• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part IX. Byzantine India.

Following the acquisition of the english west indian settlements much effort was put into consolidating their infrastructure. Byzantine officials later commented on how poorly developed these "colonies" were for such an apparently great naval nation as England. During this process the Russians declared war on the Poles again drawing in a principally scandinavian alliance to the war. The byzantines, uncaring for the plight of either russia or poland, invaded polish moldavia and settled for a pre war staus quo. The only notable development post-war was the addition of Bayonets [Land:29 / Lvl 5 Forts] in 1685. Following on from this development several key defensive locations of Byzantium were heavily fortified with newer and much larger fortications. Several key forts being located in India itself... which was now being turned into an incredibly well fortified and developed part of Byzantium. In 1688 New Adana was founded in the most northerly province of the India holidings.

In 1685, with planning completed, war was declared upon Hyderabad [Importantly allied with Venice]. Aside from the total annihilation of the Hyderabad only a year or so later, Hellas and Parlakimedi (key venetian targets), were attacked. Desperate to end byzantine depredations the Venetians relenquished Parlakimedi in India to the Byzantines. A few weeks later Hyderabad is annexed to the growing byzantine power (Fig. 33) in India. A political crisis during the war made recovery from it extremely difficult... and even several years afterwards revolts were a common problem. It wasnt until the late 1690's that order was finally restored in the realm.

In 1701 plans were put in place for an invasion of the Mughals in the north. The last forways into that empire had proved highly interesting and very useful to commanders in the region. It was widely known that the mughals were not the power they once were in the region and the stage was set for a war if not now, then soon. Plans however are delayed by another russian declaration of war on the polish, however before forces can mobilised, the war is over a year later. By 1703 it is clear war with the Mughal Empire is perhaps a few months away.

In August 1704 that war finally begins (Fig. 34). The war is a vicous conflict that takes several years to reach its conclusion, and even after the fall of Delhi in 1708, the end is not even vaguely in sight. By 1711, with several mughal provinces still free and fighting... and with rebellion across India itself, peace is declared with the Byzantine annexation of Goa, Aurangabad, and Berhampur (Fig. 35). Goa, the rich trading city originally of Byzantine origin, is considered a symbolic victory. Aurangabad and Berhampur were important victories because of the sheer duration it took to capture them. Their acquisition ensures the next time, the mughals will not be so lucky.

Once again, following the destabilising war against the mughal empire, order was not restored until 1713. Preperations were made to exact revenge on the mughals and in late 1720 those preperations were finally put in place. This time there would be no dragged out war of attrition stopped by revolt at home. In November 1721 Delhi fell and by 1724, the last province of Kutch, finally fell into Byzantine hands. In January 1725 the Mughal Empire was annexed by Byzantium (Fig. 36).

Fig. 33 - - - - - - Fig. 34 - - - - - - Fig. 35 - - - - - - Fig. 36​

Originally posted by Rex Francorum
Highly entertaining! :) I can't wait for Persia's dramatic end ;)

Do you consider to attack Hedjaz, Nubia, Aden and Oman?

Persia did not go quietly unfortunately... and i remained content to leave those nations you mentioned alone. They did not bother me even as alliance members of an enemy so to attack them usually seemed pointless. My goal was Persia towards the end ;)

Well now you are definitely more successful than Alexander the Great Languish, I think a huge glass of water is in order to celebrate this successful campaign. ;)

Part X. The Persian Wars.

The conquest of the Mughal Empire was indeed an impressive feat for an empire that was, over two hundred years ago, on the brink of extinction. Before this new acquisition could be fully redeveloped the Russians yet again declared war on the Polish in 1726 dragging Byzantium into another pointless war that was over in a mere year or so later. In 1732, upon the completion of three weapons manufactury's in Konya, Smyrna and Yanam, it was decided that the Russia led alliance should be left... for now. The following year the entire empire was mobilised for war and a year later on November the 24th 1734 the Byzantium Empire declared war on the unaligned Persian State.

The war is suprisingly easy and a year later the main persian armies are defeated piecemeal. In 1735 Indus, Azerbaijan and Kurdistan fall. In 1736 Syria, Kalat, Baluchistan, Jordan and Kars fall as major land battles rage in and around Iraq. Throughtout 1737 Iraq, Mekran and Iraq fall though it would take three more years of attrition warfare before Basra and Isfahan itself would fall. In 1741 the Hafsids to the west of Egypt declare war on the empire, and expecting a rash of declarations from neighbouring states, the Byzantines decide to accept a smaller settlement in the peace of isfahan in 1741. Indus and Kalat in the east are handed over to the Byzantines (Fig. 37). The French declaration of war in 1742 is bought off with an indemnity of 500d. The Hafsids are paid 250d to end there attacks despite the fact they could have been destoyed and annexed in a year or so.

Preparations, in the light of its enemies weaknessess, were made for another war against persia with several 80 thousand strong armies raised across the empire leading up to the declaration of war in 1747. Four years of relatively east fighting lead to another treaty in favour of Byzantium as they annex Syria, Mekran and Kurdistan by treaty in 1751 (Fig. 38). The development of the brown bess musket in 1754 only serves to widen the massive gap between the quality of byzantine troops as opposed to their persian counterparts. The peace treaty however is worth only the paper it is written on as war is once again declared in 1757. The difference, and some might say mistake, was by asking for the involvement of Russia troops in the campaign Alliance renewed]. The large armies they sent south quickly took control of large portions of Persia winning several sieges that the byzantines considered crucial. In December 1758 they were able to take Armenia and Kars and a year later the Byzantines took Mombasa, Kirkuk and Tabuk.

The alliance was retained and employed in the next war despite some concerns over russian war aims. War was undertaken again in April 1764 and the alliance sent waves of troops across the borders. Only in December 1764 the russians are able to secure Nuyssaybin [Giving us a CB if we wish to use it], Persis and 60d. In 1769 the Byzantines secured Azerbaijan and Hamad by treaty (Fig. 39) further crippling the Persians.

In 1774 the last war against the Persian "empire" was undertaken. In three years of relatively unopposed conquest the Russians were able to take Tabriz and Basra and the Byzantines were finally able to annex the Persians (Fig. 40). The road had been opened for a direct route of travel from the mountains of serbia and the deserts of egypt to the ganges delta in India.

Fig. 37 - - - - - - Fig. 38 - - - - - - Fig. 39 - - - - - - Fig. 40​

Nice going Languish, a scent of narrative writing style in the opening or? Well nice update anyway, cheers:)

Part XI. Crashing against the shores of Austria.

The Russians, ever keen to fight anyone with a border with them, declared war again in 1780 this time against the Teutonic Order drawing in the alliance once again. Byzantium administrators made no attempt to engage the enemy and merely negotiated indemnity payments to the enemy alliance. In truth the empire was gearing up for war with Austria. In 1782 the Byzantium Empire declared war on the Austrians [Allied with Spain, Naples and Wurtemburg]. Confident of success the byzantines launched a major offensive across the border (Fig. 41) with a force in excess of 250,000 men. It was to prove a difficult and costly war against the pre-eminent western european power of its time. Initial results were good.

In April 1782 Moldovia fell, only to be recaptured a year later by the Austrians, and in 1784 Croatia fell to the Byzantines. These sucesses would only be temporary as Austrian armies, lead by strong leaders, easily wiped out 50,000 strong armies annihilating them at no cost to themself on most cases. On the backfoot from 1785 the Byzantines were forced to conclude a white peace with Wurtumberg despite capturing Istria. In 1786 Bosnia fell to the Austrians and in 1787 spain was bought off with 250d and the useless saudi arabian province of Tabuk. By 1788 the Austrians, exhausted from war, but still holding several provinces were on the backfoot. Several small victories by the Byzantines and with India and Persia in almost perpetual revolt and a treaty was compelled to be signed by the Empire. Serbia and 250d were handed over to the Austrians (Fig. 42). It was a difficult war that could have developed into a far more serious defeat.

In 1789 a process of re-arming was put in place in order to gain some compensation for the defeat to the austrians. One compensation was that it took the greatest nation in europe at that time to narrowly defeat Byzantium, another could be attention on greece and the southern balkans. In early 1791 war was declared on the small and hapless principality of Ragusa [Conveniently allied with Venice. Hellas and Ragusa fell that same year along with the Cyclades and Morea the following year. In March 1792 Morea and the Cyclades were annexed (Fig. 43) to the Byzantium Empire and Ragusa (Fig. 44) shortly followed.

Later that year preparations were put in place for a second war (of revenge) against Austria, this time with an even larger force of men. However before this war could be declared...

... the game ended!

Fig. 41 - - - - - - Fig. 42 - - - - - - Fig. 43 - - - - - - Fig. 44​

Congratulations!

I was just about to ask how you were going on your objective to "Settle the Historic Byzantium Cores" when I saw your final post. At least you tried against Austria. Have you counted up how many core provinces you did/ did not conquer?

I played Byz earlier this year (IGC 2.3, Very Hard/Normal), and found I could gradually make gains against Mameluks, then Turkey, then Persia. But when I turned against my Christian Brothers in the early 1700s (tried to take Sicilian provinces from Spain) I suffered major defeats in battle against large coalition armies in the Balkans. I never worked out if there was a tech level imbalance, or if my lack of historic battle leaders was the problem, or if I was just a bad general :-(.

But playing as Byz was great fun, along with Denmark this was one of my favourite GCs.

What are you going to play next, and why?

Originally posted by Languish
Some, but i am trying not to get drawn into that way of writing AAR's. I like them to be relatively factual, quick and easy to read :)

Thanks for the compliments.

Languish I agree to some extent though right now I enjoy writing more in a bit more narrative style. Your writing is very nice not only log style, more a sort of “smoothness” in the story and fine pictures. Like that. Maybe a EU 2 attempt with that concept. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Nice update too:)

Originally posted by vandem
Congratulations!

I was just about to ask how you were going on your objective to "Settle the Historic Byzantium Cores" when I saw your final post. At least you tried against Austria. Have you counted up how many core provinces you did/ did not conquer?

I played Byz earlier this year (IGC 2.3, Very Hard/Normal), and found I could gradually make gains against Mameluks, then Turkey, then Persia. But when I turned against my Christian Brothers in the early 1700s (tried to take Sicilian provinces from Spain) I suffered major defeats in battle against large coalition armies in the Balkans. I never worked out if there was a tech level imbalance, or if my lack of historic battle leaders was the problem, or if I was just a bad general :-(.

But playing as Byz was great fun, along with Denmark this was one of my favourite GCs.

What are you going to play next, and why?

Thanks!

Austria was really tough and frequently slaughtered entire armies almost irregardless of size and composition. To be honest when i dow'ed them i did so because i knew the end of the game was near, i had valid cb's on them but i had grossly under-estimated their successes past. Being so focused on India and then Persia i had not seen there rise to power. I did inflict serious defeats on any of their navies though and quite frequently and was relieved that it took a focused austria several years to even take a single province. I must have sent half a million men to their death in the balkans...

Personally like you, i think it was the lack of leaders that was a real problem. I havent checked the austrian leader file yet but i bet they have some real nasty buggers in there that hurt me bad.

Maybe you could recommend a nation for me to play? The only thing i am trying to do is avoid playing in the same regional sphere each time... at least initially. :)

Originally posted by Judge
Languish I agree to some extent though right now I enjoy writing more in a bit more narrative style. Your writing is very nice not only log style, more a sort of “smoothness” in the story and fine pictures. Like that. Maybe a EU 2 attempt with that concept. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Nice update too:)

I think each style has its place (my only problem was that for a while that seemed not to be the case). Take your AAR for example... its very well written but also interesting as was time commando's and indeed the free company. Also though the recent celtic and byzantium aar's that are there no reflect the opposite spectrum and i think they equally rock :)

An EU2 AAR with this concept might work... at the moment i am extremely happy here getting away with murder (in game) with EU1 ;)

I think each style has its place (my only problem was that for a while that seemed not to be the case). Take your AAR for example... its very well written but also interesting as was time commando's and indeed the free company. Also though the recent celtic and byzantium aar's that are there no reflect the opposite spectrum and i think they equally rock :)

An EU2 AAR with this concept might work... at the moment i am extremely happy here getting away with murder (in game) with EU1 ;)

Definitely agree with you, it is a good thing to have different styles in the AAR section and to me it is not only a question of writing style but more a question about finding a specific AAR interesting, funny, good game play and so on.

Some long AARs can be really enjoyable while others tend to become too long and too far from the actual game play. In my recent AAR I try to separate game play from writing (edit: but I do try to describe the game play through text and pictures and that I think are missing in some AARs, you don’t get a comprehensive description of the game). Thought it could be fun to experiment a bit, we will see how it turns out.

:D

Last edited:
Oddly enough i have just started playing Vinland :D ... Burgundy might follow... don't know if they will be AAR's just yet.

I highly recommand you Burgondy. You could try to constitute Lotharingia.

The territory to conquer:

Alsace, Lorraine

In France Lyonnais, Dauphiné, Provence

In Germany, Cologne, Palatinate

In Italy: Savoy, Milan, Genoa, Modena, Toscany, Mantua

Here is an approximative map of Lotharingia after Treaty of Verdun (843)

verdun843a.gif