• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't express my jealousy. I've always wanted to write a trench scene, but none of my games ran that far yet. Anyways, you did a better job at it than I could. The detail and the characters are just excellent.

The War to End All Wars...

anonymous4401 - thankyou, that's very kind.

15. 1915-1916, The Great War: The Russian War, Part II

Africa1915.jpg

By the end of 1915, Persian forces had taken back Saratov, Derbent, Syzran and Wadelai. The African colonies had been conquered and the Russians were running from the several Persian divisions in both East and West Africa. But a push came in November in Georgia, led by the Tsar himself. Russian regulars were able to crash the line and meet up with partisans quickly retaking much of their previously lost ground. Abbas Ali was forced to consolidate his Central Asian armies and hold off taking further ground there in the event they were needed in the west.

The main Persian armies fought bravely and resisted the Russian push. Within two months the counteroffensive was stopped and the drive was continued through central Russia. The lengthy battle of Sheki, now in its ninth month was finally won and the Russian forces in East Africa were no more.

RussianFront.jpg

By the spring, the eastern and western fronts became solidified and joined around Tsaritsyn and much of the action came to a standstill. Russia had become heavily dug in and Abbas Ali could only order attacks when he a had strong enough force to use, meaning he needed divisions of at least 100,000 men to secure a victory and push the Russians back. It was a slow process and meant that rebellion at home would continue, but it was an effective battle strategy that continued to net ground, even if at a slower pace than earlier in the war.

The world would fall into deeper conflict in these months as Germany declared war on France for the eighth time. Spain would once again join France in her attempt to repel the attack, but given both countries weak position, little hope was given to their possible victory. The greatest powers on the planet were now effectively in a world war. Newspapers in the United States, many calling for intervention would call it The Great War, even though the western European conflict was separate from the Russian fight. Further, the United Kingdom continued to sit on the sidelines, preferring to watch rather than contribute her considerable might.

May of 1916 would bring an armistice between China and Russia. China would take Chita, Krasnojarsk and Barnaul, provinces bordering her in Central Asia and Siberia. From the peace, Persia would also gain ownership of much of southern Georgia, including the hard fought ground of Naxcivan, Agdam and Eravan. As well, many of Russia’s African possessions would be given to Persia, further strengthening the already sufficient line there.

Yet the Persian/Russian war would continue, with further Russian victories in Central Russia. Abbas Ali grew considerably more concerned about whether the British might get involved, though he was given some comfort by the advance of the German armies in Europe. If the Brits went to war, they would most likely assist France first before coming to Russia’s aid. Still, he wanted to gain his victory sooner rather than later.

As the summer began, Ali was pleased to note that the Russian strength was dying away. Austrian forces were surrounding St. Petersburg and Persian forces had cut the eastern armies from the western in Siberia. It would only be a matter of time before the now combined Russian front broke and the Russians were defeated. By July, the Tsar realized this as well. On July 14th, just over two years after the war started, Abbas Ali met with the Tsar’s foreign secretary in Grozny.

In the peace agreement that followed, Russia was forced to give up all claims to colonies that were now occupied by Persia in both Central Asia and in Africa. For the African possessions that were larger than simple claims, a line was set in the Central Africa with Persia gaining all Russian provinces east of Coquilliatville. In Central Asia, the Tsar was to give up Uralsk, Orsk, Magnitnaja, Omsk and Tomsk. And in the Caucasus, a line was drawn in the center of the Georgian region, giving the Shah everything south of Gjumari, Tblisi and Gunib.

RussianAfricanPeace.jpg

RussianVictoryAsia.jpg

Russia had been defeated and Persia was now considered the second greatest power in the world, second only to Germany. Had the British intervened, this might have been different and Persia perhaps defeated, but King George and the new Prime Minister, David Lloyd George never heeded Russia’s call thus cementing the outcome. In August, Austria signed peace with Russia as well, finally bringing peace in Eastern Europe. Austria gained considerable territory to their east and Russia was once again humiliated to the world.

Soon after, Abbas Ali and the assembly began work on improvement of infrastructure in the newly conquered territory, with railroads constructed and extended and factories built. As well, the mighty Persian army was reinforced with fresh recruits, especially in Africa, and several key divisions were stationed along the border with Ethiopia in preparation for Ali’s next conquest. With the young Shah apparently now a puppet, Abbas Ali was becoming as much of a warmonger as any of the Shahs might have been before him. Germany remained at war, and still, the United Kingdom stood quiet. The weak grew weaker, and the strong thrived. The “Great War” continued.

OOC - My people vacation at the Persian lake known as The Aral Sea :D

Semi-Lobster - take a gander at the last paragraph from the last update once more. That should give you a slight clue where I may be headed next. ;) And I was quite pleased with my victory as well. It was a might hairy there for a tick.

And since I've had no takers on the trivia question thus far, I'll give you one more hint, and then I will relieve you of your, I'm quite sure, built up suspense. ;)

This quote from the post is key:
Though the age of eighty-one, Henry Strachen would once again help his country. But this time it was for the King and St. George. Perhaps soon, it might also include God.

Come on - doesn't anyone want that beer? At least the hearty slap on the back?? Bueller, Bueller? :D

Thanks for reading folks. :)

Thanks calcsam2 - I fear I've been going a tad fast, thus making it fairly hard on any newcomers that might stop by. I'm glad you checked it out and enjoyed it thus far. Just a few more years left, but they should be chocked full 'o stuff. :)

Excellent posts coz1. I imagine Sir Henry is saying things like "I told you so" to Asquith and co. about now.

Thanks stynlan - I'm actually somewhat perplexed how to handle Henry's reaction. I wanted to get through the war without too much interuption, aside from the Russian perspective. The next update will be an Interlude involving Henry dealing with "the children" again, though Asquith is no longer in power.

As you can see by the new AAR I started, I needed to take a slight break and clear my head a bit before I write the next bit. Plus the Super Bowl is on tonight, so Go Pats!! Just wanted to take a bit of a breather so I could return to it fresh. Should have Henry's reaction and whatnot tomorrow (Tuesday at the latest).

Thanks again for reading, everyone! :D

Just wanted to let you know that I have been following this aar with great interest for the past few days. I think it's a great read, easily one of the better ones I have so far. Keep it going! I am looking forward to the next update.

You have really been busy since I last checked. Nice pictures there and I am glad that you won the war with the Russian bear.

A very interesting AAR, looking forward to read the Grande Finale :)

Ahh. If only I got off taken today off work I would have joined you watching the Pats. Oh well, must plan ahead next year.

redwolf - Glad you are enjoying it. And thanks for the plug in the Tea Room!

Judge - Grand Finale should take a few days and then sadly, as always, we must move on. :(

stynlan - Yeah Pats!! Won $10 bucks off of that. Cheap bet, I know, but I'm not a terribly wealthy man. :)

R.F.A. - Check back later today. The next Interlude should give you an idea where I am going. ;)

Thanks again for reading and commenting all!

I know. I'm happy. I hear there was a famous British streaker who was rather roughly taken down by a Pat.

coz1 said:
redwolf - Glad you are enjoying it. And thanks for the plug in the Tea Room!

Judge - Grand Finale should take a few days and then sadly, as always, we must move on. :(

stynlan - Yeah Pats!! Won $10 bucks off of that. Cheap bet, I know, but I'm not a terribly wealthy man. :)

R.F.A. - Check back later today. The next Interlude should give you an idea where I am going. ;)

Thanks again for reading and commenting all!

NO! I don't want to move on! Wait, I have an idea! Create a HOI scenario, with the newly enlarged Persia and accordingly modified nations, and continue the legacy!

stynlan - I must have missed the streaker - but then, I missed Janet Jackson's breast shot too :rolleyes: - lot's going on and a bit too much alcohol intake I'm afraid. ;)

anonymous4401 - don't even own HOI, for some reason (don't know what right now). But check out my Holy Trinity AAR that just started. I am thinking about another character driven one down the road, but I need to do much research and get myself better prepared to write it. But I'm excited about the prospect. :D

Interlude
October 1916

balfourhouse.jpg

The fire crackled in front of the two men as they sat talking and having their after-dinner drinks. Arthur Balfour was smoking a cigar and Henry Strachen swirled his glass as he looked through it into the fire.

“It was a fine roast tonight, Arthur. I have been rather relaxed these last few days. Thank you again for asking me up here. I needed to get out of London, and the lack of interest from Buckingham Palace has been most tiresome.”

“I dare say there is no love loss between myself and the King either.”

“Still, at least you have a voice of importance now. Britain is ruled by the waves and you’ve got your finger on the ships at the Admiralty.”

“Yes, well. I was surprised when Asquith asked me to be First Lord. I’d have thought he had more interest in keeping with young Churchill, but they don’t seem to see eye to eye.”

“Smart lad,” Henry replied. He slowly stood up and shuffled over to the sideboard where a variety of liquor bottles were arrayed. Choosing his drink of choice, he poured a bit more in his snifter and shuffled back to his chair. He turned his backside to the fire for a moment before sitting down.

“Ah, I do love a good fire. Warms the old bones, don’t you know.”

“Yes, it’s quite good. I say, old boy, I could use some more expertise over at the office. I don’t suppose you might offer your services…just when you can…”

“Arthur, I am eighty-six years old. I don’t think they want some dotty old man sticking his old snout in their business. Besides, I’m not a navy man. What you need is someone with a louder voice than mine to convince Lloyd George that the time is up for these aggressors. Do you realize that we haven’t intervened in one major conflict outside of our own in a half a century?”

“Yes, it shames me to think what a waste our might has truly been. Still, Lloyd George has shown much more backbone that Herbert ever did. It was he that forced Asquith out, don’t you know?”

“True, true. But will he act now? I know we’ve never been one to protect outside of our own corner, but Ethiopia could simply be a stepping-stone to South Africa. How much longer must we appease these fools?”

“He hasn’t suggested anything to me that might allow me to think he has plans for action. I will speak with him about it again. We have developed a strange but effective working relationship, I should say. Who would have thought?”

Before Henry could answer, a knock on the door roused the two men from their conversation. Balfour went to the door and in front of him stood the Prime Minister, David Lloyd George. Next to him was a round-faced, dour looking young man.

“You’ve met Winston haven’t you Balfour?” Lloyd George asked as an introduction. Winston Churchill extended his hand and Balfour accepted it.

“Pleased, once again Mr. Churchill. Sirs, to what do we owe this pleasure?”

“Arthur, may we come in? There is something we need to discuss,” Lloyd George suggested.

The two men were allowed to enter the study and upon seeing Henry exchanged further pleasantries. Henry gestured for the men to sit and Balfour poured them both drinks.

“Cigars, gentlemen?” Balfour asked them.

“No thank you, sir?” replied Lloyd George.

“Yes, I’ll take one, if you please,” replied Churchill.

As Balfour sat once again, Lloyd George got down to business. “Arthur, we need to make some changes. I believe you know what I mean.”

Balfour looked up at Lloyd George with an interested expression, “Changes? I wish I knew of what you speak.”

“You have done splendid work at the admiralty, Arthur, but I’m afraid this business in Africa has been the final straw. King George is adamant that we reverse our stated position and get into this thing.”

Henry and Balfour both lit up with vigor.

“Outstanding, sir. What does His Majesty have in mind?” Henry asked quickly.

“He has left it up to me to determine this important step. And I have decided to bring Winston back to the Admiralty. His work speaks for itself, and we will need someone who is comfortable with war,” Lloyd George said gesturing to Churchill next to him. Churchill said nothing but nodded his approval. Balfour looked down at the floor, slightly dejected, but he too knew that it was a wise choice.

“Arthur, we haven’t thrown you out. I’ll need your mind and your friends in the House of Lords to be with us on this. I have proposed you as Foreign Secretary and King George extended his approval on the choice.”

“I am to be a statesman now?” Balfour asked.

“Splendid choice, Lloyd George. I can think of no better man for the job,” Henry suggested. Lloyd George sensed Balfour’s disapproval of the idea and was pleased to have support from Henry. Balfour spoke again,

“Well, you are the Prime Minister, sir. If you have asked me to, I shall join with you in putting down these rascals. But what of the Continent? Do we have plans there?”

“Not at the moment, I am afraid. If we were to involve ourselves every time the Germans and French fought, we would have been in never ending battle. Hundred Years War, indeed,” Lloyd George said with a chuckle.

Churchill added, “Sirs, we have been looking at this. I can assure you we will have the ships to blockade Germany, but we cannot spare the troops. It will be hard enough to get reinforcements into India. And we must haggle with the Portuguese in order to protect the colonies in the Congo. They stand wide open at present.”

“It seems we are to act, and not a moment too soon. I dare say Abbas Ali is more of an immediate threat than Wilhelm,” Henry affirmed. He looked at Balfour to signal his approval.

Balfour saw the old man’s face and realized that this was more than the right thing to do for the United Kingdom. This would be personal vindication for his old friend. “Whatever I can do to help, gentlemen, I will be of service.”

Lloyd George smiled at his coup. He would have one of the finest leaders of the opposition with him when it came to convincing the Lords. And he had the most tenacious First Lord of the Admiralty in order to carry it out. He, too, could sense the satisfaction that came over Henry Strachen and rose to shake his hand once more.

“Sir, I cannot apologize enough for our lack of haste in this matter. But had you not kept the pressure on, I dare say we may not have joined in yet,” Lloyd George said to Henry.

“Prime Minister, it was not I that kept the pressure on. It was the Persian Army. But I dare say, God willing, we will keep the pressure on them now,” Henry replied with a smile.

“Why Henry…have you decided God exists once again?” Balfour asked him, surprised to hear Henry use the Lord’s name.

“Whether I believed He exists or not is unimportant. He must exist now; for He has made sure that we do our duty. It matters not how long it took, it only matters that we are certain of victory now.”

“Here, here,” Churchill chimed in, “And I dare say that we are quite certain, sir!”

Last edited:
Nice ;) Quite a sudden change of pace in the middle there. Will Henry's hopes just be defeated? It's an interesting question I suppose. In many respects he has been the "good guy" of the tale, and I for one would be sorry if events went awry for him. But still, I'll be interesting in what happens.

This could get ugly....Good luck...I think you might need it...