• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the gods are speaking to Pavlos... or at least he thinks they are.

Hopefully the tactics he uses to crush the Dakota don't inspire more Native revolts...
It's a good thing he is ruling a constitutional monarchy, I'd say. :)
Thank you for the update on the Eastern Roman Empire's western colony. (At least that is what the Basileus is calling it.) I see that @Macavity116 has been rabble-rousing and you have properly restrained him (Michigan). If my home (Virginia) revolts, you have major problems. I would wish for the king to be replaced but I fear that the heir may be worse.
He is old, give it a few year and we have a new king to wreak havoc on the kingdom! :D
You can't restrain the Wolverines that easily! :D

At 1000 Infamy they should give you a free World War. Having a reputation like that needs to produce noteworthy results.
1000 infamy turned out to be the limit, I hit it and it immidiately went down to 999.9. :D It did result in China, Japan, Persia, the HRE, Andalucia/Spain, Venice all ganging up on me....and me turning it into a white peace twice and gains twice. :D

• 2Haha
Reactions:
What is Pavlos building that large army for? Surely not just for revolts.

Sorry your current AAR game is bugged. Would be great to hear an AAR on the "Ottos" -- sounds like a really interesting game.

Rensslaer

What is Pavlos building that large army for? Surely not just for revolts.

Sorry your current AAR game is bugged. Would be great to hear an AAR on the "Ottos" -- sounds like a really interesting game.

Rensslaer
To be secure and in power of course. :p

I have no capacity to write another AAR with story, but I could do a quick style AAR with mostly images. I have a few, as I am chronicling the high points on the mod's discord. No high quality promised though.

Reactions:
This is exactly why I've graduated from detailed narrative AARs to gameplay AARs -- they take A LOT less time! :D

Rensslaer

Reactions:
“Good one, Dionysus. I am glad it is you who visits today, not Hades. Tell Father I miss him.”

He closed his eyes. He could hardly believe that the gods spoke to him.

Yeah. Dionysus and I used to talk a lot at one time. During college, and, well, other times...

Has any one not noticed Pavlos' deteriorating condition, or are they too afraid to say something? Or better yet, are they (whoever they are), behind the odd tasting wine?

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
New quick and dirty AAR set in this mod's universe: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...k-and-dirty-basileia-romaion-mod-aar.1648885/

Yeah. Dionysus and I used to talk a lot at one time. During college, and, well, other times...

Has any one not noticed Pavlos' deteriorating condition, or are they too afraid to say something? Or better yet, are they (whoever they are), behind the odd tasting wine?
I believe people notice, but don't dare to interfere. Whether there are people conspiring? Well, who knows...;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I believe people notice, but don't dare to interfere. Whether there are people conspiring? Well, who knows...;)
Don't dare or are encouraging it?

A delusional and drunk leader is a lot of things and "Easy to bypass and manipulate" is high on the list. Plenty of scope for a high ranking civil servant to gain a great deal of power by controlling what Pavlos sees and then creatively 'interpreting' his orders, because honestly Pavlos doesn't seem capable of checking on things even if he wanted to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A delusional and drunk leader is a lot of things and "Easy to bypass and manipulate" is high on the list. Plenty of scope for a high ranking civil servant to gain a great deal of power by controlling what Pavlos sees and then creatively 'interpreting' his orders, because honestly Pavlos doesn't seem capable of checking on things even if he wanted to.

Ala @coz1's King Henry and his "advisors".

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
Don't dare or are encouraging it?

Whatever the reasons, this guy is mentally ill. He has the trait (got it later in life), and he's making life hell for everyone around him...
Work finally slowed down and I finally got caught up! Is Dionysus associated with salvation in Neo-Hellenism like he was in the Orphic and Eleusinian mysteries?
Hah, I know so little about that religion, but let's say that. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XIII New
Pronoia, Elysium

August 17th, 1803

1712767305560.png

“He’s possessed. Demonic. He can’t be trusted to run the country.”

“Hush! It’s treason talk. The walls have ears.”

“I can’t be seen with you guys. He’ll torture me if he finds out.”

“Weaklings! Now is the time to be strong!”

“Easy for you to say, you have powerful connections to aid you.”

“My life is just as much in danger as yours if discovered, but we need to do something!”

The Senate fell silent. The king entered and sat on his throne.

He lifted his hand.

1712767332141.png

1712767323303.png

“Senators. Esteemed nobles! Our country is at risk. Rebellions from the Indians are rampant, although by my grace the Chahiksichahiks uprising as well as the Seminole uprising has been put down.”

He laughed manically for almost a minute.

Dried his mouth.

Spoke without words.

Looked up.

1712767298355.png

“And it is time to institute a better army. No longer should the Elysian military be based on a national militia. I propose – and demand your cooperation in instituting – the enactment of a professional army.”

He drank heavily from his cup.

“I’ll leave you to it. But I need some words with senator Dukakis and senator Gaianus. GUARDS!”

The two were part dragged, part pushed, out of the senate building.

Whispers commenced.

In the corners, secret deals for the toppling of the king were made.

1712767286757.png

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Pavlos has really lost his (mental) head. And now he'll lose his (physical) head too once he's overthrown.

Reactions:
Oh, things are not looking good for Elysium. What a shame that the well-beloved child of a decent father and a brilliant mother is now dangerously mad. It’s not the senators he needs to fear, it’s his new army. What’s to stop them from doing what the Praetorian Guard always did to troublesome, inept, or insane emperors?

Reactions:
Pavlos has really lost his (mental) head. And now he'll lose his (physical) head too once he's overthrown.
Question is, will he lose?
Oh, things are not looking good for Elysium. What a shame that the well-beloved child of a decent father and a brilliant mother is now dangerously mad. It’s not the senators he needs to fear, it’s his new army. What’s to stop them from doing what the Praetorian Guard always did to troublesome, inept, or insane emperors?
Things are only just starting to become troublesome. :D

Reactions:
This new army is a good idea, but it would be so easy to use it to unseat this mad emperor.

What do the Senators plan to do with Elysium after they depose the monarch? Appoint a new one? How would they choose one? Or would they prefer to create a republic?

Actually, does Pavlos have any heirs?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I fear that our beloved king is about to choke on his vomit and feathers from his pillow. Time marches on. Thanks for the update
King's getting old too.
This new army is a good idea, but it would be so easy to use it to unseat this mad emperor.

What do the Senators plan to do with Elysium after they depose the monarch? Appoint a new one? How would they choose one? Or would they prefer to create a republic?

Actually, does Pavlos have any heirs?
That would be revealing, wouldn't it? And who's to say you can't play both sides? New kingdom, new republic, and at the same time play for influence over the king's underage son? Yes, he has an heir. IIRC, he's 10 or so at this point.

Reactions:
“He’s possessed. Demonic. He can’t be trusted to run the country.”

“Hush! It’s treason talk. The walls have ears.”

“I can’t be seen with you guys. He’ll torture me if he finds out.”

“Weaklings! Now is the time to be strong!”

“Easy for you to say, you have powerful connections to aid you.”

“My life is just as much in danger as yours if discovered, but we need to do something!”

The Senate fell silent. The king entered and sat on his throne.

At first I thought this was a schizophrenic Pavlos hearing voices, until you mentioned the Senate :).

• 2Like
Reactions:
At first I thought this was a schizophrenic Pavlos hearing voices, until you mentioned the Senate :).
I hope it was not too confusing!
I was today years old when I learned the endonym for the Pawnee. :D
Imagine me trying to write that down from the screenshot... :D
Just ask Charles I.
Charles I's fate is of course one possible end point, but there is several options...

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: