• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks. :)

I did a few runs with the Romanoi until around early 900's (I wrote 1000 for some reason, must sleep more...) and so far everything seems peachy. (even though it's still a bit annoying having to trade maps with many nations in the east. I don't like playing hands-off, what can I say.).
I think the known provinces for BYZ are fine now. If you think that their knowledge should extend further east, please feel free to make a concrete suggestion.

These days I'll do some minor modifications for the scenario (culture and core-wise mostly) then I'll try a full campaign and see what happens.
Same here, I'd like to know about them. Like I said to the poster above, Byzantium is not my main centre of interest but I would be glad to implement proposals for monarchs, leaders, events, historical setup for provinces and cores...

Hopefully, new patches will be swift and deadly in their content:) (please, at least let northern Germany and Lithuania have some tribes present instead of empty provinces)
I cannot promise anything about swiftness but for the moment I will not make countries in these areas because:
1. Historical resources about the tribes are very scarce so I would hardly know how to trace borders or name the countries, and I am not even thinking about monarchs lists.
2. From what I read, the German eastwards expansion rather looks like FTG colonization with ferocious natives.
3. They never founded a state.

Granted the last two do not apply to Lithuania, I am still undecided about that though right now I am rather leaning towards adding a country there only in later scenarios.

Look forward to trying this when it hits 1.00 :)
Do not hold your breath, this should take a looong time. Some countries are already playable, the ones selected by default at scenario start and others too. Check out the size of the events files to see which ones have more events.

In speaking about the BYZ provinces I actually meant exchanging Byzantine maps with Egypt then Baghdad then the Caucasus (Khazaria included) and the persian area so that these countries could interact with each other.(I didn't want to modify the files at this time). Yet, now that you mention it, BYZ should know about Arabia and Khazaria (Sarkel was built with imperial assistance and workers, etc.) if not a bit of Persia as well.

My modifications so far were giving Byz cores on the Bulgarian homeland - basically the same cores that Bulgaria itself has and claims on the shores of the Adriatic (plus modern Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia), plus cores on Crete and Cyprus. (so I wouldn't have to make events for them) I also gave them south slavic culture, which should really be looked at in the Carpathian area in a future release, because the Vlachs need to exist somewhere too:) (at least along the Danube and a bit further into the mountains, but that's a debate for later, I understand the project is challenging and time consuming enough as it is). After I finish the full campaign (so far into the 930's and looks real nice), I'll post a list of proposed changes.

Lastly, the mod itself is one of the best I've seen and I'm looking forward to its use as an extra tool for alternative history prose. :)

In speaking about the BYZ provinces I actually meant exchanging Byzantine maps with Egypt then Baghdad then the Caucasus (Khazaria included) and the persian area so that these countries could interact with each other.(I didn't want to modify the files at this time).
Yes, Asian countries have no known provinces yet, except for India.

Yet, now that you mention it, BYZ should know about Arabia and Khazaria (Sarkel was built with imperial assistance and workers, etc.) if not a bit of Persia as well.
I'll look into it.

My modifications so far were giving Byz cores on the Bulgarian homeland - basically the same cores that Bulgaria itself has and claims on the shores of the Adriatic (plus modern Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia), plus cores on Crete and Cyprus. (so I wouldn't have to make events for them)
For the byzantine reconquest of the tenth, early eleventh century, my plan for future patches is to use the system they have in the AGCEEP for Ottoman expansion: cores are given by events at the beginning of the monarch's reign during which they were actually conquered.

I also gave them south slavic culture, which should really be looked at in the Carpathian area in a future release, because the Vlachs need to exist somewhere too:) (at least along the Danube and a bit further into the mountains, but that's a debate for later, I understand the project is challenging and time consuming enough as it is).
Yes, they should probably have south slavic culture. Keep in mind that, so far the culture setup for Eastern Europe is really just a placeholder until I have the time to look further into it. You are probably right about Vlachs but it is hard to get reliable information about them in this era.

After I finish the full campaign (so far into the 930's and looks real nice), I'll post a list of proposed changes.
Good. :)

A quick question: How can I enable random events? Even if some have no sense during this period, I need the occasional random casus belli and rebels to spice things up a bit.

Also, this was most certainly a simple coincidence, but the AI actually showed signs of intelligence so far. Egypt, my biggest threat by far, guaranteed Bulgaria, then allied itself with Kairouan (why aren't they called Aghlabids?) and Rus (!) against me before starting a devastating round of wars. (I had taken the Cilician gates).

A quick question: How can I enable random events? Even if some have no sense during this period, I need the occasional random casus belli and rebels to spice things up a bit.
For now there are no random events. I wanted to adapt the vanilla ones to my time period, removing the ones that would not make sense and modifying those that could. I could never find the time to do it properly.

Also, this was most certainly a simple coincidence, but the AI actually showed signs of intelligence so far. Egypt, my biggest threat by far, guaranteed Bulgaria, then allied itself with Kairouan (why aren't they called Aghlabids?) and Rus (!) against me before starting a devastating round of wars. (I had taken the Cilician gates).
The credit for a good AI should go to MichaelM.

As promised, here is the extent of my work with the 1031 scenario:

europe1031.jpg

europe962.jpg
europe962.jpg

Here is the latest update for my 962 scenario, still having some trouble with Wales, Norway, Serbia and Rus as you can see. I will include a first version of it, Europe only, in 0.45 which I intend to release next Tuesday.

After that, we will see how things go because the general lack of activity in this forum and more particularly in this thread, despite 106 downloads for 0.44, are slowly discouraging me. And, I have bought a new game which looks pretty time-consuming, so we shall see.

If you note more than one hundred downloads, that means the mod has his followers. As for me, I would not comment much, for two reasons: bugs I'm going to notice are certainly obvious and you have certainly noticed them as well, and planned to correct them (as an example, three or four countries don't display correctly in the list of countries on the game start board). After that, I have small, quite scholar knowledge about the time frame, so that I would not dare commenting the gameplay, which seems very good so far. As Vandervecken already stated, AI seems good and aggressive, so that player is not going to be on holidays. BTW, I would like you to modify the technologies.csv file in localization/english, for better flavor ^_^

Thanks for your support, I am certainly not abandoning this, just warning people that updates may slow down in the next few months.

About your issues, countries not properly displayed in the list are the ones that do not have shields yet. Technologies should certainly be re-named, so should the buildings, hopefully this will make it in 0.46.

One day late, but 0.45 is finally released, see first post for download link and changelog. As always, comments, suggestions and advices are most welcome. ;)

downloader it, it works, very nice

love the map although shading is slightly too dark for my taste. but a nice map........could even be used for AGCEEP

Will you take further splits in Italy or is this it.
I mean like
Berengar of Friuli (c. 845 – 7 April 924 ) was the Margrave of Friuli ( 874 - 915 )

downloader it, it works, very nice

love the map although shading is slightly too dark for my taste. but a nice map........could even be used for AGCEEP
Without America and South Africa, it would be strange to play the colonial powers, don't you think?

Will you take further splits in Italy or is this it.
I mean like
Berengar of Friuli (c. 845 – 7 April 924 ) was the Margrave of Friuli ( 874 - 915 )
Friuli exists as a revolter meant to be released should Guido of Spoleto, Louis III of Provence or Rudolf of Burgundy take Pavia and form Italy.

Thanks for your support, I am certainly not abandoning this, just warning people that updates may slow down in the next few months.
Good! In the instructions of post 1 you say FTG 1.1. patch is needed. Shouldn't be 1.2 at least as we now are even waiting for 1.3?

Another thing I have seen through these pages about Calabria.

Well the Romans called this part of Apulia in this way as nowadays actual Calabria was called "Bruttium" by them.

"Salento" would be appropriate for this time span imo.

Good! In the instructions of post 1 you say FTG 1.1. patch is needed. Shouldn't be 1.2 at least as we now are even waiting for 1.3?
Well, of course it is certainly better to play with 1.2, but I let 1.1 required because the structure of the folders for the colorscales was changed between 1.0 and 1.1, so if you use 1.0 the colorscales will not work properly.

Another thing I have seen through these pages about Calabria.

Well the Romans called this part of Apulia in this way as nowadays actual Calabria was called "Bruttium" by them.

"Salento" would be appropriate for this time span imo.
Do you mean "Salento" for the current "Brutium" or "Calabria"? Anyway, cool-toxic made the map, he is now busy with another project and I do not have the skills to modify it.

Do you mean "Salento" for the current "Brutium" or "Calabria"? Anyway, cool-toxic made the map, he is now busy with another project and I do not have the skills to modify it.
I meant Salento for current Calabria and no problem for the map as it is "the dawn" of Kingdoms anyway. ;)

Hi, thanks for your support and, of course, help is always welcome, though I have to warn you that I am now committed to another project so I will not be able to work on this for the next couple of months.

Well, the other project did not turn out so well so I am back to work on DoK. I hope to release 0.46 in late May, early june at the latest. Working on lacking or unfinished monarchs lists and completing the 1031 scenario for Europe right now.