• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, Egypt fell once more to the superior Prussian armies. Unfortunately you didn't annex them, rather letting the Mahdi followers to re-organize to strike back :eek:

“This is part of the ancient city of Thebes,” Colonel Joachim Longanecker explained, “Most of this complex dates to the time of the New Kingdom, which was about three-thousand years ago. Even the newest of these erections is more than two-thousand years old, though it is my understanding that some of it may date back four-thousand years.”

“Incredible!” exclaimed the KronPrinz. His breath was taken by the expanse of older than old artifacts and structures of the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs that existed near Luxor at Karnak.

Luxor.jpg

As they progressed toward the ruined temples, Longanecker, who had visited here on a journey previous even to his induction into the Prussian cavalry – seemingly a lifetime ago! – explained more about what they were seeing. “The pylon, there,” he pointed to an obelisk with a pointed tip, “represents the edge of creation, which is being defended by the two kings, seated on their thrones. That was the primary responsibility of the kings – to protect the creation from the forces which would destroy it.”

“Of course,” Wilhelm said. Naturally, that was the role of any king – to defend their lands from all who would destroy them.

Longanecker was always a wealth of information about history and archaeology. He had traveled the world, first as a student of antiquities, and later as a soldier or agent of the Prussian Crown. Now, the former tutor accompanied the KronPrinz to educate and challenge him.

KronPrinz Wilhelm peered up at a massive sphinx figure, that was nonetheless smaller than some of the others. “I want to be able to leave a legacy like this for my people,” he declared.

Luxor2.jpg

“The Egyptians,” Joachim observed, “spent thousands of years creating this, even with the advantage of available slave labor.”

“Hmm…” Wilhelm seemed to weigh and evaluate the concept. “It was not so long ago the Americans used slave labor for their crops. I am not opposed to slave labor, in principle…” he began to opine – a particular weakness of his.

Longanecker dared to interrupt his younger superior. “Your Highness, slaves – whether in Egypt or in America – have never been treated anything except with brutality. I hardly think…”

“Oh, of course not!” Wilhelm sidestepped, quickly. “I am thinking of something more akin to the native laborers we use on the canal work… And they would, naturally, be well treated.” He took a moment to regain his intellectual balance. “I simply meant that there are some people in this world who are destined to lead and rule – they have the aptitudes for success, and respect of their peers which enables them to accomplish great things.” Beside him, Longanecker considered as Wilhelm went on. “And there are others who are best employed – happiest, even! – working with their hands. They just don’t have the faculties. You know them. They are utterly stupid and incapable. Indeed…”

Longanecker interrupted once more. “Then… Your Highness,” he inserted carefully, “how is it that your Father entrusted a commoner with the responsibility to be your tutor?”

The KronPrinz flushed a little, and remained silent for a bit. “Well, I’m not saying that every commoner is stupid. But you know very well that your average Egyptian… For that matter, even your average German, is not very smart. They’re given to passions, and can control themselves not so much as a savage beast!”

Longanecker smiled as they took a few more paces into the ruins. Just as Wilhelm seemed to return his attention to the broken architecture, feeling his battle was won, Joachim said, “How is Prince Eddy doing, by the way?”

Wilhelm’s first expression was one of amazement that such a non-sequitor should follow. He had not thought of his friend, Prince Eddy, in some time. Then, Wilhelm acquired a suspicious countenance, realizing where this might be leading. It would be wrong to call Eddy, second in line of succession to the throne now held by Queen Victoria, smart. Really, it would be dishonest not to call him dumb!

“The word on the street,” Longanecker mentioned, innocently, “is that he has been institutionalized!” At the KronPrinz’ concerned glance, he added, “Not for insanity… Though that often follows. But for syphilis!”

By his reaction – “Oh, that is very hard… well… not to believe, but… That is very sad. If true.” – Wilhelm chose not to associate the one conversation with the other.

Longanecker chose to follow his companion’s lead, satisfied that the point of his arrow had flown true. “Speaking of medical conditions, how is your Father, the Kaiser, doing?”

Wilhelm’s manner actually brightened! And no wonder. “I am told his prognosis is good. Doctor Gerhard removed the offending tissue. It has cost my father his voice for a while, but already I am told his wound is healing and his voice seems likely to come back. Not completely, of course.”

“Let us just hope the cancer does not come back,” Longanecker punctuated.

“Yes!” the KronPrinz agreed. “Let us hope… And pray.”

Longanecker glanced sideways at his pupil and future Kaiser, but said nothing. Why did he always have to bring his God into things? His own world, he felt, was complete without any such comfort. He had his science, his artifacts, and his force of reason – all he needed to rely upon.

Indeed, he thought in a perplexed moment of self-awareness, it was those "religious" people who he, himself, regarded as stupid and incapable.

Oh I always feel privileged to be the first to read a new update. Great work Renss.

I did laugh at the "ancient erections"..tee hee.

Seems like the tutor is trying to get the Kronprinz to see the world in a different way, I wonder how successful he will be?

Nice.

Interesting twist at the end with Longanecker taking the same position as the KronPrinz regarding who is "stupid" and who is not, eh?

So... just how successful will be dear Joachim in his endevours? We will simply just have to wait and see... and mayhap, pray?

Reactions:
Another great update. Excellent twist at the end. I also like the way you present the characters. In addition the conflict between the religious Wilhelm and the secular/atheist Longanecker was pretty funny. :)

God Save the Kaiser! And give us another update! :D

Reactions:
It seems there is only so much enlightenment thought to go around. Given the time period, it is not surprising.

And good to hear the Kaiser is regaining his health, but we all know that won't last too long. Will it be the illness that does him in, or something much worse?

The poor Kronprinz is not having a very good trip all told. But he is still young. He has rather more rough edges than I expected though.

BBBD said:
Oh I always feel privileged to be the first to read a new update.
And I am privileged to have your comments! :D
BBBD said:
I did laugh at the "ancient erections"..tee hee.
I decided to have a little fun with the language... :rolleyes: Had someone said that back then, it would have seemed perfectly straightforward!

I always enjoy the scenes where worldviews -- new and old -- clash with each other. I managed to fit a number of them in here. With a twist, which I enjoyed, too!

Thanks, folks, for all your comments!

FJ44... Naturally I'd love to see ANYTHING you write, come Christmastime. I enjoy the HOI scenarios, and have recently gotten to dabble in HOI 2 some, but I almost never get over to the HOI boards. When I do get a free half hour, I start reading Draco's volumes and... well, there went all that time! <<snickers>> Prolific you are, Draco!

I'd enjoy seeing an FJ44 Vicky AAR. What country do you figure?

Rensslaer

Sorry, somehow I am not impress with the young KP. Wonder how the story will turn when he ascend to the throne?

Reactions:
Thanks Renss! :D I'm only following your example (poorly, I think, but still following! :p )

Soo, when do we get to see the Prussian Eagle to the intercontinental tango with the Russian Bear? I wanna see the Prussian cavalry ranging over the steppes, eh? :cool:

OOoh, I liked the chat between Longanecker and the Kronzprinz, especially the apparent discussion over whether some are born to lead and some to serve. Our young prince doesn't seem that wise, and it may cost him dearly if his father dies before he can get it out of his system.

Reactions:
KronPrinz Wilhelm gazed out the window. It was thick-paned, the frames painted with several coats of white paint until it could surely never again be opened. And Wilhelm did not seem to care that nothing could be seen through the glass but shifting layers of gently flowing water, fed by a steady English drizzle.

Sharing his mood, Prince George stood beside him, though peering in the other direction. A white-painted door threatened to open. Ominously.

A nurse wheeled Prince Eddy through the door, dressed in an immaculate velvet bathrobe. His head lolled over to one side.

Feigning gaiety, George welcomed him. “Eddy! My fine brother… You are feeling better today, no?” Eddy was drooling, the dribble spilling across a startling black canker that blemished his chin. George spoke more loudly to get his attention, which was given, if dumbly.

“How did this happen?” Wilhelm asked as his blood flushed cold.

“We were in the Caribbean,” George explained. “There are always girls there to entertain the sailors.”

“Violetta,” Eddy said with a silly grin. “She was so pretty.”

“The guys… Everyone knows to get treated. Everyone does! But somehow Eddy either avoided it, or denied that he’d even been with any of the wenches. By the time the doctors realized, even the mercury doses wouldn’t knock it.” He stood behind his elder brother, and put his hand on his shoulder. “He goes through phases where he’s wracked with pain. Thankfully, not now.”

Wilhelm shook his head. In sympathy, of course. But he was also moved to worry about his own few indiscretions. His dalliances with women of the night in Vienna and Paris and Munich. Could this happen to him? He shuddered, and turned back to the window to hide his shock. “Is he dying?”

“I fear so,” confided Eddy’s brother quietly. “And thereby the Crown would be mine, one day. I don’t look forward to that.”

Wilhelm nodded, supposing he understood. “Not to receive it in this manner, in any case.”

Oblivious to the conversation going on over his head, Eddy announced, “I hate them.” Suddenly the fixture of attention for both men, Eddy had adopted a grim, menacing aspect.

Wilhelm was face to face with madness, and he feared it to his core. “Perhaps he should not say that so loud,” he cautioned breathlessly, “what with this ‘Jack the Ripper’ about.”

Grimacing in partial agreement, George added, “He’s not alone. Of the syphilis patients, I understand most feel about the same. These women have torn apart their lives.”

“Jack will take care of them,” Eddy said. Confidently. With a crazy grin.

ss302b.jpg

Nice updates, Rensslaer. Interesting to see Prince Eddy a sympathizing with the Ripper. But dealing with Britain is old news. Bring on the conflict with Russia! :p

Now how exactly do you suggest Eddy actually gets out of the hospital, as I see you are playing up the Eddy/Ripper angle. ;) Maybe he is not the one (as history has suggested he might have been, I believe) but I had an inkling you might go this way. Where it will turn, if anywhere, I'm not sure. But I'm pleased to see it included. Always a fascinating figure, Jack was - grotesque, but fascinating.

Reactions:
coz1 said:
Now how exactly do you suggest Eddy actually gets out of the hospital, as I see you are playing up the Eddy/Ripper angle. ;) Maybe he is not the one (as history has suggested he might have been, I believe) but I had an inkling you might go this way. Where it will turn, if anywhere, I'm not sure. But I'm pleased to see it included. Always a fascinating figure, Jack was - grotesque, but fascinating.
Alas (and unfortunately I would say, as Eddy was interesting to write for!), we are now done with Eddy. He dies within a few years, as occurred historically.

Honestly, until I decided to include Eddy as a character I had no idea about his connection with Jack the Ripper. I ran into that in some basic research.

In looking further, I came to the opinion that he was probably not Jack... but it seems far more likely that Jack was either a colleage/friend and/or that Eddy may even have known that "Jack" was up to his tricks.

A very interesting story, in any case. I figured it rated an honorable (or dishonorable?) mention in the story.

So we are left with George, who is rather more skeptical of the Germans.

Rensslaer

Rens, Congrats on winning the showcase of the week.