• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
During the reporting for this most recent war I find myself wondering about the legacy of this great German Reich. Will it hold on to gains in Europe? Are the Americas secure? What about the Turks and the near eastern borders? Will Lithuania remian friendly? What about the Italian states and the Pope? I hope you get enough latter day historians to tell us about the aftermath of all that has been effected by this Empire. [Sorry, can't volunteer... :( ]

Well it looks like the French got themselves another bashing before the end , haha , though I suppose I didn't expect much less from the fact that they were so thoroughly defeated last time ! XD

Fb-fb:

Chief Ragusa said:
You go into the batle of Othe outnumbering the French 2:1 and end up being outnumbered 4:1 by the French. This German Chancellor does not believe in using spies to reduce French troop numbers, does he? Yes the French are going to lose, but it is a bloodbath - again.
He may or not believe in using spies, but at the time I admit, I was not quite sure what I was doing with them. Still, I should have taken a few more of them, I'd think.

Lordban said:
Maybe the last bloodbath before the curtain falls, but a bloodbath indeed. Twenty thousand reserve troops called in three months - and many more casualties which weren't compensated. I'll take a look at the unit types which are involved on your side - the massive casualties you take have to come from somewhere, and, interestingly enough, you're taking them both against French cavalry and infantry - in both cases their shock and fire best yours. I have a strong suspicion your unit types cause more morale loss and less actual damage than theirs, explaining how you can end up outnumbered like you were at Othe and still demoralize the enemy.
I think you might be right there. I think their leaders have a bit to do with it as well. And it was a defensive battle on my part, so that helped me I'd think.

Lord E said:
A bloodbath again, but this will be the last I think. When this war ends I think that there is no power left in Europe or the world that are able to take on the German war machine. I see the French have some new generals, a young Corsican you say then you better watch out or else I might have to regret my words that no one can do something about your world supremacy.

Still it seems like the tide is turning and that you are getting the upper hand in this war also, but like all the wars of the last years it sure has been bloody so I think that your main goal before the game ends should be to make sure your supremacy is not threatened again and destroy France and her fighting power or else I fear that the 1800s might soon be filled with war again and all those Germans gave their life for nothing…

You are getting very close to the end of a great show Coz, wonderful work
I think there will be plenty of war after this, and for various reasons. My trusty guest authors are making sure of that. And Lord E - check your PMs.

Ahura Mazda said:
The maps including Burgundy was veeery good...
Yes, it was nice to finally split them in half. If only I'd made them vassals much earlier. Sigh.

Duke of Wellington said:
Wow that battle of Othe wa quite something. I've never seen the victorious side lose so many before. Would have given me quite a shock
That was pretty amazing, but a victory is a victory, no?

ColossusCrusher said:
This is not a very efficient Germany...that in itself is a paradox...in this case an interactive one.
Good point. Heh.

GhostWriter said:
coz1: ...but not without further heavy casualties.

another bloodbath ! ! :

coz1:
...it would be hard won - make no mistake.

OUCH ! ! :

even so, magnificent updates ! !
Bloody but victorious, for the most part. Still some to go.

Director said:
I expected the French to put up a stuggle in Europe but I was very surprised to see them on the offensive in North America. Have they been building up their colonial forces or have you been limiting yours?
I may have been limiting mine a bit to keep up in Europe, but they'd been busy doing further colonizing whilst I was away and I think they were building up as well. And once again - their superior leadership.

Deus said:
The little but clever Corsican would consern me. He sounds like trouble...
Trouble indeed. I hope that wasn't too on the nose, but thought it fitting to at least set him up. For all I know, he ends up a fisherman after the war. ;)

WhisperingDeath said:
During the reporting for this most recent war I find myself wondering about the legacy of this great German Reich. Will it hold on to gains in Europe? Are the Americas secure? What about the Turks and the near eastern borders? Will Lithuania remian friendly? What about the Italian states and the Pope? I hope you get enough latter day historians to tell us about the aftermath of all that has been effected by this Empire. [Sorry, can't volunteer... :( ]
Oh, that's too bad WD. You've been a constant reader of this since the beginning. Still, I've got some good ones lined up that you good folks should enjoy. And all of them will help answer those questions.

canonized said:
Well it looks like the French got themselves another bashing before the end , haha , though I suppose I didn't expect much less from the fact that they were so thoroughly defeated last time ! XD
Yes, I couldn't leave without having one more good war with them, now could I?

To all - I should have the next update tomorrow and that will take us to the end of 1792. After that, I'll put up a screenie bonanza over the weekend and then next week I'll roll out my own first "look back." And from there...well, look out because I've lined up a top notch set of guests that are the creme de la creme of forumites! I am excited!

Thanks to all of you for your great comments!

Didn't you catch the "paradox...interactive" pun? :p

Always beware of short little Corsicans. :D

France does sound like it has proven unexpectedly tough in the eyes of our narrator.

ColossusCrusher said:
Didn't you catch the "paradox...interactive" pun? :p
Oh, I caught it. Just didn't want to be too on the nose about saying so. ;)

stnylan said:
Always beware of short little Corsicans. :D

France does sound like it has proven unexpectedly tough in the eyes of our narrator.
Indeed...and to be sure. :rofl:

Yes, they've laid down the gauntlet this time round, it seems. I admit, it provided some fun - more than I;d had for a few years actually.

By the way, good readers, I still need some guest author help with Milan/Italy and perhaps Novgorod (Lord E - where are you, sir?)

Just to give you a taste of what is to come, I have the following lined up to give us quite a show - (in alpha order) Amric, canonized, Chief Ragusa, Director, Lordban, & stnylan!!! They'll be covering in no specific order, France, Burgundy, Castile, Aragon, Portugal, Great Britain, Lithuania, the German colonies in North America and the former Ottoman lands.

But I still need some help. I want to try and honor as many folks that have read through this as possible, and the there are plenty of areas left to be covered. Please feel free to PM me and I'll be PMing some of you in the days ahead. ;)

Thanks again to all who have read this and especially to all who have commented. And hey - only a little time left for you lurkers out there. Let me know what you think. :)

GERAvatar.jpg

* * *​

As we moved into the autumn, it was clear that certain reforms were required. Clearly our lines had been breached and I can only blame this on incompetent commanders in the field and lackadaisical troop formation and training. How had our army gone from the finest in Europe to such sloth? I shall never know but there were whispers that our multi-national forces were partially to blame. I can admit, having German Turks fighting in the colonies might have been a bridge too far, but they were at our disposal and we thought it best to keep them farther from home to quell potential unrest. Regardless, in September of 1790 I instituted full military drill for all armies on the mainland, to be followed by programs in all colonies and foreign lands. And it did much to please the Emperor when I reported to him that Orleans had fallen to our armies and it was soon after finally annexed into the Empire.

Orleansannexed.jpg

We were doing our best to hold the line just south of there and supply lines could run more smoothly to assist, I assured him. And we were all very happy to see the tide begin to turn not one month later when the mighty battle for Poitou was won in our favor and the casualty ratio began to even out.

WonBattleofPoitou.jpg

But this same month we received word of the frightful news in New Germany. The French had moved even further towards our holdings and though we would try and relieve Manhattan, it would be a very tough fight.

ForcesinNewGermanyOct1790.jpg

I relented in November to release the 3rd Army Reserves to join the fray in France, hoping to end the war by Christmas and they would find success in joining the Brandenburg Army in mopping up those renegade French soldiers who had harassed our interior.

But the war did not end in December. In truth, our manpower pool was growing thinner by the month and in January, it seemed we required replacements and God knew where we would find these men. I considered a full call up of all able-bodied men between the ages of 16 and 60 but was for one time during my tenure overruled by Emperor Joseph. It would be the last time as he soon took to his bed early each day and the task of running the Empire was now fully in my own hands.

The French did finally surrender in the south by February and the war on the continent looked to be soon over. But the colonies remained troublesome. It would be some time before we had further word, but by May we learned the French had been thrown from Massachusetts. Unfortunately, this had been a far too positive report as in September; we learned that the picture was not so perfect.

Sept1791NewGermany.jpg

At home, there was some respite. As the war appeared to be winding down, we began talks with Charles of Provence and though in June he had rejected a peace, he did relent and accepted to become our vassals and to give over some land in Skane to Lithuania. The French remained too stubborn. With a seesaw war being fought in New Germany, land changing hands near monthly to this upstart French General, I knew the time for peace was at hand. It was either that or risk losing centuries old settlements that were the jewel of the Empire. The meets were long and rarely fruitful, but by late October of 1791, Nicolas did accept handing to us Savoie, Dauphine and Slesvig, that troublesome province that had been the reason for much of our bloodshed, and theirs. Finally, the war was over.

PostWarGermany1791.jpg

It would take much time for the wounds of these past several years worth of war to heal, but with myself at the lead of this great Empire, I have all the faith God could possibly grant me. As I sit here, just barely a year after that blessed ending, I can clearly see the reasons and reward for our struggle, even if some of my compatriots do not. And though the times look to set a new challenge before me, I feel strength in the trust the Emperor affords. From the very beginning, each and every man that has held this post knew that bloodshed and sacrifice was asked - nay required, to forge this great Empire of ours. And I can only hope that in time, the people of this land will see that all I have done, I have done for them and for the God that required this of me. Long live the Empire of Germany, and long live the Emperor who rules her!

HRE1792.jpg

Holy Roman Empire, 1792

Deneke.jpg

Rudolph Deneke

Last edited:
Quite the colossus ;) The peoples of Europe might hope its feet are made of clay, though :)

Three hundred and forty years of history drawing to a close: the advent of the one empire ruling most of Europe, from its humble beginnings as a Brandenburg which could hardly compare with the giants of its time. Your achievements have been impressive, and the tale written by so many great men in the history of the German Empire is just as impressive.

Deneke does start to think about the weaknesses of the day's German Empire, though. The conclusions he'll make after thinking it all over could be most interesting :)

There's no doubt about it - our Philisopher is proud enough to ensure he has a mighty fall.

So awesome! Im going to have to read it from the start again.

Thanks very much to all three of you, especially you germanpeon - you are really going to read it again? Wow! That is quite the compliment!

Screenie bonanza coming up tomorrow, but I did want to offer two other things - when the game ended, I was surprised to find out that my BB was only 16.4 out of 33. Not bad for all that war.

And as a help to see why I may have had such grave losses, take a look at this leader table of the better ones around the world:

Leaders1792.jpg

You can see that France is loaded with them. Ooof!

To all of my guest writers, I have found a save game from just before the end. It isn't playable as it crashes nearly every time I unpause it, but it has allowed me to go in and take more screenies. So if there are any maps, charts, tables or other info you would like, let me know and I'll get them for you.

I am really excited to see what everyone comes up with and from the behind the scenes discussions, it's going to be great. As more of a tease, Lord E and Duke of Wellington have come on board joining Amric, canonized, Chief Ragusa, Director, Lordban and stnylan. And I am working on a couple of more. As I have often said, I have the very best readers in AARland and you are all about to find out that they just happen to be some of the very best writAARs too! :cool:

Thanks to all of you!

The legendery Spartan reformer of Sparta set a maxim for his city: Do not fight too many wars, for you will teach your enemies how to fight.

It does seem like something similar has happened in Germany's case.

The war ends and peace returns to Germany… but for how long?

A very fine tale it has been Coz and I must say that is one impressive and large Empire. This has been a great tale from the start to the end, now I can only hope that the epilogues will be as good as the game has been :)

GERAvatar.jpg

EndofGame.jpg

Holy Roman Empire Electors
HREFinal.jpg

National Stats
NationStats.jpg

Tech Chart
TechChart.jpg

Income
Income.jpg

National Charts
Charts.jpg

Fb-fb:

Lordban said:
Quite the colossus ;) The peoples of Europe might hope its feet are made of clay, though :)

Three hundred and forty years of history drawing to a close: the advent of the one empire ruling most of Europe, from its humble beginnings as a Brandenburg which could hardly compare with the giants of its time. Your achievements have been impressive, and the tale written by so many great men in the history of the German Empire is just as impressive.

Deneke does start to think about the weaknesses of the day's German Empire, though. The conclusions he'll make after thinking it all over could be most interesting :)
Very much so, though I fear Deneke might not be the one telling it. ;)

stnylan said:
There's no doubt about it - our Philisopher is proud enough to ensure he has a mighty fall.
Pride is indeed is undoing...or will be.

germanpeon said:
So awesome! Im going to have to read it from the start again.
Thanks again! I appreciate it very much.

stnylan said:
The legendery Spartan reformer of Sparta set a maxim for his city: Do not fight too many wars, for you will teach your enemies how to fight.

It does seem like something similar has happened in Germany's case.
Oh yes, I think so.

Duke of Wellington said:
Finished up very nicely coz. That is an impressive picture of Europe to look at. It has inspired me to try my and at a Germand state when I next get the time.
It does look pretty, doesn't it. Well, except that French blue to the west.

Lord E said:
The war ends and peace returns to Germany… but for how long?

A very fine tale it has been Coz and I must say that is one impressive and large Empire. This has been a great tale from the start to the end, now I can only hope that the epilogues will be as good as the game has been :)
Indeed, that is the question. And I am quite sure our guest authors will do a bang up job in the telling.

To all - I'll be putting up various screens throughout the day as I gather them. Enjoy! :D

GERAvatar.jpg

The Holy See
TheHolySee.jpg

Religion in Europe
FinalReligionMapEurope.jpg

GERAvatar.jpg

North America
NorthAmerica.jpg

Caribbean
Caribbean.jpg

South America
SouthAmerica.jpg

Gotland and Provence, Europe's technological powerhouses :p
To be honest, I am quite surprised at your being so "backwards" in Production and in Naval tech. The second I can understand, the first comes as a surprise. I had not realized your keeping a decent lead in Land and Government tech had come at such an expense - especially since you're well past the threshold beyond which tech costs don't increase.