, both acts unlikely to garner support in the current atmosphere. Thus as the sole candidate standing Austen Chamberlain was elected leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party for the second time, the Premiership once again within his grasp.

In the aftermath of the meeting, as MPs swarmed around the new leader seeking favours, preference and patronage the new leader sought a private meeting with his predecessor. There was one last task for which he was undoubtedly the best man for; dealing with the King. While the King was not regarded as the sharpest political tool in the box even he would have been able to spot the weakness in the freshly appointed Chamberlain threatening an en mass government resignation. Churchill on the other hand had been forced out of office for notionally not correctly handling the crisis, while both men knew that was not the full story the King would not. Therefore it was arranged that Churchill would see the King and lay down the ultimatum from parliament and empire; Wallace or the Crown, love or duty.

These carefully laid plans would be rent asunder by opportunists both in Europe and across the seas.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great update, and great picture as well. He looks very "proper".

Reactions:
Go Austen! :)

Reactions:
An update! An update! And a good one at that, Pippy. Didn't see that one coming. Hope Austen lives long enough to see how he might have handled Albion's travails.

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
Judas Maccabeus said:
Someone named Chamberlain as Prime Minister? What could possibly go wrong with that? :D

Oi, watch it. :mad:

Anyone who has something bad to say about Neville can take it up with me...

and let me be the first to say, Update! :D

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is one of the best AAR's i've ever read. I love the intrigue, the details. Simply Brilliant. I hope this continues for a long time. :D

Reactions:
Its fair to say, we want more Chambers.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
any sign of an update before xmas???

this year i mean :rofl:

later, caff

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The Lights Are Going Out All Over Europe...

Good Lord Sir, the last time I posted a beseeching entreaty to El Pip for more History, it was practically still summer!

Please, we jointly beg of you Sirrah, enlighten us with what the Other Chamberlain does next...

:cool:

• 1Like
Reactions: