• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I could be mistaken, but my impression is that MIN is not supposed to ever be used, for whatever reason.
Well, turns out you weren't mistaken, MIN tag really was the issue. It was one of the few left to use and I stubbornly wanted to use it. But I switched to UD8, and sure enough on the very first try, the Sa Ma Clique was right there on the map.

Thanks friend, you learn something everyday

Anyone able to help me? Still no luck.
Downloaded your file @Tommy Vercetti but I didn't find anything wrong with it. What is the problem exactly?

Well, turns out you weren't mistaken, MIN tag really was the issue. It was one of the few left to use and I stubbornly wanted to use it. But I switched to UD8, and sure enough on the very first try, the Sa Ma Clique was right there on the map.

Thanks friend, you learn something everyday

Downloaded your file @Tommy Vercetti but I didn't find anything wrong with it. What is the problem exactly?
They game won't play my music its weird.

Anyone able to help me? Still no luck.
Well, here is the list of things that don't work:
- re-creating music list from scratch with a new name does not work
- inserting your music list into other lists wholesale does not work
- inserting your music tracks individually into other lists does not work
- renaming your music tracks so that they have names of existing musical tracks does not work
It seems Darkest Hour just won't read your music files now matter how I try to smuggle them in.

I have seen similar complains here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/changing-music-in-dh.549943/
Apparently the problem may be with the music files' ID3 tags, which can be removed with certain software.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While looking for the penalty a fleet is supposed to get when not having sufficient screens for its capital ships I found the following in misc.txt:

Code:
# Fleet positioning  in naval combat - Fleet composition [Screens vs Capitals ratio; It can be between 0.0 (enough screens) and 1.0 (only capital ships)] modifier
    -0.5 #-0.5

-0.5 looked weird to me, so I changed it to 0.0... from the description I'd expect a fleet without enough screens getting a penalty not to the combat stats (which could be easily seen) but to positioning. Wether it really changes "positioning" or not is unfortunately not easily to see since we are given only the final positioning percentage but not what boni/mali are calculated for it. So difficult to be sure but from viewing battles I get the feeling it does NOT change positioning. Just to make sure I also changed it to 0.5, again no visible change in positioning. As a matter of fact, positioning was in the same repeated sea battle in all 3 cases exactly the same.

Perhaps somebody has some experience in using or rather changing this setting and what it exactly does?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Perhaps somebody has some experience in using or rather changing this setting and what it exactly does?
I've been racking my brain a lot about which plus or minus sign should be set to this coefficient, so that it would work as a penalty when there is a shortage of screens.
Because in vanilla DH, the description of this coefficient mathematically contradicts the used coefficient. o_O

# Fleet positioning in naval combat - Fleet composition [Screens vs Capitals ratio; It can be between 0.0 (enough screens) and 1.0 (only capital ships)] modifier
-0.5 #-0.5

That is, Devs claim that this coefficient should be between 0 and 1, but set it between 0 and -1. o_O

Therefore, I do not understand where the error is - in the description of this coefficient or in the established coefficient.

I tried to ask this question here on the forum, but I'm not sure I got qualified answers.

It would be nice if someone who has the opportunity to look at the insides of the game engine checked this coefficient and would tell us exactly where the mistake is - in the description of the coefficient or in the minus sign of this coefficient?

Since I still do not know where the truth is and how this coefficient works, I preferred to set it to 0, as the only position that satisfies both options - with minus or plus sign.
At the same time, I also did not notice any big difference in battles when I tried to set it 0.5 or -0.5 or 0
And I also thought, what the hell it is good, that the incomprehensible coefficient does not seem to have much effect on the fight. :D

Last edited:
That is, Devs claim that this coefficient should be between 0 and 1, but set it between 0 and -1.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But my fear that it would even give a bonus to fleets without enough screens I couldn't verify, though.

And I also thought, what the hell it is good, that the incomprehensible coefficient does not seem to have much effect on the fight.

Well, if the whole mechanic is, indeed, not working correctly, the very unfortunate sideeffect is that the best fleet often enough might be composed of only capital ships. So I guess Pasha's remark in another thread was correct that this is probably best posted in the bug section.

Thanks for the answere.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I thought. But my fear that it would even give a bonus to fleets without enough screens I couldn't verify, though.
I bet, this is just because you and me have technical education, not humanitarian. :) And so we understand that an error of "+ or -" can lead to the fall of a passenger plane or to the overturning of ship. :D

Well, if the whole mechanic is, indeed, not working correctly,
I'm not saying that the mechanics works incorrectly, perhaps it works correctly, it's just that we, the users, would like to understand how it works.

By the way, I'm not worried that players can use battleships without screens.
This is hindered by submarines. At least in multiplayer, the main reason to use destroyers together with battleships is not a "bonus to positioning", but enemy submarines.

Reactions:
Got some models that won't work in game, they are BMP. If someone wants to see why they won't work feel free to help me out.

Attachments

• DH KR NEW Models 3 11 23 Edited.rar
    698,4 KB · Views: 0
If i put a minister 2 or 3 times into the files for Germany with different ideology will the game show me the one according to my countries ideology? For example if Germany wins the war someone like Helmut Schmidt could still become a politician but more conservative so he would be paternal autocrat and not social liberal or whatever.

Got some models that won't work in game, they are BMP. If someone wants to see why they won't work feel free to help me out.

It seems like all your models are 32-bit bmps, while in DH other and default models are 24-bit bmps. If my memory is correct, DH only recognizes 24-bit bmps for these picture models, so try to change all of them to 24-bit bmps and see if it works.

Last edited:
If i put a minister 2 or 3 times into the files for Germany with different ideology will the game show me the one according to my countries ideology? For example if Germany wins the war someone like Helmut Schmidt could still become a politician but more conservative so he would be paternal autocrat and not social liberal or whatever.
Yes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello ! Do you know by any chance how can I make an event that trigger for my country to be only seen by my country (I'm trying to avoid event spam). That means if another country has an event firing, I don't want to see it but I still want it to fire for this country ^^

I add a new question, do you know exactly what this is about ? (it's in misc.txt)

Does this means I can't see friendly units and I need to detect them too ? Does third line means I have different spying success chance if I do a spy mission on a friend?

# Friendly army detection chance
40 #40
# Enemy army detection chance
80 #80
# Friendly intelligence chance
50 #50
# Enemy intelligence chance
50 #50

Hello ! Do you know by any chance how can I make an event that trigger for my country to be only seen by my country (I'm trying to avoid event spam). That means if another country has an event firing, I don't want to see it but I still want it to fire for this country ^^

Do you mean you dont want to see the event pop up window?

If yes, right click the window and choose that you aonly want to see them in the bottom message box.

Edit. Is it mentioned anywhere that the eventfiles cant be bigger than ca 470KB? My events did not work after a certain point and no error was mentioned in savedebug.

So i made a new eventfile, copied the "not working" events into it and now savedebug told me there is something wrong with my events. Fixed them and now everything works as planned.

Last edited:
Ah okay. If you do find it let me know. Thanks for your help!
Now what about the AI? The default AI is not good to put it kindly haha.
Basically I want to make a semi-agressive AI for my custom nation where it uses all available units on the front against an enemy.
Can anyone help me with this? The AI files are so confusing. And I'm still unsure how to add custom unit counters.

Hello is there a event command that can reduce max strenght of a single division?
no

But perhaps you can create a duplicate hidden division with reduced Max Strength in advance and at the right moment delete the old division and activate the new one with reduced Max Str, if you know both their ID.

• 1Like
Reactions:
no

But perhaps you can create a duplicate hidden division with reduced Max Strength in advance and at the right moment delete the old division and activate the new one with reduced Max Str, if you know both their ID.
I only need a command that will event spawn a strength reduced to 70% garrison in prague as germans named "Vládní Vojsko Regierungstruppen". CAn it be done?

I only need a command that will event spawn a strength reduced to 70% garrison in prague as germans named "Vládní Vojsko Regierungstruppen". CAn it be done?
Only if that division doesn't have a brigade. You can either give it a brigade or reduce its starting strenght.
From the documentation:
type = add_division which = [name] value = [div type] when = [model / -1] where = [brigade type / negative number] # Brigade model is always the latest. Division model is set to the latest available for the country if 'when' is a negative number. If a preceding add_corps command has been used, the division will go to that unit, otherwise to the force pool. If where is negative number, then a damaged unit will be created (where = -80 will create a division with STR = 20)
Obviously this division will immediately start to reinforce to 100% (if there's any IC dedicated to reinforcements).

• 1Like
Reactions: