• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A question, can you see the last two pictures in that update? (should be a battle in Zaqazig and an overview of the front after eliminating the Zaqazig pocket) They don't seem to be loading for me and I want to know if its just me or if I have to fix it.

Edit- DISREGARD THIS POST. There must have been something wrong with my computer that day, as I can see them now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies!

Yoy21: Lebanon, no. If I did attack them they’d just be absorbed by Syria, in other words a waste of IC (spent on reducing dissent). The British Isles, however are not high on my list of priorities, but they are there. We’ll have to wait and see.

Lifeless: Unfortunately Iraq left the Allies and are now friendly with the Axis. Like Lebanon it would be pointless and a waste of effort to invade them.

Part eight see the fight to regain my cores, and if I get a little bit extra along the way, who’s complaining?

An Empire Like No Other

Part Eight:

I’m sure you all now what happened last night by now…

The next stage of our plan involves the conquest of Yogislavia and Grease [renamed by orders from our great leader]. And so we begin.

Straight away we begin shipping forces to Albania and Venice, ready for the invasion of Yogislavia. Meanwhile in Sardinia the Allies somehow sneak another division past our fleet and cause our forces in the process of landing to give up and retreat. Our Naval Bombers quickly get revenge, annihilating the lone transport flotilla responsible.

Nothing exciting happens until the beginning of November, when the British take As Suwayz. With thirteen division nearby and bombers on standby, this was a big mistake. They are easily overwhelmed and now our aircraft have an easy shot at eliminating them.

Here you can also see that we have forces in place to deal with the Allies in Palestine and the set up for my return to Ethiopia. Twelve infantry divisions plus one HQ are assigned to push south out of Egypt and retake what is rightfully ours. The bombers will also remain in this theatre to take advantage of the terrain and bomb the Brits to pieces.

On the 3rd Chad defects to Free France. A bit pointless, seeing as they are surrounded by the territory of Vichy France and us. If I could spare the forces I would crush them like a bug. On the 8th a fleet of transports is sighted off the coast of Italy. Submarines are rushed there in case of a landing but after a while it appears to be a false alarm. Instead of the transports they encounter a medium-sized British fleet which forces them to retreat.

On the 9th the enemy forces in Palestine are eliminated. From now on the Syrians will guard this region. The month passes by pointlessly as we continue transferring units around. Depending on the weather, our plan could begin next month. In the last days of November we send a force down to investigate the possibility of liberating Ethiopia sooner rather than later. It turns out that the British have heavily garrisoned the coast in that region; therefore liberation is unlikely at this time. Meanwhile the Naval Bombers are grounded after a scuffle with passing French aircraft.

Check out the toll our bombers are taking on the British army. This is part of a broad push south that will hopefully eventually let us retake the lost territory. The eventual plan is to encircle enemy forces at Luxor and force them to surrender.

The first few days of December are pretty boring, but on the 10th…

To war!

Our plan for the invasion. The green arrows are our movements; the blue arrows are our allies’ movements. It is simple. We plan to trap enemy forces in the far north and far south of Yogislavia and destroy them. After that we will push for Belgrade and then it will simply a case of mopping up the rest.

The first battles are complete successes. Looking at our allies, they appear to be sharing in our glory. Suddenly, on December 12th, Bulgaria joins our side and assists. This is good, very good. Later that day our first forces enter a Yogislav territory, Pristina and begin pushing north to Nov Pazar. On the 15th we suffer our first defeat in this campaign when we fail to take Podgorica. However, this is made up for when we win in Skopje, thus reducing further the southern pocket.

Later that day…

Our elite mountaineers reach Nov Pazar and find Belgrade wide open. In other news the Romanians (under German command) reach Nis and for some reason turn over control to us. Strange. On the 18th we finish research on Improved Infantry Divisions. Work on the old ’39 style division is abandoned and the factories shifted to work on upgrading existing divisions.

On the 21st we take Rijeka and also march triumphantly into Belgrade, seizing large stockpiles of resources in the process. The Yogislavs are getting torn apart, especially by the leader of our Mountaineers, General Vercllino, who has earned the nickname ‘Ranger Smith’ for all his success. On the 26th Sarajevo and Skopje are taken. Concidentlly, Stip is taken simultaneously by the Bulgarians, hence eliminating the southern pocket entirely.

(Stip went to me again rather than to the Bulgarians, why is this? Is it because I’m the one who declared war? But when Germany took Ljubljana it went to them rather than me. I’m confused.)

Yogislavia has basically been torn apart. Once Zagreb is taken all effective military resistance should cease.

(LOL at MS Word grammar check here. If I write all effective it wants to change it to all-effective, if I write all-effective it wants to change it back…stupid)

Meanwhile, in Africa…we get surprised by a large British counterattack at Aswan. Luckily our forces are able to launch spoiling attacks which end in the British falling back, even though we did get defeated at Aswan.

Back to Europe…we are forced to give up the assault on Zagreb for the time being. I guess we’ll have to wait for the German’s help, as much as it pains Il Duce to admit defeat. The next few days are very boring as the Dubrovnik pocket is reduced. There has been significantly less naval traffic in the Mediterranean since the fall of Suez so our Naval Bombers are transferred to convoy bombing duty. Hopefully we can cut off supplies to the Allies on Sardinia.

It took a while, but on January the 16th the Germans attack Zagreb and we go along for the ride. Outnumbered 5 to 1, even the frozen conditions can’t save the defenders and the last key city in Yogislavia is ours. In other news, the Allies seem to have abandoned Sardinia. Luckily we have troops on standby to take advantage and the island is finally back where it belongs. The next target: Crete. Scouts report that it is undefended.

On January 26th, our Mountaineers commanded by General ‘Ranger Smith’ take the last important Yogislav territory and we officially annex them. I guess they weren’t smarter than the average bear…er, person. Next stop: Grease.

The Mediterranean seems clear and Il Duce’s empire is growing. We all know what comes next. See you next morning, provided I survive the night…

To be continued…

Techs completed in this part:

Basic Motorized Division
Improved Infantry Division
Ship Assembly Line

Techs ongoing after this part:

Improved Light Carrier
Improved Motorized Division
Subsidiary Carrier Role Doctrine
Aircraft Assembly Line
Improved Interceptor

Yes, you read that right. I now have 5 tech teams. Whoop!

This turned out better than expected overall, thanks to the odd thing where the Axis minors would transfer their conquests to me. I guess it had something to do with them being controlled by Germany. One more funny thing, in the time for the Germans to reach Zagreb, my Mountaineers managed to cross Split, that province northwest of Split and finally Zagreb. Goes to show how much a little extra hill speed can do.

See you next time!

Good update, now it`s Grease time! ;)

Thanks guys!

General Jac: Yep! :)

lifeless: I can't as Bulgaria joined the Axis within a day of me declaring on Yugo...Yogislavia. I think they're coded to do that or something.

Tribolute: Sorry, but I don't think I'd be able to release them even if I wanted to seeing as we share cores.

Finally, I am announcing that I have had my idea for my third AAR, which is now in the planning stages and may end up running concurrently with this one. It will be a USA '36, but with a twist. All I will tell you for now is that it will be called 'The Second Amendment'.

Nice short update this time. Here you go!

An Empire Like No Other

Part Nine:

Blinking awake, I find myself sprawled across our great leaders latest works.

ita65aq8.jpg

I think he just put down what we were all thinking. With the Allies almost entirely gone from the Mediterranean they have no chance.

With that out of the way, I manage to stumble back to the war room and start ordering around units. The force that retook Sardinia is to be deployed in an attack against Cyprus. Meanwhile a division of troops will be brought up to guard Sardinia from further attacks. However, as the fleet leaves Sardinia they bump into not one but two British fleets consecutively. The British both retreat in a matter of hours, inflicting minimal damage and becoming prime targets for our bombers.

In Yogislavia, nine divisions are dispersed around the countryside to handle any partisan activities until properly trained Garrisons can arrive. Almost all other forces are deployed to the Greak border, except our Mountaineers, now renamed the ‘Ranger Smith Corps’. They are sent to Taranto, the perfect place to launch a surprise attack.

On the 1st of February work begins on a new class of warship, the CVL. Two are expected to be completed by the end of this year to act as support craft for our almighty battleships. Naturally Il Duce grumbled about them for a while but we were able to sway him to our point of view.

Suddenly, on February 4th there is a big shock to our diplomatic corps.

ita66iz0.jpg

The Japanese, apparently satisfied with their successes in China decide to expand the war to the Pacific. (And very early too! Normally I only see them attack in late ‘41). This is good, as it means British forces will be diverted to Asia, but it is also bad as it means that the Americans are likely to join the war on the side of the enemy. Later that day Cyprus is taken and the troops used are moved to Rhodes to be ready to surprise the Greaks.

Suddenly, just a few days after their declaration of war on the Allies…

ita67zh7.jpg

The Chinese surrender to Japan, having been thoroughly beaten. Japan installs a puppet government after ‘disposing’ of Chiang.

On the 9th, in the midst of preparations to invade Grease, the foolish British attempt an invasion of Libya. The forces previously headed for Rhodes are diverted to deal with this nuisance. On the 13th, the attack begins.

ita68wj4.jpg

Foolish Brits! This will teach you not to mess with us! The battle lasts for almost two days but we win out in the end and score a bumper haul of Allied prisoners. Suddenly we realise we made a massive faux pas in the deployment of troops on the Greak border. Il Duce was obviously displeased, and when I say displeased I mean he summarily executed two of the war coordinators.

(Actually I only just noticed the redistribution of VPs for Greece in DD as opposed to vanilla HOI2, so I adjusted my forces to take full advantage of this)

While plans are made and stuff is deployed, we set about working on the elimination of the remaining British capacity in the Mediterranean. A large number of Transport flotillas along with one Heavy Cruiser, one Light Carrier and a few Destroyer groups are destroyed. The hope is to prevent the British attempting any more landings like the one earlier this month. On the 3rd of March, however, the Brits continue to demonstrate their tenacity as the same province is taken once again. A small force of tanks appears and takes the region. Luckily it isn’t much of a threat and is easily disposed of.

Our plans finally come to fruition on the 4th!

ita69qt7.jpg

Our plans for this attack. Once both Athens, their capital, and Salonika, their main bastion of defence, fall, they should give up. Edessa is easily taken and our amphibious landing at Patras goes according to plan, despite the interference of the (now ex) Greak Navy.

With forces prepared landed we withdraw the navy to intercept an American naval force spotted in the region. What we didn’t expect was the biggest naval battle of our war so far.

ita70of6.jpg

Both sides take heavy damage, but the Americans retreat. Both the Primary and Secondary Fleets are now converging on their location in the hope of scoring a decisive victory. Meanwhile, we manage to drive the Greaks out of their fortifications in Salonika. Victory is within sight as our southern force continues the drive into Corinthe towards Athens.

Our forces catch up with Americans and the USS New Mexico is sunk in the ensuing battle. We intend to make the Americans pay for entering our waters and continue to hound their weary fleet. Unfortunately an American Carrier Group appears and holds us up long enough for the beleaguered American forces to escape. To bad, we’ll have to deal with them later.

Meanwhile, in Africa, a plan is put in motion to cut off several enemy divisions in Qusayr by taking Wadi Halfa.

Back in Grease, we launch an assault on Athens on the 12th and achieve victory in the city within a day. Once we consolidate our control, the Greaks should surrender. And on the 16th, after one of the shortest campaigns in European history, the Greeks surrender. Once again the ‘Ranger Smith’ Mountaineer Corps proves its worth by being the first to march into Athens.

ita71yo5.jpg

With Grease under our control, there is no further place to expand in this sea. Now we must turn our attention east. To Asia!

To be continued…

Techs completed in this part:

Improved CVL
Improved Motorised Division

Techs ongoing after this part:

Improved Naval Bomber
Infrastructure Destruction Doctrine
Subsidiary Carrier Role Doctrine
Aircraft Assembly Line
Improved Interceptor

Well, a couple of surprises here. First the early Jap declaration of war and then the new set-up of Greek VPs. I was also pleased with the destruction of an American BB and the crippling of two others, even though it did cost me some damage to my own fleets.

Oh yeah, and sorry I didn’t make any Grease jokes. I wanted to get this done quickly and just couldn’t think of any.

See you next time!

Wait, I'm confused. You hold Suez. You hold Malaga. Have you not been able to take Gibraltar yet? I had assumed you had closed the Med and wondered how an American fleet could get into your lake.

Vann

Vann- Originally I had three divisions in Malaga ready to take Suez, but the Brits moved an extra defender in just before my DOW so I couldn't take it. By the time I brought up reinforcement sthe AI had stacked so many divisions in there that it would be impossible to take without getting Spain into the Axis. I did mention this in an earlier update.

As I suspected, I was merely confused. I do remember those details now that you mention it. Mayhaps you'll get lucky and the AI will move some of those troops out. A closed Med would be good.

Vann

Now the allies will have another mad man(Tojo) to think about :D

Your AAR turns in a pleased way. Unsuspecting moving, not by you yet, funny japs and interventionist USA. Did USA be in part of Allies? Because what they doing in Med. How they go with dow? I just saw Japan dow them, so Japan is a part of Axies?

I like your style. Your AAR is obviously far more detailed on a tactical level then my own. It makes for interesting reading. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you handle Gibralter. Maybe you can build an airfield in the neigboring province and bomb their fortifications and then interdict? It would require a massive troop build up to actually take it, but I would predict that if you don't get the Mediterranean closed you're doomed.

DOWing your spainish buddies might even be preferable to waiting to close the med.

*subscribed*