• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That, after all, is what AAR writing is all about: playing God. :D

At least he doesn't need a kidney stone removed. If you knew the treatment for it at the time, you would shudder.

nile.jpg

Sobczak and Skiedweza sat their horses side by side at the head of their column of cavalry. There was no particular reason to hurry – especially in the midday heat – so they were enjoying a casual talk as their horses plodded along. The invasion of Egyptian territory was proceeding, and General Schwedt’s cavalry constituted the German right wing, advancing south along the west bank of the Nile.

“Interesting,” Krysz said, “to have such desolation side by side with such beauty.” He indicated either side of the palm-lined dirt road they traveled. One side featured the broad, fertile Nile basin, with its bustle of activity on land and water alike. The other side, seen through a screen of trees and lower vegetation, rose up into arid dunes and plateaus of packed sand.

“And to think,” Sobczak noted, “that it is not much different today than in Moses’ day!”

“Except for us!” Krysz joked.

A commotion from down the line caused Sobczak to turn around, and he was suddenly grateful that he had not yet allowed the men to doff their dark blue wool uniform jackets.

An open carriage with KronPrinz Wilhelm and two other officers was passing alongside – passing slowly, as the road was not without its ruts and rocks. Oddly, not only were all three men dressed in a relatively uncommon white variation of the Prussian officers’ uniform, but they were also standing up in their seats, holding onto the front of the conveyance for balance. The older officer, who they recognized as Wilhelm’s tutor, Longanecker, was pointing out some landmark to the KronPrinz, who looked on with interest toward the Nile.

When the carriage arrived at the lead of the column, Wilhelm called for the driver to slow down. “Kapitan,” he addressed. “Leutnant. How are you, this fine day?”

“Wonderful, Sir. And Your Highness?”

“I am beside myself with joy!” he boasted. “And what is the name of this fine unit?”

Loudly, Sobczak shouted, “We are the Third Squadron of the Second Regiment of General Schwedt’s 1st Kavalleriedivision, Your Highness!”

Raising his voice to carry, the KronPrinz boomed, “Aha! You are part of the most celebrated cavalry division in Prussian history!” The soldiers hooted and cheered – they knew it was true. Few divisions were able to trace an unbroken history dating to the Napoleonic Wars. “On behalf of my Father, the Kaiser, I wish to express our utmost admiration for the work that you do, and for what you are accomplishing against these heathens for the glory of the great German Empire!” Shouts of jubilation rang out from the soldiers of the cavalry, proud to have been so recognized by the heir to the Imperial Throne.

Wilhelm turned his attention back to Sobczak. “And you? What are your names?”

“I am Kapitan Radim Sobczak, Your Highness. And this is my Leutnant, Krysz Skiedweza.”

Longanecker quirked a slight smile of amusement. The twenty-something KronPrinz’ spiked moustache twitched a little as he recognized his chagrin, but he recovered quickly. “Yes, well… Your service to the Reich, fine sirs, is highly valued.” He saluted them, and they returned the salute. “Carry on, then.”

The horses drawing the carriage picked up their pace, and the three men inside sat down as they continued toward their destination. Sobczak and Skiedweza just turned to each other, grinned, and chuckled.

Rensslaer said:
...Sobczak and Skiedweza just turned to each other, grinned, and chuckled.
as always, a jewel to read! excellent! :)

sad to see that our Kaiser won't live thru this war. ;)

A truly integrated army. And Wilhelm seems to be enjoying the ceremony of it all.

Still looking great. We'll have a dead Kaiser momentarily, however.

Great job, as always.

You posted your last update all of 24 hours ago. Let me start the long line of impatient readers by requesting an update. :) Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:
Oh a wonderful little moment. A good lesson for the Kronprinz to learn methinks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree with stnylan, I think dear little Willie needed to get that egg on his face, it might just clear his head of some of hits hardness, eh?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I got a little writing done tonight. But it was a thoroughly distracting day with major bizarre upheavals, etc. So not too much got done.

KaiserFranz, Ghostwriter & FJ44, don't give up on our Dear Kaiser just yet! Or is that Der Kaiser?

Coz, yes he's a bit of a show isn't he? :D Fun to write for, though! And as Stnylan would say, cheers on the kidney stones... Wouldn't want one. Wouldn't want the treatment!

Stnylan and Draco, yes he could do with some humility. And things like this might help him along. I strongly suspect that the real Prince Wilhelm never had this diverse an army to see.

VILenin, Prussiablue, Rey, thank you also for your comments! And thanks to everyone else who reads, even if you don't say hi (though you should)! As gratifying it is to hear from those who've made it through the whole tome, I'd love to also hear from those who are getting it bit by bit.

More to come soon... maybe tomorrow (Sat).

Renss

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

The Third Prusso-Egyptian War, like the second, was rapid and resulted in great territorial accessions by the Prussians, further expanding their control of this vital crossroads between Africa and the Near East. War was declared on January 1st, 1887, and pre-positioned Prussian troops began their invasion.
ss269b.jpg

The two main elements of Prussian cavalry converged along the Nile River Valley, Feldmarschall von Blumenthal coming from the south, and General Schwedt from the north.
ss274b.jpg

General Kőslin assaulted the fortresses of the warlord who called himself “The Mahdi” in his stronghold at Khartoum. And various other forces mopped up to either side of the main advance, more troops being eventually landed in the western desert to advance along the coast. Quickly, the Mahdi’s forces were dispersed and the religious leader himself died in battle.

ss275b.jpg

Heavily outnumbered by highly trained Prussian Army units – most of them cavalry, who could outmaneuver most Egyptian units – soon were chasing the Egyptians all over their country. The Egyptian cavalry proved fragile, and their foot soldiers not fast enough. They were a plaything at the hands of the Prussians.
ss279b.jpg

General Schwedt’s cavalry eventually fought their way through spirited but disorganized Egyptian resistance. Having first defeated Sherif Awad’s forces at Kerieh, Schwedt came to Luxor by the beginning of May – a region which had been Prussian territory before the war, but which had become a refuge for fleeing Egyptian soldiers.

ss282b.jpg

A relatively small but highly motivated force of Egyptian infantry and irregulars had coalesced around a talented, modern leader, General Ali Sharawi, who later came to lead Egypt’s nationalist movement. The fighting was sharp and costly, but Sharawi, in the face of superior, experienced attackers with modern weapons, fell back with the remnants of his army to Aswan, where Schwedt was joined by Blumenthal and Sharawi’s power was broken.
ss284b.jpg

The last act was played out against dispirited resistance in the capital of Cairo amidst the blazing heat of July.

At the very end of that month, Egypt surrendered, accepting severe territorial concessions and agreed to renounce many of their powers of sovereignty, laying the groundwork for the fourth and final war in a few years. The postwar settlement left Prussia in control of most of Egypt and the Levant, with even a small corridor along the Red Sea designated as a protected zone to allow for construction of the final, southern stretch of the Suez Canal.

ss294b.jpg

I can almost feel sorry for the Egyptians, but it is surely their good fortune that they have chosen to be conquered by such an enlightened Prussian Empire ;)

The Egyptians have no chance at all against your empire. Now that you are the protector of the Nile, perhaps it would be a great idea to built up this colony. After all Prussia too need his "crown jewel".

stnylan said:
I can almost feel sorry for the Egyptians, but it is surely their good fortune that they have chosen to be conquered by such an enlightened Prussian Empire ;)
Glad to take England's place, from the real historical timeline!
prussiablue said:
Now that you are the protector of the Nile, perhaps it would be a great idea to built up this colony. After all Prussia too need his "crown jewel".
I wish that were to have happened, but ultimately... Then again, I guess you will see it to some degree, before things would get very, very distracting! :D
BBBD said:
Great work Renss, what is your reasoning behind taking Egypt? I know historically it was very valuable bit in game play terms isn't it a bit of a non-place?
Actually, that is one of the things I've tried to put into my game/AAR that may be quite different from normal games/AARs... I want my characters to be moved by more historical goals and pressures that may not even exist in the game. For instance, the Mahdi... I don't know about VIP, but in straight Vicky there's no Mahdi represented, but when a rebellion showed up in the Khartoum area, and made an impact, I drew historical parallels and tied it in.

Egypt's importance to me in the game is mostly because it was important in real life. It's a cornerstone of Prussia's Africa Policy, which you will see soon. And strategically, the Prussian leaders I've had have valued the vitally short overland passage across the Sinai Desert between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea... And soon to be so, the Suez Canal!

Thanks for reading, folks! I have two updates more or less ready, if not completely written, so I should pick up the pace again soon.

Rensslaer

Jesus, Greece hasn't been doing too well, has it?

Good update. I want more!

Great update!

The natives don't stand a chance against modern armies. Though the Nile diversion is entertaining, I'm more worried about the Bear than a bunch of Egyptian raiding parties. You really need to stop Russia before it's too late. Have fun doing it, though. :)

As regards Der Kaiser, he'll die off, perhaps not until you go after Russia, but his death is in the near future. I have foreseen it. :)

Again, great work, and I'll leave you with one magic word: Update! :D

Vincent, Greece has suffered greatly at the hands of the Turks as a result of their alliance with Russia. Poor folks. Just wait! It gets worse... Or better, depending on how you look at it.
fj44 said:
As regards Der Kaiser, he'll die off, perhaps not until you go after Russia, but his death is in the near future. I have foreseen it. :)
Hmm... :D Not that you haven't had some hints, but this is far more prescient than you know! ;)

Tick, tock... For Russia, the time is coming. But not yet...

Renss

Yes, Egypt was more the appetizer before the meal. ;) Well done there, though.

Outstanding work Renns! Though I agree, it's about time to chat with the bear. (Or run from it!)

This is still looking great. :) You, sir, are a much better writer than I. I will, however write my first AAR, either of Vicky or HoI2, after exams. I would like you to choose which you would like to see.

Back to the story--

There were far too many smilies and hidden comments in your post for me to glean anything from it. :) Regardless, this AAR is going quite well, and a showdown between the Eagle and the Bear will happen rather soon. In this conflict, Prussia will be victorious against Russian aggression. I hope. :)

One question. Will we see any warming of relations with England? I do not speak of military alliances, but of a strengthening of ties, perhaps a nonaggression pact of sorts. Again great job. It has been a pleasure to read this gigantic piece of literature, and let me express my gratitude for helping me procrastinate when I should be studying. :D

Now update! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions: