• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My sincere apologies about how dead this area has been. A review is long overdue... and I might be able to get back to my old schedule. We'll see.

This AAR is a narrative with a fascinating premise. It is centered on the Medicis, which I appreciate as both a fan of Renaissance Italy and of the Medicis in particular (I have fond memories of watching Medici: Masters of Florence a few years back). Furthermore, it has supernatural elements, which is also something that appeals to me. The Medicis themselves are the supernatural beings and are telling their history to an observer.

The characters are fascinating here. The viewpoint character apparently has a background in history, specifically Florentine history. They also have logical reactions to... certain events. The real interesting characters are the Medicis themselves, though - especially Lorenzo the Magnificent. He tells the true story of the rise of the Medici empire (the Florentine-Egyptians), although he is also immortal and doesn't seem to love that situation. Of course, part of that seems to be the fate of the other Medicis, which is yet to be revealed...

The gameplay itself is mainly reflected in between the lines. The mention of the Florentine-Egyptians is the most obvious one, although the full story behind that is not yet completed. Beyond that, Lorenzo's story includes necessary background on the world, which helps establish the alternate history elements. I suspect that such things will also become relevant to the wider story later, though the titular (unnatural) machinations have not yet had an effect on the world beyond the catacombs. I look forward to seeing how they do.

In short, despite the second person perspective (which admittedly might annoy some people), this AAR is a good narrative. It is still in its beginning stages, so many mysteries remain. I do like theorizing about what's happening... Regardless, the AAR is one that has magic and Medicis - what's not to like? Heck, it even has conspiracies, although no one in Florence has uncovered them yet. I can highly recommend it.
Thank you for the review!

• 3Like
Reactions:
I concur - Machinations of the Medici is very well done, with cliffhangers at every turn. We get a view of something intriguing and have to wonder what it might mean for a week

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
Lost Seasons of the Danes by Chac1
It's been a while, but there are many reviews to come.

This AAR is a narrative CK2 tale. It is centered on the Vikings in 769 and involves a decent amount of intrigue. I enjoy this because I like intrigue. It also includes a bit of Norse culture (notably the blot), which was a nice touch. In addition, it was the origin of the AARland meme "Half-brother. He's my half-brother", which is honestly great. It also incorporates artwork and has a soundtrack, which I appreciate.

The narrative itself is excellent, although the Blot appendix (which starts here) is personally my favorite part so far. That features spies, Þorolfr acting as his usual drunk self, and a riveting intersection of plots. Other highlights of the AAR include Magni and King Þorolfr's relationship and antagonism, which is very well-done (and occasionally hilarious), Kraka's plots (which hit a lot harder after Chapter XII), and Astrid the Lawspeaker (and how her relationship with King Hroeker, King Þorolfr's predecessor, affected the realm). The characters are very memorable, and the intrigue encourages a readAAR to continue following.

The gameplay isn't ridiculously obvious, although it is present. Denmark does form and expand a decent amount over the course of the narrative. Denmark is a very large kingdom by the end of Hroeker's reign, and Þorolfr did expand the realm a bit (and seems to be intent on continuing that expansion). This AAR probably isn't a great AAR to read if you want a guide to playing CK2, though.

I would definitely recommend this AAR. The characters are very lifelike, their relationships are great, and the intrigue is fascinating. The multimedia nature is also a nice touch. In addition, there are occasional cameos by historical and legendary characters, which I appreciate as a fan of history and legends. There are also two "Suspect Boards" that help a readAAR understand what's going on during the investigation of a particular event, which was a nice touch (even if the actual guilty party remains unclear - not every question in history has a clearcut answer, so I was fine with that).

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This had a long and unplanned hiatus, but we're back now! Expect reviews every Monday.

Thank you for the review!

No problem!

I concur - Machinations of the Medici is very well done, with cliffhangers at every turn. We get a view of something intriguing and have to wonder what it might mean for a week

Rensslaer

That was part of what made it so compelling.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A worthy inductee! Well done @Chac1 !

Reactions:
Well, the AAR does now have a brother - er, half-brother - The Lost Saga :D

• 1Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@HistoryDude I agree - great to see these back!

And this is a great choice to honor. I'm following along slowly (catching up), but I also find it an interesting AAR. Great work @Chac1 !

Rensslaer

• 1Love
Reactions:
A very good and interesting AAR. I've been enjoying reading it! Great job on your hard work @Chac1!

• 1Love
Reactions:
Excellent choice for a review, @HistoryDude. Having finally caught up last night, I have to agree with how good @Chac1's AAR is.

What with the Inkwell updated, the bAAR seeing activity along with the SolAARium, it's great to see your Review Corner showing life again, too.

Now we just need some participation from the AARlander population to keep these initiatives going.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Excellent choice for a review, @HistoryDude. Having finally caught up last night, I have to agree with how good @Chac1's AAR is.

What with the Inkwell updated, the bAAR seeing activity along with the SolAARium, it's great to see your Review Corner showing life again, too.

Now we just need some participation from the AARlander population to keep these initiatives going.
I tired the bAAR back in...mid 00s? o_O Then it died and I never came back for some reason... my Inkwell probably will reach a character limit soon. :D The SolAARium I am not ever sure what is for, should probably check that out.

And soon people, soon it's time for the Q1 2024 ACAs! :D

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, this is an unexpected surprise! It appears I am having quite the week here. I very much appreciate @HistoryDude and the community for honoring the work.

I would definitely recommend this AAR.
Thanks so much @HistoryDude for the review and the recommendation. Much appreciated. Thanks for all your support when I came into the Forum last May. Would not have kept going if not for your support and the comments from others too, especially @Midnite Duke & @Bullfilter .
That features spies, Þorolfr acting as his usual drunk self, and a riveting intersection of plots.
When I was playing the blót so many events were firing off at once that I wanted to replicate that feeling. This was the writing challenge. Also, unlike the other chapters, many of the characters are all in one spot and the timeline covers nine days instead of a longer period between chapters. Now, that the blót is over it will be time for new adventures. So the pace is going to slow. Some folks may not like that. We will see.
This AAR probably isn't a great AAR to read if you want a guide to playing CK2, though.
Totally agree. If I had kept going with how the AAR started, that might have been possible, but most of the game play is, as you say, buried underneath many layers.

What is a bit more obvious is that this is an unintentional lesson in learning how to write an AAR. Compare the first few chapters to what is there after Chapter IV or so. The visual and narrative style really evolve in those early chapters. Also, somewhere during the early blót I stopped abridging so much of the original material. What readers who comment have said is they like the details, so keeping more of those lately.
In addition, it was the origin of the AARland meme "Half-brother. He's my half-brother", which is honestly great.
this is not your AAR, it is your step-AAR.
Well, the AAR does now have a brother - er, half-brother - The Lost Saga :D
I have nothing to add here, but I know someone who does....

King-Half-Brother.png
This AAR is a narrative CK3 tale.
A small point, and you did get this right later: this is a CK2 AAR.
A worthy inductee! Well done @Chac1 !
Good to see these back! A worthy AAR and well written review.
Congratulations, @Chac1!
I agree - great to see these back!

And this is a great choice to honor. I'm following along slowly (catching up), but I also find it an interesting AAR. Great work @Chac1 !

Rensslaer
Yes, like others, I have missed the reviews. What a surprise to have mine featured in your big return. Thank you again, @HistoryDude .
And thanks to @Nikolai , @Superstorm , @The Kingmaker , and @Rensslaer for your support. Much appreciated.
A very good and interesting AAR. I've been enjoying reading it! Great job on your hard work @Chac1!
Thank you @jak7139 . Thank you for your support too. As @Rensslaer points out (below) Machinations of the Medici, which was featured earlier by @HistoryDude is excellent and builds to a great conclusion. Truly a wonderful AAR.

Rensslaer

I tired the bAAR back in...mid 00s? o_O Then it died and I never came back for some reason... my Inkwell probably will reach a character limit soon. :D The SolAARium I am not ever sure what is for, should probably check that out.

And soon people, soon it's time for the Q1 2024 ACAs! :D
Interesting, now that spring is here in the northern part of the world (fall for @Bullfilter and a few others) it seems AARland is more active than ever. Some folks have devoted a lot of time to reviving some of the features like the Inkwell, the bAAR and the SolAARium and that is much appreciated. Some of the folks who did that work are right here in this thread. (And if you don't know, you should go to those spots to find out.)

Are you dropping hints, LD about reviving the AARlander? @HistoryDude might have an interest in that (depending upon his time) as he has stated in the past. I'd be up for writing an article here and there. No heavy lifting though.

As for the ACAs, seems we had a great turnout for these awards that @Nikolai runs in Q4 (record voting numbers?). I've already given a preview of some of the AARs I support over here.

Thanks again for the review and this great show of support.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:

<shaking head, sadly> Nikolai... Nikolai... Nikolai... </shaking head, sadly> You've been a member since 2001 and you NEVER EVER ventured into the SolAARium? Never tasted the absolute goodness that resides in there? It's a great resource for those wishing to hone their writing skills or discuss ideas about AARs or, well, there's a ton of information in there. Trust me. And it's indexed, too.

Serious question. Is it because the SolAARium is a stickied thread? I know people have an ingrained fear of anything stickied. That's been a thing since I joined. Or was it something you just never noticed due to its positioning on the General Discussion page?

Interesting, now that spring is here in the northern part of the world (fall for @Bullfilter and a few others) it seems AARland is more active than ever. Some folks have devoted a lot of time to reviving some of the features like the Inkwell, the bAAR and the SolAARium and that is much appreciated. Some of the folks who did that work are right here in this thread. (And if you don't know, you should go to those spots to find out.)

Are you dropping hints, LD about reviving the AARlander? @HistoryDude might have an interest in that (depending upon his time) as he has stated in the past. I'd be up for writing an article here and there. No heavy lifting though.

Heavens no, @Chac1 :). I was simply referring to the AARland population. The various publications, and there were several: The AARlander, The AARland Gazette, The AARland Advocate and an overall collection called The AARlander AARchives, were run by other members. I wouldn't have the time to organize this. Contribute, maybe, but that's about it. Not that resurrecting it wouldn't be a bad idea...

Apologies for the quick hijack, @HistoryDude. I'm just curious about the SolAARium question, then I'll get out of your hair so we can return to our regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
<shaking head, sadly> Nikolai... Nikolai... Nikolai... </shaking head, sadly> You've been a member since 2001 and you NEVER EVER ventured into the SolAARium? Never tasted the absolute goodness that resides in there? It's a great resource for those wishing to hone their writing skills or discuss ideas about AARs or, well, there's a ton of information in there. Trust me. And it's indexed, too.

Serious question. Is it because the SolAARium is a stickied thread? I know people have an ingrained fear of anything stickied. That's been a thing since I joined. Or was it something you just never noticed due to its positioning on the General Discussion page?

Heavens no, @Chac1 :). I was simply referring to the AARland population. The various publications, and there were several: The AARlander, The AARland Gazette, The AARland Advocate and an overall collection called The AARlander AARchives, were run by other members. I wouldn't have the time to organize this. Contribute, maybe, but that's about it. Not that resurrecting it wouldn't be a bad idea...

Apologies for the quick hijack, @HistoryDude. I'm just curious about the SolAARium question, then I'll get out of your hair and can return to our regularly scheduled program.
Sorry that I misread your reference, LD. But I'm sure everyone will allow this little Public Service Announcement (PSA) to point to the variety of resources for those who populate AARland. Good links to follow there.

• 2Like
Reactions:

I know. I know. I've seen it, it is possible I have opened the thread at some point. But I never engaged. :( TBH, other than once in a blue moon the general discussion forum seldom have seen my presence pver the years. First with my ACA threads have I had any real reason not to just subscribe to the awards threads and use the my threads feature...

Reactions:
I know. I know. I've seen it, it is possible I have opened the thread at some point. But I never engaged. :( TBH, other than once in a blue moon the general discussion forum seldom have seen my presence pver the years. First with my ACA threads have I had any real reason not to just subscribe to the awards threads and use the my threads feature...

Yeah. Common problem since the early days. Someone finds the particular game forum they want, bookmark it, and then seldom, if ever, leave it to visit the General Discussion area. Not sure of a solution. Thanks for your answer @Nikolai.

Reactions:
Yeah. Common problem since the early days. Someone finds the particular game forum they want, bookmark it, and then seldom, if ever, leave it to visit the General Discussion area. Not sure of a solution. Thanks for your answer @Nikolai.
I have, I believe, improved a lot over the years though. :) But by now the threads are dauntingly old and big and I am still a man of habit.

• 1Like
Reactions: