• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You'd need to build transports, whilst at war, if you go after the Dutch now. The war with the UK is a useful distraction for you.

It scarce matters if Luxembourg DoWs you. Spain might, but you've forts and attrition. Russia may regard Siam as an ally against China. Any of those powers most likely has to get through the British fleet to attack you. The Dutch haven't enough out there to stop you. Taking Java would earn you overseas maintenance costs, but it looks as though the provinces are rich. I think you'll risk it.

Quick question -- anybody have any problems with v1.1 saves when using v1.2?

Should I switch, or just finish out the game in v1.1?

My gameplay is already up to 1892 anyway, so...

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Err... Okay, I guess I misread the thread, it doesn't look like it's actually out yet (just an Update from King). :D No matter -- v1.1 is doing fine.

Last edited:
Quick question -- anybody have any problems with v1.1 saves when using v1.2?

Should I switch, or just finish out the game in v1.1?

My gameplay is already up to 1892 anyway, so...

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Err... Okay, I guess I misread the thread, it doesn't look like it's actually out yet (just an Update from King). :D No matter -- v1.1 is doing fine.

I hate vanilla 1.1 - revolts all over the world and so on...

As others have pointed out, the crux is whether the Netherlands (and Allies) are involved in the French-British war. If they are, then perhaps you can sneak in and take Java. If they aren't, it sounds like a suicidal gambit to take on the Dutch at this stage.

So, what did it turn out to be (since you're up to 1892 in your game, clearly this has been played out already)? :)

I'd say go after Johore unless the Dutch allies are in the french-british war.

I've enjoyed your portugal AAR and this one.

Siam is hard :mad:. I've got a Siam game going, can't peek my head north of the starting borders or China kills me and sometime UK just decideds to beat on me for Siamese singapore (I tend to restart after those). but finally Westernised in 1866, though I ended up delaying westernisation until I took Thagn Hoa (thank to you for pointing out that it's very rich and populated).

If the Dutch are at war against a superior naval power, then they would be screened from getting any troops to you. Even if they're not, any Dutch war with Belgium that I have seen will keep their hands full. Belgium>Netherlands one-on-one.

OTOH, the AI seems to be completely immune to "give me what I took in the first two months" style peace offers. It will stay at war, even being beaten, until it has a good period of time to recover and rebound. This doesn't seem to be dependent on the odds of rebounding, mind you. It seems to be hardwired to prevent the player from grabbing a state in the first months and then making a peace deal before he gets clobbered. I've had warscores as US v Mexico which were far higher than the potential peace dea which the AI would not take. It was early, but their army was scattered, divided, and leaderless. The war could only go downhill, but early going means no giving up territory.

Any war with the Dutch, built on the idea that they're busy, depends on them staying at war a good six months. Tough to count on. I'd hold off as losing costs you more than you'd gain.

Sure Rensslaer, I'll be happy to point out when you get sloppy and ignore other strategies -if I can spot them. I can do this because it hapens to me, I have chosen the best possible strategy and know exactly what I am doing. Then I take my eyes off what's happening and I'm either losing money hand over fist or an army is in serious danger of being wiped out. Or you forget about attrition at sea and lose an entire fleet. It's all very irritating.

Now, you've inspired someone else to go out and get V2 and start a game as Tibet - I figured as I didn't know what I was doing, I'd choose a country that didn't - Tibet. As usual I ws fairly sloppy- didn't catch a fall to 70 pounds in my treasury and panicked -taxes to 80% and tariffs to 40%. Hecxk it costs 1255 gold to build a unit of regulars. Second mistake to DoW Nepal istead of the panjab, but I figured my 9000 couldn't take out their 15,000 and overrun the country: we're not the Taliban, you see. The war didn't go as expected. I got no CB on Burma for dishonouring. Nepal did not oblige and annex Sikkim. So I got two provinces for 20 infamy and tea. Of course your strategy guides don't tell you how you can get CBs.Even when I had everyone's needs met, I still saw on the province info artisans demoting into farmers and I shudder to think what's going to happen with 88% of their needs not being met. It's a laugh a minute.
:D Glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes mistakes! It's hard to always be "on the ball" -- and real national leaders know this too, or else there would never be such passionate opinions on leadership, and such interesting political campaigns! Excellent to hear you've gotten V2! POP Management can be a bear. Difficult to keep on top of the wave and not get sucked under.

nice progression :)

funny to see how grain is a nice production to have , opposed to EU3 where it is pretty worthless :D
Indeed, about the grain! Welcome, Sprites!

There's a book hanging around in the library at a university near where I live that's one of those 'countries of the world' or whatever with discussion of their governments and economies and all that. Published at the end of 1989 or beginning of '90 and is delightful.
Somewhere around here I have a very similar book, but this one was written in 1937! It described the various political movements in Europe and around the world, and is fascinating reading. I haven't seen it in a few months -- keep looking for it, because I need to refer to it from time to time.

I was just lucky, I guess as China was busy with Russia and their allies so I declared war on them for Yunnan, sending in all my armies. Then UK and Portugal declared on them again. Russia managed to cut China down as a war goal. Once my truce with China is over, I went in again for Guangxi. China as of now is half taken by the rebels, I guess it is the boxers' rebellion.
Nice to see such a behemoth humbled! :)

You're welcome and yes it may well be familiar, Josephus Daniels was US Secretary of the Navy during WWI, his second in charge being one Franklin Roosevelt and he was later Ambassador to Mexico. Hats off to you for mentioning it:D
That's right -- I almost said "cabinet officer" of some sort. I guess I must know the name because of some recent history reading on WW I, or perhaps because of the Belknap class cruiser named after him.

Now, THIS is where the update was posted, and I asked the question to my readers about whether they thought I would go after the Netherlands, or do something else. Naturally, I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll allow my next update to provide my answer to the question....

You can be reckless militarily and diplomatically, but I think you chose peace, or perhaps war with Johore, because you aren't completely mad.
lol Indeed, I can be reckless. But not needlessly so... Just wait till we get to a particular war down the road -- you'll LOVE my recklessness, and the consequences I pay! :) Welcome, Germanpeon! Glad to have you along for the ride on another AAR!

Can you avoid the Dutch navy and army?
I say finish all possible neighbours first, Burma-Dai Nam.
Wait until the Dutch are entangled in some other conflict.
Good questions... Can I avoid their navy? Probably not. Can I avoid their army? Definitely not... Waiting until they're busy is always a good idea.

Perhaps yes? When France DOW'd the UK, did the Netherlands heed the call to war?
Actually, I'm not certain. I'll have to work on the next update to know, but I'll try to make note of that.

Hopefully not. Your navy is hardly up the job against the Netherlands and your wargoals are across the sea after all. That is if the Ai is actually not very dull (no idea, lacking the game).

But maybe more importantly than the feasibility of the war alone it might involve the Russians, which can in due time be of some help against China should the worst come. Even if not for them you would be angering a bunch of European powers and you never now who might become an ally to whom in the future. If Spain gets mad at you and for some reason becomes very friendly with the UK things have the potential to go downhill very quickly. Makes sense role-playing wise I guess since a successful war of an uncivilized nation against fellow Christians would hardly spark much sympathy in Europe at the time, not even among the Belgians.

I dont understand the comment about the Philippines though. It was my understanding that infamy is linked to the amount of wargoals so you can hardly be plotting to attain Java and the Philippines now, can you?
You're right about all of this! The comment about the Philippines was that it's another potential target. No, I'd need to be careful about adding them as a wargoal because of the Infamy cost.

Those allies are fairly off-putting. I would guess no war against the Dutch unless you found it obvious that the allies couldn't get at you easily, or if they are distracted by that war with the UK.
To be honest, I don't think those allies pose much of a "military threat" to me -- the problem comes in who becomes war leader (the strongest of those who go to war -- probably Russia) and whether I can do anything to convince them to give me what I want (which could be quite involved!).

If I were you, I wouldn't dare go for the Dutch just now. They do seem to have lots of powerful friends. Also, the East Indies is a big place, and occupying provinces takes a lot of time (relatively) - just enough for them to haul some stacks o' Doom and eat you raw. Also, the provinces themselves may not count for much warscore. IIRC, uncivilised nations can get annexed in one gulp, so if they chose to add an "establish protectorate" you can make this a very short AAR. :)

Then again, a veteran player like you probably has some tricks up his sleeve, so I can't say a war is out of the question. :D
:rofl: "haul some stacks o' Doom and eat you raw". :) You're right about the daunting task, but I do have some tricks up my sleeve.... It's a hard decision. Definitely something I want to do when the time is right. But when is that?? Welcome, Morsky!

Coming out of the wood works to say I've really enjoyed this AAR and its helped me get a better grasp of the game. Thanks!

I wasn't going to say anything but I saw Rens is a fellow Colorado resident so I just had to say hello. Nice weather today :)
Yaay! Another Coloradan! Yes, weather is good -- today too. That's a good thing, since my car has no air-conditioning. You should see my other AAR -- Fire Warms -- I tell my readers about different Denver things, like the Brown Palace and the Daniel & Fisher Tower (our Victorian-era skyscraper). Welcome, Trucido!

I'd say attack the netherlands only if you want to die. If any of those powers land a decent sized army on your shores I dont know how you could live. It would also take like 5 years before the netherlands would even cede any provinces to you.
lol We'll have to see about this. Welcome, RabidVeggie!

I'm with Serek000 on this one. I'd say a France-England war has drawn in just about everyone on this list including the Netherlands and you're in a position to pick off their Indonesian possessions.

They were at war with the UK on page one of this AAR, so I'm guessing they're on the French side and no match for the British navy. You on the other hand can just sail over and take what you want.
I like the way you think -- aggressive! :)

I just checked my Dutch game where I conquered Johore, and Java should be a much juicier target; Batavia alone sold over 300£ worth in coffee, whereas Johore's richest province mined 27£ of precious minerals. (these figures are from 1843).

The Dutch presence there is pretty poor, at the start of the game anyway (save for a decent navy, but it looks like you've got a better one already).

Does it get harder to earn warscore when you're against an entire alliance? I haven't been able to find out yet.
Welcome, Zwebbie! You're entirely right -- Java is a very juicy target, IF I can take it... I have to expect that the war would be a long one, and that they would have time to send forces from the mainland. I may even have to expect that, even if they DID join the war against the UK, they might finish it and still come after me later. Yes -- warscore becomes harder to earn if you're up against a large enemy, or many of them, or especially many large enemies! :rolleyes: And losses on your side count for more, because you're small.

Surely you'll wait at least until you've civilised before you take on the big boys? :eek:
Oh, but it would be FUN to mess with the big boys while still an Unciv! :D

You'd need to build transports, whilst at war, if you go after the Dutch now. The war with the UK is a useful distraction for you.

It scarce matters if Luxembourg DoWs you. Spain might, but you've forts and attrition. Russia may regard Siam as an ally against China. Any of those powers most likely has to get through the British fleet to attack you. The Dutch haven't enough out there to stop you. Taking Java would earn you overseas maintenance costs, but it looks as though the provinces are rich. I think you'll risk it.
You're right about the Royal Navy -- they could certainly get in the way of my enemies, whether the UK joined my war or not.

I hate vanilla 1.1 - revolts all over the world and so on...
For some reason, I haven't been hit by revolts very often. I do see revolts all over the rest of the world, but it's hard for me to really judge the v1.1 revolts since I haven't played them yet.

As others have pointed out, the crux is whether the Netherlands (and Allies) are involved in the French-British war. If they are, then perhaps you can sneak in and take Java. If they aren't, it sounds like a suicidal gambit to take on the Dutch at this stage.

So, what did it turn out to be (since you're up to 1892 in your game, clearly this has been played out already)? :)
Suicidal?! Oh come on, where's your faith? :)

I'd say go after Johore unless the Dutch allies are in the french-british war.

I've enjoyed your portugal AAR and this one.

Siam is hard :mad:. I've got a Siam game going, can't peek my head north of the starting borders or China kills me and sometime UK just decideds to beat on me for Siamese singapore (I tend to restart after those). but finally Westernised in 1866, though I ended up delaying westernisation until I took Thagn Hoa (thank to you for pointing out that it's very rich and populated).
Thanks, Vaderi! Welcome! Yes, Siam can be hard. :D It's a difficult country to play, at least if you mean to be aggressive. It's easier if you are content to remain a regional strongman with little territorial thirst. Johore is a possibility. We'll see. :)

If the Dutch are at war against a superior naval power, then they would be screened from getting any troops to you. Even if they're not, any Dutch war with Belgium that I have seen will keep their hands full. Belgium>Netherlands one-on-one.

OTOH, the AI seems to be completely immune to "give me what I took in the first two months" style peace offers. It will stay at war, even being beaten, until it has a good period of time to recover and rebound. This doesn't seem to be dependent on the odds of rebounding, mind you. It seems to be hardwired to prevent the player from grabbing a state in the first months and then making a peace deal before he gets clobbered. I've had warscores as US v Mexico which were far higher than the potential peace dea which the AI would not take. It was early, but their army was scattered, divided, and leaderless. The war could only go downhill, but early going means no giving up territory.

Any war with the Dutch, built on the idea that they're busy, depends on them staying at war a good six months. Tough to count on. I'd hold off as losing costs you more than you'd gain.
You're right about the six months or so. I can't count on another war to keep them busy forever. I can't say I disagree with the AI thinking on wars -- I'm like that too. I'll dig my teeth in and hold what I can until I get the strength to push the enemy out.

Thanks to everybody, for your readership and your comments! I really appreciate it!

I will try to get an update done today or tomorrow. We'll have to see.

Rensslaer

Finally caught up again.

Good to see Siam is still going strong!!! Building a navy and everything.. I'm so proud right now. Words can't describe it!!

Rensslaer being reckless will be interesting. Of course, what Rensslaer considers reckless may be different to what everyone else does. Attacking Dai Nam when allied to China with its, say, 400 brigades might be reckless to Rensslaer and suicidal to the rest of us. Attacking the Dutch and up to five allies is a mere walk in the park, by comparison.

Okay... Well, the question I posed to you was whether or not I would go to war with the Netherlands, for their East Indian colonies, which I greatly covet.

The answer, as many of you guessed, is -- I'm not ready yet! :D The timing is good, on one level -- you can see below how they're at war (not with UK, but with Belgium -- a smaller war). But they're winning that war -- who knows how long it might last, or not. I obviously can't stand with them militarily, especially considering you must assume they're ahead of me in military technology (land and naval, presumably). If not them, then surely some of their allies are -- Russia, Portugal, Spain... Which of these would be my executioner?

Relations.jpg

I decided not to find out. ;)

The Burmese, for some reason (maybe my growing strength? Or a need for a check against UK?), are befriending me. Better an ally than an enemy, they seem to be saying.

But, desire for expansion aside, I also have pressing internal matters to resolve. My Militancy has been rising steadily since I took that step of aiming toward Westernization, opening my doors to European contacts and influences. It adds an automatic +10% Militancy gain to every POP. It's stressful, dealing with these Europeans! ;)

Militancy.jpg

Part of the problem, of course, is the POPs getting their needs -- not everybody is, and those who are aren't getting the really satisfying stuff.

Sorry the Budget (1857) is so small -- picture editing problem. Tariffs are zero, spending is down, taxes are down. It's time to be conservative with our budget for a while, and let our POPs rest.

Budget1857.jpg

By 1857 I've achieved the fourth of five Technologies which are required for becoming Westernized. The cement factory is useless -- I can't build anything until I Westernize. But the Tax Efficiency helps.

Banks.jpg

So the next Tech in line is Publishing Industry... But you know what? I'm not going to research it. Not yet. Why? Because look at the other requirements -- Prestige 40 I can do relatively soon, given a good war. Military Score 50 I can't -- not right away. Need to work at that, and partly this requires researching MORE Techs, in different fields, and strengthening my economy.

So my next Tech to Research is Military Staff System. It's a first-level Tech -- easy to Research in a short amount of time -- and it improves my Organization by +5 (an IMPORTANT result!). More key to my strategy is the Cavalry that it allows me to recruit. If I'm going to raise dozens more armies, I want at least some of them to be Cavalry, not all Infantry. Infantry is boring... Well, not just that, but I need combined arms and different capabilities to round out my military forces. This Tech will improve our army in more ways than one.

Organization.jpg

And there I go rabble-rousing again! I need the Research bonuses from this Event -- Western Education -- and I MOST CERTAINLY do NOT want to undo the good result I got from Western Influences, even if it is causing much unrest and consternation among my Population. I must accept the Western Education.

Western.jpg

The Consciousness increase doesn't hurt either, so long as I don't mean to anger my POPs so that they mobilize. So.... How do I work on not angering my POPs? :)

Liberals.jpg

There are/were other options, of course, but I chose to make one of my changes the admission of a Liberal Party into government for the first time. I didn't have to do this, but since my most Militant POPs are Liberals (Farmers, mostly), this gives me a switch against their not liking the government party (i.e. the Conservatives I had in power). I'm hoping this would help enough....

It didn't.

As time went on, my Poor POPs (especially) -- i.e. the Farmers again, who comprise 75% of my Population -- are still not getting their Needs met, and they're not happy about it, no matter WHO is in the Prime Minister's throne (in the Siamese absolute monarchy, this was usually a Prince and close brother to the king).

Budget1858.jpg

The Liberals limit me to a maximum of 50% Tax on any class, but I want my taxes lower than that anyway. They also limit me to about 50% Military Spending, and although I DO need to increase the strength of my Military, I have plenty of room to do that with existing Soldier populations. Not a problem.

As time went on, and as we measured the results of our Reform and Tax Reduction, I discovered it was still not enough. The new government helped with my most Militant POPs, though not with all of my POPs -- no matter, it's the Militant ones I'm concerned about. I lowered Poor Taxes to 35%... And then later to 25%, 20% and even as low as 15%, but they still were having trouble meeting their Needs. Argh.

Militancy1858.jpg

All right, well, I was forced to undertake the action I really didn't want to -- I enacted a Landed Vote reform. This disappeared my Militancy problem instantly.

One might wonder why I didn't do something else, like free the Slaves... The main reason (and I may have mentioned this already) is that my Farmers were the most pro-slavery POPs, and so I didn't figure it would help so much.

Reform.jpg

Now, this doesn't mean Farmers are voting -- they don't actually own the land, they just work it. But they have some reason to be happy that their owner/Aristocrats can vote. This will also help the Capitalists once we Westernize.

My Reform causes me to become a Prussian Constitutionalist government. Interesting -- and well enough! You'll notice my Military Score is rising slowly.

Prussian.jpg

Now... Where to go from here. Now that my Militancy problem is solved, it's time for me to at least look around for something new to do.

As others have suggested, I'm eyeing Johore as an easy possibility for expansion. In the Diplo messages I've not shown, I've allied with Atjeh, and Atjeh has broken their alliance with Johore. It's free to take when I'm ready....

Planning.jpg

The only question is when I should be ready.

Siam not ready. Shucks. You're more likely to be ready than Johore. This is a conquest, right?

I was looking forward to seeing shiploads of westerners descend on one your fortified provinces. And suffering lots of attrition, unless they're engineers, of course, in which case they'll take the fort rather quickly and in will pour army after army. It's less likey they'd have enough troops, now, but when you do decide you're ready the Dutch will have them.

Still, I prefer the gradual approach, too. It's not like you're on a tight schedule to conquer the world.

Johore awaits.

By 1857 I've achieved the fourth of five Technologies which are required for becoming Westernized. The cement factory is useless -- I can't build anything until I Westernize. But the Tax Efficiency helps.

AFAIK it does not really help. It just increases the effective tax which you could do just as well as increasing nominal taxes (given they are lower than their policy-caused upper bound). Since you do the contrary there is really no point in this.

Okay... Well, the question I posed to you was whether or not I would go to war with the Netherlands, for their East Indian colonies, which I greatly covet.

The answer, as many of you guessed, is -- I'm not ready yet! :D

Well Britain staying out of the war puts the Netherlands well beyond your current reach. I'd have done the same, but then I'm always far too conservative when it comes to starting wars.

Rensslaer said:
My Reform causes me to become a Prussian Constitutionalist government. Interesting -- and well enough! You'll notice my Military Score is rising slowly.

Siam, the Prussia of Asia!

"haul some stacks o' Doom and eat you raw". You're right about the daunting task, but I do have some tricks up my sleeve.... It's a hard decision. Definitely something I want to do when the time is right. But when is that?? Welcome, Morsky!

Welcome?

<-- Mr. Memorable :D

I kid, of course. There's so many people following this (and rightly so!) that it must be exceedingly difficult to keep track of who's new. :) Anyways, nice update. Moving slowly but surely towards civilized status. I think you've got enough to take Johore - especially once you get Military Staff. Ze Generalstab of ze Ziameze Reich vill TRIUMPH! :D

Looking good. I am, to be honest, a bit surprised that you are already this far along with becoming Westernized, but then again, you've been playing pretty aggressively and have clearly made it a part of your longterm planning. Anyway, now that the restless masses have been temporarily appeased, let's have another foreign adventure! :)

Finally caught up again.

Good to see Siam is still going strong!!! Building a navy and everything.. I'm so proud right now. Words can't describe it!!
:D Glad you're pleased! So am I!

Faith? Since 'sceptical' is such an ugly word, let's just say I'm 'agnostic' as to the feasibility of a successful war with the Dutch right now. ;)
lol Well, you have a convert in me. :D

Rensslaer being reckless will be interesting. Of course, what Rensslaer considers reckless may be different to what everyone else does. Attacking Dai Nam when allied to China with its, say, 400 brigades might be reckless to Rensslaer and suicidal to the rest of us. Attacking the Dutch and up to five allies is a mere walk in the park, by comparison.
I have a finely honed skill at getting out of stupid scrapes! :D

Siam not ready. Shucks. You're more likely to be ready than Johore. This is a conquest, right?

I was looking forward to seeing shiploads of westerners descend on one your fortified provinces. And suffering lots of attrition, unless they're engineers, of course, in which case they'll take the fort rather quickly and in will pour army after army. It's less likey they'd have enough troops, now, but when you do decide you're ready the Dutch will have them.

Still, I prefer the gradual approach, too. It's not like you're on a tight schedule to conquer the world.

Johore awaits.
Well... I'm on a sort of schedule to make my mark on the world. I don't know yet exactly what I want before 1936, but I have some ideas, and I'm not there yet. Yeah, I'm sure a full investment of Siam at the hands of torch-wielding foreigners would have been fun to watch, but I'm not going to willingly stick my head into that beehive. :) It may come to me, nonetheless!

AFAIK it does not really help. It just increases the effective tax which you could do just as well as increasing nominal taxes (given they are lower than their policy-caused upper bound). Since you do the contrary there is really no point in this.
Umm.... I haven't fully thought my way through that yet, but you're probably right! :D In V1 there were some settings (like Militancy) that were rigged to the percentage of tax. To my knowledge, that is no longer the trigger, though there may be some events that are triggered in that manner. If so, then this would be helpful anyway, because it allows higher income for a chosen tax level. But without such triggers, there's probably not a whole lot of difference.

Well Britain staying out of the war puts the Netherlands well beyond your current reach. I'd have done the same, but then I'm always far too conservative when it comes to starting wars.

Siam, the Prussia of Asia!
I'll foreshadow a little, and tell you that the Netherlands turns into a long-running saga of frustration. A little like hoping Mulder and Scully will kiss, or that Scully would actually SEE a UFO (we've been re-watching the X-Files lately -- my third time through, or so, and my wife's/son's first), and seeing her look away at the last moment. :)

Welcome?

<-- Mr. Memorable :D

I kid, of course. There's so many people following this (and rightly so!) that it must be exceedingly difficult to keep track of who's new. :) Anyways, nice update. Moving slowly but surely towards civilized status. I think you've got enough to take Johore - especially once you get Military Staff. Ze Generalstab of ze Ziameze Reich vill TRIUMPH! :D
:D I apologize, Morsky! I often check just to make sure, but didn't this time. You should see my really huge AARs, though -- the ones with hundreds of pages and dozens of multiple posters, etc. Keeping track of comments on those requires bookkeeping. Should be showing you my next action in the next few hours or so, I think.

I see this woman teacher of English has had some effect on Siamese policy regarding democratic institutions.
In Anna whatsername's actual account, she does have quite a bit to say about the nature of the Siamese government. And she didn't seem to be afraid to tell the king her thoughts, either!

Looking good. I am, to be honest, a bit surprised that you are already this far along with becoming Westernized, but then again, you've been playing pretty aggressively and have clearly made it a part of your longterm planning. Anyway, now that the restless masses have been temporarily appeased, let's have another foreign adventure! :)
Well, I have made Westernization a primary, urgent goal, mainly because I fear for the future of Siam if I don't attain some regional status soon. Too many Europeans lurking about, plus the Chinese, etc. Even the USA is taking a strong interest in Asia, as you may see in the next update or so.

Use the tariffs!
Tax them dry!
I'll be honest... I've seen other players crank up the Tariffs to extraordinarily high levels, and seem to succeed... I cannot understand how they do it. Tariffs crash my economy anytime they reach a sustained level of any elevation. I can understand, in principle, but those same principles also should predict devastation for such an economy (if industrialized) because your gains end up being channeled back into some form of subsidy to keep the factories running...

a very informative and enjoyable read, as I know close to nothing about V2, I am in no position to give you advice; but frankly it seems Jahore is ready for the dow; what stops you? Infamy?
Thanks! Welcome, Gabor! No, I'm just wanting to "set some things straight" or perhaps "clear the decks" before I go into action. I could do it right now, but yes Infamy is a consideration (not because Johore would put me past my Infamy limit, but because Infamy would limit my NEXT action, therefore I'm in no super hurry to attack Johore), but also just general housekeeping stuff.

Okay... I edited screenshots last night, so I just need to add text for the next update. I MAY be able to do that on my lunchhour, but I'm not sure. Probably sometime this evening instead.

Thanks again for reading and commenting! Any new readers?

Rensslaer