• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rolexovsky

Revolutionnaire in Thigh-Highs
12 Badges
Nov 6, 2015
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Darkest Hour
Hello everyone!
I don't know how many people are still interested in this sort of thing, but I've always wanted to try my hand at writing an AAR. I've spent at least 10 years lurking and reading all kinds of interesting stories here and felt like it was time to write one of my own. I will try to take the doomed Germany of the Endsieg scenario out for a spin and attempt to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat. Bear with me, as it may be a bit rough, due to my comparable lack of experience doing this, but hopefully, I can offer you something that will be slightly more than a complete waste of your time. Perhaps you could read it whilst sitting on the toilet or something.
Regarding the game itself, nothing is off the table. I will try keeping the exploiting to the bare minimum, but I'm sure everyone agrees the scenario simply isn't possible without a non-zero amount of cheese. With a little luck, I'll start posting soon.
Cheers

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The scenario used will be the standard DH 1.05.2 Endsieg scenario with no misc edits, checksum KVZZ. I will update this post with hyperlinks to particular chapters as I post them.

1683370150468.png

The rules used:
1683376367907.png

Chapter Index:

Introduction

CHAPTER I(a) (b) (c) Chancellor Suffers A Stroke

CHAPTER II(a) (b) (c) Vorwärts!

Intermezzo 1. Jan 1945

Chapter III(a) (b) (c) (d) The Straw That Breaks The Camel's Back

Intermezzo 1. Feb 1945

Chapter IV(a) (b) (c) Like The Good Old Days

April Fools Intermezzo 1. April 1945

Chapter V(a) (b) (c) Unternehmen Stiefel

Chapter VI Remembrance Of More Peaceful Times, Or A Sign Of Troubles To Come

Chapter VII A Country A Day Keeps The Allies Away

Chapter VIII The Kriegsmarine Strikes Back

Chapter IX Gott Strafe England!

Chapter X Sunset Over The British Empire

Chapter XI The Eastern Front Reawakens

Chapter XII(a) (b) Gathering Strength

Chapter XIII Unternehmen Sturmwind

Chapter XIV Unternehmen Felix

Chapter XV Vorwärts Ohne Unser Rommel

Chapter XVI No Peace In The Middle East

Chapter XVII Unternehmen Schachmatt

Chapter XVIIIa b c d e Unternehmen Barbarossa

Chapter XIX Consolidation of New Europe

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Here comes the pain!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Introduction

1683370469712.png

As many of you may know, the situation Germany finds herself in at the onset of this scenario is slightly less than ideal. We are out of everything, from the resources needed to run our admittedly respectable industry to the men needed to wield the arms our factories churn out.

Our production pool starts filled with a number of semi-completed units, which will surely come in handy, as they will be the only full strength divisions available for quite a while in the sorry shadow of the former Wehrmacht. The V2 rockets will also come in handy to slow our enemy movements down to a crawl once we use them for logistical strikes to buy ourselves some precious time for reorganization.

1683371103992.png

1683371126414.png

Our navy, if the sorry collection of obsolete vessels scattered all around the Baltic and the Northern seas can be called that, is but a shadow of its former self, a pattern that you may notice recurring.
1683371406779.png

Our main firepower is concentrated in the 34 relatively modern submarines. The other vessels are little better than useless supply and fuel sinks, but we may yet find a use for them.

The Luftwaffe, while respectable in both number and overall tech level, is but a fraction of what we need to ensure the safety of the skies above our glorious Reich. It is a problem that will persist for the time to come, as we will be at the mercy of the Allied and Soviet air fleets. A remedy will have to be found, if a remedy in such a situation exists at all.
1683371701883.png

Finally, the remnants of the glorious Wehrmacht. The army that once made Europe tremble is but an ember of the flame that once roared through Poland, France, and the Soviet Union. While numerous and modern on paper, many divisions are barely half-strength, and our remaining men do not suffice to staff them completely. Moreover, 43 of our 317 divisions start in various encirclements, the largest one being the Courland pocket. However, we have a good number of armored divisions, and our panzers will prove to be our best bet at winning this scenario. For now, we shall disregard the fact that our oil stockpiles allow us to field them efficiently for about a week at most.
1683372430127.png

With that, I feel I have rounded the capabilities of the country on our hands up pretty well. In the next post, I will go over the particularities of the fronts we will be fighting in for the time to come.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
For the sake of clarity, I will divide the war into three theaters, in order of priority: the Western Front, the Italian Front, and the Eastern Front. That isn't to say that the Eastern Front is to be disregarded, it is still the most important and taxing front we are in, it's merely a sad truth that we won't be able to do anything there for quite a while.

The Western Front

PlanOKW.png

The basic plan is as outlined above. Von Rundstedt can count on 81 divisions for the undertaking, with most of them being assigned offensive supplies and being in good strength. The majority of our airforce also stands ready to assist. The aim will be to destroy the majority of the Allied forces in France and close the front down as soon as possible. This will be the only offensive front.

The Italian Front

PlanItaly.png

For the lack of a better word, Social Italy is to be thrown under the bus. Our Croatian and Hungarian allies will also be left to their own devices and used to stall the red tide long enough for the Allied motorized divs to speed through Austria and narrow the frontline enough not to have to man the full frontline with the Soviets, as they are the vastly more serious and powerful threat. The exact division count will be given once the defensive lines are formed.

THE EASTERN FRONT

PlanOst.png

Now we come to the elephant in the room. Some of you may be shocked by the sheer amount of ground I'm gonna give, but in my previous playthroughs, I've reached the conclusion that it is indeed the most tenable line to make the Soviet pain train stop attacking, Allied cooperation permitting. The Courland pocket I shall attempt to evacuate to the best of my ability. At the start, Germany starts with 3 transport flotillas in the Baltic Sea and they will be merged with our old surface ships to try and save our stranded divisions. Most of the tanks will also immediately be transported to the West to ensure proper and timely closure of the front. It is of uttermost importance to close the Western Front before the Soviets can arrive at the new defensive line in force.

• 6Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER I - Chancellor Suffers A Stroke

In the early morning hours of December 15th, 1944, Adolf Hitler suffered a stroke, likely a result of an aneurysm bursting having read the latest battle report from the East. Having been remedied by his faithful dr. Morell with the usual cocktail of hard drugs, he calls his close circle of advisors for a meeting.

1683378404707.png

Still aghast at the unseemly hour at which they were summoned, the cabinet suffers a collective heart attack as Hitler authorizes a full retreat to the prewar Oder-Warthe-Bogen defensive line extended to Bavaria. Austria is to be temporarily ceded to the enemy, so the Chancellor no longer is tempted to visit his hometown and to help solidify his newfound work ethic. After being assured that it was indeed not an early (or late?) April fools joke by a casual mention of the firing squad, the Chief of the Army Paul Hausser scurries away to start organizing the general retreat. An attack order is given in the West, as per the original plan. The Allies need to be pushed back into the sea.

The Chancellor's attention now turns to the ministers in charge of outfitting his glorious army. "Gentlemen," they are told, "I need you to completely and utterly reverse the mechanization of the logistics of the common infantry. Queen of the battlefield, the German infantry, chall from here thereon march with the support of the tried and tested horse logistics. Make sure it happens as soon as possible, and that our panzers get the logistical attention they need for the attack in the West. The invisible hand of the market should help you in your task. Dismissed."

1683379577715.png
1683379670839.png

Von Ribbentropp gets instructed to trade for oil with whomever he is still able to, as everyone but the most arduous members of the diplomatic corps has by now forgotten who Germany is at war with and if there are any countries who do not fit the description.

1683379759691.png

Dönitz is promised new subs, as usual.
Von Greim is told to make his planes fly on German willpower alone until the sufficient amounts of fuel can be secured.
1683379787496.png

Buch is instructed to start recruiting in the nurseries and retirement homes, as apparently Germany still has some untapped reserves of men. He is also to take lunch money from the elementary school students as compensation for the rifles issued.

1683380167412.png

Lastly, Bormann gets told to off himself, as, despite his economic versatility, he still demoralizes the troops with the lack of nudity in the party newspaper. Alas, he cannot be substituted, as the sanctity of the office of the Head of State is sadly not subject to the powers of Germany's dictator.

1683380224262.png

(I will now reorganize the armies, leaders, and production. The next update will also cover the military movement prior to the unpausing.)

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
Germany doesn't appear to be in a good position. Are they at war with America yet?

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Cool to see a challenge AAR like this, best of luck! :)
Interestingly, you start with 3 Transport Planes and a whooping 7 Paratroopers here - I wonder if Göring's Fallschirmjäger will make a difference!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Best of luck, loving the attention to detail and all the info and your plans!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Always great to see a DH AAR, and especially a Endsieg one
Thank you, will hopefully make it worth your time

Germany doesn't appear to be in a good position. Are they at war with America yet?
My man, America is sitting on the prewar German border, they are out for blood.
Cool to see a challenge AAR like this, best of luck! :)
Interestingly, you start with 3 Transport Planes and a whooping 7 Paratroopers here - I wonder if Göring's Fallschirmjäger will make a difference!
Thanks! Indeed, the paras will play a significant role in the coming months ;)
Best of luck, loving the attention to detail and all the info and your plans!
Thank you, I am trying to thread a fine line between autism and not boring you to death

Anyway, will post a continuation soon

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Ib

'Tis time to finally start making the moves that will hopefully be translated into a victorious geopolitical position 3-5 years down the line. The first one, as always, is to gather our dwindling Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine so they may be reorganized into more useful formations than the profoundly unintelligent ones we happen to start with.

navy rebase.png
air rebase.png

Additionally, Germany starts with a large number of different brigades, some more useful than others. The vast majority of the ones attached to our Eastern units will be redeployed as soon as possible to the Western Front, so we may get some much-needed additional firepower in the initial phase. Military police and engineers are our last significant manpower banks, so they are getting disbanded, as their combat efficiency is not stellar. We can afford to waste ic-days, but manpower is precious.

brigades.png

The trapped garrisons of Crete and the Cyclades were immediately disbanded to utilize their manpower elsewhere, as we have no realistic option to rescue them at present.

trapped gars.png

7 divisions of Fallschirmjäger will promptly be transported to Frankfurt am Main posthaste, to try and assist in the attempted repetition of Fall Gelb.

paras strat.png

The majority of our mobile divisions are getting transported to the Western Front as well. They will take a while to arrive, but much less than the time required for the Soviets to reach our new defensive line (hopefully). The plan is for them to try and wrap the Allied shenanigans in France up for good.

armor rebase.png

The last monetary reserves of the Reich will also go towards the rapid conversion of some of our convoys into a military transport flotilla, to be used in the attempted rescue of the Courland pocket.

tra conversion.png

Our economic situation isn't looking bad, if one would simply disregard the money, oil and manpower stockpiles. Doesn't help to glance at the transport capacity either to be perfectly honest. To make matters worse, we will be seeing matters deteriorating further as we give ground in exchange for time and reinforce our battered units.

eco.png

The promises to Dönitz weren't a fluke this time around. We will be greenlighting a huge buildup plan for the strengthening of the Kriegsmarine, which will eventually result in 90 new submarine flotillas being fielded. The submarine models will be of the thus far unseen kind, with unprecedented resilience and firepower. Hell, how much of a submarine is it if it can mount a plane somehow? However, our production will not be poured into them just yet, as the reinforcements for the West take precedence.

subs.png

The remnants of the Kriegsmarine surface forces were immediately dispatched to try and start the evacuation of the Courland pocket under the skilled command of Great Admiral Marschall, who has a knack for superior positioning in battle. We shall see if his natural commanding talent outweighs the fuel shortage plaguing his ships.

rescue.png

Lastly, the intellectual circles of the Reich were instructed to begin work on the design of various new Wunderwaffe. It is a wonderful combination of land, air and naval improvements to leave no part of our intelligentsia feeling unused.

tech.png

The next part will have us finally unpausing and seeing what manner of mischief the Allies have prepared for us, and whether our malaise Chancellor can tackle the new threats.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Whilst I am in no way competent enough at the game to play Endsieg with furious AI, I do know that this startdate has a decision regarding German nuclear research if you controll the whole of Norway. The problem ofcourse being the one province the Soviets controll up north, are you planning a counterattack to take the decision seeing as Heisenberg is working nuclear research?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Whilst I am in no way competent enough at the game to play Endsieg with furious AI, I do know that this startdate has a decision regarding German nuclear research if you controll the whole of Norway. The problem ofcourse being the one province the Soviets controll up north, are you planning a counterattack to take the decision seeing as Heisenberg is working nuclear research?
Aware of the decision, but I don't think it's critical for me to sink so many resources up in the north. I'll just retreat to Narvik and hold there, while transporting the spare divisions to the Eastern Front. Admittedly I could probably have taken it with starting forces, but it tanks my TC, requires air support and is far from guaranteed, as it depends on the Soviet deployment. I decided it simply isn't worth it, so I'll just research everything the old-fashioned way.

Update coming.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Ic

The time has finally come to set the timer free. Americans immediately greet my decision with some aggression.
attacks on unpause.png

The defenders in Colmar are immediately instructed to retreat to Freiburg before any losses could be sustained.

colmar defeat.png

The battle in Nijmegen we keep going, as it suits us for the Allies to throw their forces deeper into the salient. A single tank division under Walther Model is instructed to support the defense of Nijmegen so that their leader's superior defensive tactics could be used to some effect. The encircled defenders of Dunkirk also have no choice but to clench their teeth and try to withstand the siege, hoping they can be relieved.

we keep it going.png

However, the German Heer doesn't remain idle for long: the attack order is given on Luxemburg with the majority of our battle-worthy divisions, with a pinning attack in Eupen as well. The Luftwaffe meanwhile is reorganized in Frankfurt into somewhat functional formations.

our attacks.png
luxemburg.png

The last reserves of V2 rockets are primed and released on the Allied supply lines, wreaking havoc.

V2 log strike.png
logstrikes.png

The Soviets give the abandoned Hungarian divisions no rest and recommence their unstoppable march towards the heart of the Axis lands.

komarno attack.png

Manfred von Manstein unleashes the blitz once more upon the utterly unprepared salient under the command of American general Devers. How long can they withstand this sort of pressure?

manstein vs devers in luxemburg.png

As that is happening, general Demelhuber is stoically defending Nijmegen with his battered infantry. The situation is under control, however, as the Allies are unable to secure a landing over the river for now.

demelhuber nijmegen.png

The defenders of Dunkirk likely can think of better days their division had seen. They persist, however.

dunkirk.png

The Hungarians also show valiant effort in stopping the Soviet steamroller for now, if temporarily.

hungarians in komarno.png

The Soviets also attempt to interfere with the evacuation attempt in Courland. The superior expertise and arms of the Kriegsmarine easily prevail against their feeble attempt, costing the Soviet Baltic Fleet the majority of their capital ships.

soviet interception riga.png

Finally, the Luftwaffe takes to the skies once again. Göring's beloved planes have surely seen better days, but they remain a threat to be reckoned with, at least locally. The hard-pressed Allied divisions in Luxemburg and Eupen will definitely be acutely aware of the fact that the German skies still belong to the enemy.

luftwaffe luxemburg.png

The last hope of the Reich lies in this offensive. If it succeeds, Germany lives to fight another day. If it fails, she dies fighting. Onwards to Valhalla!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Well, Germany's position is horrible, but it looks like they'll focus on the west.

A few victories to ensure that the Reich can live to fight another day. That's a good start.

Reactions:
Chapter IIa - Vorwärts!

"My Führer..." Hausser starts, but is interrupted by Germany's dictator: "The attack has started? You've done your job, as ordered? Great! Now cease interrupting my 'me time' with unnecessary info. Tell me when someone kicks the gates of Paris down!" -"Jawohl. I'll return when I have some proper news." he says as he leaves the room, exasperated. Still, he can't be too judgmental of his leader, as a minor elevation in his eccentricity was a price he was willing to pay for the newfound strategic soundness it was accompanied by.
"Hah, maybe it's for the better. Now I got time for another würst."

As that bizarre exchange was happening, the Allied probing attacks in Nijmegen and Dunkirk are called off. The encircled garrison gets a short moment's respite.

win in dunk.png

To exploit the momentary disorganization of the Allies in the Netherlands, von Rundstedt decides to advance on Maastricht to try and draw as many units into the salient.

maastricht.png

Alas, as the few good news were trickling in, bad ones started rolling in as well: Hungary had signed a separate truce with the Soviets, and now fights against us! "Disappointing, but hardly unexpected" was the consensus in the OKW when the news arrived.

treason.png

The beleaguered defenders of Dunkirk had to take up arms yet again, for their rest was not longer than 4 hours.

dunkirk reattacked.png

To make matters worse, the Allies were unfazed by the renewed Luftwaffe operations. They struck our bomber fleet over Luxemburg and they struck in force. It was a stinging defeat for the Göring's finest, despite the fighter screen.

air defeat.png

Not all news were bad, though. The first 4 divisions rescued from the Courland pocket set foot on German soil again. They are immediately reassigned to the West.

first 4 saved.png

As the Allies scramble to defend Maastricht, Model is instructed to attack Eindhoven while Demelhuber's infantry follows suit.

model eindhoven.png

Of course, not even a world war prevents us from bullying the less fortunate for supplies. They don't seem to be aware of the fact Germany no longer has the ability to deliver on its threats.

force swiss.png

The perfidious Britons have started spreading foul rumors among our populace insinuating that the final victory is not a sword's stroke away. Regrettably, some believe them.

smear.png

Our former ally's fleet attempts to interfere with our rescue operation but is sent to line the bottom of the Baltic Sea in about two hours.

finnish navy poof.png

The glorious Luftwaffe gives an Allied bombing fleet a taste of their own medicine. The Reich's skies are no longer theirs to cruise unescorted. Than maneuver also costs Germany the last droplet of her oil reserve.

british dunk.png
oil aus.png

Americans prove a little tougher, but the German planes stand their ground (air?)

americunts still fly.png

The arrival of a large number of Allied armored divisions in Maastricht forces von Rundstedt to call the attack off, as it is no longer sustainable. He had fulfilled his goal of drawing them away from the battle in Luxemburg.

fail in maastricht.png

The bus finally hits our poor Italian ally. No survivors.

expected.png

Apparently, our ambitious pilots would call this a defeat. May we suffer many more just like this!

defeat so called.png

The first mobile divisions from the East arrive in Trier, ready to join the battle. They are quickly reorganized and assigned to skilled leadership. They will soon join the battle of Luxemburg.

cavalry arriving.png

As of now, there are several battles still raging.

battles.png

All of them will continue for the time to come. If the Allied lines burst in Luxemburg, that will be the light at the end of the tunnel for our tortured nation.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Chapter IIb

The fight for the Benelux rages on. As the fatigued German war machine thirsty for oil sluggishly grinds the Allied resistance down in Luxemburg, von Rundstedt decides to attack once again, as the enemy armor has largely left Maastricht.

rundstedt again.png

The American resistance in Luxemburg finally yields on Christmas 1944, marking Manfred von Manstein's 2nd triumphant breakthrough in the region 4 and a half years after the previous one. The battle was an absolute slaughter, as the last fully operational units of the Wehrmacht struck the unprepared Americans under the skillful leadership of OKW's best. Saarbrucken is immediately attacked by the Americans in return, who finally seem to have grasped the severity of the situation their forces in Belgium have found themselves in. With a little luck, the encirclers may become the encircled.

luxemburg win.png

Perfidious Albion attempts to land more forces behind our lines, perhaps to try and assist their American allies, but to no avail. Karl Dönitz guards the Reich's beaches with his loyal submariners and inflicts severe damage on multiple carriers, as well as sinking numerous transport ships. Sadly, the ones carrying British divisions managed to evade his torpedoes.

donitz common w.png

Another triumph for the defenders of Dunkirk warrants a new batch of Iron Crosses to be ordered by Chancellor Hitler himself, to be distributed if any of them manage to survive this ordeal. Admittedly the expectation is for them to be awarded posthumously.

dunkirk w.png

Paul Hausser immediately orders all available divisions to advance and exploit the disarray in the Allied lines. This is where the Allied might in France shall be broken! God willing, he will have proper news for the Führer the next time he joins the cabinet meeting.

breakthrough.png

The Americans attempt to halt the seemingly unstoppable Wehrmacht with some paratroopers lacking the heavy equipment to efficiently deal with Hausser's panzers. They will buy some time at best, and get massacred at worst (for them).

namur blocked.png

To follow the triumphs of the previous holiday, St. Stephen brings the news of the American resistance yielding in both Namur and Eindhoven. Hausser immediately resumes his march.

boxing day.png

As another American paratrooper division gets evicted from Namur, the defenders of Dunkirk are to undergo yet another tribulation at the hands of their enemies.

mixed news.png

The encircled division in La Rochelle seems to be attracting disproportionate attention from the Allied air command. They aren't suffering any losses due to the extensive fortifications in the city, but those bombs aren't falling on our vulnerable advancing units. For that, they have OKW's immense gratitude.

air magnet.png

Spirits high from the news of impending victory and not wanting to miss out on the glory themselves, von Bock and Guderian launch attacks of their own on Strassburg and Metz respectively.

metz and strasbourg counter.png

A lone partisan division, in its misguided anger, delays the Soviet advance into German-occupied Slovakia. The OKW toasts to the health of the rebel leadership and their strategic brilliancy.

partisan bros.png

Model's lone panzer division outpaces Demelhuber's infantry and gets immediately attacked upon arrival to Eindhoven. His defensive genius is permitted to shine again until he can be relieved.

american pin.png

When hearing of the news that the Americans decided on the futility of attacking the master of defensive warfare that is Walther Model in his element, von Ribbentrop reports on the British returning the Greek government-in-exile to power in their land. Let them rejoice while they can, for Wehrmacht may revisit them sooner than they think.

greece.png

The Americans, now themselves under pressure in Metz and Strassburg, cease the attack on Saarbrucken. The units there are immediately instructed to counterattack. Despite the localized news of the American defeat in Metz, they are soon proven to be false, as they resume the struggle to defend the city.

victories.png

Hausser's panzers are instructed to advance on the city of Brussels, to halt the Allied escape from the salient, as the fist around them clenches into an inescapable prison.

hausser pin.png

A French division halts the advance of Hanneken's motorized infantry in Longwy, despite somehow being less supplied than the average troopers of the Wehrmacht. The French army has seen better days.

french without supply.png

In an attempt to release their divisions from being tied down guarding various encirclements, the Americans launch an attack on the well-fortified naval base of Lorient.

lorient siege.png

As soon as the coastal guard duty was established, before centralized command could even be established, the British attempted another amphibious assault in Amsterdam. Dönitz orders his subs to sally out from the Rotterdam port posthaste, as the Amsterdam garrison is utterly disorganized and will fall without his aid.

amsterdam.png

On the 27th of December, The encirclement of 25 American divisions in the Low Countries was completed. The Allies have not only gotten a bloodied nose, but a severe concussion as well. Even great names such as Dwight Eisenhower and Omar Bradley are rumored to be caught in the encirclement. The divisions in Brussels don't even attempt to break out, barely managing to avoid turning the general retreat into a mass rout.

triumph.png

In Berlin, the news are immediately relayed to the highest circles of the government. In a cheerful atmosphere, Hitler raises his glass of champagne to Eva Braun and his cabinet of ministers, while somehow avoiding spilling anything despite his violently shaking hands.
"To Germany! To our glorious Wehrmacht! Despite the doubts that many of you were beset with, as I told you, gentlemen, it's even funnier the second time!"

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: