• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He's quite forward with his daughter, isn't he? My, my, my. But it does sound like he is having quite the time in New Orleans. It would most likely spite Hamilton to know of it.

Forward isn't quite the word for it, unabashed maybe. I wonder though if this letter will in fact reach his daughter?

Great, another Judge in the working. :eek:o
Tsk-tsk. Who knew such an upsatnding AAR would stoop to this level of anti-innocents. Who'd write that to their daughter. Maybe to a son... but a daughter?! Blecchhhkkkkk!

I too had to check a number of times to see if he was writting to his daughter or to someone else.

I don't think you should treat daughters different from sons, but then I wouldn't talk to my son about my sex life either.

Old people having sex, EEEWWWWWW!

I echo the sentiments of the four posters before me. Masterfully written, but a little creepy. :wacko:

Ahh, my faith in humanity is restored!

I was getting worried! "Forward?" "Unabashed?"

I was expecting calls for lynch mobs! Now we're getting somewhere.

Actually, from the histories I've read, this is a fairly typical correspondence between Burr and his daughter. I even borrowed some of the text verbatim. I wanted to give you a sketch of this man's personality.

Now you have it! :D A lech, indeed. A bizarre relationship.

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Hey, I'm leading a lynch mob in Earth Savior's AAR for him killing off Skorzeny. Might as well start off here.

BURN THE ANTI-INNOCENT! BURN HIIIIM!!!!!:mad:1!1!!

:D

anonymous4401 said:
Hey, I'm leading a lynch mob in Earth Savior's AAR for him killing off Skorzeny. Might as well start off here.

BURN THE ANTI-INNOCENT! BURN HIIIIM!!!!!:mad:1!1!!

:D
Why, thank you for the publicity! :D

You're still getting burned for killing Skorzeny in a most un-cool way, though.

Rensslaer said:
Theory of Knowledge

Ahh, my faith in humanity is restored!

I was getting worried! "Forward?" "Unabashed?"

I was expecting calls for lynch mobs! Now we're getting somewhere.

Actually, from the histories I've read, this is a fairly typical correspondence between Burr and his daughter. I even borrowed some of the text verbatim. I wanted to give you a sketch of this man's personality.

Now you have it! :D A lech, indeed. A bizarre relationship.
regarding the "Theory of Knowledge", my position is that knowledge is truth, that is, truth is that which is today, was yesterday, and will forever be true. theory is just that, a theory: which may or may not be true.

regarding what our Mr A. Burr wrote to his daughter, what he wrote may or may not be true. but, that he wrote what he wrote is true. now, as to passing judgement on what he wrote, i decline. however, i will make an observation: i think that it is safe to say that his son-in-law was very happy with the consequences of those letters! :rofl: :rofl: :D

OH, along this same vein, you may want to read some of the few remaining letters between ACW soldiers and their wifes. things like: "oh, honey, i really enjoyed the night we spent on the couch." (this was from wife to husband.) and, the envelope that was addressed to "to my soldier MAN" over his name and unit address... (sorry, but the word "soldier" may have been "darling". it has been awhile since i saw this envelope...)

stnylan said:
I wonder though if this letter will in fact reach his daughter?
i real life, obviously they did. in the AAR, guess we have to stick around to see! ;)

BBBD said:
Old people having sex, EEEWWWWWW!
what do you call old? at 60, i am not too old. :D

OH, awesome letter, errr, update! ! ! ! :D

GhostWriter said:
i think that it is safe to say that his son-in-law was very happy with the consequences of those letters! :rofl: :rofl: :D
Indeed! If one were disposed to be charitable, Burr might be suspected of "grooming" his daughter. ((shudders)) ;)

GhostWriter said:
what do you call old? at 60, i am not too old. :D
Well, even so, I will not accuse you of having received any of these letters from Civil War wives that you seem to know so much about! ;) ;)

Actually, when the IBM 486 computer first came out (back in the early '90s), the first person in the world I knew who had one was an 82 year old man who had been born in China of missionary parents, and he kept up with us young tykes just fine on the computer! :D

Glad to have you along, GhostWriter! You vigorous man, you!

Rensslaer

I want to take a moment to draw attention to two worthy efforts underway to recognize the writAARs of AARland who busy themselves producing volumes of text for our enjoyment!

There are two award selection processes currently underway that are having a little bit of difficulty getting a good number of votes and nominations, so I would like to encourage the readership here to go help out!

The first is the VictAARian Cross, which has a long tradition and is the highest honor one can earn in the Victoria AAR section. This thread is currently (up to the 31st, I believe) collecting nominations from a list of AARs (listed here) completed up to the end of 2004. I am sure these many talented writers would appreciate 1) your attention in reading part or all of their work for evaluation purposes, and 2) your vote! :) Thanks to Coz1 for all the work he's putting into this!

Reminder -- the VictAARian Cross nominations being taken up to Oct 31 are only for AARs COMPLETED in the last half of 2004. The list of eligibles is located at the link above.

The second is a new effort (let's call it a "new tradition" eh?) to start an intermediate level of awards for Vicky -- something in between the VictAARian Cross (awarded twice a year) and the weekly WritAAR of the Week and/or Weekly Showcase awards.

Thanks to Anonymous4401 for heading this effort up, devising rules, etc!

I originally told Anonymous that I didn't feel comfortable pushing the Choice Awards, as I'd already received votes for both of my AARs in the thread, and didn't want to seem like I was lobbying for more, or tooting my own horn, etc. On reflection, I think those of you who know me know I'm not doing that. There are a great many worthy writers in these fora who deserve recognition. I know that many of you read more than just this AAR, and so you know what I'm talking about!

The AARland Choice Awards are a noble effort to accomplish something I think has been needed for a long time. I know there was origninally some controversy about creating a new award, what the rules would be, etc. But I also know that Anonymous has done a good job in attending to those concerns, and that the people who voiced them have (most or all) since voted in the process and seem to have been satisfied.

The current selection process (until Oct 31) covers AARs which were BEING WRITTEN (not necessarily completed) during the 3rd Quarter of 2005 (i.e. July, August & September).

So! Please, I encourage all of you to go check out these threads, read some very worthy evidence of tAARlent displayed on the Vicky AAR board, and GO VOTE!

Rensslaer

GhostWriter said:
regarding the "Theory of Knowledge", my position is that knowledge is truth, that is, truth is that which is today, was yesterday, and will forever be true. theory is just that, a theory: which may or may not be true.

ToK refers to Theory of Knowledge, a component/class required for an International Baccalaureate diploma. I think this is what Capitalist is referring to. I remember the days of ToK... Lots of fun arguing about the meaning of life for months. :)

Rensslaer: This AAR is shaping up nicely. If you could, finish the last 36 Prussian years before switching to a new AAR. You better finish Prussia... :)

Both AARs seem pretty good. I really like your writing style.

Now Update both AARs!

I want to apologize to everyone who has been keeping track of this AAR.

I've been really short on writing opportunities this week, and I also confess to a small degree of writer's block. I'm over that, now, but need time to write.

I also realized I need to resolve a central item before I can write the next update -- who will lead Jefferson's Army detachment to follow Hamilton.

Director, thank you for your fine recommendations! I will be using those once I get closer to 1830 or so. I hope you will see a young Winfield Scott around soon.

But for the 1807/08 expedition, I'm looking probably for someone who would be a general in the War of 1812 or so. I admit to almost complete ignorance about the ground war of the War of 1812, up to the Battle of New Orleans! Anybody whose knowledge is better than mine care to make some recommendations??? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Can you get straight to the game? I want to see Colorado kick some @$$! :D

Can I softly say I'm not unhappy that you weren't able to update more frequently the past couple of weeks? It's terribly selfish, I know, but it has meant I didn't fall too far behind during my recent absence. ;)

I have always thought that the United States didn't really have a real army after the Revolutionary War and before the Civil War. Okay, maybe during the Mexican War, but I always thought there basically wasn't an army between 1787 or so and 1840 or so. If that's the case, then the army that Hamilton is gathering must be making quite a few people nervous. I mean, two or four thousand people, that is quite a lot if there is nothing else to oppose it...
I wonder how President Jefferson will feel if Hamilton will indeed enlarge his army beyond what Jefferson had envisioned.

And then there's the letter from Burr to his daughter... The degree to which he is open about his affairs with women, with his DAUGHTER, is a little disturbing. I'm glad you didn't delve into any more details. :D

Both the letter and the earlier post about Hamilton's army had some nice touches in them, strengthening the period feel of things. I liked the way Hamilton bartered a colonelcy for a favorable loan, without even considering whether Solomon has any skills as an officer. And in the letter, I found Burr's matter-of-fact discussion of his slaves as assets ("I am sure the boy will fetch a good price" or something to that effect) very effective at reminding me that we are dealing with people 200 years ago, with very different morals and values.

Anyway, now that I'm caught up again, I hope you'll catch a break from the day-to-day drudgery to allow yourself to write more frequently. ;) Fascinating story, even with nothing much happening out in the open so far.

Stuyvesant, thank you for your gentle urging and insightful comment! :D

You are correct, to a large degree. The early US had a problem with "standing armies" -- maintaining large forces for long periods of time.

During this time period, (educated guesses) there were permanent garrisons on the frontier -- probably a few thousand total -- spread from New Orleans to Saint Louis to Illinois. The "standing army" in the seats of power probably wouldn't be much more than that.

Hamilton's army of 4,000 would be a significant force in being. But that's how they did things during this time period -- raising a militia from those who were either experienced or at least willing.

Jefferson's Army force that he's gathering will also have to be largely raised from volunteers commissioned for the purpose. These would provide cover to the official US Army whereas Hamilton's is largely an independent force.

Not a lot of trust going on here, which is why it will get very interesting very soon.

Burr's newspaper clippings will be coming up as soon as I can write them! Hopefully, within a couple of days. I do have to choose that leader, first... any help is appreciated!

Rensslaer

Just caught up after a long abscene, and its fluffy marvelous.

First, a note to readers: During this period of early United States History, it was quite normal for each political faction to have their own newspapers to spread political propaganda and their own agendas. Not that anything has changed – today’s newspapers merely pretend to be objective. The important thing – then, as now – is to understand from where the journalist constructs his opinions. While these newspapers were not usually under the direct control of their sponsors, and could express opinions stronger than their patrons would approve, those who funded the paper could communicate their ideas through their medium.

Excerpts of Articles from the Major Newspapers of the American Union, Autumn, 1806

The New York Evening Post (founded by Alexander Hamilton, one voice of the “High Federalists”)

That man of finest Character, Mr. Hamilton, has rallied some four thousand men under arms to come to the Defense of the American nation. Fractious elements, led by two men of evil repute, threaten to rip at the fabric of our Flag and Country. It is of the utmost importance to preserve the Integrity of the Union, lest we fall yet again to squabbling Disorder between the separate states.

Mr. Jefferson, despite affectations of knowledge and nobility, hasn’t the heart or courage to respond to this Challenge himself. His raising of an army in the shadow of Mr. Hamilton’s has been tentative in execution and unclear in purpose. Mr. H’s army is sufficient to the task, and should be left to it.

Indeed, there is no more perfect Personality to effect this end than Mr. Hamilton. He has fought in Defense of our Country and Constitution before. As you will remember, he was not only a hero of the Revolution, but also proved a guiding force in the Drafting and Ratification of our present form of government. He has calmed rash movements toward Separatism, and stood in the way of that Dangerous man Aaron Burr, whose Designs on greater power – as a Dictator or worse! – have been revealed to us all. That Noble act of Mr. Hamilton so angered his nemesis that they met in an Affair of Honor (to which only one man had any to offer!). Mr. Hamilton stood his ground, was gravely Injured, but emerged with his Commitment to his Country tested and proved.

Now, as Mr. Burr is at the center of this new Plot against the United States, it seems they are Fated to meet once again in a Test of wills over the very same issues as before – Union or Disorder, Honor or Shame, Freedom or Tyranny.

--Wm. Coleman, Editor

The Morning Chronicle (founded by Aaron Burr as a competitor to Hamilton’s Evening Post and Clinton's American Citizen)

In point of fact, no lesser personage than Mr. Adams – Hamilton’s former colleague and ally – has voiced an Opinion in a correspondence which has come to our attention that Mr. Hamilton is “most assuredly” raising this army “to take Power for himself”, be it in St. Louis, New Orleans, or even in the city of Washington itself! He suggests that Mr. H. may wish a crown, or perhaps just an iron scepter, to rule as Despot of the western territories.

Indeed, it is certain that some nefarious scheme is about, because Mr. H. has raised a Mob of some 4,000 rabble-rousers on the dubious strength of a rumor of trouble on the frontier – that is twice what he said he would call for his supposedly “disinterested” purposes. More likely, Mr. H. intends to be the cause of trouble!

And though Mr. Hamilton claims to have issued his muster under colour of Authority from Mr. Jefferson, His Highness himself says that is not true, and that Mr. H. is raising his army entirely with private funds. Naturally, His Eminenceness expresses “concern.” And he raises an army of his own to “observe.” He sits in his White House, gnawing on his fingers and comparing one tree leaf or acorn to another while others determine the course of events.

Now it becomes a question of which Tyrant shall oppress the Free People of the West – the army raised by Hamilton, or that raised by Jefferson!

--Peter Irving, Editor

The American Citizen (founded by DeWitt Clinton, a Republican rival of both Hamilton and Burr)

One Fool, with an eye toward Glory and Power on the frontier, has dreamt up a Scheme to separate Louisiana from the rest of the country. Another Fool, with as dangerous Ambitions as the first, cloaks himself in the American flag to disguise his real Intent – to betray his President and create his own frontier kingdom.

Now we are forced to watch – yet again! – the misadventures of petty little men. Only two men will stand up for the American people – President Jefferson, and General Hargrove.

--James Cheetham, Editor

Last edited: