• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to popular opinion, J'aime.

A meme is an idea/saying/cultural practice that spreads rapidly, and evolves over time. I.E "Comet Sighted" is a meme on these forums or "EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!" is a meme among Doctor Who fans...

Please, no. That's not what a meme is.

A meme is an idea/saying/cultural practice that spreads rapidly, and evolves over time. I.E "Comet Sighted" is a meme on these forums or "EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!" is a meme among Doctor Who fans...

They ARE memes which glacon2 used!

A meme in this scenario is the pictures - there are literally thousands of variations of both of those pictures, some have gone viral some haven't. What HAS gone viral is the pictures themselves and in a lot of cases, they are modified for "in-jokes" all the time.

So, in light of actually having a bit of fun with this thread instead of being a killjoy, here is mine =)

27084198.jpg

They ARE memes which glacon2 used!

A meme in this scenario is the pictures - there are literally thousands of variations of both of those pictures, some have gone viral some haven't. What HAS gone viral is the pictures themselves and in a lot of cases, they are modified for "in-jokes" all the time.

So, in light of actually having a bit of fun with this thread instead of being a killjoy, here is mine =)

No, that is not what a meme is. The definition above was correct. Nyancat would be a 'meme', even if it's an insufferable one. These are pictures with captions entirely unrelated to the picture which are injokes, which could be made more original via a different medium and at the same time be more relateable and humorous. There's no effort put into them, you might as well just make a 'funny things that happen to me' thread.

Going on reddit/9gag does not make you an expert at memes.

I can't draw BUT IF I COULD OH THE COMICS I WOULD MAKE, ORIGINAL CONTENT.

No, that is not what a meme is. The definition above was correct. Nyancat would be a 'meme', even if it's an insufferable one. These are pictures with captions entirely unrelated to the picture which are injokes, which could be made more original via a different medium and at the same time be more relateable and humorous. There's no effort put into them, you might as well just make a 'funny things that happen to me' thread.

I think you are still missing the point... The memes are the underlying "joke"... High expectation Asian Father (which as Qemarar said wasn't used correctly though), Angry School boy, Scumbag Steve... etc

And if you want to get technical, the exact definition is "An image, video, etc. that is passed electronically from one Internet user to another." there is no mention of how many people need to see / share it for it to be considered a meme.

The memes are the underlying "joke"...
No, a meme is a popular internet reference, you're just describing an image macro, which doesn't even cover a fraction of the memes today.

And if you want to get technical, the exact definition is "An image, video, etc. that is passed electronically from one Internet user to another." there is no mention of how many people need to see / share it for it to be considered a meme.
Of course there isn't any mention of the amount of people that have to share it, because its an unwritten norm.
One cannot decide if a picture is a meme or not, as it has to have some visual popularity before it'll be become a meme.
90% of the pictures posted in the meme threads here on Paradox are just forced, and even tho some of them might be funny, it doesn't make them more of a meme.
Image macros are the worst quality memes these days, try making some original content for once.

5 star post.

Avoid destroying your social reputation by not using memes. Trust me, nobody is impressed by memes. Original content kills memes because the truth of the matter is, once you see a particular meme, you've seen them all.

I don't really care what it is called. Some of them are funny. Don't like it? Don't look.

*wonders if theres any such thread for HoI3... goes looking

Status
Not open for further replies.