• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we ever considered how barons create a native character for their spouse as a mean to bypass this restriction?

Admittedly, I'm not very knowlegdeable about interfaith relations, so thanks to everyone who offered some insight! Looks like about the only part I got right is the "unreformed pagans have no reservations about different faiths" idea. :)

So I guess there's two options for a more historically plausible mechanic:

A) A tiered system like the one I came up with, but basically flipped (i.e. the more established a religion is, the more reluctant it is to marry with other organized religions that are not likely to convert). The advantage of this is that it's easy to understand - the player can intuit where a certain religion falls on the scale. From a gameplay perspective though, it feels kinda weird that pullng off the feat of reforming a pagan religion is actually punished by cutting you off from marriage and alliance opportunities.

B) Completely independent rules for every religion. This is obviously the most accurate, but it's also quite complicated - until the player has learned the rules for every religion/gender combination, it's hard to understand what options are viable (and to predict what will be viable if he converts to a different faith). The rules themselves also need to be easy to sum up as a short bullet point in the religion's tooltip.

OTOH, you might occasionally get a situation where a pagan lord is willing to convert to get a Christian bride... think Vladimir of Kiev and Anna of Byzantium... in THAT case, no penalty but bonus piety! But hard to do.
A "Convert for Marriage" interaction would be too easy to circumvent or abuse in my opinion. If your land stays the same religion, you can just flip back immediately after the marriage with the decision on the Intrigue tab. On the other hand, if converting this way also converts your land, then it makes the court chaplain's job pretty much obsolete.

I didnt read the whole thread, but at a minimum, I'd like this hard restriction to be exported to defines so that we can choose our level of religious bigotry ourselves.

I didnt read the whole thread, but at a minimum, I'd like this hard restriction to be exported to defines so that we can choose our level of religious bigotry ourselves.

/thread

anyone know if this will be made to dlc/patch ? i will even pay for it.

A "Convert for Marriage" interaction would be too easy to circumvent or abuse in my opinion. If your land stays the same religion, you can just flip back immediately after the marriage with the decision on the Intrigue tab. On the other hand, if converting this way also converts your land, then it makes the court chaplain's job pretty much obsolete.

well, lets add that together with marriage all your direct vassals convert too (or rebel :) )n and land religion will stay same - this will nicely remove any posible abusing of this.

anyone know if this will be made to dlc/patch ? i will even pay for it.

There's no current official mentions of it, and the next major patch will be at the end of this year, sadly. It seems the focus is currently on EU4...

Just for the record, my Reformed Norse gets "Must not marry an infidel ----" (-4) with other Pagans (and with bribery I can get a Yes), but "Must not marry an infidel -----" (-5) with Christians and Muslims. Bribery doesn't appear to help with these.

So is it only full religion group difference that completely blocks marriage?

A better mechanic would be for the game to start with a base number for a prejudice penalty and then modify that number based on, oh yeah, the Religious Tolerance tech stat for the province where the decider (read: local liege that you're talking to) is located.

Meaning: If you want to find a spouse from someone backwards hamlet in the middle of nowhere with zero Religious Tolerance, then you'd be looking at the full -5 penalty. But if you go over to Constantinople or the like, someplace where they've got five or six bars of Religious Tolerance tech in the area, then that penalty would drop down to only -2 or so.

Some really good ideas crop up here in the thread.

I would like to mention again that i don't mind that much not being able to marrie out of the religion, but it would be nice. What ticks me off that i can't marry 2 of the same religion vassals/courtiers if they are not of my religion. This keeps coming up.
I play more role play and tend switch to christian if i get a holy war against me. And this ends you up with a lot of non christian vassals. Also like to go heretic sometimes. And the same problem.
This is so annoying. I can't give out new titles and get them a wife and after several years they don't get a wife and i inherit the title again. Well from a power gaming view this is great. But i can't see a reason why i can't allow my vassals to marry :mad:

From a gameplay perspective though, it feels kinda weird that pullng off the feat of reforming a pagan religion is actually punished by cutting you off from marriage and alliance opportunities.

Well, I would say that there is infinitely more benefit in reforming your religion, already. Greater difficulty in marrying other faiths would be balanced by the fact that your faith is now well-proliferated; there is plenty of people to marry. If you remain a single huge empire, there may be difficulty in gaining alliances, but that does serve rather as a effective and plausible anti-blobbing measure. It would be hell to see that Reformed Tengri Golden Horde be able to get alliances with the Kingdom of Napoli and the ERE, after all.

Well, I would say that there is infinitely more benefit in reforming your religion, already. Greater difficulty in marrying other faiths would be balanced by the fact that your faith is now well-proliferated; there is plenty of people to marry. If you remain a single huge empire, there may be difficulty in gaining alliances, but that does serve rather as a effective and plausible anti-blobbing measure. It would be hell to see that Reformed Tengri Golden Horde be able to get alliances with the Kingdom of Napoli and the ERE, after all.

Okay, that makes sense.

Some really good ideas crop up here in the thread.

I would like to mention again that i don't mind that much not being able to marrie out of the religion, but it would be nice. What ticks me off that i can't marry 2 of the same religion vassals/courtiers if they are not of my religion. This keeps coming up.
I play more role play and tend switch to christian if i get a holy war against me. And this ends you up with a lot of non christian vassals. Also like to go heretic sometimes. And the same problem.
This is so annoying. I can't give out new titles and get them a wife and after several years they don't get a wife and i inherit the title again. Well from a power gaming view this is great. But i can't see a reason why i can't allow my vassals to marry :mad:
if you wnt your vassal to marry, you cant marry him, just gice him woman from your court and he automaticaly mary her as he is your liege too :)

+1

OR allow us to invite infidels to court.
I had a grandiose plan to nurture a Roman Emperor with Sayyid trait. I needed to invite a person to court who already has this trait. Unfortunately, none of them wanted to do so because of -5 "False Religion"

+1

OR allow us to invite infidels to court.
I had a grandiose plan to nurture a Roman Emperor with Sayyid trait. I needed to invite a person to court who already has this trait. Unfortunately, none of them wanted to do so because of -5 "False Religion"
If you are lucky enough to capture a male child with the trait following a siege, you can educate him while he is in your prison, and convert him to your religion.

Now that EU IV's fairly massive (and impressive) 1.2 patch is coming out, I'm guessing that some resources might be allocated back to CK2. I'm still hoping this issue will be fixed in the next patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.