• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool. Anyway I propose to fill all empty provinces with some barbarian tribes.
There will be countries in North Africa, Russia, Serbia, Frisia, Sicily and the rest of the British Isles in 0.46.

As for the rest of Europe, this has already been mentioned and since then I have not been convinced by anyone to change my opinion:

[...]

1. Historical resources about the tribes are very scarce so I would hardly know how to trace borders or name the countries, and I am not even thinking about monarchs lists.
2. From what I read, the German eastwards expansion or the Russian one rather looks like FTG colonization with ferocious natives.
3. They never founded a state.

[...]

Good to see this project going on, bravo Third Angel!
Thanks Bordic, feel free to conribute if you happen to have some time and to be somewhat knowledgeable about medieval Italy, or any other country.

Just wanted to let my 158 fans know that unforeseen RL events in the last two weeks and a half have prevented me from working on DoK as much as I would have wanted to.

So, sadly, 0.46 will be delayed by two or three weeks. :(

0.46 is finally released, not as complete as I wanted it to be but I have to release something at some point.

See first post for download link and changelog. As always, comments, suggestions and advices are most welcome.

I'm having trouble with the main file, DoK.rar. When I try to extract it I get an error that lightmap.tbl is corrupt and I can't finish the extraction. Also, opening the .rar and browsing around, I don't see the /Scenarios folder at all. Is that right?

Obviously not.

I am very surprised and I think the problem comes from your end because the file has been here for a year and a half now and no one has reported this, while many people have been able to launch the mod.

EDIT: I just tried it myself, downloaded and extracted the file without any problem.

Last edited:
Yes, the third time it did work. I don't know why the first two failed. I suspect my home connection.

Thanks, it is always nice to hear that people enjoy your work, especially from someone who posts once a year. ;)

0.49 is due by mid-december by the way, hopefully including a fourth scenario. At worst, it will be included in 0.5.

@ Third Angel

I would like to contribute in scripting some events about Medieval Italy and of course in connection with other European countries. Since I don't know from where to start, could you tell me which countries lack the most events or what chain of events would you like to be scripted earlier?

Which scenario of the three to start from?

I think a good start could be Sicily, but how to code the Norman conquest? Or Venice? the Papal States, or better, the Pope which should be the focus of this mod, I believe?

Just a final question: I can understand 888 as the split of the Carolingian Empire but why 1291? The end of Crusades?
Which other scenarios are you going to implement from 1031 to 1291? Do 1099 realm of Jerusalem and 1204 sack of Constantinople seem feasible?

Last edited:
I would like to contribute in scripting some events about Medieval Italy and of course in connection with other European countries.
That would be great.

Since I don't know from where to start, could you tell me which countries lack the most events or what chain of events would you like to be scripted earlier?
Well it is really up to you which period or area you are most interested in. That said, the Ottonian interventions in the second half of the tenth century are an important episode that is still missing.

Which scenario of the three to start from?
Ideally events should be compatible with all scenarios. That reminds I never worked on the history sections of the scenarios files, I will do it at some point before 0.5.

I think a good start could be Sicily, but how to code the Norman conquest? Or Venice? the Papal States, or better, the Pope which should be the focus of this mod, I believe?
My intention was to release Apulia from Byzantium as a one-province minor, in 1042 if I remember correctly, and then help the AI with cores and troops to spread into Calabria and Sicily. A player of course would have to start in 1031 as any country and then reload as Apulia ten years later. Not ideal but the Normans did not have any significant holdings yet in 1031.

Venice has no event at all, you are welcome to create a new file if you have any ideas about them.

Up to the middle of the eleventh century, my understanding is that the Popes only had such power as their protectors, be they German kings or Roman aristocrats, allowed them. Certainly the struggle between imperial and local factions around the Holy See could be made into interesting chains of events, possibly including the various anti-Popes as dormant moanrchs.

Just a final question: I can understand 888 as the split of the Carolingian Empire but why 1291? The end of Crusades?
Yes, I could not find any decent earlier end date so I took the easiest, though I am much more interested in tenth and eleventh century. I still think that the Crusades largely defined the European Late Middle-Ages, so it is not that bad.

Which other scenarios are you going to implement from 1031 to 1291? Do 1099 realm of Jerusalem and 1204 sack of Constantinople seem feasible?
The next step is 1102, once the four Crusader states are already in place. The next and last was going to be 1175 at the highest of the so-called Angevin empire but now I am unsure I will ever find the motivation. 1204, like I said, is way too late to really inspire me.

That would be great.
Ok.

Well it is really up to you which period or area you are most interested in. That said, the Ottonian interventions in the second half of the tenth century are an important episode that is still missing.
I will try to get some info from my books in order to get a proper sequence. As for now I have to see which events are already made and how they affect each other.

My intention was to release Apulia from Byzantium as a one-province minor, in 1042 if I remember correctly, and then help the AI with cores and troops to spread into Calabria and Sicily. A player of course would have to start in 1031 as any country and then reload as Apulia ten years later. Not ideal but the Normans did not have any significant holdings yet in 1031.
That said, is it certain that the Vikings settle in Normandy in a due date? I seem to have seen some events about it in Neustria files.
I think you have already understand that I would like to focus on Sicily because of Frederick II...
Venice has no event at all, you are welcome to create a new file if you have any ideas about them.
What about starting with Norwich's book as source of information? ;-)

Yes, I could not find any decent earlier end date so I took the easiest, though I am much more interested in tenth and eleventh century. I still think that the Crusades largely defined the European Late Middle-Ages, so it is not that bad.

The next step is 1102, once the four Crusader states are already in place. The next and last was going to be 1175 at the highest of the so-called Angevin empire but now I am unsure I will ever find the motivation. 1204, like I said, is way too late to really inspire me.
Well, I know a little better the Italian situation in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries because of Frederick II. I guess how I could script the part with Barbarossa and the Lombard League...

That's why I thought to be focused more on events occurring in the second part of the game.

And I had previously thought of 1348 as (really) end date of this mod. ;-)

Last edited:
I will try to get some info from my books in order to get a proper sequence. As for now I have to see which events are already made and how they affect each other.
I do not remember any event for Ottonian Germany related to Italy.

That said, is it certain that the Vikings settle in Normandy in a due date? I seem to have seen some events about it in Neustria files.
Now you are confusing me, you mean Apulia right. They settled over the years, in Apulia as in Normandy, but I do not feel we can give them a tag until 1041/2.

What about starting with Norwich's book as source of information? ;-)
Did not know about him, is he a historian?

Well, I know a little better the Italian situation in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries because of Frederick II. I guess how I could script the part with Barbarossa and the Lombard League...
Of course, if you need any tag, like for Sicily, please ask here before because some are already granted in my work on 0.49.

And I had previously thought of 1348 as (really) end date of this mod. ;-)
Is that about the Black Plague, why not? Like I said I am not really settled about this.

I do not remember any event for Ottonian Germany related to Italy.
Ok.

Now you are confusing me, you mean Apulia right. They settled over the years, in Apulia as in Normandy, but I do not feel we can give them a tag until 1041/2.
My concern was about the risk Vikings don't get to Normandy when AI driven but looking at the events already provided I have seen they are granted Normandy by event. So there's no problem to solve.

Did not know about him, is he a historian?
Here is book about Venice:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Ven...3834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322586299&sr=8-1

English speaking people seem to have read this book when scripting large parts of agceep Venice events.

About Italian events if someone understands Italian here is a good site with detailed descriptions of historical facts:

http://cronologia.leonardo.it/2001cron.htm

Of course, if you need any tag, like for Sicily, please ask here before because some are already granted in my work on 0.49.
Ok, But you know, I still have to make plans about which events to do first and figure possible alternative paths.

Is that about the Black Plague, why not? Like I said I am not really settled about this.
It was just my personal comment as no mod covers this time span between 1291 and 1337. 1348 could have been a good end date but I also agree with your decisions in ending the mod with the Crusades.

Last edited: