• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm going to try and post an update in the next day or so - only 4 years of Vic2 time, with 3 wars - one I win, one I tie, and one I lose :(. Sob.

anyone want to guess the other nation for each of these 3 wars? :) Show your prognisticatin' powers!

....Who are you projecting that power against? France or the UK easily outgun any fleet you could possibly afford. The uncivs typically won't build anything heavier than clippers.

There are a lot of other countries with fleets, principally all the other European powers (Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and its predecessors, Austria, Russia, OE, ...)

[Medicine is] certainly good, but not so much in the present situation. Denmark can't really field an army of a size where attrition becomes a big problem (unless they go fighting in the Sahara or Arabia), so supply issues aren't that relevant right now. Getting +1 to attack or defence would be an instant boost.

I got it more for the POP boost than the supply boost, which I agree is irrelevant right now. However, I think you're right, I probably should have gone with say +1 to Tactics instead (as you say w.r.t. Prussia, that first Tactics advance is _huge_).

I'm going to try and post an update in the next day or so - only 4 years of Vic2 time, with 3 wars - one I win, one I tie, and one I lose :(. Sob.

anyone want to guess the other nation for each of these 3 wars? :) Show your prognisticatin' powers!

I'm guessing - based on your comments - that the war you lose is against Prussia. Draw against Austria and win against Oranje would be my other guesses, but much less confident on those.

There are a lot of other countries with fleets, principally all the other European powers (Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and its predecessors, Austria, Russia, OE, ...)

True, although you'd be foolish to declare war against any of them right now and there's no point stretching yourself trying to defend a far-flung empire.

This is true, but if Prussia declares war they've got easy access to everywhere else. Prussia can just walk into Schleswig Holstein and Jutland via access agreements with its spherees.

On the other hand, Austria is unable to get to Denmark except via the sea (from the Med to the Baltic). If your relations with Austria are bad it might be worth keeping at least one Man 'o' War.

But when they walk into Schleswig-Holstein, you only have to defend one province (with a fort that is there at game start, I might add), and they cannot walk into Jutland through Sweden (plus, I doubt Russia will grant them military access in the first place...) as long as you just have one ship stationed in the Oresund. I've played Denmark in 1.2, and Prussia declared war on me for Schleswig-Holstein in 1838. I placed most of my navy in the Southern Baltic, which blocked the Prussians from launching any of their ships (all transports anyways), placed one transport in the Oresund, which prevented the Swedes from marching over into Copenhagen, and took a few ships to defeat the various small transport fleets of the German minors. Things went well, the Prussians built up a large force in Holstein, but then when tried to invade into Flensburg, I was able to beat them back. They attacked once more and lost again, and after that they agreed to a white peace. Thus, I had 5 years of respite and by that point, I was a GP and had formed Scandinavia, so the next time they tried to attack it was even easier.

So, Prussia really doesn't have easy access to anywhere early on, because their navy is almost 100% clipper transports, which you can easily defeat with your navy, and that means you can focus all your troops in Flensburg. As long as you've researched the second tier of military tactics, you should do OK.

No, thank you! Seriously, I really appreciate your efforts.
On a very-slightly-less-serious note - I'm a bit bummed by how close the Danish red is to the UK red. This will make it harder to distinguish my glorious expansion from their perfidious imperialism. Anyone have any recommendations for a good NOT-red color for the UK?

There are just so many different reds you can have, its hard to get several different ones that are easy to distinguish.
You could try giving the uk the one that swiss have, thats more intense and maybe better to make out.
Or making the uk red even brighter so it gets pinkish-white.
Another colour for the uk is also hard, they border EVERYTHING up to mars ;)
Maybe a neon-green or that bavarian blue could work, or the yellow that japan has now.

There are just so many different reds you can have, its hard to get several different ones that are easy to distinguish.
You could try giving the uk the one that swiss have, thats more intense and maybe better to make out.
Or making the uk red even brighter so it gets pinkish-white.
Another colour for the uk is also hard, they border EVERYTHING up to mars ;)
Maybe a neon-green or that bavarian blue could work, or the yellow that japan has now.

Yeah, quite the challenge. I'm thinking maybe instead I should go the other way, and switch Denmark from Red to White (their other color). I could take, say, the white that Austria uses, and then give Austria the mustard-yellow that's on their flag.

EDIT: wow, and I hadn't noticed, you're in Austria! The perfect person to ask - what's a good non-white color for Austria to have?

Last edited:
Yeah, quite the challenge. I'm thinking maybe instead I should go the other way, and switch Denmark from Red to White (their other color). I could take, say, the white that Austria uses, and then give Austria the mustard-yellow that's on their flag.
EDIT: wow, and I hadn't noticed, you're in Austria! The perfect person to ask - what's a good non-white color for Austria to have?

Austria is, and will allways be for me, the big white blob that it is, and was, since when i played Europa Universalis II with it. :D

But a good non-white color could be either a red (from the current flag), or a yellow-ish color (from the Habsburg flag),
maybe a light blue/light grey could be considered too (many Austrian uniforms had those colours in the KuK time).

From what I heard, they increased the maintainance cost for ships dramatically in the 1.2 patch. This makes it damn near impossible to play as Denmark, because of the terrible resources and large starting navy

Looks interesting and I've enjoyed your other AARs.

I've still to install V2 even though I bought it the day it hit the shops (need to finish my EU3 AAR first) so AARs explaining what's happening are fascinating!

Chapter 3: Small steps forwards, a big step backwards

Chapter 3: Small steps forwards, a big step backwards

Welcome back to the Danish AAR, in this episode, covering only 8 years (1843-1850), Denmark fights a whopping 4 wars, only 2 of them by choice.

First, my thanks to Dewirix, the only entrant (and hence the winner!) in my 'guess the opponents' contest! Guess this AAR isn't as widely read as I had deluded myself into believing :(.

Step 1: trying to repair V1.2 damage

The first thing I do, as per the earlier conversations in this forum (thanks all for the help!), is, to my great dismay, reduce the size of my navy - navy maintenance is now so expensive that even my small navy (3 Men of war, 3 frigates, 5 transports) was breaking my bank. I pare it down to what I consider the absolute minimum (if not beyond) - 3 Men of war, 1 frigate, 4 transports). This at least allows me to keep the armed forces at non-zero org without going bankrupt - I am basically hoping that a growing economy will eventually rescue me from this, until then I just can't see shrinking the navy any more than this.

African expansion

I then decide I can now try doing something fun, expanding my toehold in Africa. There are basically two options - 'Oranje' and 'Transvaal'. Looking at the 'infrastructure' map, I notice some things about them:

18438choice.jpg

(1) Oranje, the smaller one, has coal and iron - nice!
(2) Transvaal, the bigger one, has a factory going already!
(3) and precious metals
(4) and two forts!

It seems that Transvaal is becoming quite the little power. I decide that at this point, when my entire African force is 9K soldiers which I can barely keep out of the 'red', organizationally, that I will start small, with Oranje - I DOW them in September 1843, and avoid becoming the laughingstock of Europe (and this forum :)) by defeating them, though not easily. I am one weak European power.

I Haz Powerz

The game seems to disagree with me, as in November 1843 it announces that I am....

184311gp.jpg

a great power!. Huzzah!

Looking at my political decisions, the gain from having Sweden enter my SOI is very large, so I put almost all my priority into that - otherwise I just put a little into influencing Transvaal, Netherlands (I can hope), and Madagascar, just to keep others out (by the way, this latter turns out to be a forlorn hope, as France blasts past me at light speed and a few years later puts Madagascar into its SOI. Oh well).

Unwanted war #1: Portugal

A few months later, while I am munching my way through Oranje, Portugal, of all people, DOWs me in February 1844. I guess they are jealous of another power horning in on Africa. Or something (shrug). I dodge a bullet here, as Portugal is allied with a heart-stopping set of friends: the UK, Prussia, and the Netherlands, yet thankfully doesn't call them. Phew. I do call my sole ally, Belgium, which bails on me. Jerks.

So there we are in Africa, where my little 'red' army gets attacked by --- a little 'red' portugese army! We fight a 'battle of the midgets':

18444midgets.jpg

Thankfully, I win the battle. A little later, I add in about half of my small Oranje invasion force, and the united tiny invading force, to my amazement, is able to conquer its way up the eastern coast of Africa, knocking off one Portugese province after another.

While this is happening, I finally annex Oranje in August 1844 - it's region (1) below:

18448map.jpg

I'm feeling generally good about how things are going, when one little thing and then one very big thing go wrong. First, the little thing - the Portugese start landing little siege forces in some of my provinces like Greenland and the Faroe islands - as I feared, I just don't have anything like the navy needed to protect all my little colonies.

The very big thing is much worse, as in February 1845

I get DOWed by Austria!

_978449_home_alone.jpg

Uh-oh!

War vs. Austria - the initial steps

The very first thing that happens is somewhat positive, as Portugal, which had been refusing all offers for a 'white peace', now that Austria is attacking me, decides - to offer a white peace! Say what? I accept gladly - now it's 'just' me vs. Austria.

At first, I'm thinking I might actually be able to survive this - they're Austria, they should have little to no Navy, right? Also, they're Austria, they have no land or allies near me - they shouldn't be able to attack me via Germany, right? Well, not so lucky....

War vs. Austria - the horror begins to dawn...

By coincidence, I had just been moving my (1 Frigate + Transports) half of the navy from Africa back to Denmark when war broke out. My first sign that this war is not going to go as expected comes when this fleet gets attacked off the coast of western Africa by 4 Austrian frigates. WTF? I shrug - the AI is known for bizarre deployments, maybe this is where Austria decided to put its navy - good news, if so.

My second sign that this is not going to go as I had hoped comes in June 1845, the 3rd month of the war, when my main navy (the 3 Men of War), which I had hovering near my home waters, gets attacked by another fleet of 4 Austrian frigates. I have a good leader, with capital ships, against 4 Frigates - I defeat it (though taking some damage) - surely, now I can breathe easy on the high seas.

My third sign that this is not going as I had hoped comes the very next month, when a third stack of another 4 Austrian frigates attacks. I win again

18459win2.jpg

But the fleet is now heavily damaged, and limps into port. But surely now I can breathe easy, right?

My fourth sign that this is not going as I had hoped comes the very next month (October 1845), when somehow a force of 20K Austrian soldiers shows up on the doorstep of my souther Ally, Holstein - somehow they have made it across Germany by land. Luckily, I had my army close by, it's able to join with the Holstein army in time, and I defeat it.

184510win.jpg

Surely now I can breathe easy, right?

My fifth sign that this is not going as I had hoped comes the very next month (November 1845) when three more stacks of 4-frigate-sized Austrian navies show up and wrap a blockade around Denmark.

I finally decide to check things out, and see that ...

1845237ships.jpg

the Austrian navy has an incredible 37 ships. OH MY GOD! There are two questions here - how were they able to build it, and how were they able to maintain it? The second question first - after finishing this chapter of the AAR, I actually went back and loaded up Austria - their gross income is £641, nineteen times mine. They can handle having a navy 6 times bigger than mine. As to how they were able to build it - I don't know what size navy Austria starts with, but they must have been cranking out warships from Trieste pretty much nonstop from day 1, dontcha think?

War vs. Austria - Prussian brain damage

OK, but then how were they able to march their soldiers up to their doorstep? It's bad enough that Prussia has never fought them, freeing them to pick on little old me (though why this fixation on me, when they are right next to Serbia, Wallachia, northern Italy, etc. - all would seem much more logical targets?), but it's worse - when I load up Austria, I see that Prussia granted them military access. No emoticons can correctly convey my emotion here - unbelievable.

At any rate, on we go.

War vs. Austria - the horror grows

OK, so the Austrian navy is blockading Denmark. That means, among other things, that my army, which went to repel the land invasion, can no longer make it back to Copenhangen. Oops. But not to worry, as I repelled their invasion, right? Wrong. The Austrians reach into their Military Bag of Holding and pull out another stack of 20K soldiers, who they land on my island in the Baltic. Once that falls, they walk into Sweden, and then start walking towards Copenhagen.

My only, only chance is to send my battered navy out to try and break the Austrian blockade - if they can succeed, they can stop the Austrians from walking in to the capital.

As you might expect by now :), this doesn't work out either:

not only do the Austrians have an excellent admiral in place, but they have 8 full-strength frigates in place against my two heavily damaged men-of-war. (this grab is taken during the middle of the battle, after they have already sunk 1 MOW).

I decide that I may as well quit while some of my navy is still afloat, and give in - Austria gets to rip off the southern chunk of Denmark in July 1846

18467statusn.jpg

(1) shows the tattered remnants of my navy
(2) shows the Austrian strip ripped from Denmark

Ouch

Well, that was painful :).
The 'good news', to the extent that there is any, is that Austria has now 'cauterized' me from the rest of Europe - if anyone wants to walk into Denmark now, they will have to either be Austria, or have Austria let them cross. A small, small, silver lining, but hey I'll take what I can get.

Changing perspectives, though, I must say, the AI did an excellent job fighting this campaign - they had mutually reinforcing fleets which swarmed me, imposed a naval blockade, pinned me out of position, and then moved on the capital. Really well done!

Crawling back....

Somehow, I have been able to keep GP status through this, and I decide I may as well pick myself up off the ground and try to bounce back. A few small positive steps here:

(1) In October 1847 the Transvaal enters my SOI - no biggie, but I'm grateful for any positive steps at this point.

(2) In March 1848
18483slavery.jpg

I get a random event that lets me outlaw slavery, this helps my production significantly in the Danish west indies, and I hope will be a boon if/when I expand into inner Africa.

(3) In March 1848 I get to act the proper imperialist, as I get a 'cut down to size' CB on Hedjaz, which I am able to exploit - it takes a while to move troops into position, but I DOW them in November 1848, and just 4 months later they cave - not bad work for 10 prestige.

(4) Speaking of prestige, my earlier acquiring of Idealism and Medicine continue to bring in Prestige dividends - I am something like #5 in the world in prestige now.

I have not been focusing on the prestige techs in this period, by the way, focusing on more crucial things like the Army (I get the one that gives better tactics), the Navy (I get the one that gives better Org), and Industry (I go for 'practical steam engine', the one that increases farm production 20% - I am just so sick of having no money). When this session ends, I have decided to splurge and invest in a level 3 Culture tech, the next one up on the plurality-giving/NF-giving chain, as it will allow me to become a consitutional monarchy, only a few years behind historical - i really like the election part of this game :)

I'll end this at the start of 1850, as a battered Denmark continues to try to make its way through this cold cruel Victorian world :) - wish me luck!

1.2 has certainly become far more nasty towards the player... good! :D The DoW from Portugal is perfectly reasonable, you had a shared border with their colony in Mozambique, so why not expand at your expense? The DoW from Austria (with that war goal anyway) is less so... the Prussians giving access to the Austrians I have no problem with, but in the moment that access gets used for a war against someone in their perceived sphere (and Denmark should definitely be in the perceived sphere of Prussia) it should be immediately removed. There is no way Prussia would happily stand there looking at the Austrians take a chunk of Denmark...

I'd focus on improving relations with Prussia and wait for the next (inevitable) Prussian-Austrian war to jump and get your land back.

I think the religious conversion shows that that amount of population stopped being Zulu animists, thus getting removed from the pop register, and then became Zulu protestants. Sadly, this is not shown as "added". I base this on my experiences, as I have never seen a postive number before "religious conversion", and yet, I have seen local, but converted pops where there were non before. But yeah, the pop change indicators are in a serious need of an overhaul. The best is when a pop gets thnigs like: 1200 bureaucrats: 1 will promote to bureaucrat and 1 will demote to bureaucrat, which means that there is an unneeded calculation loop.

I wish you luck. :)

Hopefully Austro-Prussian relations won't always be this amicable and you can take advantage of one of their seemingly endless brother's wars to take back what you lost.

Austria did exactly the same thing to Denmark in my current Prussia game, with exactly the same outcome. However, I didn't give them access, so they just used their vast navy to ferry troops to Denmark.

The AI seems to love building ships. I've never come close to matching an AI navy-size wise, relying on superior technology and concentration of forces. If you keep your navy in two stacks you can cycle one out just before month-end to a naval base. If it's there at the start of the new month all ships get repaired by 10% and regain organisation. In this way you can take on bigger forces, although not really practical with only three ships.

I agree with the comments that suggest you should wait for the Austro-Prussian wars to start. Part of your problem is that as a tiny GP you can't get sphered by a big protector.

Thanks for the inputs all!

Well this AAR has certainly scared me off playing as Denmark. lol

well, it certainly is, shall we say, challenging :), but it's part of the fun - if I wanted a cake-walk I'd just play the UK.

1.2 has certainly become far more nasty towards the player... good! :D

I agree with you in spirit but not in letter - I think that when they changed the naval costs in 1.2 they just forgot to decrease navy sizes accordingly for small powers (the fact that Portugal attacked me with a tiny 'red' stack makes me suspect they are hosed in the same way Denmark was) - I would have felt better if they would have given Denmark half as big a navy to start, and not just left it to me to (eventually) figure out that my initial navy was bankrupting me - one usually presumes that an initial force setup is not brain-damaged ;)

The DoW from Portugal is perfectly reasonable, you had a shared border with their colony in Mozambique, so why not expand at your expense?

I agree - this seemed reasonable to me too.

... the Prussians giving access to the Austrians I have no problem with...

really? This seemed nonsensical to me -when would ever give access to your natural enemy? for one thing, doesn't it make it harder to DOW them?

I'd focus on improving relations with Prussia and wait for the next (inevitable) Prussian-Austrian war to jump and get your land back.

I've got Prussia relations at 200 - what else can/should I be doing?

I think the religious conversion shows that that amount of population stopped being Zulu animists, thus getting removed from the pop register, and then became Zulu protestants. Sadly, this is not shown as "added".

this seems plausible to me too - thanks.

I wish you luck. :)

thanks for the good wishes - looks like I need them! :)

I agree with the comments that suggest you should wait for the Austro-Prussian wars to start. Part of your problem is that as a tiny GP you can't get sphered by a big protector.

Hopefully Austro-Prussian relations won't always be this amicable and you can take advantage of one of their seemingly endless brother's wars to take back what you lost.

Agreed - that's my hope/plan. It does worry me though that we're up to 1850 and Prussia has DOWed no-one, let alone Austria.

The AI seems to love building ships

which seems reasonble, I just didn't see (a) how they could afford it, and (b) why Austria, of all people, would pick this strategy over, say, munching on the OE, or expanding into Italy. Just seems odd.

A tough start, but very interesting. One of the things I have always liked in the core Paradox games is the way you have to struggel against the odds.

I always have Austria knocking on my door when I try and expand denmark, don't understand why