• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ekhm.
26.12 has passed 2 days ago already! Man, what's going on? How dare you let your RL bother you?! ;)
BTW, best (yet late) Christmas wishes. May your next year be twice as good as 2007! :)

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Europe Anno Domini 1475

Middle East and Greece

MiddleEast-2.gif

greece.gif

Kingdom of Greece was one of the most significant successor states of Eastern Roman Empire.

During XIth and XIIth centuries, Empire faced hard pressure from the aggressive and powerful Seljuk Sultanate. Emperors managed to hold their land in Asia Minor, partly thanks to Frankish crusaders that were constantly engaged in wars with Turks over the Holy Land. Unfortunately, latter part of XIIth century brought decline of Imperial power, as whole southern Greece fallen to Cyrenaican invaders (1176-1182). This defeat was further exploited by Seljuk Sultans, that conquered most of Byzantine lands in Asia Minor (1181-1188), and Europe (1189-1197). Finally, Empire cased to exist in year 1220, it`s territory partitioned between Seljuks, Cyrenaica, and Serbia. Greeks spent whole next century under Muslim occupation. During that period Seljuks and Cyrenaicans tried to convert their new subjects to Islam, but with only limited success. There was also significant influx of Turkic population into Asia Minor, but apart from eastern part of the region, they gained majority only in the former Byzantine 'Themes' of Paphlagonia and Bukellarion (both, merged provinces renamed to Kastamonu by Seljuks).

However, beginning of XIVth century saw slow decline of Seljuk power, as they were loosing wars with Crusaders, Hungarians, and Mongols. Finally Greek nobles from Macedonia, Thessalonice, Bursa and Aegean Islands successfully rebelled against weakened Turks. Newly proclaimed kingdom resembled Byzantine Empire of the past, as kings were elected by highest nobles among themselves.

Kingdom gradually expanded during next century in two directions. They fought for Peloponnese with Emirs of Athenes (descendant state of Cyrenaica), and with Seljuks in Asia Minor. Political system of orthodox realm, with extensive privileges of nobles, was very tempting for Greek nobility outside it. They greatly helped kingdom of 'Hellas' in it`s wars, revolting against their enemies in the right time. Unfortunately, many Byzantine lands held by weakening Muslims were taken by two catholic naval powers from Italy. Venice took Morea, Epirus and some Aegean islands, while Norman kingdom of Naples - Crete, Cyprus, but most of all Thrace with Constantinople.

In year 1475 Greek kings were powerful monarchs in the regions, with strong army and navy, however, their power had to be shared with nobles. They were also, more often with each passing year, expressing their claims over former Byzantine territories, which brought hostility in relations with kings of Naples and Venetian Doges. There were also attempts to incorporate minor Greek principalities from Asia Minor by a diplomatic means, but without success. Would this Greek noble republic proclaim new 'Roman Empire' in the future was unknown at this point in history.

hakanaids.gif

While Greece was descendant state of Byzantine Empire, Sultanate of Hakanaids originated from old Seljuk lands.

Years since the reign of Alp Arslan Seljuk saw two centuries of war and conquest for Turkic Sultanate. Seljuk Turks reached peak of their power at the end of XIIth century, when their Empire stretched from Hungary in the west to Afghanistan in the east. Unfortunately, as a result they were surrounded by hostile realms, forced to wage war on many fronts. Their advance in Europe was halted when they suffered terrible defeat with crusading Polish-German-Hungarian coalition in years 1189-1195. Also Frankish Crusaders, occupying coast of Levant expanded east at the expense of Seljuk lands. Final blow that broken power of the Sultanate, came in year 1265 from the north-east, when Mongol hordes led by Hulegu Khan conquered whole Seljuk Persia and Caucasus. Lands ruled by Seljuk Dynasty were limited to parts Asia Minor, where Muslim Turks were minority.

It soon turned out that they were unable to maintain their reign over hostile Greek majority, and their lands were diminished to southern coasts of Black Sea and Aleppo area, after revolts in years 1314-1349. Till the year 1375 only small Emirates of Candar and Aleppo had left from the Seljuk realm.

At the same time, Il-Khanate collapsed into several smaller realms. Tamerlane, who conquered most of the former Asiatic lands of Mongol Khanate, granted power over region of Azerbaijan to Turkmeni tribes. Tribal federation known as Ak Koyunlu, allied from the very beginning with Emirate of Aleppo, because both realms were surrounded by enemies - Crusader States, Greeks, and Arabs. They came even closer when Hakan I succeeded as a ruler of both countries (1455), merging them into Sultanate (1462). AD 1465 Hakan created an alliance with Arabian Emir of Al-Hassa against kingdom of Jerusalem. Crusaders, that lost support of Egypt earlier, were defeated and their territory was limited to Holy City and it`s vicinity. But alliance of two Muslim realms didn`t last for long. In year 1470 Emir Hamid II invaded Hakanaid lands, using internal turmoil in Turkic realm, after death of Hakan I. Arabian armies were victorious, and Turks had to secede their southernmost lands, including Baghdad. After recreation of Caliphate in year 1472, sultans of Hakanaid dynasty considered their Arabic neighbor as a rival and enemy. However, there was strong support for Caliphate from many their own subjects, who saw rulers of Baghdad as ones who will banish Frankish Crusaders from rightfully Muslim lands during the Holy War.

In year 1475 Sultanate was still destabilized country, with various tribes and groups competing with each other for power. Hakanainds maintained good relation with neighboring Timurid Empire and Emirate of Georgia. Would Sultans managed to bring stability over their realm in the following years, most likely direction of their expansion was divided Asia Minor..

egypt.gif

History of Kingdom of Egypt begun with Crusades. In year 1093 Rome has fallen to Cyreneican and Berber corsairs. Holy Father fled to Avignon and from there he announced First Crusade - to liberate eternal city. Muslim invaders were repelled five years later, however, Popes didn`t return their capital to Rome till year 1260. Instead, they announced next Crusade, in hope to move their seat to the Holy City of Jerusalem.

Second Crusade (1109-1126), which mustered many French, but also German, Hungarian and English knights ended with massive success - conquest of Holy Land, Lesser Armenia and northern Egypt, by utter destruction of Fatimid Sultanate. Pope however, chosen Antioch for his new capital, as it was much safer than Jerusalem.

First decades of Christian rule saw brutal atrocities and persecution of local Muslim majority, but also Jews and even local fringes of Christianity. However, Egyptians Copts were left alone, and crusaders maintained friendly relations with patriarch of Alexandria, counting on his support. Those first attempts to convert large numbers of Muslims to Christianity by force, proved to be ineffective, and led to more rebellions than conversions.

Whole XIIIth century saw slow, but steady expansion of Emirate of Cyrenaica to the east, and by the year 1289 crusaders were pushed out of Egypt. However, in years 1325-1331 Emirate was completely destroyed by growing naval power of the Mediterranean Sea - Norman kingdom of Naples. This allowed crusaders to re-conquer Egypt. Once this was achieved, previously unified Crusader States divided into feudal kingdoms of Jerusalem and Egypt, that maintained close alliance and friendly relations. Rulers of two realms changed their policy of conversion from applying brutal force, to tactic that was used by Arabs - economy. Special tax imposed on believers of Islam proved to be by far more efficient, and till the end of century Christians were majority.

With the beginning of XVth century Jerusalem and Egypt went in different directions. While first one remained heavily militarized state with heavy dependence on Catholic clergy and Rome, the latter transformed into more peaceful feudal state with both flanks protected by Duchy of Tripolitania and Jerusalem. Rich lands of Nile area lured many European knights to move to Egypt, and kingdom greatly benefited from Red Sea trade. Growth of Egyptian power in years 1400-1450, proved that kingdom was no longer dependent on support of Rome. Because Copts made up about two thirds of the population at that time, king Michael I officially established Coptic Church of Alexandria as state religion. This move created outrage in Rome. Holy Father excommunicated Michael, and demanded from king of Jerusalem immediate declaration of war on heretics. But de facto power of Egypt by far exceeded that of Jerusalem, and whole affair ended with annulment of centuries old alliance between Crusader States.

In year 1445 Egypt established contact with country to the far south, that shared the same faith - Ethiopia. Two years later rulers of both Coptic countries forged an alliance against Sunni Nubia, which was partitioned after quick war. Unfortunately, at the same time Jerusalem armies were crushed by powerful Arabian-Turkish coalition which stripped them of all lands except vicinity of the Holy City. Desperate king of Jerusalem asked ruler of Egypt to renew their alliance, despite his excommunication.

AD 1475 Egypt was powerful, rich, and advanced country, surrounded by either - allies, or friends. However, Jerusalem could fall soon, and Egyptian kings would have to face resurgent Caliphate of Baghdad and their Jihad..

caliphate.gif

Expansion of Arabs, which eventually led to resurrection of Caliphate, begun in early XIVth century. At the traditional oasis area at the south-western coast of Persian gulf, existed small Emirate of Al-Hassa that conquered many neighboring Arabian cities and tribes in years 1309 - 1345. During latter half of the century, Emirate grown even further, expanding to the north after collapse of the Il-Khanate, and dominating Arabian peninsula. In 1465 Al-Hassa allied with Turkic Hakanaid Sultanate defeated crusaders from Jerusalem, however, most conquered lands passed into Turkish hands which seriously undermined relations of both Muslim realms.

When charismatic Hakan I died, his country fell into period of internal strife. Ambitious Emir al-Jannabi used this opportunity to invade his former allies in year 1470, and annex their lands with Arabic majority, especially Baghdad - cultural center of the Muslim World. Bold Emir transfered his capital there in year 1471, and year later he proclaimed new Caliphate under his leadership, with aim to reclaim all lands that belonged to Islam.

timurids.gif

Timurid Empire created by Tamerlane in late XIVth century, was dominant power in central Asia. It stretched from Persia to Ural Mountains and from Caspian Sea to India. In year 1475, Empire was still powerful, but revolts and internal disputes of many tribes and religious groups began to reveal it`s weaknesses.

minors1-1.gif

Trebizond, Iconion, Anatolia and Capadocia were Orthodox, Greek principalities, that revolted against Seljuk rule at the end of XIVth century. Those small countries had to resist both - Greek claims over former Byzantine lands, as well as eventual Turkish expansion, would kingdom of Armenia fall. Kingdom of Jerusalem lost almost all of it`s former might, and it`s further existence depended fully on Egyptian support. Emirate of Candar, isolated in Asia Minor, and surrounded by Greeks was direct descendant state of the Seljuk Sultanate. However, it seemed that only an alliance with powerful Muslim state could saved them from destruction.

Lesser Armenia has been in Papal hands since the beginning of XIIth century. However, once Holy Father returned his capital from Antioch to Rome in year 1299, he turned Lesser Armenia into dependent Archbishopric. Would Papal influence and power be still sufficient enough, to rally crusade in case of Muslim attack was unknown at this time in history. Emirate of Azerbaijan was granted limited autonomy by Hakanaids during period of internal instability in year 1473.

animmap-2.gif

Greece/Middle East 1066-1475

Ufff - last part of the regional European overview. I`m aware that my grammar still sucks, but I hope that there isn`t many 'All your base are belong to us' kind of sentences :D . I`ll throw some maps regarding religions and economy in next update, and then I`ll proceed to the actual playing (at last).

Elecwaves - Cheers :)

frigidmagi - Thank you for compliment - it`s always great to find that new readers are dropping by. :)

M4 Emperior - Right after next update :cool:

gigau - Welcome sir. Cool to have such talented modder as a reader. :)

Emperor_krk - Well, I`ll have to remember that promising an update on specific date is a bad idea :D. Thanks, and Happy New Year for you too.

Legolas - Thank you sir. :)

Oh and one more thing - I, of course, 'modded' some events into game. For example there was no conversion of Egypt into Coptic faith (I did it manually, as historically there was many of them at the time of crusade). There also was no event of restoring Caliphate - I just thought that so huge Al-Hassa with Baghdad and Crusaders next door could do that. :) Same goes to Greek minors - I just changed their names from those Tekes, Karamans etc., as well as coa`s.

Last edited:
once again, an amazing update, I love the graphics.

how do you make those flags?

The Middle East certainly has seen its share of turmoil. I'll be definitely interested to see which way those Anatolian states go... whether they fall into the control of the Greek or the Hakanaids.

Love the middle East. Are Copts a separate religion you mod in your game or Orthodox?

Your grammar is fine, only thing is your lack of 'the' and sometimes plural form.

As Grub said, the most apparent thing about your grammar is the lack of "the". The English put it before every other words from time to time, it seems. So if in doubt, better write "the" than not :)

A cool update once again nevertheless. Good luck when back to playing :)

Wonderful! Very very believable!

I loved the attempts at conversion, by the way. Taxes are the way to go for sure.

"From Hungary to Afghanistan" - I bet they want to reconquer all that....

Another great update TM. I will never tire of either your very original writing or your gorgeous graphics. Great job.

Great. I liked this even more than all the other 'European' updates, for some reason :). And no, it wasn't because of the Byzantines. Perhaps because the political situation changed here so drastically and dramatically over the time, with even Norway, the Pope and your Poland acquiring some land in the Near East...
Anticipating more :D. And thank you for voting in my AAR :).

wow, there was a lot happening in the region :D
i'm looking forward to seeing the reestablished roman empire :)
and of course i can't wait to see what's gonna happen with poland. a lot of time has passed since the last real gameplay ;)

For example there was no conversion of Egypt into Coptic faith (I did it manually, as historically there was many of them at the time of crusade).

Perfectly believable, there are still over 6 million Coptic Christians within Egypt today. Can't wait for the game to resume.