+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: (MOD) Colony Name Change

(MOD) Colony Name Change

Colony Ingame Name Change Mod 0.59
    For Divine Wind
    Also compatible with HTTT/IN

My experience from playing this game is that I always change the names of colonies as I go along to get a more immersive feel. Though I was always frustrated that the AI cant do the same.

So in this mod the AI will automatically change the names of its colonies in game.

e.g. If AI England colonise Pennacook they will automatically rename it to New Hampshire with the capital being renamed to Portsmouth, or if Portugal colonise it first it will be named Nova Alentejo.

Obviously the human player will be presented with the same choice but has no obligation to change.

Also if colonies are seized they can be renamed once it converts culturally.

Installation wise its only a few files; one localisation and a few event files (25 events) so it can be added to an existing mod which doesn't modify the american province positions. (Event numbers are 3330001-3330024)

Currently the following languages are done:
    -English
    -Spanish
    -Catalan
    -French
    -Portuguese
    -Italian
    -Dutch
    -Swedish
    -German
    -Greek
    -Occitian
    -Hungarian
    -Turkish
    -Scotland English
    -Basque
    -Danish

For the following areas:

NB: Some languages not done for some areas shown.

Comments/suggestions on name choice/grammar welcome as I am no expert on languages!

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20947...e+Mod+0.59.rar

Please be sure to delete the event files from previous versions!

This mod has also been incorporated into the following mods:
    MCP Project
    Death and Taxes
    O.S.C optimum scholarum cogitationis
    SRI-

Here are some screenshots:

Change Log:

----
    -Greek vs Turkish in Greece/Asia Minor (NimbleWright)
    -Portuguese Names improved (th3freakie)
    -Swedish names done for Brazil/Argentina
    -Danish names done for Brazil/Argentina/New Zealand
    -Greek names done for Argentina
    -North West America (Including Russian)
    -Indian Ocean Islands
    -French vs Dutch vs German in Low Countries
    -Finnish in Finland
    -Breton vs French in Brittany
    -Arabic in southern Iberia

Archive
    Version 0.5
    ---------------------------
    In this initial version the thirteen colonies and eastern canada are done for the following cultures:
    -British culture group
    -Castilian/Catalan/Galician/Andalusian (grouped to save time)
    -French culture group
    -Portuguese
    -Italian culture group
    -Dutch/Flemish

Version 0.51
    ---------------------------
    -Finished Ontario/Quebec
    -Carribean
    -Florida/South US
    -Shortened some names that were too long
    -Added more localisation languages

Version 0.52
    ----------------------------
    -Changed structure of events so that there is only one event for each language (now only 8 events, Captain Frakas' Idea)
    -Texas (Thanks OrangeYoshi/Paon)
    -scandanavian language added
    -Corrected many French names (thanks to Guillaume HJ)
    -Changed some New Netherlands settlement names and other ducth names (Thanks Germanos)
    -Tweaked Italian names (Thanks WeissRaben)
    -Reworked New York State (thanks to Guillaume HJ)
    -Some other minor corrections

0.53 (by Trovador)
    ----
    -Changed and corrected some Portuguese names (by Trovador)
    -Added Brazil for English, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, French and Portuguese languages.(by Trovador)
    -Added St Barthélemy

------
    -German language added
    -Hungarian language added (by molace)
    -Guyana and central america added

----
    -Greek language
    -Occitian language (by Trovador)
    -Catalan language (by Cèsar de Quart)
    -Corrected many Spanish names
    -Mexico
    -South Africa
    -Argentina (by Trovador)

----
    -Turkish language (by Tunch Kahn)
    -Improved many German names
    -Finished new Spain
    -California
    -Atlantic Ocean Islands
    -Other Misc Improvements

----
    -Scotland English added
    -Basque Language added
    -German names for argentina (Leviathan07)
    -Dutch names for argentina (DutchEmperor)
    -Spanish Main
    -New Zealand
    -French bug fix
    -Greek names improved (spyroware1)

----
    -Italian Names improved (WeissRaben)
    -German Names improved (mate0815)
    -Danish language split from swedish
    -Australia
    -Celtic vs English in British isles
    -Polish vs German in border regions (e.g. Danzig-Gdnask)

Contributors
    ------------
    Captain Frakas
    OrangeYoshi
    Paon
    Guillaume HJ
    Germanos
    WeissRaben
    Trovador
    [B@W] Abominus
    molace
    Cèsar de Quart
    fireonmyhand
    Junuxx
    Tunch Kahn
    Leviathan07
    quicksabre
    Nimblewright
    Duke of Bavaria
    DutchEmperor
    Spyroware1
    mate0815
    Arakhor
    Tkh
    th3freakie

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20947...e+Mod+0.59.rar
    Last edited by knuckey; 31-10-2011 at 19:43.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Hi, I would like to integrate it into the "Sieg oder Tod!" Mod (german), if you are ok with that.

I can check your german spelling, if you like to .

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Oh my. That's awesome.
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very, awesome, indeed. I've always been annoyed at the names in the new world.

You are welcome to use it, credit would be nice!

However I have not done it in german yet, I wanted to focus on the main colonisers first.
    Although I may add more languages/cultures later on.

Wow! Awesome. Is it compatible with the latest beta patch?

And if you add other cultures in, remember, you're gonna have to do Greek, so us Byzantine players can have our fun colonizing too.

It is compatible with the patches and should be compatible with IN 3.1 onwards as well. If anyone finds otherwise please let me know.

Greek does look a fun language to play with, Néa Athí̱na would be a cool name! Although I would probably do swedish or german first as they are next most likely colonisers.

I was actually thinking about something like this, but it seemed like a lot of work. This looks super-fantastic.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Great stuff!
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

US Secretary of Awesome Yuri_Kenobi's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

This is brilliant! Unfortunately I'm holding off on starting a new EU3 game until DW.

Btw. Making Scandinavian names in Eastern Canada should be easy. Vinland, Markland, Helluland and so on.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Got questions!

Is this based on Culture groups, or specific nations? I can understand separating Portugal/Spain, but for everything else I'd make it by groups, so the mod "works" with any nation, even if the player takes something retarded (like Galicia) and makes it a massive colonizer...

Secondly, which provinces have you worked into this?

Thanks for the interest!

It is based on culture groups, so any iberian country (apart from portugal which has its own group) such as Galicia will rename colonies in spanish.

I have done the british group (so any british country will rename in english), french group, portuguese, italian group and dutch/flemish groups.

So far I have done the original 13 colonies USA and most of eastern Canada. For the next version I am working on finishing Canada and the Carribean. Ultimately I hope to finish the Americas and add more languages such as swedish/german/greek. This takes time however so im focusing on more provinces first.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thanks, will have an eye on the mod .

So, if you need help with german names etc., I'll help you.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sounds fantastic! I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this one, though like some of the other folks here I'm holding off starting a new game until I have my copy of DW.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Looks great! Do you plan on incorporating name changes into provinces in India conquered by Europeans? This would be historical, since the British renamed quite a lot of Indian cities, and then when India gained its independence the Indians changed their names back to what they were originally (example: Mumbai, changed to Bombay, back to Mumbai).
    "When it is dark out, men see stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Could this conceivably be done for the whole world? It'd take much more effort, but I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, would be willing to find names and such. It'd be cool to see Polish Danzig change to Gdansk or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Paon View Post
    Looks great! Do you plan on incorporating name changes into provinces in India conquered by Europeans? This would be historical, since the British renamed quite a lot of Indian cities, and then when India gained its independence the Indians changed their names back to what they were originally (example: Mumbai, changed to Bombay, back to Mumbai).
    Well, that wasn't so much renaming the cities as it was transliterating them. No different, really, than Rome showing up as 'Rome' in english and 'Roma' in Italian, expect that the spelling it a bit more different.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by knuckey View Post
    Thanks for the interest!

It is based on culture groups, so any iberian country (apart from portugal which has its own group) such as Galicia will rename colonies in spanish.

I have done the british group (so any british country will rename in english), french group, portuguese, italian group and dutch/flemish groups.

So far I have done the original 13 colonies USA and most of eastern Canada. For the next version I am working on finishing Canada and the Carribean. Ultimately I hope to finish the Americas and add more languages such as swedish/german/greek. This takes time however so im focusing on more provinces first.
    That's fantastic. I'd offer my help, but I'm useless at coding (have no experience with EU3, lol) and no lingual skills either. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by [B@W] Abominus View Post
    Thanks, will have an eye on the mod .

So, if you need help with german names etc., I'll help you.
    Nice one, when I come to do german I will do

Quote Originally Posted by Artemetis View Post
    Sounds fantastic! I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this one, though like some of the other folks here I'm holding off starting a new game until I have my copy of DW.
    Fair enough, when DW does come out I expect the mod to be compatible straight away, unless they change the event structure massively.

Quote Originally Posted by Paon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jii View Post
    Could this conceivably be done for the whole world? It'd take much more effort, but I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, would be willing to find names and such. It'd be cool to see Polish Danzig change to Gdansk or something.
    These are definitely cool ideas, although i'm concentrating on the colonisable provinces first. This is because these are provinces with the worst names IMO. If anyone has any ideas for the more obscure inland north american provinces that would be helpful as it is hard to come up with names for those. In fact I'll take ideas for any province. It would be fairly simple for anyone to copy the event code and add more names for more provinces and then incorporate it into the mod.

DominusNovus- your right in saying its just transliterating although I think it would add to the immersion of the game if that happened. Its just a low priority for now.

Sqwerlpunk- thanks, enjoy the mod!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, I was playing as Italy and found that the name change for Abnaki was Modena. Perhaps you could change it to Nova Modena to avoid confusion between Modena in Italy?
    "When it is dark out, men see stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast