• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, this should eventually work, since the next king will be converting to Orthodox as soon as he accumulates 250 piety. That will take quite a while, so I can certainly get the religious revocation law passed while we wait.

Thanks!
In that case: convert to Orthodox; convert everyone except your target bishop to Orthodox; then religiously revoke his two titles. You really do not need -50 opinion from every landed vassal in your realm...

Reactions:
Good point.

New question - court chaplain abuses his office (Greedy trait), has a lot of money as a result, and I successfully imprisoned him. Is there any way to get his money? I can ransom for 25g of his 248g (a lot of money this early in the game!). I thought banishment would work, but it seems to remove the money from the game - none of the banished ex-bishop, his instantly spawned replacement, or myself get the money. And it's -20 tyranny. Killing him shifts the money to the instantly spawned replacement bishop.

I guess this works differently for feudal and/or Catholic than for Suomenusko tribal? One of the many interesting money-making tricks Sanvone demonstrates in Siberian Prosperity is having corrupt councilors to imprison and banish.

Ideally, your councillors are unlanded. In this case, when the event occurs and they are instantly imprisoned, you can instantly banish them and take their money. (Banishing unlanded characters doesn't incur tyranny.)

Alternatively, I think that if you choose *not* to imprison them then you get a revocation reason. And, since they're your court chaplain, they probably only have one title. So: don't imprison, buy a favor, revoke, invite with favor, plot-murder. (This obviously won't work on characters who have multiple titles, eg. any sizeable feudal vassal.)

I'm struggling to think of an achievement-compatible way to get their money if you already chose the instant imprisonment option on a landed character. (Because you won't have an imprisonment/revocation reason after you release them, and because you probably don't have a revocation reason since you used your reason to imprison them.) (Honestly, I feel like the instant imprisonment option in this event is less about regaining your money and more about allowing you to curb powerful vassals.) But I'll think on it.

Reactions:
I'm struggling to think of an achievement-compatible way to get their money if you already chose the instant imprisonment option on a landed character. (Because you won't have an imprisonment/revocation reason after you release them, and because you probably don't have a revocation reason since you used your reason to imprison them.) (Honestly, I feel like the instant imprisonment option in this event is less about regaining your money and more about allowing you to curb powerful vassals.) But I'll think on it.
Got it: Conversion! When theocrats convert, they are kicked out and become unlanded the next day. And theocrats normally have no relatives, so if you kill them in your court then you get all their money (and items).

So:
  • Release from prison
  • Buy favor
  • Convert to another religion (preferably one which supports your current succession law)
  • Demand that he converts
  • Wait until he accepts
  • Wait until he becomes unlanded (next day, usually)
  • Convert back
  • Invite with favor
  • Plot-murder
Technically, this is a way to steal the money from any lowborn theocrat in your realm. (Except a head of religion.) The only downside is the cost of 500 piety or 500-1000 prestige, but that's probably worthwhile for mid- and late-game theocrats, who can easily amass thousands. Sometimes I think this game has too many exploits...

Last edited:
I've been playing as the dukes of West-Frisia (now also king of Frisia and Poland), and got elected emperor. I've never really played in the HRE, so 2 questions:

1. Will my retinues be transferred to the new HRE emperor, or will I keep them as king of Frisia/Poland (I'm inclined to say that I'll keep them, since the previous emperor's heir currently has 4 counties and 4000 retinues)?
  2. On succession, will my previous vassals who were not my de jure vassals continue to be my vassals, or will they become independent?
Also, when my unlanded second son (or my brother, I can't remember) got the succession for a brief while, the game claimed that he would get not only the HRE, but also the duchy of West-Frisia and a county. Am I correct in assuming this is because the HREmperor has to be landed and at least a duke prior to becoming HREmperor?

Will my retinues be transferred to the new HRE emperor, or will I keep them as king of Frisia/Poland (I'm inclined to say that I'll keep them, since the previous emperor's heir currently has 4 counties and 4000 retinues)?
yes, you keep them.
On succession, will my previous vassals who were not my de jure vassals continue to be my vassals, or will they become independent?
no, they become part of the independent HRE
Also, when my unlanded second son (or my brother, I can't remember) got the succession for a brief while, the game claimed that he would get not only the HRE, but also the duchy of West-Frisia and a county. Am I correct in assuming this is because the HREmperor has to be landed and at least a duke prior to becoming HREmperor?
your succession should follow HRE succession so long as the next emperor is part of your dynasty. Likely it was notifying you that you would lose your non-elective titles.

Reactions:
I've been playing as the dukes of West-Frisia (now also king of Frisia and Poland), and got elected emperor. I've never really played in the HRE, so 2 questions:

1. Will my retinues be transferred to the new HRE emperor, or will I keep them as king of Frisia/Poland (I'm inclined to say that I'll keep them, since the previous emperor's heir currently has 4 counties and 4000 retinues)?
  2. On succession, will my previous vassals who were not my de jure vassals continue to be my vassals, or will they become independent?
1. Unless you choose to play as a crusade beneficiary, you always keep your retinues on succession.

2. When you became emperor, the de facto structure of the empire was reorganised appropriately. If you left-click on the shield of the HRE and make sure the de jure tickbox is NOT ticked, that shows you the current de facto structure of the empire. Anyone who is a direct de facto vassal of the HRE will be lost if you lose the empire - you will only keep those who are de facto vassals of Frisia or Poland.

3. Yes, if an unlanded character is chosen as the next HREmperor, and he would not inherit any other titles from the previous HREmperor, then the new emperor will usurp a random county from the previous emperor's other successor. (EDIT: However, since the unlanded character was of your dynasty, you would have played as him, ie, you would have kept the empire and 1 county and all the retinues, and the kingdoms etc would have gone to someone else.)

Reactions:
Ive read that ck3 is now playable with mods and that achievments can still be earned. Is this true for ck2 as well? Has paradox introduced this for all their games?
No, CK2 is firmly stuck in the past.
CK2 is out of development since late 2020. I don't think we'll see any more official patches. :(

Reactions:
I noticed something weird recently: when I load a saved game, my capital levies are lower than they were when I created that saved game file. Other counties are not affected and remain at full. It looks like what's happening is that for some reason the Studded Bastions (+200 archers per holding) on the Great Walls resets the archer portion of the levies to zero strength when the saved game is loaded. So during the course of play, the garrison will replenish to full (since they have archers too, even if we don't get the breakdown by type), then the archers in the levies will start to replenish, but they'll never get anywhere near full strength before I stop and create another saved game. Repeat endlessly, and the capital levies never come particularly near full strength anymore. Presumably the problem will get even worse once the Great Walls are larger and I build Soaring Fortresses for (nominally) +100 heavy infantry per holding.

This seems to completely torpedo the whole "Great Walls and lots of castles in your capital" plan. :confused: Is there any workaround? Could something else be causing this problem? The fact that it only happens in the capital, and only zeros out the archer portion of the levies, strongly suggests that it is a problem with the Great Walls, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I noticed something weird recently: when I load a saved game, my capital levies are lower than they were when I created that saved game file. Other counties are not affected and remain at full. It looks like what's happening is that for some reason the Studded Bastions (+200 archers per holding) on the Great Walls resets the archer portion of the levies to zero strength when the saved game is loaded. So during the course of play, the garrison will replenish to full (since they have archers too, even if we don't get the breakdown by type), then the archers in the levies will start to replenish, but they'll never get anywhere near full strength before I stop and create another saved game. Repeat endlessly, and the capital levies never come particularly near full strength anymore. Presumably the problem will get even worse once the Great Walls are larger and I build Soaring Fortresses for (nominally) +100 heavy infantry per holding.

This seems to completely torpedo the whole "Great Walls and lots of castles in your capital" plan. :confused: Is there any workaround? Could something else be causing this problem? The fact that it only happens in the capital, and only zeros out the archer portion of the levies, strongly suggests that it is a problem with the Great Walls, though.
Interesting.

I tested it on one of my games, and reproduced the issue. (Used the console to join a warrior lodge, rank up to hero, and gain a lot of currency. Used "inspire warriors" to refill all levies. Save, screenshot, reload, screenshot.)

Before save:
20230911121148_1.jpg20230911121150_1.jpg

After quit & reload:
20230911121308_1.jpg20230911121309_1.jpg

Effects:
  • Garrison troop count reduced by 70 due to reload. Weird but not significant.
  • Max levy size increased during the reload (probably due to increase in martial from warrior lodge). Check the actual troop count, not the maximums.
  • Archer troop count was zeroised on reload. (-11k levies. Ouch! But, thanks to modifier stacking, they'll be back within 2 years.)
  • (All other troop counts remained the same on reload.)
Possible workarounds:
  • Raise your capital levies before saving, dismiss them on reloading.
  • Be a Hero of a Warrior Lodge (for the "free" refills).
  • Don't ever quit CK2. (Or, at least, don't do it frequently.)
I don't know if it's possible for a mod to detect that "great walls are present, archer levy count is zero, and all other troops are >90% full". If it was possible, you could reasonably fire a hidden on game start event which refills the levies in affected holdings. (EDIT: I searched the Conditions page, and I can't see anything obviously relevant, so you would need to create a workaround check that has the same effect as checking for zero archers...)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Holly Furry was a trap :D
I feel like a Holly Furry DLC would be a rip-roaring success. Flora and fauna, so there's something for everyone! :p

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: