• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sybot

Colonel
78 Badges
Feb 15, 2006
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
Hello, and welcome to my latest AAR! A couple of important points before we begin:

-This is played with Miscmods 0.77 in the Shattered Europe scenario, which is why nations and pre-1399 historical events aren’t the same as normal. I also have the Colony Name Change Mod installed.
-I have played a hands-off game (as Hawaii) until 1750. The reason for this is that this is usually when the colonial nations start to appear. They can appear earlier, but that depends on almost complete colonisation of the Americas, which the AI isn’t too good at.
-This is isn’t the exact outcome from the hands-off section as I have made a number of edits to ensure a smoother looking world.

The purpose of this AAR is to show an often unseen aspect of Miscmods, that being the colonial revolt system, as well as to carve out an empire in the last years of the game. I hope you enjoy!

Oceans Apart: The Brazilian Revolution
Prologue: The World in 1750

SNLP5.png

As the world entered the second half of the 18th Century, European domination seemed unbreakable. In America and Jadakal the last natives were making their final stand while the first tendrils of western influence were snaking their way into Asia. With the Imperial bloc dominating the continent itself, European hegemony seemed all but assured to those who led it.

cChl5.jpg

Iberia

The French Reconquista was a moderate success, as the lands of Zaragoza had been brought back into the Christian fold. Despite all the strength of France however, the rest of the peninsula remained Muslim. Apart from Granada the remaining Emirs were broken and scattered along the coasts and were only saved by the lessening of religious fervour in the previous century.

BZLoo.jpg

France

Of all the states of the shattered nation of France, Burgundy was the one to achieve supremacy. With its position in the Holy Roman Empire to protect it from the machinations of the other French nobles it was able to unify and ultimately reforge the Kingdom of France. From a position of absolute authority, Queen Marie II plotted to see French dominance of Western Europe continue.

9aIbR.jpg

Britain

For a long time, the Isles were under occupation from Genoa. However Great Britain eventually gained its own independence and began working to unite the Isles. Norweigian occupation of Scotland and French incursions in Ireland hindered these efforts.

GwmSK.jpg

The Holy Roman Empire

With Burgundian France guarding the west flank and the Bohemian Empire the east, the states of the Holy Roman Empire were left in peace to conduct their internal squabbles. As of 1750 Switzerland and Brandenburg were dominant but with the ebb and flow of history that could change at any moment.

jG1d3.jpg

Italy

The Kingdom of Naples ruled most of Italy outside of the Holy Roman Empire. The Pope had been in exile in Bremen for many years and as a result when he was restored to Rome he brought German culture with him, isolating the city from the rest of Italy.

eowyX.jpg

The Balkans

A resurgent Byzantine Empire was brought about after Naples succeeded in driving the Turk from Greece. In 1750 they were on the verge of retaking Constatinople. The Turks were not ready to give up without a fight, but the Greeks had significant support from the immeasurably wealth Dutch. In an amusing side note, the island of Rhodes had come under the control of a radical democracy that claimed it was the rightful state of Greece. Naturally everyone ignored it.

JAG4d.jpg

Scandinavia

The Danes were able to unify Scandinavia after driving out Prussian invaders in Sweden and Finland. Unfortunately, the Swedes and Norwegians were not happy with the arrangement and began to tear the kingdom apart.

AxRoE.jpg

Russia

The tribes of the Golden Horde and Qasim Khanate ran rampant across the Russian region for two centuries before the combined efforts of Bohemia and Prussia brought them to heel. However while Bohemia continued east to carve out the mighty Bohemian Empire, Prussia ultimately collapsed and lost its Russian lands leading to the re-emergence of Russian states of which Novgorod was by far the strongest.

P18MR.jpg

The Middle East

This land remained in turmoil and constant upheaval even as the Era of Nations began, with only Persia in the east and the Ottomans in the north as bastions of stability in the Muslim region.

wd7CX.jpg

India

India had been dominated by many nations over the years, with the Bihari Kingdom being the latest. However they were now under serious pressure from Baluchis trying the keep ahead of the expanding Persians and greedy Europeans seeking wealth along the coasts.

zfPGO.jpg

China

The Ming dynasty ultimately collapsed in the 17th Century and as the years rolled on they faced increasing losses to the Manchu and the Vietnamese. It was only a matter of time before they were obliterated.

8KY5f.jpg

Oceania

This was a predominantly Dutch colony, although the French had a stake in the south island of the land known as New Zeeland.

PMfwu.jpg

America

Several nations had major stakes in the lands of America. France controlled the east coast, while Britain ruled Florida, and Genoa and Ireland shared the northern regions. However, in the long term the biggest winner appeared to be the Dutch colonists filtering up from Mexico who were systematically moving further inland. On the Pacific coast Genoa managed to secure most of the land thanks to moving its administration to the New World.

j3D0h.jpg

Mexico and Caribbean

The wealth of Mexico was firmly under Dutch control, but the plantations of the Caribbean were far more diverse in ownership. In Belize the Genoese government-in-exile worked to expand its colonial empire. The population was beginning to drift away from dreams of reclaiming their home city in Liguria however.

dK6TT.jpg

Jadakal

Jadakal was given its name by Sevillan explorers who were the first to discover the New World, while Christian Europeans preferred the name America taken from one of their later expeditions. In the end Jadakal became the accepted name for the southern half while America became the name for the north. Here, the Dutch and Milanese were the strongest with smaller presences from France, Naples and the Muslims of Castille and Zaragoza. Like Genoa, both Zaragoza and Milan had established their administrations in the New World, although unlike Genoa both still had holdings in Europe that dominated politics and alienated the locals.

While European dominance continued, events were already beginning to transpire that would shake the very foundation of their hegemony and change the face of the world forever. The Age of Revolution was beginning.

To be continued…

Apologies if this is a little short on detail in the revolts and so on but I didn’t know which nation I would be playing until the first declaration of independence. So unless I wanted to take pictures of every single revolt in the Americas it wasn’t possible to track the battles directly.

Chapter One: Dawn of Revolution

HNh2j.jpg

It began in Florida. The British, seeking to undermine the French colonial administration further north, acknowledged the existence of the independence movements that were beginning to spring up in America and Jadakal. This was the sparking point that set it all in motion.

(This event fires after 1750, or earlier if American colonisation has been especially successful. It enables all the subsequent events.)

i0EYX.jpg

Naturally, I and my cohorts acted quickly. We spread the word and began organising the people. While demarcations on the map divided the lands of Brazil between France and Milan, trade and emigration had mingled the two colonial populations to the point that we considered one another more Brazilian than French or Italian. The British statement finally emboldened the people to express this sentiment in the open.

(This event fires in different regions to give culture and cores to the area for the colonial nations. It’s a little bit restrictive unfortunately (not taking national/cultural/religious borders into account for example), but getting around that would make the system exponentially more complex.)

2HAV7.jpg

It didn’t take long for the oppressors to respond. Milan cut trade links with any city that declared itself Brazilian and sent in the army to enforce this. This brought about open revolt as we took arms against them.

tJfr8.jpg

Meanwhile the French refused to negotiate with the Brazilians on their side of the border.

3u8Y5.jpg

They even sent the army to put down protests against excessive taxation.

(Events like these cause colonial revolts or damage the reputation of the European nation if it picks the wrong options (which the AI usually does).)

PYuQ0.jpg

The French continued their expansion deeper into the interior of Jadakal, but many of the colonists were Brazilian who quickly brought the new towns into the independence movement.

(This is to prevent colonial cultures that appear in empty provinces from disappearing due to the colonising culture-flip. It flips the culture to whichever colonial nation has a core and jumps the colony all the way to city.)

R1VPg.jpg

Reports continued to come in of the rise of independence movements elsewhere in the New World. As well as Haiti and Peru, Quebec and Paraguay also began their quests. We wished luck to these heroes, but we were too occupied fighting the occupiers in our own struggle.

0zFXX.jpg

Our revolution spread across northern Brazil, bringing more and more people into the fold as it brushed aside the meagre garrison forces the unsuspecting Europeans had placed to stop us.

VlyfC.jpg

Meanwhile the British finally got their wish as the wealthy colonies of the American East Coast rose up against France, although they were irritated that some of their own colonies joined in the fight. A man named Gérard Washington proclaimed that republican ideals will guide “les Etats-Unis d'Amérique” as it strives for freedom for all men. I was surprised by such naivety, especially as he was going against the strongest power in the world. Nonetheless I wished him luck.

hoTXT.jpg

Even the Muslims got in on the action as the people of Chile, or Jidligrib as they preferred to be known, began to seek independence.

(Jidligrib is the only unusual nation to appear so far, but that’s because Muslim colonisation of the New World didn’t get very far in this game. Every region besides the USA East Coast has at least two different nations that can appear in it depending on differences like culture and religion.)

eN5fV.jpg

With the immediate area secured, I was confident that it was time. On November 6th 1753, Brazil officially declared independence. Everything that I had worked for had finally come to fruition. It was far from over though as we still had counterattacking forces from France and Milan to contend with. Unlike that fool Washington, I saw no sense in letting the common man rule when the very future was at stake. Thusly I, Massimilano Bernades, did what needed to be done.

hK9SB.jpg

The Kingdom of Brazil was ready to claim its place in the world, and I would be the one to lead it there.

To be continued…

Yes! Brazil has a fantastically interesting history, and it's sad that you never have enough time to play the Latin American countries during one of the most important points in their history.

Merrick Chance: Well, it’s not going to be the same history as real life. :p I would like a Paradox-type game set in the era of colonial revolutions though. I don’t think EU3 can quite simulate it right (especially when you need a mod to get an outcome remotely resembling real life).
Valiant Hogers The most impressive thing about the Dutch Empire is that I didn’t have to edit much about it to get it that way. My biggest edits were France related to make their colonial empire less disjointed and their European territory properly unified.
Aliasing, il_loco, Dogia: Thanks!
ddudee: Making the Americas free from Europe will definitely be a goal once we’ve secured our freedom.
HMAS-Nameless: Correct. Besides the ones mentioned at the top of the first post, I have made several minor modifications for consistency (making Brazilian names Italian instead of Portuguese for example).

Thank you all for the replies!

Chapter Two: The Counterattack Comes

aAJTa.jpg

Revolutionary fervour was sweeping our nation as young men rushed in droves to sign up for the independence movement. Without such a boost we would have had no chance of standing up to the European counterattacks.

(This is a nice bonus to colonial revolters to give them a chance against entrenched Europeans. It isn’t permanent though, so once the war is over the new nations have deal with manpower and military costs like any other.)

DuPLA.jpg

With the security of my temporary capital in Nuovo Lazio secured I began to establish the beginnings of the nation. Having all our national resources focused on the army was all well and good for now, but we had to be prepared for after the war was over. As such I established a cabinet to guide me and laid the groundwork for our economic policies, as well as providing the military with everything it needed to prosecute the war. At the time I was in control of the nation as little more than a despot, but that was the price of the crisis.

acCI3.jpg

I was relieved to hear that we were not alone in our struggle. A number of anti-French powers in Europe offered to fund the revolution as long as we kept the French juggernaut’s armies away from their lands. Despite knowing the selfish reasons, I accepted to offers gladly.

dBeJ4.jpg

The state of the war was starting to deteriorate after the initial successes of independence. The French had managed to retain a foothold in the loyalist stronghold of Siarat and were using it to land more soldiers and strike at the northern regions of the nation. Even Nuovo Lazio was in danger.

j7LV2.jpg

The situation was not so dire in the south. The Milanese had managed to muster a decent-sized army to deal with our uprising but it comprised almost all of their available forces in Brazil. With rebellions in Colombia and a war with Switzerland in Europe still ongoing, if this counterattack failed they would be in a bad position.

ukrhk.jpg

Ka0NB.jpg

The first goal was to give our nation a bit more breathing room. Striking at the lightly defended Milanese enclave was perfect to allow supplies to travel along the coast. I ordered General Melo, my right-hand-man, to march south with the bulk of the Brazilian army and link up with General Pedroso’s southern army before crushing the Milanese invasion. For the time being the remaining armies would do their best to hold out against the French.

ZLsPS.jpg

With the supply lines to the south open, we were able to begin shipping arms to the rebels in southern Brazil. The word went out that the Brazilian Revolution was only just beginning!

(This event is triggered by colonial nations in revolution. It can cause a OPM colonial revolt to chain reaction into a massive uprising.)

Iy6r2.jpg

The results were even greater than I imagined. The call not only affected our brethren further south, but it was also enough to get the French loyalist strongholds to rise up and overthrow their colonial governors. Even though they had forsaken us in the initial revolution I was more than willing to offer forgiveness if it removed the French ports.

(The European nation can accept the revolution and give up land, but it doesn’t really make much story sense if they are already at war with the revolter. Then again it might be better than the alternative…)

lJInq.jpg

In the south our weapons were enough to finally bring about a general uprising of Brazilians against the Milanese. The Doge (Milan is a Republican Dictatorship) refused to acknowledge the people’s grievances and a result he was rewarded with tens of thousands of angry patriots rising up on his very doorstep. With most of his army in Brazilian territory there was nothing he could do to stop them.

(…the alternative being this. What you can only see the edge of is every single Brazilian-culture province Milan owns in revolt. A human might be able to salvage this, but the AI not so much.)

eAWiP.jpg

The Milanese army was defeated, although General Pedroso took command and made a series of blunders that lead to heavy causalities as flanks were exposed to the numerous Milanese cavalry. While we needed every commander we could get, I made sure to have him removed from frontline duty. In other good news, the Swiss achieved a major victory over Milan causing them to lose even more European territory.

x8N0w.jpg

General Melo led the army in pursuit of the retreating enemy into Isolas, but when he got there he found only a few regiments of very smug militiamen. Apparently they had forced the Milanese that outnumbered them to surrender by demonstrating that the general population had turned against them, leaving them nowhere to run.

9jtLv.jpg

To make matters worse, word came that the Milanese capital of San Vito was now in the hands of Brazilian patriots. The Doge was nowhere to be found and assumed to be in hiding somewhere in the countryside where some loyalists still remained.

96F4q.jpg

The Milanese front was effectively closed for now, so I ordered Melo to return to the capital and prepare to strike at the French who were still trying to recover from the betrayal of their strongholds. They had managed to seize Granfiume del Nor and were using it to bring in even more soldiers. It was lucky that they were more concerned with dealing with traitors than dealing with me, as with their force they probably could have struck directly at Nuovo Lazio and had my head on a platter.

FJ06v.jpg

The fortifications that France had built in its territory were working against it as they now had to batter down the walls themselves. While they did that our forces could strike at their advance armies that were deeper inland. General Melo managed to catch the largest of these and force it to retreat westwards.

eCR0d.jpg

With the French continuing to mass, my cabinet was becoming increasingly worried about what would happen without a proper line of succession. To assuage these fears I declared that my son Francesco would be the next King if I was to die. There were many in Brazil that looked to the old European monarchies with some nostalgia after experiencing the corrupt ‘republic’ that Milan was. The republican faction remained strong despite this and there were many complaints that I was setting up for an absolute dictatorship like France.

6si3j.jpg

Their complaints were a non-issue in the face of my real enemies. At this point the French had massed fifty thousand men along the coast; while we had maybe two-thirds of that and our manpower reserves were depleted after the past year’s fighting. The first anniversary of independence passed with little celebration as there was still a lot more work to be done.

To be continued…

Aliasing: I don’t blame them, it’s what I’d do if I was them. Of course I’m not them so I’ll do everything I can to keep them out. :p
il_loco: I’d like to do that, but engaging their largest stacks would probably deplete my forces too much considering my manpower state.
Selvetrica, sprites: Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

Chapter Three: Grasping Freedom

c6PVX.jpg

The army was in a severe state of depletion following the last offensive against France. I ordered them to hold their ground and not engage the French directly until we could replenish with fresh troops. The question was whether we could last that long as more and more Frenchmen arrived on our shores.

grEiP.jpg

Luckily for us, the French were just as concerned about the uprisings in America and were eager to get out of the war with just a token concession by us. However, the mouth of the Amazon was too big a prize for my stubborn pride to give up even if it meant closing the northern front. The war continued.

z5zRl.jpg

After several months of stalemate we were able to drive the French from Siarat and save the fortress which was on the verge of falling. We still lacked the forces to strike at the more plentiful forces further along the coast.

cEYbt.jpg

Finally, the French seemed to have had enough of the stalemate and began to drive inland to take out the 4th Colonial Army under General Melo. He was forced to abandon his cannon as he retreated in order to escape the advancing French. On top of that even more reinforcements were on the way. If this continued we would have no choice but to retreat as the French advanced on the capital. The urging from my cabinet finally became enough for me to swallow my pride.

5mx1o.jpg

The Amazon was surrendered and reperations paid to France, but it effectively secured our freedom as Milan was in no shape to oppose us unlike France. I vowed to myself that we would not abandon them completely though.

gkVqm.jpg

Elsewhere the spreading of separatist sentiment continued. Huge areas of the New World now considered themselves as nations under occupation. Texas, Mexico and Colombia were the latest to join the fight.

(A note on colonial cultures. There are three (technically four, but one hardly ever shows up) culture-groups which are: Colonialist (nations that were French/British in real life), Mestizo (nations that were Spanish/Portuguese) and Ummat al-Mu'minin (Muslim nations from the Hohenzollern LP).)

xIkSR.jpg

I ordered General Melo to immediately turn around and march into Milanese territory to support our brothers there.

ZJb0R.jpg

Our victory over the Milanese army had broken them, and so the patriots now swarming their lands were easily able to handle the rest. Already the lands were pledging their allegiance to Brazil-to me.

oSe0p.jpg

The investigation of San Vito had turned up no sign of the Doge, and the truth was confirmed when word came from Europe. He had somehow slipped away to Verona and was even now rallying his European allies to retake lands he considered his own.

PkCSJ.jpg

He had assembled a dangerous selection of allies including powers like Britain and Scandinavia. Already British ships were beginning to blockade Brazil’s newly acquired ports and I was being forced to consider making concessions to secure our freedom.

Vw6MO.jpg

The people were already getting restless as the weight of the taxes I was forced to impose to fund the war effort ate into their livelihoods. After a major revolt in San Vito I had no choice but to end the war taxes and disband a good portion of the army to make up for the lost income. There were also numerous small republican uprisings that were much more harshly dealt with.

GUHdL.jpg

We finally gained brothers-in-arms elsewhere as Venezuela became the second nation to declare independence. They too struggled against Milan and caused the Doge to change his tune somewhat as he wanted to devote his allies’ resources to this conflict as well.

RggQS.jpg

In return for retreating from the remaining Milanese lands, they agreed to end the war. Finally we were at peace, and I was confident that the people themselves would deliver the remaining lands into my hands. Finally, Brazil was at peace having won independence with the blood of thousands of patriots.

aeczV.jpg

Almost immediately I sent out a request for an alliance with our brethren in Venezuela that they gladly accepted. Bizarrely Genoa also offered us an alliance despite their being effectively occupiers as well. This was rejected. My final goal was to remove Europe entirely from the New World, and supporting Genoa against those who wished to rise against them would not serve that.

G4kNu.jpg

With peace secured, I made it official. I was the absolute monarch of Brazil and, while there were some democratic systems below me on a regional basis, my word was law throughout the land. This was supported by the vast majority of the nation who revered my success against France and Milan, although some republican elements spread dissent in outlying regions. Perhaps it was starting to get to my head, but at the time I trusted myself, trusted Francesco and trusted my eventual grandchildren to lead the nation to glory.

3BEBz.jpg

I did not have to raise a finger to regain the Amazon as another major uprising lead to the French giving up on the region in light of a major rebellion spreading through Guyana.

(The spreading dissent event can fire more than once, although normally the revolution ends by the time it happens. I just got lucky that it happened again before the next event happened.)

sP4EG.jpg

The Brazilian Revolution was over. I was secure in my place as king and we were ready to begin taking the fight to the rest of the world. It was time to seize my…our place in the sun!

(This event ends the colonial revolution events like spreading dissent and gives a nice little bonus to the revolting nations, which are likely to be struggling with WE and funding issues by now. From now on Brazil acts like any other nation in mechanics. Of course that only applies to us so there should be plenty of other things going on with the other revolters.)

To be continued...

I think you should consider making some events/decisions/buidings raising the ridiculously low manpower and base tax of the American provinces when a nation declares independence. Otherwise you will never dream of matching the Europeans...

ddudee: That shouldn’t be an issue as most of the income at this stage of the game comes from production, which the Americas are overflowing with. Manpower is more of an issue but it can be negated by getting a powerful enough navy.
Selvetrica: Not just yet, but I can assure you there will be Brazilians in Europe before this game is done.

Thanks for the replies!

Chapter Four: Seizing our Place in the Sun

NtaTn.jpg

Amongst the remains of the old Milanese administration we discovered vast sums of wealth, most likely taken away from the people of Brazil over the years. I immediately repatriated the funds and began putting them to work. The poor infrastructure of most of the nation outside of San Vito was the first priority, and constructing a navy to prevent the Europeans from blockading us again was the second.

ZCrhp.jpg

On the other side of the continent our brethren continued crushing the remaining Milanese territories which were in full revolt themselves. There was no need for us to join in at the moment.

EJeKU.jpg

News came from Asia that the Manchu dynasty had declared itself the victor of the long wars between the Chinese states following a major triumph over their Vietnamese rivals. With claims to all of China this state was one for me to keep an eye should I take Brazil into Asia.

xvwVQ.jpg

Continuing the reorganisation of the military I disbanded all of the nations cannon regiments (a bug was preventing me from upgrading them) and placed the army into two forces. The Army of Brazil, led by my old friend General Melo, was to watch the tumultuous border with our new neighbours La Plata, while the Africa Expedition, led by General Viana, I had another purpose in mind for.

NNttq.jpg

Brazil had won independence, but we had not really proven ourselves to the old guard of Europe. It was time to change that. The Mali Empire was involved in yet another conflict with Morocco, granting the perfect chance to carve a Brazilian chunk out of Africa.

(Mali is Muslim, not Pagan. The colonial conquest CB applies to all new world/African tech nations in Miscmods.)

FW95e.jpg

General Viana reported success in the first phase of the plan, which was to seize the former Prussian colony of Gross Friedrichsburg as a supply base. There was no resistance from Malian defenders, confirming that their armies were arrayed in the north against Morocco.

(What happened to this Prussian colony? In Miscmods all African/SE-Asian/Pacific colonies will flip back to a native culture after the colony is completed. This prevents weirdness like all of Africa turning European and allows rebels to flip the colony to local nations.)

Hkold.jpg

The first reinforcements met our expedition in Wolof, where our European weapons proved decisive and absolutely crushed them. The Malians were used to fighting the less-advanced Moroccans, so our strength took them completely off-guard.

3Ofdj.jpg

General Viana then proceeded to cut a swathe of destruction all the way to Timbuktu. However, reaching so far into the heart of Africa was starting to stretch the supply lines and cause increasing casualties to attrition so I decided to end the war and take my prize.

iSRhE.jpg

Included in the land conquered was a major trading port in Gabu and several valuable gold mines further inland. In just one war we had proven that the peoples of the New World could carve out an empire just as well as any European.

(Small amusing note: that province labelled Normandy is their only one. When I edited the hands-off game Normandy was erased, but it looks like I missed one random colony.)

HQjIl.jpg

Among our conquests were a number of slave markets. As many of those who had supported overthrowing our oppressors were once slaves themselves, I agreed to close them down.

886hB.jpg

To the south our brethren in La Plata had achieved enormous success. As well as liberating their own lands they had continued into Paragazzo and taken those as well. This, in my opinion, was going too far. The Paragazzi people had wanted to form their own nation, not once again come under the yoke of a false republic. I immediately began plans to liberate the brave souls, but something else came up even as I was marshalling additional forces.

0GSPe.jpg

Venezuela called us into their war with the oppressors of Milan. Now that Brazil had a fleet of its own I could not let this chance slip by. General Viana and the Africa Expedition were ordered to leave their station in Mali for the moment and sail into Europe itself.

WFIeM.jpg

After securing passage from one of Milan’s Italian rivals, General Viana entered Verona and took the head of Doge personally. I could only wish I had been there myself, but I would have to content myself with the preserved head being delivered. The surviving government members were quickly tracked down and forced to cede all claims to Brazil.

Now, should I hang it over my office in Nuovo Lazio or the old colonial administration building in San Vito…

lI7nX.jpg

Once the fleet had dropped off General Viana back in Africa and returned with my prize, I ordered the immediate invasion of La Plata to liberate Paragazzo. In the meantime I had assembled a second army to support General Melo, the Army of Paragazzo.

FWoNg.jpg

The war was almost disappointingly easy. The La Platan army was deeper in their territory and so was barely able to respond before The Army of Paragazzo had marched into their capital Kelk.

Mbmic.jpg

Paragazzo was liberated into the Kingdom of Brazil. Some might call it hypocrisy, but I’m sure the people of Paragazzo are far happier with Italian-speakers like themselves rather than the Dutch-speakers of La Plata. (Perhaps I should’ve figured out a more appropriate name like with Paragazzo and the Etats-Unis d'Amérique). Less than a decade had passed since independence and we had already won great victories in Europe, Africa and Jadakal. I had proven the nation I had built could fight with its equals. Now it was time to take on the old Great Powers and take our place amongst them.

To be continued…