• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rudders10

Colonel
74 Badges
Sep 20, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pride of Nations
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
PLaying AHD. Am Ireland and created casus belli to make Madagascar a ouppet state. Have now done so but I thought that this was the same as making it a protectorate, in other words mine. Seems not. Is now called Irish Madagascar but its status is puppet and I cant build etc there. What exactly is a puppet in this context as they are already building troops. Can you still make protecterates?

Cheers

A puppet as the same as without the expansion, like Wallachia and Moldavia at the beginning of the game. The wargoal makes the country your puppet. I think you will have do conquest wargoal to annex them.

Bugger, that's what I thought. Will have to do that all over again :)

PLaying AHD. Am Ireland and created casus belli to make Madagascar a ouppet state. Have now done so but I thought that this was the same as making it a protectorate, in other words mine. Seems not. Is now called Irish Madagascar but its status is puppet and I cant build etc there. What exactly is a puppet in this context as they are already building troops. Can you still make protecterates?

Cheers

puppets existed in vanilla too. Basically, they will always come at war and they can't have outside diplomacy. They will always ALWAYS be there to help you (unless they get sphered by the country you war)

A puppet as the same as without the expansion, like Wallachia and Moldavia at the beginning of the game. The wargoal makes the country your puppet. I think you will have do conquest wargoal to annex them.

Not quite - without the expansion, a puppet was stuck. Now they can declare war on their master to gain their freedom. Other than that, no real change.

I puppeted Denmark as Prussia and all that happened was that Holstein was unpuppeted. Same influence as before and so on. So no, puppets are not inherited unfortunately.

regards

I don't know but I guess it works the way multiple PUs work in EUIII. There it is like this. I was playing as Spain and forced Sicily into a PU. They in turn had Provence in a PU. The result was that the ruler was the same but you didn't get the dicplomatic bonus/alliance with them.

So I guess if you puppet the Chinese Empire, their substates and puppet will still be puppets/substates of China and not yours. So you don't get to control them in any relevant way.