• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Galleblære
Well you could probably just substitute the Ottomans with the Byzantium.

Not really. Byzantium is Christian. That means that the empire would be *far* more integrated within the European alliance system than the Ottomans ever were, and that Byzantium would be far less reluctant to borrow Western "Christian" ideas. I'd make comparisons to Russia, with the proviso that the empire would be far less insular in out look than Russia has historically been.

Alexandre

Originally posted by Alexandre
Not really. Byzantium is Christian. That means that the empire would be *far* more integrated within the European alliance system than the Ottomans ever were, and that Byzantium would be far less reluctant to borrow Western "Christian" ideas. I'd make comparisons to Russia, with the proviso that the empire would be far less insular in out look than Russia has historically been.

Alexandre

Well...the Russians ended up with the two least Catholic nations - the French and British - while the Ottomans ended up with Europe's most militantly Catholic nation (notwithstanding Spain) Austria.

The impact on history would have been...profound. The Russians would have been completely changed; to begin with, the security issue of their southern frontier would have been greatly mitigated, and they might not have had this "we're the only good Orthodox people and everyone else wants to destroy us" sort of paranoia that's dominated their foreign policy. Pointedly, if the Byzantines had outlived 1453, things would be incredibly different, and I don't know that we can make any clear decision on how things would have turned out, or even with much measure of certainty.

Although, when VIC comes out, we can see... :D

Originally posted by Wertigo
And Johan is Sid Meier? This Swedish company thing is just a nice cover. Everybody thinks of beautiful girls and meatballs when they here the word Sweden. The fact that these great games came from Sweden stunned us so that we couldn't see the truth! Now i get it...

Hey, i liked that stuff you can buy everywhere in Sweden. Don't know the swedish name anymore, but in german it would be "Kartoffelstock mit Würstchen" :D

I like sweden !

hm...I think I have to play sweden in my next EU-2 game :)

I just saw the new Screenie, and I have to have an EU2-Vic converter. Imagine the problems of a completly reemerged Byzantium- dealing with the remaining Arab population, the nature of a converted Turkish populace, good god imagine!