• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Judge

Field Marshal
6 Badges
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
EU 2 1,08 with Mongol Empire Scenario 0.3.3.3b version
Settings: Normal/Normal
Goal: Survive the Mongol onslaught (which will be quite difficult to say the least) and spread the Nestorian faith
MES experience: A lot of EU 2 playing but only one MES game (as the Roman Empire)
Style of writing: Mostly narrative style
Warnings? No, a traditional AAR suitable to read for all kind of categories

Time for a new AAR and I decided to try the MES version this time. MES is a very good mod and just the kind of “early medieval game” that I like. I expect to post chapter I on Monday and will add one or two pictures then.

Prologue

In the 12th century, shortly before the rise of Genghis Khan, the various Mongol tribes lived just beyond the borders of present-day Mongolia, to the north of their present domains. In the east were the Konkirats, the tribe from which Genghis Khan took his bride. His own tribe, the Mongols proper, led a nomadic existence between forest and steppe in what is now the Chita region of the Russia. Farther west, near Lake Baykal, lived various forest tribes: the Merkits, Oirots, and Tumats. The tribes in the greater part of what is today Mongolia were of Turkic origin. Between the 6th and 10th centuries these tribes founded a series of dynasties that at one time or another were to control most of Asia west of China and India.

Just before Genghis Khan's rise to power there were a couple of important Turkic states in High Asia. In the extreme west were the Naimans, a Turkic tribe which possibly had some Mongol blood. The Naimans were adherents of an Eastern Christian sect, the Nestorians. It seems that Christian merchants took the Gospel to the Naimans. Some believed that the king of the Naimans actually was Prester John.

Last edited:
This ought to be interesting...especialy if the Mongols come at your full force....Keep a river between the two of you!

Amric said:
This ought to be interesting...especialy if the Mongols come at your full force....Keep a river between the two of you!

Amric thanks, sure will try. I guess they will come in very large numbers since the Naimans must be top priority for them to conquer (unite the Mongol and semi-Mongol tribes) :)

Uhm... You're right in the line of fire aren't you? Ack!

I like Amric's idea. Keep a river between you!
Then uhm...deepen it to about ten or twenty fathoms....
Poison it.
Line the entire thing with spears set to receive a charge.
Put up a lot of detour signs for them leading to Terra Incognita.
Then..uhm...pray.

Not much down time for you, eh Judge? Excellent news to see you writing another so soon. :D

jwolf not sure about which province but somewhere in the middle of the Siberian corridor. I will post a map in next update :)

Catknight sounds like a great IDEA, wonder if it will happen. The Mongols are brutal :cool:

Coz, haven’t been starting an AAR for ages so it was about time now :D

:eek: Ouch!

A tough path have you chosen, indeed! Naimans... I shudder only to think the mongol hordes coming to me...

Good Luck! you'll need it!

CatKnight said:
Uhm... You're right in the line of fire aren't you? Ack!

I like Amric's idea. Keep a river between you!
Then uhm...deepen it to about ten or twenty fathoms....
Poison it.
Line the entire thing with spears set to receive a charge.
Put up a lot of detour signs for them leading to Terra Incognita.
Then..uhm...pray.

Better get a Cattle grate. And some Hornet nests never hurt. Try to invent some Telsa Coils, that works in C&C, unless they bring in Mammoth Tanks. Throw in some AP Mines as well. You should wait for the second coming of Jesus, he could help.

And I think all your provinces start with NO fortifications...I think I overran the Naimans using about 6,000 cavalry in a VERY short time...when I played the Mongols...they start off with a pretty good leader in that area and just ROLL...

Mfigueras I put my faith in God. This will be a tough one but if I fail (which is likely though not written in stone) I will go down in a blaze of glory :)

The Gonzo, yeah maybe Jesus will come with an army of angels and slay the Mongols and then he might not.. :cool:

Amric, that’s right, no fortresses at all and just 100 gold (need them to build tax collectors). The only friendly guys around are the Keraits that share the Nestorian faith. They are even in more danger than the Naimans having their border close to the Mongols (so still I am really not the last Nestorian bulwark in the world). I might get steamrolled but I will take some Mongols with me into the grave :)

I think I would build those tax collectors, and then perhaps take a loan and get at least a fortress in your capitol. Then I would gather up money and build a small cavalry force and wait...once hostilities are declared I'd build as much cavalry as I could....now when I went against the Naimans, I massed troops on the border...I don't know if the Mongols will do that to you. If they do, it is a sure sign they are about to invade. If they don't and declare war on you, you have limited time because the horsemen will be showing up real soon...

A judge aar where. Gotta get some popcorn.
Billy Bob quickly leaves and comes back with 3 bags of popcorn 2 kegs of Mountain Dew and one issue of Playboy

What? Its incase something gets boring.

billy bob, you will not have time to read that magazine, the Mongols will guarantee that this AAR will keep you entertained :)

Judge said:
billy bob, you will not have time to read that magazine, the Mongols will guarantee that this AAR will keep you entertained :)

K. Have you figured out how old I am.

Yep, it seems you can never get too young to play good games :)

I have been playing the Naimans for a couple of decades now so at least I am still alive and able to give an account on the developments. Next update will be out tomorrow (I hope)

Do you think its odd that im only that old and I wrote that graphic of an epilogue.

Also would you like to suggest a nation on this thread

You should make an african or Asian nation.

billy bob, not at all, I think it is great that this game is played by young and old alike.

Now onto the story. I will add a lot more game info than usual (last section + two pictures) to give you an idea of the MES 0.3.3.3b game.

Prester John? (1150-1170)

It was a dark evening in the land of the Naimans. The year was 1160. The Christian King, Varkysh, took a look at his wife. She was beautiful but most women in the Naiman tribe were known to be just that – beautiful. The Naiman women were dark beauties, small and slender with white healthy skin, white teeth and glittering, green eyes. It was quite common that the unattractive Mongols raided the Naimans and the Keriats, who also were Nestorian Christians, for bride finding purposes; these terrible warriors from the steppe only interested in hunting and war. At the thought of the Mongols king Varkysh shuddered.

Suddenly a guard entered the large tent where the king resided. He preferred a tent to the large wood palace where most Naiman kings used to live. “Sire there is this monk that wants to see you. He claims he is from the Great Roman Empire”.

Varkysh smiled. Oh yes he knew all about the Roman Empire, the persecution of Nestorians and their outrageous treatment of the great Nestorious, the founder of the Christian Nestorian Religion. He frowned but decided to see the monk. “Send him in”.

A small monk, called brother Rubruck appeared. He had oily skin and a clever look on his face. “Great King, thanks for taking your time” he said while trembling relentlessly because of the stern cold he had been exposed to outside the tent.

The King waved impatiently with his hands. “To the matter, to the matter”.

The Monk smiled amicably. “I bring a letter from the great Emperor. He wants to know more about the Eastern Christians. The Monk lowered his voice. “And about a man called Prester John”.

Varkysh looked up. “Prester John?, who the hell is Prester John?”.

The Monk continued with great patience. These men might be Christians but they were nonetheless steppe people. “He is a great King that will come to the aid of Christianity with a large army to help out against the Moslems” said the Monk while gladly accepting a cup filled with hot wine, spiced with honey and some strange spices he had never tasted before.

Varkysh laughed. “Well if that is the case I should have seen him around. We Nestorians could need his help too now that the Mongols are closing in on us all the time.

The Monk was taken back by this sarcastic comment. Was the man joking or was he a heathen after all. You couldn’t expect these rough men living in snow and cold to be much civilised after all. Prester John was of vital importance for Christianity and he simply had to be found. Suddenly he noticed a black cross-tattooed on the hand of Varkysh. The Monk hesitated. “But you are a Christian?”

Varkysh face turned red with anger. “Yes I am” he said sternly. My people come from a group of the Turkic tribe called 'Sakiz Oghuz' or the Eight Oghuz. We came here in 8th century and rooted our Christian brothers, the Keraits from their homeland driving them towards Manchuria where they still live. First we were Buddhist but then one day Jesus showed one of his personalities (the Nestorians believed Jesus had two personalities) here and helped a Naiman king that was lost in the mountains. The king then promised to convert and now we all have adopted Nestorian Christianity.

'”Why do you not have the Cross and the image of Jesus in your tent then?” the Monk replied:

Varkysh smiled. “That is not our custom, we don’t use images”.

The Monk frowned. Heretics. Yeah, he knew much of their peculiar ways not believing in Holy Mary and praying eight times a day. “Well judging by what I have been told you run a mighty empire here” said the Monk still firmly believing he had found Prester John even though John obviously needed some preaching to become respectable. He licked his lips. Bringing news of a Christian kingdom in the east to the Roman Emperor would earn him a lot of gold not to mention the fact that he would go down in history as the man who found Prester John. “You could attack the Moslems in the rear, couldn’t you” he shouted in exaltation.

Varkysh sighed. The Monk evidently didn’t know much about military matters. “You don’t know much about the situation here, that’s obvious. Sure we are quite powerful if you compare with neighbours like the pagan Kyrgiz or the pagan Oirats. However there is a great threat to the east. A threat that might bring our downfall and the demise of your civilization too!”

The Monk almost laughed, what kind of threat could you find here in the desolated steppes among shepherds and low life? “And what threat is that?” he said with a smile on his face.

“The Mongol tribe, the Mongols” said Varkysh with terror in his voice. “They are already threatening out brothers, the Christian Nestorians Keraits in the east and they are dedicated. Soon they will be stronger than your emperor too if they keep at it. You know we Naimans see Mongols as poor, smelly and fierce while they think we are untrustworthy, lazy, and unwarlike. We are different but nonetheless they are warriors and we are not”.

The Monk sneered. “You think some horsemen could threaten the great Roman Emperor and the Roman army?” He covered a laugh in a cough attack. These wild men sure hadn’t seen much of the world.

The King didn’t answer, he just smiled at the - in his opinion - ignorant monk.

The Monk felt that he had to say something to loosen up the dense atmosphere. “If you say so. I guess I will stay on for a while, taking notes and learn more of your civilisation sire”.

“By all means, do so. I have information that the Mongols have begun their usual ravage campaigns and I have to prepare my people. You might learn something from that. However forget about any campaigns to relief Christianity. We will have to defend our common God and his churches right here. My army is first-class but it will not measure up to that of the Mongols”.

When the Monk stepped out from the tent the harsh cold wind outside swept through his clothes and battered his skin. The King had “entertained him” with stories of the Mongols and their behaviour. He shivered at the sheer thought of meeting with these monsters to men. On the bright side he had found some Christians in this desolated area at least. That was a very encouraging discovery indeed, even if they were heretics. Jesus having two personalities? Rubbish. No wonder that the Patriarch had exiled the madman Nestorious into the desert. Well probably such fairytales had been helpful while converting these primitive tribes. You can´t be fussy up here he thought . At least they believe in God and Jesus, that’s always something.

The King sat by his fire alone. Could the Roman Empire help him? The Monk had told him of Manzikert and the battles in the Holy land. Didn’t seem likely that the Roman army could help the Naimans. Ah the holy land. To see that land before he died, what a blessing it would have been. Now he had other priorities. His scouts were bringing him ominous reports all the time of Mongol victories in the east. He went back to the bed where his beautiful wife was sound asleep. He would protect his people and God´s churches. Of that he was sure.

GAME INFO

Naimans start out with four provinces, around 12 gold income per province. All provinces are Christian (Nestorian). Turkoman culture in all provinces too. No fortresses and no tax collectors. A treasury with 100 gold is available. Most neighbours are modestly or extremely hostile except for the Keraits (Christian too). No CB shields outside your own territory.

A MAP

Naimans

the Naimans

Sliders

Aristocracy 3
Centralization 2
Innovativeness 3
Mercantilism 3
Offensive 8
Land 9
Quality 7
Serfdom 0

(pretty good war-machine, in fact stronger than the Mongols but low manpower)

Political map

A map and some info on the Christian neighbours - the Keraits

The blue country to the west is Altai (pagan), the land to the North (grey) is Kyrgiz (pagan), the land to the east are the Oirats (pagan) and the dark blue country beside the Oirats are Keirats (only friendly guys around sharing the same faith). The green area beside the Oirats are the Buriats (dark green). The yellow area are the Merkits and the white the Tayici´uts. The field coloured purple are the Mongols and the green next to that are the Tatars.

Below the Mountains you see the Uighurs (red) and the Xi-Xia (orange).

Important events 1150-1170

1150-1160

*The Tatars crushed the Lamuts (far east not on map).
*The Tayici´uts smashed the Buriats, took one province.
*The Oirats took a province from the Kyrgiz and made them vassals.
*The Keirats lost a war against the Oirats, lost one province (wasn’t able to help my Christian brothers since all my money was invested in tax collectors to get census tax).
* Corrupt chancellor event, -75 gold and + 4 % inflation (sigh).
* A total income of 72 gold, expenses 2. gold. Census tax finally at 20 gold after appointing tax collectors.
* Mongols annexed the Tatars.
*Merkits annexed Buriats (the Merkit heathens are becoming quite powerful)
* Mongols in war with Jin Empire, gained one province and 234 gold.

1160-1170

*The Merkits in trouble,attacked by Mongols, Oirats and Tayici´uts at the same time. Annexed by Mongols in 1163.
* 1163, the Uighurs smashed by the Mongols (red field on the map over the white mountains).
*Oirats and Tayici´uts threaten the Naimans, massive Naiman military build up to prevent an attack. 12 000 horsemen stationed in the mountain border province Touva with a lake between the land of the Oirats (eh nice one Amric?).
* The Mongols trash the Oirat and Tayici´ut alliance in 1165 (a stalemate had been better). Tayici´uts down to one province, Oirats no losses of territory (yet).
* Slider change to 9 offensive, giving + 1 in shock (will need that)
* New alliance, Mongols, Oirats and Uighurs (argh, it was bad enough as it was before).
* Inancha Bilgei new king in 1167.
* Mongols at war with Jin Empire in 1167 again, Qara Khitai join Mongol alliance too while Xi-Xia join Jin Empire. Mongol Empire takes 3 provinces from Jin and 212 gold.

Strategy comment

My strategy is to build up my economy (tax collectors in all provinces) and build forts in all provinces. By keeping a large army in Touva my aim is to scare away potential aggressors (this works for now). It cost a lot of money to maintain the army but it is worth it. The army is very strong since I have 0 serfdom (morale bonus), land 9, quality 7 and offensive 9. Add to that a mountain province (Touva) as border to the east with a river along the border too and you might understand why the Oirats haven’t tried anything yet.

Last edited:
Your DP policies are remarkably high morale, far better than almost every country in the standard GC. Is this typical of the MES?

I like your brief history of the first 20 years. Let's hope the Mongols get bogged down in China. Are you vulnerable from the South, too? I heard the MES has some connections between the two corridors but I don't know where they are.

That was a very nice introduction of the monk into the Nestorian society. Good luck as you continue this campaign.