• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Currently playing as a norse buddhist ruler in Wales/Northern England. As I converted from Norse(Åsatru) to Buddhism several generations ago, I think I am considered casteless. Is it possible for my character to somehow join a caste? I know it's not such a big deal when you're playing as a Buddhist, but the small bonus to prestige/wealth/karma looks nice. I looked around on the wiki a bit, and I noticed there was an event that allowed you to join the warrior caste for a hefty fee, although I think it's only available to Hindus.

Is it somehow possible for my casteless Buddhist king to join a caste?

Convert to Hinduism for a generation, change caste, and then go back to Buddhism.

Hindus have a decision to change to Kshatriya. You either need to be Brahmin and spend some karma/piety, or if you are casteless or Vaishya, you need to spend a bunch of gold (like 100 times your monthly income), which can be halved if you have Learning of 12+. However, since the gold cost is based on monthly income, you just need to run a deficit and you can convert for cheap.

In a recent game, my monthly income was 1000+ ducats a month, so the cost to convert was 100,000. So I went over my demesne limit for a few months and my monthly income plummeted to -400 a month and I was able to convert for a mere 100 ducats.

So as a Hindu, convert to Kshatriya and have kids, and then next generation, convert back to Buddhism.

The prestige bonus from kshatriya really is trivial though, so I wouldn't say it's worth the bother unless you're just trying to get as many traits as possible.

You also won't be able to land anyone except randomly generated courtiers as a hindu because they'll be casteless (AI doesn't seem to use the decision) and you can't land "wrong caste" people.

Edit: Oh, and your children will miss out on the caste trait any time you marry someone without a caste because children have the lowest of their parents castes. So you'll be stuck using "present debutante" for your wife seeing as there won't be many kshatriya brides available in Wales.

1: Does a Duchy need to exist to drift or do you just need to control 100% of the counties in it?
2: If you have a secondary Kingdom with no Dukes (just counts) will anyone desire the Kingdom?
3: If you have a vassal Merchant Republic (duke-level) in a secondary kingdom will the Republic's leader desire the Kingdom?

1. Just own 100% of counties and duchy will drift into primary title.(if not a de jure Duchy of a secondary king title)
2. They will not desire the kingdom, but some ambitious idiots might get become King of X ambition (no malus)
3. Not sure never had vassal republics. I usually grant them independence, if I create them.

How often can you switch between primary titles?
For example, I am king of Ireland and Wales. Can I arbitrary switch between either at any time? I want to check the laws in Wales but Ireland is my power base and I don't want to have an problems with that title.
Now if my wife is the Queen of Brittany(I didn't acquire Brittany, my wife was heir and now Queen, Brittany appears to be Matrimonial), can I do the same and switch to Brittany as primary title to change the laws there?

How often can you switch between primary titles?
For example, I am king of Ireland and Wales. Can I arbitrary switch between either at any time? I want to check the laws in Wales but Ireland is my power base and I don't want to have an problems with that title.
Now if my wife is the Queen of Brittany(I didn't acquire Brittany, my wife was heir and now Queen, Brittany appears to be Matrimonial), can I do the same and switch to Brittany as primary title to change the laws there?

You can switch whenever you want.

The different titles may have different tax/levy laws.

It may also have different crown authority which applies to holdings that are not within any of your de jure titles.

If you are Catholic, switching to a primary with Papal Investiture gives you the 50% piety discount, even if your other titles are Free Investiture.

If I am playing ERE, I always use that as my primary. Otherwise, sadly enough, my main criteria is which Empire/Kingdom has the best color for the map....

1: Does a Duchy need to exist to drift or do you just need to control 100% of the counties in it?
2: If you have a secondary Kingdom with no Dukes (just counts) will anyone desire the Kingdom?
3: If you have a vassal Merchant Republic (duke-level) in a secondary kingdom will the Republic's leader desire the Kingdom?

1. The duchy (or kingdom) does not need to exist to drift. Controlling 100% of the counties should be sufficient. IIRC, if the duchy exists and is controlled by someone else, it won't drift even though you control all the counties. Also, IIRC, duchy drift only happens if you are a King (and NOT if you are Emperor). Though if you are Emperor, your vassal Kings can get duchies to drift into their kingdom.

2. Kingdoms will always be desired by de jure Dukes (but not counts/barons), as well as other title claimants. In your situation, there shouldn't be anyone else who gets the -25 desires penalty.

3. Yes, IF the title of the Republic is a de jure part of the kingdom. If you control any kingdom/empire titles (regardless of primary/secondary/tertiary/etc), you will get the -25 penalty from appropriate parties. So if you created a random new Republic through a duchy, he will want your kingdom title.

Note however that there are certain titular duchies/kingdoms which are not de jure parts of anything. If the Republic was founded through one of those, then they WON'T desire the Kingdom since they are not part of the kingdom. Gottland and Socotra come to mind at the Duchy level. Genoa, Pisa, and Cyprus are examples at the King level. Venice actually has de jure land and is a de jure part of ERE so that one would result in the -25 desire penalty.

How has the Mongolian Hordes changed since Rajas of India? Do they still show up in the same places or have the locations or algorithms changed, now that the Central Asia map has changed?

I don't remember all the details, but they don't show up in the exact same places (as you pointed out, they can't as that part of the map has changed). The general set-up is the same -- events happen, armies show up. Multiple waves, and then other khans as well. Seljuk is the only one that changed dramatically as he now has to show up on a part of the map already visible.

Playing the Ethiopian jew is one of the hardest vanilla game. I would not say it's impossible however, because there are very skilled people around here.
Seljuk and Abbassid should fight each other. Most times, Tulunid would join (if they're still there). Try using these times when Abbassids are down to strike back.

If you don't succeed and still want to play jews, you can try playing Khazars (around Crimea). Their survival is much more manageable IMHO.

It's not easy, but I'd say it's EASIER at the 1066 start. You have more territory to start, and if you act quickly, you can grab Muslim AND Miaphysite land, swear fealty to the Abyssinian King, and seize control of that as well. The Muslim world is also a bit more fragmented and more likely to bicker (and see Crusades soon). I had a pretty successful run, conquering as far north as Alexandria, as well as the entire south and west coast of the Arabian peninsula.

Neither, I checked. She has a weak claim, but there are at least six people in line before her.

Apparently the latter part is WAD, good to know. (would be nice if they asked first...

IIRC, it's technically not once per lifetime. It is once per 30 years, but if your single ruler lives long enough, you should be able to call multiple Great Holy Wars.

Really? I've had rulers last forty years and more and never get a second chance.

Vassal inheritance not Gavelkind

I've noticed this several times and maybe someone can explain it to me. As an emperor, or king, I notice that despite the Gavelkind inheritance that is part of the realm laws, dukes with mulitple titles happily leave everything to the oldest son. How does this work? Why does this work? I feel it shouldn't work this way.

Thanks in advance, DW

I've noticed this several times and maybe someone can explain it to me. As an emperor, or king, I notice that despite the Gavelkind inheritance that is part of the realm laws, dukes with mulitple titles happily leave everything to the oldest son. How does this work? Why does this work? I feel it shouldn't work this way.

Thanks in advance, DW
Inheritance is not a realm-level law. When you're Duke or Count, you can set your own inheritance law, in accordance to the CA of the de jure kingdom. In your case, if your CA is high or very high, your vassals can switch to primogeniture.

Just got to the point where I can create Hispania. I wanted to create Galicia as my 2nd kingdom and give it to the Prince-Archbishop of Galicia after creating the Empire. I can create it but I can't give it to him, although I can give it to other vassals. Is it not possible to create king level theocracies?

Just got to the point where I can create Hispania. I wanted to create Galicia as my 2nd kingdom and give it to the Prince-Archbishop of Galicia after creating the Empire. I can create it but I can't give it to him, although I can give it to other vassals. Is it not possible to create king level theocracies?

No its not anymore.

Inheritance is not a realm-level law. When you're Duke or Count, you can set your own inheritance law, in accordance to the CA of the de jure kingdom. In your case, if your CA is high or very high, your vassals can switch to primogeniture.

And one more additional clarification to this: It's all title based. Titles can have different inheritance laws. The game doesn't track individual duchy laws for multi-dukes, but kingdoms and empires will always keep their own laws.

Hi all,

I wondered whether the CK2->EU4 converter DLC does work with mods or with modified files ? Actually what I wanna do is only to create an new empire in the balkans. As far as I know it is better to create a mod rather than changing directly the game files, even for such minor modifications - just in case. Is the converter okay with that kind of changes ?

I'm sorry if that was already answered there or anywere else, I looked for it but found nothing.

Convert to Hinduism for a generation, change caste, and then go back to Buddhism.

Hindus have a decision to change to Kshatriya. You either need to be Brahmin and spend some karma/piety, or if you are casteless or Vaishya, you need to spend a bunch of gold (like 100 times your monthly income), which can be halved if you have Learning of 12+. However, since the gold cost is based on monthly income, you just need to run a deficit and you can convert for cheap.

In a recent game, my monthly income was 1000+ ducats a month, so the cost to convert was 100,000. So I went over my demesne limit for a few months and my monthly income plummeted to -400 a month and I was able to convert for a mere 100 ducats.

So as a Hindu, convert to Kshatriya and have kids, and then next generation, convert back to Buddhism.

Alright, I figured that was what I would have to do. However, the game won't let me convert to Hinduism, as I don't have any Hindu provinces in my realm, and I'm pretty sure there are no Hindu characters within my diplomatic range. Thanks for the answer though :)

Got another small thing I'm wondering about. Will I still be able to designate my heir if I change from Gavelkind to Primogeniture/Ultimogeniture?

Alright, I figured that was what I would have to do. However, the game won't let me convert to Hinduism, as I don't have any Hindu provinces in my realm, and I'm pretty sure there are no Hindu characters within my diplomatic range. Thanks for the answer though :)

Got another small thing I'm wondering about. Will I still be able to designate my heir if I change from Gavelkind to Primogeniture/Ultimogeniture?

All Indian religions should be able to convert (once per lifetime) to another Indian religion.

If you want to convert to a non-Indian religion, then you need a province or character of another religion. But there should be decision options in the Intrigue tab that let you convert to Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism.

The main exception is that you can't convert like that if you are Zealous. Is your current character Zealous?