• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, if you do not have WoL (or have it turned off), NPC's will not have any more access to it's features than you do.
But if I understood correctly, the worst, most noticeable problems (such as the pope's children being considered antipopes) are caused (or made worse) by the overplayed seduction focus?

But if I understood correctly, the worst, most noticeable problems (such as the pope's children being considered antipopes) are caused (or made worse) by the overplayed seduction focus?

That is the general consensus, yes. So if you don't get or turn off WoL then npcs will no longer go mad with lust and try and shtup everyone within range.

Me, I just use the Stop the orgy please and Popefix mods but I know some don't much care for such a solution, which is fair enough.

EDIT: It should be clear that the seduction problems are not a bug in the focus exactly. The mechanics work fine, it's just that npcs seem to like taking it and go a bit nutty. So it's a balance issue more than anything in that regard.

The child-antipope issue IS a bug but has been in the game long before WoL. It is just that seduction exacerbates it by making it more likely that Popes will have children (and more of them as well).

Yeah, that's how I had understood it. I guess I'm slightly better off without WoL for now, until they fix the worst imbalances and bugs. Although I'll still buy it when eventually it goes for a good discount price. Thanks for the answers.

How about this one:
Another question, last time I played (shortly after Charlemagne was released and the worst bugs coming with it were fixed), the troop balance was way off, archers and light infantry were overpowered, and heavy cavalry was underpowered. I made some minor modifications to rebalance the troop types. Have there been any updates addressing the balance, or are modifications still... well, not exactly "necessary", but a good idea anyway?

Thanks for replying to my last question. But now I have another one.

Every tech point except military, seems like useful for counties with buildings. I don't know where to spend tech points if I am tribal. I want to adopt Feudalism but I am so behind to achieve that. Can you guys tell me where to spend my tech points in Economy and Cultural Advances?

Wrong Government Type - Tribal Ruler vs feudal vassals

I'm playing as a tribal leader. I have vassals who originally belonged to a feudal lord. I decided to keep those counties for myself because I get more heavy infantry from castles. In the beginning these vassals hade the relations modifier "wrong government type" and had -30 or something relations to me. And I guess I probably received 75%, or something, less taxes from them. I have since then defended my land from invaders and revolting chiefs and managed to become exalted by many. These vassals have now a 80 or 100 relations towards me and don't have the "wrong government type" modifier anymore. Does that mean that I get all the taxes from them or do they automaticaly still pay me less because I'm a tribal high chief and not a feudal lord?

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked earlier, but I couldn't find any links to anything when searching the web.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying to my last question. But now I have another one.

Every tech point except military, seems like useful for counties with buildings. I don't know where to spend tech points if I am tribal. I want to adopt Feudalism but I am so behind to achieve that. Can you guys tell me where to spend my tech points in Economy and Cultural Advances?

Economy, get construction, castle infrastructure, and improved keeps going asap. Spam castle towns for extra money. You can mostly ignore the rest, or only spend tech points on it if it is almost free (from being partially filled already, from various factors).

Cultural, go for legalism and majesty. The rest can be filled at your leisure or is situational. If you are a catholic, ruling other catholics for example, you can pretty much completely ignore tolerance.

Military is actually in my opinion the most valuable group. Military organization is very important for extra retinue's which save's other troops and tons of money in the long haul. Siege equipment is about the same way. You can literally save decades of time being at war over the course of a game by staying on top of that.

Last edited:
Economy, get construction, castle infrastructure, and improved keeps going asap. Spam castle towns for extra money. You can mostly ignore the rest, or only spend tech points on it if it is almost free (from being partially filled already, from various factors).

Cultural, go for legalism and majesty. The rest can be filled at your leisure or is situational. If you are a catholic, ruling other catholics for example, you can pretty much completely ignore tolerance.

Military is actually in my opinion the most valuable group. Military organization is very important for extra retinue's which save's other troops and tons of money in the long haul. Siege equipment is about the same way. You can literally save decades of time being at war over the course of a game by staying on top of that.

Thanks for the tips.
About economy, does construction reduce time/cost for prestige buildings too?
About military, should I not invest in Light Infantry and such? My levies are about 80% light infantry.

Just wanted to make sure of this before I made a bug report, but anyone else having problems with Cloud saves? I've saved several games to "the cloud" but none of them show up at all ever? Yes, I'm using a mod (but it is the exact same mod on both computers) and I'm also using the same DLC settings as well so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem?

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem?

Post in Tech Support.
Read about before. Forgot. Probably many potential reasons. More info probably helpful. ;)

Thanks for the tips.
About economy, does construction reduce time/cost for prestige buildings too?
About military, should I not invest in Light Infantry and such? My levies are about 80% light infantry.

I am unsure about prestige buildings.

If you have mostly light infantry I would say invest in that more than cavalry or heavy for sure. You can mouse over it and it'll tell you exactly what each tech does. I think the military techs mostly makes them more efficient, maybe slightly buffs their numbers iirc, for light, heavy, and cavalry.

What happens if you're tribal and gain control of baronies/cities? Would you switch automatically to feudal/Republic or just keep hold of them? Would you have a wrong holding type penalty?

I've just switched my tribal Empire of Scandinavia in a Merchant Republic Empire of Scandinavia (about 95% of de jure Scandinavian counties) and my army was absolutely decimated with garrisons of about 150 troops or so in most counties in the entire Empire, and only one city that exists (my capital). My army has gone from nearly 10k to 2k. Probably a mistake I think.

Its Ironman so can't undo it but next time I think I'd ensure my whole demesne was ready to switch at least, but wondering if it would be possible to Holy War and gain a single Duchy while tribal (maybe York/Jorvik like the vikings did historically), then give away everything but the cities and then switch over to being a Republic?

Alliance mechanic question. Is it simply the case that all close relatives of each spouse are allied? I thought this was the case (see wiki "As long as a member of your immediate family (your children, grandchildren, siblings, grandparents, and parents) is married to a member of their immediate family, the alliance persists.")

However, while my brother's wife's father and I are allied, her brother and I are not (father and son are independently landed). The degree of closeness is the same, so why do I get an alliance up one generation, but not within the same generation? Or do alliances simply disappear from your list if you're currently at war with them? (I'm supporting the father against another of his dynasts while his son is supporting that cousin, so he and I are at war.)

Are there currently unobtainable achievements? I can't get plenty of Charlemagne and WoL ones even though I'm fulfilling conditions listed in the wiki perfectly. For example building observatory is a simple decision but it doesn't trigger the achievement for me for quite some time already.

Are there currently unobtainable achievements? I can't get plenty of Charlemagne and WoL ones even though I'm fulfilling conditions listed in the wiki perfectly. For example building observatory is a simple decision but it doesn't trigger the achievement for me for quite some time already.
I received the observatory one yesterday so was working for me.