• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As I wrote earlier in this thread, the true source of inspiration for Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy was Fantasy General. It's a less known game, made by the developers of Panzer General, and using many ideas from Panzer General in a fantasy setting. FW & EL are almost like a remake of FG, much more similar to it than Warlock to Civ5.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia about the unit classes in Fantasy General. Doesn't it sound familiar? ;)

Units are further divided into classes. The classes are Heavy Infantry, Light Infantry, Skirmishers, Cavalry, Light Cavalry, Archers, Bombardiers, Sky Hunters, Siege Engines, and Spell Casters.

Someone says: That looks exactly like Civ5 but with a fantasy theme!!!

I say: Good.

Question is what the owners of said IP thinks though.;)
Have the devs of this game spoken with the owners of the Civ IP?

Question is what the owners of said IP thinks though.;)
Have the devs of this game spoken with the owners of the Civ IP?

And what is Civ IP in your opinion? You think they own the right to depict land mass with a hexagonal grid? You think they own the concept of several men on the same hex combating another hex? You think they can sue someone for making a similar GUI with list of buildable stuff and buttons to press? Not that it was even related, but you think they own the right to Egyptians and Greeks and others?

You need a reality check. Civ IP is pretty much just the name.

Relax mate. Just asking a question. No need to go all ballistic on me.;) As for what the IP consist of, that's an interesting question. Far more than merely the name though, that's for sure. But the game looks like a blue print of Civ5, and that should raise some concerns IMHO. Perhaps they can be discarded. Perhaps they was. I was just asking.

Don't sweat it, we're good.:)

Interesting thread!

I only discovered this game existed half an hour ago when Steam news put it in my RSS feed.
For what it's worth, my first thoughts based upon the screenshots and description were "ooh a turn based game set in the Majesty world using the Elven Legacy engine, nice!"

Someone says: That looks exactly like Civ5 but with a fantasy theme!!!

I say: Good.

Here, here!!!

I made a thread about exactly this, though I babbled about it a whole lot more...

Woo-hoo, I think this is going to be the game I've wanted for years (and was waiting for a Civ mod to do it, but this looks just as good)!

To be honest, when i first noticed this game (saw a lets play of the beta on youtube) I initially thought it was Civ 5, with one of the most popular mod-families from Civ 4 (Fall From Heaven) on top of it ... not thats bad at all since honestly the gameplay in civ V is ... lacking ... yeah lets go with that ...

While fully aware that Civ 5 borrowed a fair bit of Panzer General, and the spiritual ancestor of W:MA appears to be Fantasy General (which for most part was a fantasy rehack of Panzer) it is, nonetheless problematic how similar the games appear to be graphic and UI wise ... while i can see Fantasy wars/Elven Legacy in it, I'm seeing at least as much Civ 5 in it ... It looks more like Civ 5, than Civ 5 looks like the rest of the civilization series if you ask me, and not just because of the use of hex

Last edited:
When you play the game you will see that it is not Civ5. I've played both games in the last days and they are not very similar to me. Warlock is a much faster game but still a good and funny one.

IMHO Warlock may be compared to the various games : Age of Wonders, Elemental from Stardock, CIV5 etc. but its spiritual predecessor certainly is Master of Magic. I do not see (as a patent attorney) the similarities in the legal sense, that would make a real risk of confusion among consumers, and as I understand it in terms of intellectual property this case is clean (Paradox does not work since yesterday). BTW: 1,5 hours for release ? :D
BTW2: I see that many people confuse Fantasy General with Fantasy Wars...

Ehh - have just bought (pre-order) it on Gamersgate ....

Last edited:
Release in 19 hours!!

IMHO Warlock may be compared to the various games : Age of Wonders, Elemental from Stardock, CIV5 etc. but its spiritual predecessor certainly is Master of Magic. I do not see (as a patent attorney) the similarities in the legal sense, that would make a real risk of confusion among consumers, and as I understand it in terms of intellectual property this case is clean (Paradox does not work since yesterday). BTW: 1,5 hours for release ? :D
BTW2: I see that many people confuse Fantasy General with Fantasy Wars...

Ehh - have just bought (pre-order) it on Gamersgate ....