• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Myth, ever heard of air supply? :rolleyes: If your imaginary planes can drop troops into Switzerland they can drop supplies too. And the best part is, if the Germans want to shoot them down they'll have to build an imaginary air force of their own.

That's where you might run into trouble, Goering is an expert at imaginary warfare. He was always pretending the Luftwaffe could do more than it actually could. :D

True that.
That's the problem with imaginary warfare - the Germans always win. :D
Except the generals. They were good. The high command was the imaginary expert. :D

I know you're talking about imaginary high command, because in this universe the German high command is nothing but the world's finest minds combined into a single efficient organism, otherwise known as myself.

Myth said:
Erkki1: hey, we need the Siberians to run Magnitogorsk and the Ukrainians to farm for us! I suggest Kazakhs instead, spearheaded by the mighty Borat ;)

comment day again (and what a day of comments!)

But then who will run the industry in central asia? Hmmm... your gonna have some problems sitting and thinking who are the less needed people's in your huge country :D maybe you should use the Turks you just conquered?

I think what we're saying is the imaginary-imaginary high-command...
o_O
o_O
Confusing. :D

Discomb said:
I know you're talking about imaginary high command, because in this universe the German high command is nothing but the world's finest minds combined into a single efficient organism, otherwise known as myself.
I'd hate to see what your power struggles look like. :p Maybe one lobe's the General Staff and the other's the Fuhrer. If that's the case you should be fully bipolar by the end of the game.

VILenin: right, air supply. with catapults. what if I want to send birthday cake? :p

ColossusCrusher: and given that this game plays out the war in an imaginary world...people, I think we've found out why Germany is so overpowered in HoI2! :p

Discomb: so you have the minds of Hitler and Keitel in there? ;)

Erkki1: true, true...maybe I'll just steal some Persians? :p

ColossusCrusher: imaginary high commands are always fun :D

VILenin: his right lobe is the fuhrer and it wants to purge the left lobe! :eek:

update coming up!

7 Kilometers east of Mersin
May 16, 1936

Kuznetsov sat heavily down and wiped the sweat off his brow, watching as his command staff set up the last of the headquarters equipment at its new location. He sat in the relative cool of the interior of the house that had been commandeered, just staring blankly outside. He had seen heat waves rising from the ground, due to the savagely warm Mediterranean summer, even in the south Turkish mountains. He had abandoned his greatcoat long ago, it was packed away somewhere in a truck. Fortunately it was evening and the sun was finally halting its daily offensive against his poor men, who were unused to such heat.

Fortunately for them, their own offensive against the Turks in Gazientep would begin at night. Kuznetsov was getting impatient; he could tell that the end was near. He could not foresee many more difficulties with either the Turkish remnants in the southeast or with the Greeks and Bulgarians around Istanbul. However, he still had cause to worry, as the Germans had begun an offensive through Bulgaria on the 13th. However, to his bewilderment, they seemed to be headed toward Sofia rather than Istanbul, having attacked and defeated Bulgarian forces in Pleven. He could not understand this, given the obvious importance of Istanbul.

However, after his panic attack on 5th, Kuznetsov had become more relaxed, somehow. He had become resigned to the future. He didn’t know what it would hold but he knew that his subordinates were doing their best, without his prompting, to bring the campaign to a successful close. He could only do the same, doing justice to their best efforts with similar efforts of his own and maybe, just maybe, all the strategic objectives set forth would be attained. Kuznetsov took a deep breath and sighed determinedly. The Turks had to be pushed out of Gazientep. He knew, however, that it would be a difficult battle.

He had returned Marchenkov’s corps to Berman for utilization in that area some time earlier; Berman had placed him at Izmir to prevent the five Greek divisions from moving onto the Anatolian peninsula from the Dardanelles. Two days earlier, Marchenkov had actually been inserted into Istanbul, supported by naval gunfire by Panteleiev’s ships, but his three divisions, badly controlled by a divisional headquarters, were outnumbered by eight Bulgarian divisions. This, however, had the unwanted side effect of leaving Izmir unguarded. Thus, Kuznetsov had sent Saladze marching back to guard Izmir, and also to serve as an emergency reserve for use at Istanbul, much as Marchenkov had been.

Thus, he was quite satisfied that Berman would, despite the handicap of not having a large enough staff, handle the situation well enough, even if only through weight of numbers rather than tactical finesse. The real challenge, Kuznetsov believed, would be at Gazientep. At the moment, he had under his command two quite tired mountain divisions against an estimated one infantry division, but with a heavy artillery brigade attached. He knew that this would be quite a challenge and did not expect that they would actually make any headway. He wondered why he was actually attacking, then.

Thinking about it, he realized that it was slightly futile. They would make no headway and served only to remind the enemy of their presence and perhaps keep them pinned, which was perhaps slightly counterproductive, given that he had no additional force to flank around and hit them from the side or rear. Standing up quickly, he could already hear the thunder of the artillery begin. It was too late for him to halt it before it began; the mountaineers were already moving forward.

035-01-AtackingGazientepAgain.png

The attack on Gazientep by Kuznetsov’s two divisions.

Kuznetsov vacillated. He didn’t know whether to send out runners to break off the attack or let it peter out by itself, given that his mountaineers were not ready for a real battle. He stared at the map that had just been tacked up to the wall by two orderlies, biting his lip. The Turks had one division at Gazientep and another at Elazig, which was apparently advancing on Kayseri. It seemed that the Turks were keen on outflanking Kuznetsov and perhaps even attempting to inflict a major defeat on his corps. Staring harder at the map, he frowned. Was the Turkish division at Gazientep marching north toward Kayseri as well? Looking closer, the map indicated that it was.

Kuznetsov quickly sucked in breath between his teeth. His mountaineers might be interfering with a redeployment that would leave Gazientep undefended. He threw himself off the chair and ran into the next room, where his staff had finally finished setting up the last of their sensitive equipment and were relaxing, chatting idly with each other. Surprised by his hasty entrance, they all jumped up as he called out to them as a group. “I want runners to the frontlines, now! Pull the attack back! No, don’t question me! The enemy’s making a mistake and I don’t want to make him change his mind! Pull it back, as quickly as you can!”

His staff had begun scurrying about even before he was finished talking despite a handful of questioning faces cast his way, many rushing to radios or out the door. Satisfied, he leaned against the door frame with a slight smile on his face. If he was lucky, the Turks would make their mistake. With luck, they would abandon Gazientep and then he could march in without a fight. Granted, such a tactic would prolong the campaign but it would lead to a less bloody end. Kuznetsov had already exceeded STAVKA’s timetable by month or so, he knew that another month would not hurt. Not as long as Berman accomplished his mission and secured Istanbul, at least. Kuznetsov had the luxury of waiting in front of Gazientep, but he had to rush events at Istanbul. This was why he returned Marchenkov’s and Saladze’s corps to the area after all; Berman would appreciate them much more than he would another telephone call.

Like Napoleon said, never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake. ;)

But then his left lobe must want to blow up the right lobe with a suitcase bomb!
Or suitcase nuke, for pwnage-points.

VILenin: precisely :D

ColossusCrusher: ouch, that must hurt :eek:

Discomb: how about "your enemy is an interruption that isn't a mistake"? :p

comment day again ;)

"Your mistake is never interrupting your enemy."

Wait, that actually makes sense for once.

Anyway, I guess the true meaning of Napoleon's words was, never walk in on your enemy having unprotected sex.

It seems like Kuznetovs timetable does have a pretty strong foundation, he should be careful though, it may burst one day :p .

Discomb said:
"Your mistake is never interrupting your enemy."

Wait, that actually makes sense for once.

Anyway, I guess the true meaning of Napoleon's words was, never walk in on your enemy having unprotected sex.
Amen. :D Instead, just steal their stuff while they're distracted.

Discomb: but, why not? I mean, unprotected sex leads to babies leads to more manpower! :eek: so if you're walking in on them having unprotected sex, then you're interdicting their supply of (future) troops right at the start! :p

General Jac: yeah...he should be more careful, period :p

VILenin: that would also work :D

update coming up!

20 kilometers north of Riga
May 20, 1936

Vasilevskij arrived in Riga at 0700 in the morning and left northward within the hour, displeased and eager to gain another victory to replace that which he had missed in Lithuania. The lakes and swamps north of Kaunas had slowed his advance sufficiently that the Germans, marching from the west, reached the city first. The Lithuanian government surrendered to them rather than his corps, which had been barely five kilometers away from the city, having just at that moment finally broken free of the restricted terrain and gathered itself for the last dash to the city. They had, however, met the Germans. Vasilevskij admitted that the Germans had been very cordial, but he could see in their eyes that they were quite pleased at having beaten Soviet armor to the city. Vasilevskij had merely gritted his teeth and turned his armor back into Latvia.

That had been three days earlier, on the 17th. At the moment, Vasilevskij’s armor was pouring across the Estonian border north of Riga. His own corps was being supported by three divisions of the 3rd Baltic Front, the other three currently in Opochka, with Zhukov. Vasilevskij had to smile; Zhukov had had no luck whatsoever. STAVKA had eventually tired of his endless advance toward Dvinsk and sent him and his infantry support, the other half of the 3rd Baltic Front, northward into Opochka and from thence onward toward Gulbene. He was still en route and would most likely miss this invasion as well, Vasilevskij thought lightly. He and Zhukov were good friends, but also rivals and the Baltic campaigns were putting him in the limelight rather than Zhukov.

However, his forces were not the only ones pushing into Estonia. The 2nd Baltic Front, massed at Pskov, was involved as well, assaulting Estonian positions around Voru. The six rifle divisions and two motorized rifle divisions of the 1st Baltic Front, whose actual commander was Major General Berzarin, though Vasilevskij knew he did not have the actual rank yet, was also attacking, at Narva. The 1st Baltic Front was comprised of the 21st, 24th, 31st, 34th, 41st and 44th Rifle Corps, as well as the 13th and 16th Motorized Rifle Corps. Of these formations, none were stronger than one division and only three actually had commanders; Berzarin commanded the 21st Rifle Corps, Major General Golikov the 41st Rifle Corps and Major General S.I. Belov the 13th Motorized Rifle Corps.

036-01-InvasionofEstonia.png

The invasion of Estonia, which was put under pressure from every land direction.

Bored, Vasilevskij reviewed the invasion plan again, even though he was confident that his corps alone could destroy the entire Estonian army without much trouble. At Narva, Berzarin’s 3rd Baltic Front was pushing across against what was probably the heaviest Estonian resistance; Colonel General Jaakson defended the town with a division of infantry and a brigade of armored cars. Additionally, Berzarin’s men had to assault across the Narva River into a very swampy area. Vasilevskij expected little progress on that front due to these factors, as well as the ever present command and control difficulties. Vasilevskij snorted, perhaps the only thing the attack on Narva could achieve would be to push the defenders there back into Tallinn; not that Vasilevskij minded, every successful battle would increase his stature and bring him closer to achieving his ambition.

036-02-BattleofNarva.png

The battle of Narva.

At Voru, six Soviet rifle divisions were challenged by a severely under strength Estonian cavalry division; it would be more accurate, Vasilevskij reflected, to call it a couple battalions. These men were led by Major General Reimann, one of the more skilful generals the Estonians possessed, and a sensible logistician besides. Nevertheless, Vasilevskij was sure that he could do no more than delay the 2nd Baltic Front, temporarily under the command of Major General M.I. Kazakov, commander of its 40th Rifle Corps, until STAVKA found a real commander for it. Vasilevskij knew that Kazakov was out of his depth, commanding the equivalent of two corps at a time when he had the experience and staff to command only a division, yet the Estonians were spread so thinly that it didn’t matter at all. His situation in this regard wasn’t as bad as Berzarin’s, anyway.

036-04-BattleofVoru.png

The battle for Voru.

Vasilevskij’s own forces were pushing through Pärnu. He knew that he too was over his command limit; commanding six divisions. However, he had a full corps headquarters staff; he could satisfactorily command his own 1st Tank Corps, which was all that he believed necessary to defeat the Estonians. He knew that his corps hadn’t rested a single moment since the invasion of Latvia thirteen days earlier, yet they were still raring for battle. Vasilevskij was almost disappointed that the Estonian forces arrayed against his advance could possibly be the least effective of them all. Though they had placed a full infantry division in his path, along with a brigade of engineers, their commander, who specialized in engineering, was Major General Kurvits. Vasilevskij knew that he had, in Vasilevskij’s own opinion, virtually no skill whatsoever. Vasilevskij smiled, he would be a push over.

036-03-BattleofParnu.png

The battle for Pärnu.

Vasilevskij stretched and took a deep breath. He almost could not wait to go to war with the Germans. Unlike the Baltic States, they would be a real challenge. Vasilevskij smiled wolfishly; he enjoyed contests of skill and he was sure that the inevitable war with Germany over the fate of the entire continent would depend greatly on skill, daring and persistence. Vasilevskij had all three characteristics in abundance and he wished to truly test them. He was eager for the greatest clash of arms the world would ever see.

Suddenly a thought snuck into his head; a mind such as his was truly terrifying. It was a mind that could conceive and execute a plan that would lead to the deaths of thousands in a day and hundreds of thousands in a month. Vasilevskij’s wolfish smile became overshadowed by his eyes, which would have frightened anyone who had dared look into them.

Man, I cannot believe you are still muckin about in Turkey. At least your Baltic campaign went quickly and relatively smoothly. Maybe you might want to loan Kutzenov some troops so he can end that stalemate.

Just thought I'd quote an unrelated segment of a discussion I'm having with Myth right now. He made a quote of great worth.

usa and uk were both omgomg battleships! then there were seperate events (the most notable was pearl harbor for the usa) that made them go omg battleships suck, omgomg carriers!

whereas japan went omgomg battleships!
and then, ...heh, carriers can be useful. but still, omgomg battleships!

basically, japan didn't really learn that battleships didn't suck against aircraft (carriers)