• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So now I have to keep buying of Gamersgate? This is pathetic.

All games should be boxed copies. I'm so sick of this dependence of downloading.

Gamersgate is a crap website. It has more security features to pay than the White House. It's almost like they don't want your money.

I would be willing to pay a premium price to get boxed copies of every game and expansion.

Don't buy it then, no one is forcing you to, but all our expansions (Victoria Revolutions has the last one sold in a box, I think) have been download only. It might be on other online stores if you prefer them, I just mention GG as I know it'll be sold there.

Also don't triple post, edit your previous one if you have a new thought.

Finally, AFAIK, all the Civ5 DLC has been download only.

GG is a stupid website. They are incompetent in setting up a proper payment system. The Paradox Web Shop is good. Amazon is good.

But now I have all my expansions stuck on there. And stupid Steam won't allow you to add Steam expansions to non-Steam expansions? This is stupid!

Here's a suggestion. Why NOT sell everything from the Paradox Web Shop?

GG is a stupid website. They are incompetent in setting up a proper payment system. The Paradox Web Shop is good. Amazon is good.

But now I have all my expansions stuck on there. And stupid Steam won't allow you to add Steam expansions to non-Steam expansions? This is stupid!

Here's a suggestion. Why NOT sell everything from the Paradox Web Shop?

OK Sam, you've made your point. Please stop repeating it unless you have something new to say.

It doesn't work that way with the expansions. Paradox expansions are treated as DLC by Steam.

I'm pretty sure you could still use the copy-n-paste method the Vicky2 folder after you install the expansion through Steam. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless installing the expansion using Steam mucks things up somehow.

There is quote from frederick somewhere, retail for paradox is miniscule
Paradox box games are trending towards steam activation
Steam requires you to have the base game to buy the expansions....

Im not sure you have been paying attention to recent happenings

You can keep GG installer forever if you wish so. That's why I like GG it is simple and no fancy launcher/patcher or whatever running in the background.
I'll admit I've never used GG before, but, uh, what good is the installer if the company no longer operates servers from which you can download your games?

I'm pretty sure you could still use the copy-n-paste method the Vicky2 folder after you install the expansion through Steam. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless installing the expansion using Steam mucks things up somehow.
Well, I've never bought an expansion on Steam for a game I didn't already have, so I'm no expert, but I do know for a fact that expansions are treated as DLC. Well, expansions that aren't launched separately from the first game (i.e. all Paradox expansions) are treated as DLC, to be more specific. That means they can't be installed individually, you have to install the game they're attached to, and then they install automatically with that game.

This can be seen with, for example, Tropico 3: Absolute Power (its own .exe) vs. EU3: Divine Wind (DLC).

Well you can install the base game, move the folder, then buy the expansion and download it. So you have a copy of the game that doenst have the expansion on it.

I'll admit I've never used GG before, but, uh, what good is the installer if the company no longer operates servers from which you can download your games?
You get an installer, so you don't need a company to operate servers. You can copy the installer to any digital medium (Such a CD) for safe-keeping if you don't trust your computer.

As for the original question "What happens if GG goes bankrupt?", well, what happens if Steam goes bankrupt? AFAIK that'd be worse since many games require Steam to launch the game. GG acts more like a CD that you download.

Well, I've never bought an expansion on Steam for a game I didn't already have, so I'm no expert, but I do know for a fact that expansions are treated as DLC. Well, expansions that aren't launched separately from the first game (i.e. all Paradox expansions) are treated as DLC, to be more specific. That means they can't be installed individually, you have to install the game they're attached to, and then they install automatically with that game.

Ah, okay. It looks like we were talking about two different situations. You're saying that one cannot buy an expansion on Steam without buying the base game, which is true. I was thinking that the poster that you originally referenced was talking about buying both the base game and the expansion on Steam and then copying and pasting the game folder elsewhere and running the game, which I don't see as problematic, but maybe I interpreted their post incorrectly.

Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.
Steam actually does have a system where you can activate a non-steam product (as long as you have the key), but Victoria II isn't on the list. What a shame.

My experience with Steam and Paradox games (though I use Steam for other games) has been bad. I bought V2 with the Old Vic DLC, and I couldn't remove the DLC so I couldn't patch the Steam version without going through a couple loopholes. Of course I just switched to GG and never looked back. GG just downloads the installer for you -- it's like cloud storage for games you've bought, nothing too fancy.

I bought a subsequent copy of V2 on Amazon Download-Only. Will the GG AHD expansion still work?

I imagine that Gamersgate would never be able to suddenly shut down their website and go off the radar to all their customers. Doing so would get lawsuits up the butt with angry gamers demanding their money back.

At the very least Gamersgate would have to give advance notice months ahead so that gamers can download their games. Worst case scenario you go out and buy yourself an external hard drive to store all your former GG on so that even if your PC crashes and loses all your data, you have a backup.

Steam would buy them together with their customers and their games... And everyone would just get borged.

If you bought V2 somewhere besides Steam I don't think you can buy AHD on Steam as it will tell you you need Base V2 to play it. Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.
Steam actually does have a system where you can activate a non-steam product (as long as you have the key), but Victoria II isn't on the list. What a shame.
I don't give much for that feature though, I have tried it for other steam games such as Company of Heroes and support refused to give me an answer to why adding a boxed version CD-key wouldn't work. They even had me attach a photo picture of the CD-key and still kept going on claiming that CD-key was already registered to another totally separate product (long story).

Finally after alot of research I found some information stating that they don't allow this, but rather force gamers to buy the same game again for full price to be able to use it (and expansions) on steam.

I don't give much for that feature though, I have tried it for other steam games such as Company of Heroes and support refused to give me an answer to why adding a boxed version CD-key wouldn't work. They even had me attach a photo picture of the CD-key and still kept going on claiming that CD-key was already registered to another totally separate product (long story).

Finally after alot of research I found some information stating that they don't allow this, but rather force gamers to buy the same game again for full price to be able to use it (and expansions) on steam.

You can add any game on this list. The reason you can't add boxed copies of most games to Steam is because they use different serial codes. Asking them to add Company of Heroes to your account, is literally asking them to give you a free game because the code they give you would be coming out of their pockets.

Reactions:
I bought Vic II on steam. Now i need to buy the expansion on steam, right?
There's still no AHD on Steam, is there no way that a non-Steam AHD will work on Steam V2? Do we really have to wait till AHD arrives on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.