• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for all the great inputs everyone!

what going on in UK? i can see some rebels

That was from a 5-year-old (1885) grab, it was probably the rebels getting ready to take over. The UK is no longer one of the 10-worst-rebel-infested countries:

18901rebels.jpg

The rebel infestation in the Netherlands is good news for me. If my Persia game is any indication, the one in Russia might eventually succeed --- in about 30 years.

Might be worthing saving, calling France, then checking if you retain leadership.

Well, the whole 'call France' thing looks moot, I just loaded the game up to check on thse other questions, and it says that the odds of France answering the call are 'Impossible'. I wish I understood why, but at any rate, we're down from 4 options to 3.

Italy seems not to control the whole of the Italian peninsula. If you bring them in, can they get troops to the north to face the Austrians? Have they mobilised yet? Austria's bridgade count is obviously post-mobilisation, so Italy might be able to bring anywhere from 20-50 extra brigades to the party.

Yes, they are adjacent to the Austrians in the Tyrol, though outnumbered - I can see 100K Austrians just sitting right there on the border. Austria has mobilized, Italy has not (it's at peace).

How large is your army and do you have the transport capacity to get it to Italy? I would be loath to call them in unless you can make a difference to the war.

My army totals a decent size (about 150K), but it's spread out all over the place - 40K at home protecting Denmark, 15K kicking the Austrians out of Greenland, 50K getting ready to squash Transvaal, and 50K to protect Africa from Portugal. My transport capacity is something like 8 steamers (total).

One nice detail is that the Suez canal has been built, by my ally France. The game does know how to route naval traffic through it, so when things calm down in Africa I could start ferrying troops from eastern Africa to Italy via Suez.

Blockading Austria will also raise your warscore. How much do you need to get your land back?

It says I need 13 points (oddly high), and I have 4.

Is it possible for you to get military access through Prussia? If so, you can land your armies on the Baltic coast and March down to Vienna.

Oh, it's easier than that, I could just amphib-invade into southern Austria, or get access form my buddies the Italians and do it that way.

Call Italy, see how it goes. If they lose badly and Austria still doesn't cave then white peace.

Stick it out. If you force an Austrian rebel problem, then you can keep them on their backheels for the rest of the game.

Stick it out and hope that Austria will will be infested with rebels within a year. If not, the white peace out if you get the slightest hint that it might not go your way.

Stick it out and hope for the best. Revanchism demands it!

Sounds pretty unanimous - stick it out, and maybe later (when I can be more help to them) call Italy.

thanks everyone!

How much warscore do you need to demand your land back? If you can get some extra score via blockades, go for it. If you call allies call both Italy and France, so at least the French have a land corridor to Austria. I believe as aggressor you remain leader, it's only on defensive wars that a bigger ally can steal your thunder.

EDIT: I missed your post...

D'oh, good point! I may well do that. Any suggestions for a good profitable factory type, other than cement? Seems like liquor/winery always does well, and canned food always does poorly - any good rules of thumb/heuristics for choosing this?

I've also been reluctant to do this just because I've been curious to see just how slothful my capitalists can be - I can (sorta) understand their reluctance to build factories, but also I think they have subsidized a grand total of 1 railroad the entire game! This is doubly odd as in my Persia games they were maniacs about subsidizing railroads, I almost never had to do this myself. Odd....

No problem, the ability to change ruling party is definitely a good one.

As for factories, given your lack of population, anything is going to be tough to sustain, but once African states start coming in you should do better. As you said, cement, steel, liquor, and wine all tend to perform well, as well as glass, I've noticed.

There are some factories that seem to only do well if you have good access to the inputs (that is, you directly control them or SOI them). In Africa I would imagine that you have some cotton access, so fabric may do fairly well, although it can be iffy. One thing that I've noticed is that if you have the technological ability to produce something almost no one else can, you will make HUGE money for a while until everyone else catches up, and then unfortunately these factories will often go bankrupt. For me, I've noticed that this happens with Steamer Shipyards, but only if you get access to them early (it's far too late in this game for steamers to be profitable). As Sweden I had one Steamer Shipyard making me +250 pounds a day, but 20 years later, it was bankrupt. If you are one of the first to be able to produce Fuel, it's a similar experience, but yet again, once other countries catch up (AKA once the UK catches up and starts spamming that factory) they will go bankrupt, but for temporary, huge gains, both steamers and fuel do well.

As for the war, I say stick it out for a bit and see what happens. Perhaps the Austrians will try to launch an amphibious invasion. If so, you might consider allowing their fleet to begin landing the troops, and then defeat the troops in a defensive land battle to drive up warscore. Another possibility is to get military access from Italy before calling them in and setting up a defensive line with your troops. Then call Italy in, and watch as the Austrians throw themselves against your prepared defenses.

Last edited:
How much score can you get from a blockade? Or do the Austrians still have a sizable navy?

You can get huge war score by blockading a country. I blockaded like 70 % of Omans coast during my war against them and got 10 score. Then after repair and long wait i got 14 witch proved to be what i needed.

Well, it depends on what percentage of the country is on the coast, and whether the capital is on the coast. In the case of Oman, this is '100%' and 'yes', so you're good. For Austria, it's not so good - I think you get something like 3 warscore for blockading the adriatic :(.

Chapter 8: The Gilded Age

Chapter 8: The Gilded Age

Welcome back! This chapter contains lots of fighting, a Teaching Moment, a Question For Readers, and an info-mercial!

1890 - the war against Transvaal

At the end of the last session, I had been given a 'Conquest' CB on Transvaal. However, because of a bug in the game, I could not DOW them (you can't DOW people in your SOI, and you can't expel people from your SOI - this is the bug part :)). I decide to hold my nose and edit the save game file, knocking Transvaal down from SOI to 'Friendly' status (if anyone wants to know how to do this, drop me a line), and DOW them in January 1890, and roll over them - they are annexed by December 1890.

But this is a sideshow - on to the main attraction:

1890 - the war against Austria continues

In 1890, I'm 2 1/2 years into a war of little ol' Denmark against mighty Austria. It's become a stalemate, as I've achieved my territorial goals (conquering southern Denmark), and achieved naval dominance, but am powerless to do much more, as the rest of Austria is one solid blob of land-power - nothing I can attack in isolation. My warscore is stuck at 5 of the necessary 14.

I spend the entire year of 1890 gradually preparing, as my kind and wise readers suggested, for a land attack joined by Italy. First, in a process that takes a surprisingly long time, I evict Austrian expeditionary forces from Greenland, and from the Comoros (the little islands north of Madagascar). This raises my warscore all the way up to 10, a frustrating 4 points short of the necessary 14. It also has a nice benefit of making my war exhaustion no longer go up, while Austria's does.

I also continue to hunt down the Austrian navy, by May 1890 it is down, from it's starting 81 ships, to 3! Bwa ha ha - it's very very nice to have superior technology.

But, it's not enough - I'm still 4 points short.

1891 - frustration vs. Austria

By the middle of 1891, I have laboriously transported all the troops I can bear into Italy, 87K soldiers. However, no matter how long I look at it, and try to re-arrange it, it just doesn't seem smart to call Italy, as they only have 27K soldiers near the front, as opposed to over 200K Austrians lined up right on the border:

18922situation.jpg

When Italy mobilizes, and gets organized, this could be an even fight, but I just don't think Austria will give Italy the breathing space it needs to do this.

I fume and fret for a good 6 months, just hoping that war exhaustion will eventually doom Austria, or something....

1892 - war exhaustion to the rescue

My prayers are answered in February 1892, when a good-size rebellion breaks out in Austria:

18922rebels2.jpg

It's not perfect, but my hope is that this will give Italy the breathing space and time it needs - I call Italy, and they answer.

As I figured, Austria comes pouring across the border, but piecemeal - the rebels (especially that nice big western force) are great obstacles. They attack me at Milan, a key battle that I win:

18923win.jpg

1.6 more warscore, puts me up to 11.6. The next month, I knock off a small Austrian force nearby, and get the warscore up to 12.

However, for some reason, 12 points is enough! In April 1892 Austria offers me Austrian Denmark, an offer I accept with alacrity! Yay!

The Spoils of War

Transvaal had a factory in it, and it turns Austrian Denmark had 5. Yes!

18924booty.jpg

This moves me, temporarily but gloriously, into 5th place, ahead of the USA:

18923rank.jpg

Throwing my weight around

So far it's been a rather glorious 2 years, annexing Transvaal and defeating Austria. I decide to reward Portugal for not DOWing me by ... DOWing them! I'm tired of their being a thorn in my side, and it seems that I'm quite the strong little power now. I DOW them in May 1893.

On their side, they are joined by the Netherlands - unfortunate, but doable, as wonderful Italy stays by my side - the perfidious French bail on me, however :(

On the land front, things go very well, as it appears that all these Danish-Portugese wars have exhausted Portugal - their army is smaller than it was last time (and only in East Africa), while mine is much bigger. I roll through Portugese East Africa, West Africa, and even take the Azores, Madeira, and some Portugese holdings just south of Gibraltar.

On the sea front, it appears that my technological advantage, which was so large against Austria, is just as large against the Netherlands and Denmark:

18937wins.jpg

I vaporize each of their fleets in turn, without losing a single ship. Wow.

Things go so well that I actually manage to beseige and then take Amsterdam, and get the Netherlands to agree to 3 war goals:

18948win.jpg

I get about 1/2 of Portugese East Africa, and Humiliate the Netherlands. I would have added even more, but this was about all my infamy could take.

An infomercial

While all this has been happening, I've been continuing to colonize Africa, and thinking about turning Colonies into states. But it's a pain to figure out which Colonies are state-able. You can go to the POP view and click on each colony and see what percentage of its POPs are bureaucrats, but (a) this is a pain, and (b) it's not right. It turns out you need 1% bureaucrats of a primary culture - you only find out whether you meet this additional criterion when you try to convert. Bummer :(

So <infomercial> I extend the "Victoria 2 Advisor" (see my signature) so that it can give me this information, and using it I turn 3 colonies into states.</informercial>

A teaching moment

I turn 3 colonies into states, and then note, to my horror that my RP have just gone down 10%! Maybe everybody but me knew this (though I don't see it in the manual or in the strategy guide), but a colony's literacy does not affect your RP, but a state's literacy does. When you think about it, this is a reasonable dynamic, but you have to stop and think about it :).

The game cares about your literacy percentage, not the absolute value. While this is debatable, it's a reasonable mechanism, it's how little bitty Denmark, for example, can far outstrip huge Russia in RP. Now, to take a historical example, suppose Belgium colonizes the Congo - should their research grind to a halt, due to the large additional illiterate populace under their rule? Nah, probably not. However, once the Congo (for example) becomes part of Belgium, then it's a different story - the literacy rate for the Belgian 'state' overall has now plunged, and research does indeed slow down.

I happened to catch this before it did too much damage, but let this be a warning, and a segue to....

A second infomercial

So I extend the advisor to tell me both percentage of bureaucrats of primary culture, and literacy rate in the colony (try figuring this out using the existing UI, without using pencil and paper!), and it guides me through the rest of the session:

18991werder.jpg

A Question for Readers

I've been moaning and wailing for a long time about how my Capis do nothing, not even building railroads. Well, all of a sudden, as of 1893, this changes, in a big way. Check out this screen grab from August 1893:

18938capis.jpg

Somehow, the 'bit has flipped', and for the rest of this session, my Capis build railroads and factories like madmen, even places where it doesn't seem to make that much sense to me (does Namibia really need level 3 railroads? The Faroe islands?)

I haven't changed tax policy at all (it's 20% on the rich), I have been rolling in money for a long time. What do you think made the change? I don't see how it can be RGOs filling up, as there's still lots of room in Africa, and that shouldn't affect railroads anyways. Could it be possibly tied to prestige? Or number of states? Neither one seems to make much sense. Any thoughts?

Lightning strikes a 3rd time

Amazingly, in July 1897, the UK has rebels enforce their demans for a 3rd time. As the first two times, no GP takes advantage of this - except this time, Denmark does try to take at least a little advantage, exerting diplomatic influence on Tavancore, the only coastal Indian province that shakes loose from the UK. We'll see if this ever turns into anything....

Austria again

After France bailed on me, to my surprise, Prussia offers an alliance, which I accept. Frankly, at this point I'd really rather with Austria (now that I have southern Denmark back, Prussia is now the bigger threat), but as long as Prussia is allied with me, they're not attacking me.

In January 1899, while Prussian indolence continues, Austrian aggressiveness does as well, and Austria DOWs Prussia! Check out the balance of forces, and the size of the Austrian navy:

18991forces.jpg

Not only is Austria outnumbered 4-1, but in the 7 years since I fought they them have constructed an incredible 125 ships.

Prussia calls me, and I answer the call - I am feeling pretty cocky by now, and am thinking that my 20+ fleet of cruisers will be too much for the Austrian 125 - and am right!

18994win.jpg

Note how I sink 64 ships (including 12 men-of-war), lose 0, and again get 0.1 warscore - has anyone ever seen a naval battle get more than 0.1 warscore?

By November 1899 I have reduced the Austrian navy from 125 ships to 3. Wow.

On land, however, it's a different story. I have to hand it to Austria, they are, believe it or not, taking the upper hand against Prussia:

189911score.jpg

I'm not sure what the deal is, as the display shows Prussia with a huge advantage in military forces, but when I look on the map I see mainly Austrians. Oh well, I'm happy to see them slug it out indefinitely - my naval swath of destruction complete, I propose a white peace with Austria, which they accept - Prussia has stayed my ally, to boot.

Danish Africa

So here we are, all the way up to January 1900, with Denmark at peace, and generally pretty pleased with itself :) - check out Danish Africa:

19001map.jpg

The only real fly in the Danish ointment is that 60 years of Diplomatic efforts to pry Sweden loose from Russia, and form Scandinavia, have been fruitless....

I'll stop here, the next update will probably be a 'state of the world' report, as we're now 2/3 of the way through the game.

As always, feedback/input welcomed!

well we can say that Denmark did better in this game than in our timeline and you have to fight to get Sweden into your SOI now

EDIT: also establish a protectorate over Sokoto

Last edited:
Just catch up m8.
Great AAR so far i learn much from this.
Am noob to this game, i play Greece now but the ecomomics is ... %^$&%&# :)
Waiting for the next update keep up the good work.
P.S. Can post a sreenshot from the economy tab?

Attacking Russia is pretty crazy, but with Prussia on your side it just might work...

Hey man, great work with Denmark there. I also managed a big font DUTCH AFRICA, but it remains hard to keep up vs the 'big' great powers. Placing a cavalry in their progress colony helps a lot.

also, big up for the Vicky II advisor. I had to find out those exact things you mention re: colonies, bureaucrats, RP, literacy, the hard way :p But after a while you get to figure it out easily; just sort a state's pops by size, and see if the biggest of groups have a decent literacy. So instead of an exact count, you'll get a feel for making an estimation. :)

I'm sure that 1000 military score in your coalition is more than enough to have a Remove-from-Sphere war with Russia.

Attacking Russia is pretty crazy, but with Prussia on your side it just might work...

I don't know, I've found that Russia is a big push-over militarily. As Sweden in 1.2 I've easily beat them three times already. They may have tons of mobilized brigades, but their technology is atrocious, and they generally don't have nearly as many standing brigades as you would expect. It really depends how much warscore you need for the remove from SOI wargoal. If it's not much, I think it's doable, if it's a lot, probably not, because Russia is so big that occupying its territory gives you very little warscore.

Rule Dania! Dania rules the waves!!

I agree with the calls for a cataclysmic war with Russia to nab Sweden. Any chance Russia might DOW the USA or China anytime soon? If their forces are all in the East, it could be real easy for you. Plus, they'll take a lot of attrition walking through Sweden to reach you, I bet.

I just thought of a problem with the war against Russia. Is there an add to sphere wargoal that you can use to directly take a country out of an enemy SOI and put it into yours? Because if you are limited to a remove from sphere wargoal, this war probably won't accomplish anything. If Sweden is allied with Russia and Russia calls them into the war, then you will not be able to influence them for 5 years after the war. As such, if all you did was remove them from the Russian sphere, 5 years later when you can finally influence them, I guarantee you that they will already be back in the Russian sphere. However, if Sweden is only sphered by Russia and not allied, then it could work.

Thanks for the inputs everyone!

also establish a protectorate over Sokoto

Sadly, I have 16.7 infamy, so will have start getting pretty choosy about who to attack when.

Any chance of attacking Russia in order to take Sweden from their SOI? Could be worth the infamy.
well we can say that Denmark did better in this game than in our timeline and you have to fight to get Sweden into your SOI now
I'm sure that 1000 military score in your coalition is more than enough to have a Remove-from-Sphere war with Russia.
I don't know, I've found that Russia is a big push-over militarily. As Sweden in 1.2 I've easily beat them three times already. They may have tons of mobilized brigades, but their technology is atrocious, and they generally don't have nearly as many standing brigades as you would expect. It really depends how much warscore you need for the remove from SOI wargoal. If it's not much, I think it's doable, if it's a lot, probably not, because Russia is so big that occupying its territory gives you very little warscore.
Rule Dania! Dania rules the waves!!

I agree with the calls for a cataclysmic war with Russia to nab Sweden. Any chance Russia might DOW the USA or China anytime soon? If their forces are all in the East, it could be real easy for you. Plus, they'll take a lot of attrition walking through Sweden to reach you, I bet.

A few things to consider re attacking The Bear:
(1) as mentioned earlier, my infamy is 16.7 - have to be careful.
(2) I have been indeed waiting for Russia to get into a major war with somebody, and so far they have not done so, just plinking off little Asian uncivs.
(3) My Prussian ally is currently getting beaten by Austria, may not be much help for a while :)
(4) Russia has managed to ally itself with France!

19001russia.jpg

I shall keep my eye out....

Just catch up m8.
Great AAR so far i learn much from this.
Am noob to this game, i play Greece now but the ecomomics is ... %^$&%&# :)
Waiting for the next update keep up the good work.
P.S. Can post a sreenshot from the economy tab?

thanks for the thanks! Update coming up in a little bit...

Hey man, great work with Denmark there. I also managed a big font DUTCH AFRICA, but it remains hard to keep up vs the 'big' great powers. Placing a cavalry in their progress colony helps a lot.

also, big up for the Vicky II advisor. I had to find out those exact things you mention re: colonies, bureaucrats, RP, literacy, the hard way :p But after a while you get to figure it out easily; just sort a state's pops by size, and see if the biggest of groups have a decent literacy. So instead of an exact count, you'll get a feel for making an estimation. :)

Thanks Juan! I agree that the cavalry helps a lot, but what really helped was starting to colonize decades before everyone else - beelining for Machine Guns/ N&I / Medicine seemed to work out very well.

Re 'estimating' literacy - good idea, actually, I never thought of that! Though using the advisor makes it even more painless ;)

I just thought of a problem with the war against Russia. Is there an add to sphere wargoal that you can use to directly take a country out of an enemy SOI and put it into yours? Because if you are limited to a remove from sphere wargoal, this war probably won't accomplish anything. If Sweden is allied with Russia and Russia calls them into the war, then you will not be able to influence them for 5 years after the war. As such, if all you did was remove them from the Russian sphere, 5 years later when you can finally influence them, I guarantee you that they will already be back in the Russian sphere. However, if Sweden is only sphered by Russia and not allied, then it could work.

Excellent point. Sweden is in an odd state - they are in Russia's sphere, but allied with me, and not Russia. And I believe the war goal is specifically to remove them from somebody else's SOI and add them to yours as an "atomic transaction" (forgive the nerdyness).

1900: The State of Things

1900: The State of Things

We're almost exactly 2/3 of the way through the game, and at the start of a new century, thought it might be useful to give an overview of the situation:

The World

Here's the state of the world:

19001world.jpg

(1) The USA is fighting back slowly, they've gotten Alaska and Hawaii

(2) that lovely maroon is Denmark, Queen of Africa!

(3) The OE has been doing just fine, chewing up Egypt, and not getting hassled by anyone

(4) Russia has annexed Afghanistan .... and then stopped. In particular, if you look (very) closely, you can see that Azerbaijan has gone independent, and Persia has just had a succesful rebellion, yet Russia has exploited neither. Oh well.

On to the rat race....

19001rankings.jpg

(1) The UK is awesomely powerful, as always, even with 3 rebellions :(

(2) Go, Denmark, Go!

(3) Check out the Chinese MIL score.

Denmark: an overview

Looking at the top strip, and the Denmark diplomacy placard:

19001strip.jpg

(1) still lagging Industrially, but it's come a long way, and 2nd only to the UK in Prestige.

(2) oodles of money.

(3) Literacy is only 53%, due to all the African annexations - due to heavy investment in the educational efficiency techs, it's climbing about 1%/yr. My RP are about where they were before I mistakenly over-converted low-literacy colonies.

(4) Infamy of 16.7 - almost all of that is due to the triple-goals against PT/NED

(5) allied with Prussia, Italy, Sweden, Holstein. Nice set.

(6) Populace is all the way up to 12.4M, but only 2 NF, as much of that isn't Danish. Militancy is still too low to let me put any reforms through

(7) soldier POPs coming along nicely.

The Budget and economy

As requested:

19001budget.jpg

Not much to say - rakin' in the pounds, even with only 10% tax on the rich.

This is mainly because Africa throws off tons of income:

19001prod.jpg

The Technologies

Army tech:

19001army.jpg

Navy tech - "Steel Steamers" is the killer tech that gives Cruisers.

19001navy.jpg

Commerce tech - "Stock Exchange" was probably not worth it:

19001culture.jpg

Culture tech - invested heavily in the +RP/Prestige track, and in the +Educational efficiency track:

19001realculture.jpg

Industry tech:

19001industry.jpg

The Political Situation

19001politics.jpg

(1) As you can see, the upper house is heavily fragmented, yet even with 23% socialist, and 32% liberal, I'm nowhere close to getting any reforms through (I think the number is something like 29% for social, and 38% for political) - I guess I have to keep cranking up that MIL score.

(2) Trinket pensions are the only social reform with much support.

(3) Looks like I'll be getting anarcho-liberal rebellion soon! Oh, the second event, in Danish, is the one about forming Scandinavia.

The Populace

19001pops.jpg

Population all the way up to 12.48M, from a start of around 500K. While the little red arrow shows overall pop declining, much of that is due to 'religious conversion', which I think actually isn't a pop loss, just a pop state-change. Surprisingly, Danes still form the plurality nationality.

Not much else to say - overall, after a rough patch getting things started, things are lookin' good.

Excellent point. Sweden is in an odd state - they are in Russia's sphere, but allied with me, and not Russia. And I believe the war goal is specifically to remove them from somebody else's SOI and add them to yours as an "atomic transaction" (forgive the nerdyness).

That's good to know about that CB, so it actually seems to be a decent goal for you to strive for if you cannot SOI them by diplomatic means. Plus, since they are not a Russian ally, you will still be able to influence them after sphering them. France as a Russian ally is probably the biggest issue now, how strong do they look militarily?