• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the links but it appears that the horse is at least as much anachronistic as the black and yellow stripes. I'll think about it though.

Anyway, patch 0.43 has finally been released, all reported bugs are fixed and I'm waiting to hear from you all again. See first post for download link.

Ok, so I'm back from vacations with a new computer after my old one suffered a sudden death in June. I have also been able to recover my files from the damaged hard drive so I am now able to resume work on DoK. Still, I have had 171 downloads for 0.43 during the last four months and not a single bug report which is rather encouraging, or discouraging depending on one's view of the world, and I am generally a pessimistic person.

Luckily, I have found three AARs using Dawn of Kingdoms, about Cordoba, Wessex and Aquitaine. Two of them I cannot read, and only the Cordoban one really got past the introductory stage but I will take it as a good sign that people are interested in the era and that the mod setup is not too ugly to look at. Also the French guy should really have waited for 0.44 to play Aquitaine and even then he would have to start with Auvergne to play it the historical way.

Anyway, I'm back to work and 0.44 is planned for late September or early October. In the meanwhile, bug reports and suggestions are still welcome. :)

That should be defined in Db\Religions\religions_special.txt.

Got this while loading mod. :)

Critical error!
Assertion failed: Error in DB: no default Emperor
Do you want to continue?
I am surprised by your report since this was fixed in 0.41, are you using the latest patch?
That should be defined in Db\Religions\religions_special.txt.
Indeed, and the default emperor was and still is absent. But the HRE does not exist as I left the hre section blank in Db\Map\provinces_special.txt.

when will the names of my generals get sorted out?
Sorry but I do not understand your question.

Using 0.42.
Then obviously something has gone wrong with your install. I just checked it and the issue you are describing only occurs with 0.4, not with any of the subsequent patches. So I would recommend a complete reinstall: 0.4 + 0.43.

Yes, most countries do not have leaders files yet. For now, I am focusing on areas I feel a personnal interest for and the Eastern Roman Empire is not one of them.

Please feel free to suggest a list in this thread if you have some possible historical leaders in mind. :)

Thanks for the links though this is not exactly what I had in mind when I said "list". So to make things clearer, there will not be a BYZ leader file in 0.44 unless you provide me with one before its release. Even using Wikipedia, it would still take me some time to make it myself and I would rather use my time on other areas.

I am working on this on my own for now but that does not mean that help is unwelcome. 0.44 is scheduled for October 12 at the latest by the way. :)

O.44 has been uploaded, see first post for changelog and download link. It's not as complete as I hoped it to be, the hungarian migration towards Hungary and the fall of Greater Moravia for instance are not included, it will be for 0.45. :)

Again, comments, bug reports and suggestions are welcome. I would especially like to hear about flawed events sequences. Knowing that 0.43 has been downloaded 263 times, I am a little bit surprised to not hear more feedback.

Last edited:
Hello :)

I would like to help with gfx, if you can tell me what you need, and can provide some pics for it.

Glad to see this game is still alive.

Thanks for your offer, I have seen some of your work here and it looks good, these could be used for city sprites I think, tough I have no idea how to convert them.

I could probably use city views too, and new buildings although I am still undecided on how I should rename the three kinds of buildings and modify their effects. I am quite short on time these days, hence why I did not respond earlier, but I will try to think about it.

As a small update, here is a screenshot of a second scenario starting in 962, hopefully to be included in 0.45.

I am also working on a 1031 scenario, I'll try to post a screenshot of it in a couple of days when it's more complete.

I did a few runs with the Romanoi until around early 900's (I wrote 1000 for some reason, must sleep more...) and so far everything seems peachy. (even though it's still a bit annoying having to trade maps with many nations in the east. I don't like playing hands-off, what can I say.). These days I'll do some minor modifications for the scenario (culture and core-wise mostly) then I'll try a full campaign and see what happens.

Hopefully, new patches will be swift and deadly in their content:) (please, at least let northern Germany and Lithuania have some tribes present instead of empty provinces)

Last edited: