• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alvis14

Sergeant
37 Badges
Feb 17, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Hey all!

I have been wondering since quite a while now how melting pots work. (and tho, I am a quite early CKII player, something like June 2012)

I know there's the Norman culture for early start dates, even tho I have never seen it in game.
What are the other, how do they work exactly ?

And last question, how does the Norse culture split work? I can't recall seeing it more than once.

Thanks for the reply(ies)

Uh yeah that link will answer all of your questions.

Typically it's the Charlemagne starting cultures warping into the cultures we know today, and Norse->Norman->English.

Norse culture split happens automatically unless multiple kingdoms are united.

What's not really clear to me from the article is what causes melting pots to occur. How, for example, can I guarantee Dutch culture appears if I play as count or duke in the area?

They are all supposed to be inevitable. Visigothic is not supposed to survive the game, etc.
So yes you can guarantee a change into Dutch if you're there. But it should happen anyway(though the success of German or French rulers nearby may mean that only few Dutch provinces survive after converting.)
The only thing that player input is really necessary for is resisting the melting pots.

What's not really clear to me from the article is what causes melting pots to occur. How, for example, can I guarantee Dutch culture appears if I play as count or duke in the area?
To make Dutch culture appear, play in the duchies of Gelre, Holland, Flanders, and/or Brabant, and have Frankish, Saxon, or Frisian culture. It will eventually flip to Dutch. You can speed up the process once it starts by changing your own culture to Dutch once you can.

I will note that sometimes the flips get a bit strange. Recently, I had a game as a vassal of the William the Conqueror in England. I changed my culture to Norman to match my liege. Normally, Anglo-Saxon provinces held by a Norman ruler will flip to English. However, since I and my liege stayed Norman, we watched many of the provinces drift to Norman instead. Eventually, even the English provinces started turning Norman. Now England, Wales, Ireland, and the north of France are all Norman, and Norman culture is here to stay.

I am trying to get norman, and am currently the norse king of france, owning only paris. Paris just got randomly flipped to norse, does that ruin the event?

I am trying to get norman, and am currently the norse king of france, owning only paris. Paris just got randomly flipped to norse, does that ruin the event?
Yeah