• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just got back from my trip and had a chance to read the rest of your story. Mighty impressive coz and a pleasure to read. I admit being surprised at the tough fight the French gave you at the end. :eek: Still you did win in the end. ;) Well done.

Joe

Fb-fb:

WhisperingDeath said:
Such a whistful tone. It seems that the proper statement to the Greater German Nation would have been: "Now, you have an Empire - if you can keep it!"

I look forward to reading about the Revolution and the formation of the German version of the United States (of New Germany?); as well as what happend in the south and east (and even with France).
Yes, I thought that appropriate given the tumult about to face the nation/empire. And your quote is a good one. Very true.

Chief Ragusa said:
General Bening is a tad bitter about something. What, I wonder, is this New Germany?
Likely bitter at having lost so many men over the years for wars that he feels might have been avoided. But then, how would I have sated the bloodlust my readers wish of Germany? ;)

Lordban said:
The mighty stand alone in a world of strangers. Whether they were kind with these strangers contributes to determine whether they were accepted by said strangers.
Quite - it's a whole new world.

GhostWriter said:
coz1: ...I shall finish this work.

and, most excellent, if i do say so ! ! :D

magnificent updates ! ! :)

magnificent AAR ! !
:cool:
Thanks a lot, GhostWriter! I liked that last line on both a story level and a personal one for myself and the many that have come on board to assist.

Lord E said:
A very fine update Coz, very interesting epilogue it sure says a lot, but it also leaves a lot of questions open for further writings from the general and especially from the guest writers. I think I have some ideas about why the Pope fled Rome;) but I guess that will have to wait until the correct moment arrives…
Thank you sir. And it does leave some questions open, doesn't it? Hopefully many will be answered in the pages ahead. :D

Duke of Wellington said:
A fine ending and look back at events Coz. Well done.
Thank you, Duke. Hope many got a kick out hearing some old names and suggestions of some older events. It was fun to weave together (and reread some older posts.)

Storey said:
Just got back from my trip and had a chance to read the rest of your story. Mighty impressive coz and a pleasure to read. I admit being surprised at the tough fight the French gave you at the end. :eek: Still you did win in the end. ;) Well done.

Joe
Hope you had fun on the vacation, Joe. And thank you, sir. I admit also to being surprised at the tough French fight but as you say - I won in the end. But for how long?

And to all - that last question should be answered fairly soon. The first guest author should be strolling along any time now (within the next day or so depending on his RL.) I hope to see these trickle out every few days to give the writers time to incorporate what previous writers have done and make it work together (as well as allow them a chance to do their own projects and inhabit RL.) Make sure to give them the same great welcome you've given me. But knowing who is on tap, I've no doubt they will cause you to read and comment. I am really excited!! :)

Forty Years… After

The student in the third row raised his hand and Professor Doctor Johan Eschbach stifled a sigh. He could see the earnest puzzlement on their thick Deutsch faces, the blank incomprehension that a teacher would actually ask students to do their own research. So many students were here at New Gottingen University because their families wished their sons to sport a prestigious university degree; so few possessed the spark that every good teacher longed to see. For the most part the students came to the University ill-prepared and left it ill-informed, the unbeautiful result of years of hammering from frustrated professors. Still… one had to try, especially if one wished to continue to draw the stipend that made life that tiniest bit more than merely endurable.

“Yes, Wencelaus?”

“I do not understand, Herr Doctor. You ask us to research the fall of the Empire, and yet… the Empire is still there!”

Eschbach did sigh, and half the class ducked their heads. They had seen the oh-so-terrible results of the Professor’s oh-so-quiet fits of irritated pique and they knew what followed: homework, research papers, quizzes, tests! This time he succeeded in surprising them.

“Since we are supposedly in a Political History and Theoretics Class, can someone tell me what day this is? Jules?”

Jules Fremont looked blank for half a second and then stuttered, “Martyrs Day, Monsieur Doctor!”

“Yes. I had, I believed, covered this material in depth sufficient to allow you to derive – with some independent work – some conclusions in regard to our recent history. I see I am mistaken. For the sake of the Martyrs I will – for today only – recapitulate a few of the major points. Do see if you can follow along this time, please.” He settled himself on the corner of the massive, solid and hideously ugly desk. A few eyes went wide: the Herr Doctor never, ever relaxed from his militarily rigid posture.

“Germany grew from roots in Brandenburg and Prussia, absorbing the Hapsburg domains of Austria and spreading over most of central Europe. As with the Roman Empire before it, the Holy Roman Empire – which later became the Empire of Germany – grew in part by force of arms and in part by persuasion. By the end of the 18th Century the writ of the Kaiser ran from the North Sea to the Mediterranean, and from the Rhinelands to Poland and south to Constantinople. It was the mightiest empire on Earth and the Kaiser was the unquestioned heir to the mantle of the Caesars – hence Kaiser, which means Caesar.

“I will now elucidate – again – some reasons why the Empire was not as strong as it appeared. Some of these factors are mutually interdependent in their effects.

“First, the Empire appeared to be a solid political bloc but, as with its Roman predecessor, it was not. The Kaisers had long allowed subject peoples to retain their own culture, language and in most cases their own different churches. This reduced internal unrest, but it enormously complicated the bureaucracy and made any effort at change a complicated and difficult process. The multiplicity of ethnicities also complicated the task of the military. In most cases units were officered by men who had small grasp of their soldiers’ tongues, and stationed in areas foreign to men and officers alike. This reduced efficiency, as was shown in the last great Dynastic Wars with Burgundy and France. The Empire was able to win victories but at a terrible, disproportionate cost in dead and wounded soldiers.

“Secondly, the Empire demanded little from its subject people save some small services and the payment of the Reich Tax. Nationalism – when it did develop – tended to encourage local loyalties, not promote sacrifice for the Imperial throne.

“Third, we can see the Kaisers were always careful to limit their active enemies to certain regions. Greater Lithuania, for one example, was cultivated as a dependable friend and ally. Several Emperors forewent opportunities to meddle in the internal problems of Lithuania, and in return the Empire need maintain no forces in the East. That of course changed with the onset of the Great Troubles in those lands, and meant the Empire must vastly expand its armed forces, construct and improve fortifications along the border, and keep a watchful eye on developments in the East. All of these efforts meant the Empire needed to raise unprecedented amounts of money, and tax rates soared.

“Fourth let us not underestimate the great strain that these developments imposed. The Imperial bureaucracy was accustomed to responding over years with plans that might require decades to develop. Sudden, rapid change made effective response difficult, and the collapse of order in Lithuania deeply frightened the Imperials who knew how similar was their own situation. To speed up response time to local crises, Minister Rudolph Deneke promoted increasing the power of regional governors. These new ‘kinglets’ were not always willing to sacrifice the good of their own regions for the needs of the Imperium.

“Fifth, we should consider our position as colonies. Imperial Germany had acquired a colonial empire almost by accident, certainly not as a result of some grand central scheme. Most of the colonies were promoted by entrepreneurs with a liberal charter granted by the Kaiser, who wanted neither the cost or responsibility of administering such risky enterprises. As a result the Imperial machinery was never able to squeeze much Reich Tax from its colonial possessions, satisfying itself with duties on shipping and agricultural produce from the colonies.

“This period of benign neglect came sharply to an end at the close of the 18th Century just as the other stresses and strains were beginning to tell upon the Empire. Imperial ministers began to realize the colonies were fairly on their way to becoming as populous as the Rhinelands, yet this vast pool was almost untapped for taxes or military manpower. To make matters worse, many of the colonies were founded in large part by religious dissenters, sectarians, political free-thinkers, convicts and radicals of all sorts.

“The history of the Greek city states convinced the Imperial ministers that sufficiently populous colonies would inevitably break with the homeland. To forestall this, and to reinforce loyalties in the welter of cultures that made up the European Imperium, the Kaiser and his ministers began a deliberate program of enforced conformity. Restrictions were tightened: schools were prohibited from teaching any language but German, and all administrative functions were mandated to be carried out in German. Churches across the Empire were ordered closed if they deviated from strict interpretation of Catholic liturgy; priests were exiled, or transferred, monasteries were shut down. An edict was promulgated to require all cultural events to be licensed, and only those deemed properly ‘Imperial’ could pass the bar. This sparked what has been called the 'Second Reformation'.

“Here in New Germany the restrictions were all the more onerous for being imposed so rapidly on a people who had previously known great freedom of thought. Equally hateful were the new imposts, duties and taxes exacted as payment for garrisons of new regiments of troops. Supposedly the depredations of French troops in the last Dynastic War had wakened the Imperial desire to garrison the colonies, but inescapably the colonials could see that soldiers sent for defense could also be used to suppress dissent.

“I shall pass over the events of the Glorious Revolution as we will be covering that in more detail in weeks to come. Suffice it to say that the Massacre of the Martyrs in New Bremen – the Massacre we commemorate on Martyrs Day – sparked the actual onset of hostilities. Soon the Imperial governors realized they could depend not upon the restive colonial, who cited their charters as authority to block every measure intended to tighten Imperial control. Nor, in their extremity, could the governors depend on the scarce, polyglot regiments of the Imperial Army to maintain order without use of deadly force. The colonial militia, it goes without saying, were more a part of the problem than a means of solution.

“Most texts – including yours – will cite the historic meeting of George Waschenburg and Thomas Gottfriedson at Brudersburg as the true beginning of the Revolution. As narrow a victory as was finally won it seems justifiable to say the united effort of the French and Imperial colonies was essential to the victory. Let us also note the generous contributions of the English, without whose loans, powder and – finally – troops, the colonies would certainly have gone down to defeat. They could not have forseen that successful rebellion in New Germany would sweep the English colonies along into the new Union. Nor could anyone have seen what the seeds of rebellion in New Germany would foster when transplanted to Europe!

“Therefore, Wencelaus, I beg to correct your statement. I did not assert the German Empire is entirely gone, only much reduced from its former pre-eminent position. I wish you therefore to fasten upon one of the causes of its decline and elaborate to, oh, let us say twenty pages or so, due next Thursday.” Suppressed groans met this pronouncement. “Come now, I have given you numerous leads. But write small, or I shall reduce your mark!”

He stood and motioned at the brilliant sunshine beyond the open windows. “To show you I am not entirely made of stone I shall dismiss you now. Be certain you all visit the Martyrs’ statue in the grove, to show respect…

“What! You are still here! Begone!” And in a clattering of feet, they went.

Excellent work! And thus we have our 1st guest author:

Director

If you enjoyed the above, which I did greatly, then you should take a look at his current work found in Victoria:

For those interested in reading more, definitely see his History Park series, History Park: Who Wants To Be Napoleon! and HistoryPark: Here There Be Dragons. His signature contains further excellent reading as well.

And Director - first of all, thank you so much for writing for this AAR. A very much appreciate it! Second, that was an excellent retelling of why and how things went the way they did, at least in the revolutionary states. And third - "George Waschenburg and Thomas Gottfriedson"...what, no Johann Adamsee? ;)

Excellent stuff. :cool:

Wencelaus: the living proof of German nationalism and official histories. Such a young man makes one expect ill-inspired revanchist wars and a bloody hundred years before the atom settles some grudges by MAD...

A most interesting and enlightening piece, Director :)

Very fine writing Director. Very cool format to use, I think it worked very well giving the readers (at least it gave me) a sense of being in the classroom listening to the professor as he told the students about the story, very nice work:)
It was cool to see how the colonies broke free, I can’t say I am surprised such events would happen, but still interesting to see that both France and England supported New Germany's fight for freedom, also as Coz pointed out nice names ;)

As Herr Doctor Eschbach was lecturing I was reminded of a scene from the movie "The Paper Chase" (not the television series) when the professor is so dismissive of one of the first year law student's response to a question that he replies: "Here's a dime; go and call your mother and tell her you wont be a lawyer!"

Nice history lesson! I wonder if there was a great and pivitol battle at Saratogastein in upper New Silesia? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your comments, and 'Thank you!' to coz1 for allowing me to play with his toys.

For those who are interested, Professor Johan Eschbach is the central character in three novels by LE Modesitt Jr, the first being 'Of Tangible Ghosts'. All are highly recommended.

Wencelaus is fairly typical of most students I am afraid. ;)

Waschenburg is of course a Germanized Washington and Gottfriedson is a VERY distant form of Godfreyson, or Jeffreyson, or Jefferson. 'Adams' didn't have anything I could work with I'm afraid. :) Of course we all know Washington, Jefferson et al could not exist in this alternate history, given their Anglo-Saxon heritage, but mentioning them did give the reader a 'shorthand' idea of who I was talking about.

As I said to Lordban in a PM I suspect the newly united colonies of New Germany will have a falling out in a century or so as fault-lines develop between the French north, the German southeast and the English middle.

Thank again, coz, for the opportunity, and thank you all for reading AND COMMENTING. :D

Director said:
For those who are interested, Professor Johan Eschbach is the central character in three novels by LE Modesitt Jr, the first being 'Of Tangible Ghosts'. All are highly recommended.

Damn it I knew that! Or at least I knew I'd read that name somewhere but I couldn't for the life of me remember where. :D Excellent post Director. Oh by the way I'm up to page 13 on your Victoria AAR so I'll be commenting soon. ;)

Joe

Wencelaus may be used again in discussing the Greater Lithuania and the troubles in Lithuania. This emphasis on New Gerrmany is most unhealthy.

The Professor's assertion that forts and armies were needed in eastern Germany because of the situation in Lithuania is a well-known slur. The truth is that the forts and armies were staitioned there to suppress the various ethnic minorities in those regions and not to counter any armed thrust by any of the factions in Greater Lithuania. For a more detailed and balanced account of the 40 years 1793-1832, readers are directed to the seminal work of Vytaus Podalitasaus of the University of Vilnius in Old Lithuania.

But did anyone figure out Brudersburg? :D

Hello Storey! Glad to hear you are back from your very well-deserved break. After writing a tornado like the last few decades of 'Three Countries' I'd have needed a month on a beach to recover. Glad to hear you are paying 'Providence' a visit. The opening is dry but the latter parts are moving along acceptably.

Chief Ragusa, how can you say the emphasis on New Germany is unhealthy? Everyone knows the sun both rises and sets there. ;) :p I look forward to hearing from Vytaus Podalitasaus when the translation becomes available. :)

Director said:
But did anyone figure out Brudersburg? :D
Yorktown maybe? I'm afraid you've got me on this one, Director.

Ahh, now that makes more sense. Good catch, Chief.

Well that fell off the 1st page fast. :eek:

The next guest writer should be along any day now. :)

I certainly hope so! I look forward to seeing it.