• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hexes are used in strategic board wargames well before computer games .
Hex-and-counter :
Classic wargame mechanic, played with 'Counters' on a map with an Hexagonal grid allowing to move the counters in more directions (6) as opposed to a square grid with only four directions.
//Counters are commonly thick cardboard chit, with printed attributes and identification//
Zones of Control also have been featured in board wargames before computer games

Hexes are used in strategic board wargames well before computer games .
Hex-and-counter :
Classic wargame mechanic, played with 'Counters' on a map with an Hexagonal grid allowing to move the counters in more directions (6) as opposed to a square grid with only four directions.
//Counters are commonly thick cardboard chit, with printed attributes and identification//
Zones of Control also have been featured in board wargames before computer games

That's true, but this thread is about the interface being similar to Civ5, not about gameplay mechanics like hexes and ZOCs.

This game is not Civ5 and does not try to be, it works perfectly well on it's own merits.

I´m sure thats true. :) And i´m will be happy to buy another 4x TBS Fantasygame, beside Fallen Enchantress (ok, i get this one for free ^^ )

But if you ask me, if it LOOKS like Civ 5 i have to say "Serious question? Really? Ofcourse it looks like Civ 5 in a fantasy ambiente". I don´t say that this is a bad thing. Civ 5 has a very clean and comfortable UI and very good graphics. So, why not...

The game both looks and plays like Civ5. How armies move and do battle is exactly the same, and also how cities defend themselves. I find it ridiculous to claim that his game is not directly inspired by Civ 5 in some regards.

It's like saying Fantasy Wars did not use the combat mechanics from panzer general.

Last edited:
Magog said:
How armies move and do battle is exactly the same

And it was the same in Fantasy Wars & Elven Legacy, so you can say that Civ5 is inspired by these games.

and also how cities defend themselves

How cities defend themselves is a bit different, because (as I saw in the videos) the unit in the city is defending first, and the city itself loses HP only when there are no units inside. In Civ5 the city is losing HP even when a unit is in it, and when it's captured, the unit inside is lost.

So the interface is similar indeed, but the gameplay is not that much similar, when you take into account things that were already in FW/EL.

And it was the same in Fantasy Wars & Elven Legacy, so you can say that Civ5 is inspired by these games.

Not really. The battle mechanics in FW/EL is exactly the same as in the old Panzer General games. Civ 5 combat was inspired by Panzer General as well but Firaxis made their own version of it. For example, ranged units will not auto attack if a melee unit in front of them is attacked. Surprisingly that is exactly how it works in Warlock as well...

How cities defend themselves is a bit different, because (as I saw in the videos) the unit in the city is defending first, and the city itself loses HP only when there are no units inside. In Civ5 the city is losing HP even when a unit is in it, and when it's captured, the unit inside is lost.

So the interface is similar indeed, but the gameplay is not that much similar, when you take into account things that were already in FW/EL.

Cities defending themselves with a ranged attack is so obviously an idea they took from Civ 5. Why even argue?

Don't take me wrong, I love the FW/EL games and have played all the expansions, and I'm really looking forward to W:mota as well. I just don't get why we can't be honest about where InoCo gets their inspiration from. There's nothing wrong at all to be inspired by other games in my opinion.

Magog said:
The battle mechanics in FW/EL is exactly the same as in the old Panzer General games.

I'd rather say Fantasy General. The combat in it is almost identical as in FW/EL, and even the unit classes are the same.

Civ 5 combat was inspired by Panzer General as well but Firaxis made their own version of it. For example, ranged units will not auto attack if a melee unit in front of them is attacked. Surprisingly that is exactly how it works in Warlock as well...

I've seen some XML tags in Civ5 that suggest the defensive ranged support was planned initially...

Cities defending themselves with a ranged attack is so obviously an idea they took from Civ 5. Why even argue?

You're right, I don't know any other game that works this way. I meant that attacking a city works different than in Civ5, but city's ranged attacks are similar (but I've seen that in Warlock some other map structures have the ability to attack enemies as well). So I must admit that some gameplay elements are "inspired" by Civ5 as well, not only interface.

Edit: So it seems it wasn't a problem when they were copying ideas from a less-known game (Fantasy General), but people see the problem when they're copying from a well-known one - Civ5.

Last edited:
I have to say my first thought was (having been familiar with Elven Legacy and Fantasy Wars as well as Civ 5) was that this game was using the Civ 5 engine and not the engine that Elven Legacy/Fantasy Wars uses.

Sorry to say guys but it really does look like you have straight lifted the Civ 5 engine.

I heard the announcement for this game and thought "Oh good a true successor to Master of Magic - cos Elemental sucked." And then i saw the screenies, and literally "OMG!"ed out loud. It actually put me off the game because I am a true CivFanatic and I absolutely despise Civ 5. It is a truly awful game with no chance at redemption.
It was like it was created by someone who sorta knew what Civilization was, and sorta wanted to do something different with it. But didn't know what made Civ so good, so popular. And thus utterly failed at creating a good Civilization game.

To that end I have to say I am very relieved that this game is NOT using the Civ 5 engine; and I do hope that also the game is NOT going to be looking at Civ 5 for ideas.

Thanks Fredrik!

I have to say that my first thought was Civ but then i decided to play a game of Civ this weekend and now i see it is nothing like it, the map looks different and UI is similar but different enough not to be related. After watching the videos of Warlock even the game play is different.

Btw where do I need to point my puppy eyes or cast my charm spells to get a glimpse at Beta :p

I have to say that my first thought was Civ but then i decided to play a game of Civ this weekend and now i see it is nothing like it, the map looks different and UI is similar but different enough not to be related. After watching the videos of Warlock even the game play is different.

Btw where do I need to point my puppy eyes or cast my charm spells to get a glimpse at Beta :p

Use a lesser ritual of the pentagram, then pre-order it on Gamersgate. You'll have the finished game around the 7th or 8th of May. ;)

Except, I can't find it anywhere on Gamersgate.

Looks like they're holding it back from pre-purchase, and just going for release. That makes me wonder whether there's some doubt about if it'll go gold by the 7th, but we'll have to see. Here's hoping.