• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've got a question because I'm curious: what made you guys differentiate strong and weak claims? Was it a spontaneous idea or did it arise from testing or from forum discussions (I remember musing something about that because it mattered to me)? I love it! In fact, I hope you could make something like a rating or grading system, for example percentile.

What are the criteria for strong and weak? Is it e.g. just the passage of time or are claims of younger brothers weaker, claims of cousins even weaker etc.? What about elective monarchs who don't win the election following their usurper's death? (E.g. Count of something is elected King of Denmark, subsequently deposed by a huge duke of Skane, who dies 1 year later, and the rightful king fails to win that election. What about the claims of his children who would've been entitled only to a better shot at election but not directly to the crown like in an hereditary monarchy?) Is there a mechanism in place to detect that a claimant has a better claim than the current holder and modify some things accordingly?

What about prestige/piety for pressing spurious claims and winning? For example, in my current game as Poland, I have a mayor whose dad was a generic baron married to a Princess of France (possibly widowed by someone more important). Suppose if all Capets died and the kingdom became a sultanate, I should get a huge piety/whatever bonus for digging up a forgotten heir, King Arthur style. On the other hand, pressing his claim against the last chain of first sons or first sons of previous kings of France should probably get me excommunicated and DoWed by everybody else than merchant republics, not to mention massive penalties for that new king. I didn't do it but if I did I shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, I think.

strong and weak claims

lets guess ... weak claims is inheriting from one's mother in a normal merriage, and/or fabrications?

If you come from a matrilineal marriage you could still be regarded less than if you had the right dad, at least in terms of dynastic membership (since inheritance is not affected by the patri- or matrilineal type of marriage). Things were not as simple with that in real life as in CK2. There was no such thing as a matrilineal marriage making it okay that your dad was e.g. a lowborn and only your mum was a princess. You needed to be something of a last possible heir to be allowed to adopt the surname along with the lands.

Last edited:
Drooling right now....you guy's made the best strategy game there is and even than you making it even better.I love you so much Paradox.

It should go without saying (but it doesn't, or this thread would suck) that this looks awesome. I love the new UI and color scheme for Muslims, but can I request that you rename Seljuks to Great Seljuk Empire? It just looks so much cooler, plus it would make that huge SELJUKS font smaller. :cool:

Look left. Libya is called Suleyman Its looks really like dynastic country names for muslims :)
Fatimid Caliphate is already in CK II, it's just dormant because they decided to represent it with Egypt instead. I do love the idea of Muslim states being named after their ruling dynasty though. That makes sense.

This is so awesome, although I would have preferred an Orthodox/Byzantine/Latin Empire DLC to come first, just to finish up the work on Christendom.

Are you guys also planning to work / working on the de jure duchies/kingdoms map in the area that stretches from Armenia to Arabia passing through Syria and Mesopotamia now that the muslims become playable? So far it looks so... artificial. I also wonder what kind of muslim empires will there be, I'm so looking forward.

P.S. Also there are several locations wrong, I have spotted a few (e.g. Suwaida - also posted in the bug reports subforum, Kirkuk/Samarra, the very place of Mantzikert and so on) and I am sure more expert people can help with that!

No more marrying my daughter to a Caliph's fourth son to assassinate to my grand child's claim to the Caliphate! Many lives have been saved by this DLC, it's good in the long run....

I already love this expansion and especially the fact that Muslims and Christians will be totally different to play, this was so much better than making them all playable to start with. Actually Orthodox should probably also have been 'cut' in the initial release since they also work a bit differently then catholics and seems a bit dull to play atm.

Also to differentiate between strong and weak claims will make a HUGE difference to how the game is played. I assume that a 'fabricated claim' which is currently overpowered will be considered as 'weak' which will create difficulties for warmongerers 'fabricating' their way through the world.

First thing to do in expansion will be to play Salah ad-Din and kick Crusader ass in the name of Islam :)

I already love this expansion and especially the fact that Muslims and Christians will be totally different to play, this was so much better than making them all playable to start with. Actually Orthodox should probably also have been 'cut' in the initial release since they also work a bit differently then catholics and seems a bit dull to play atm.
I'm inclined to agree with you there (though people would surely have complained were their fabled Greco-Romans not playable) and I'm pretty sure that an Orthodox (specifically Byzantine and Rus') expansion will be next in line.

any chance of seeing some MP features in the patch, like joining games in progress or a better chat-system in MP games?

I'm inclined to agree with you there (though people would surely have complained were their fabled Greco-Romans not playable) and I'm pretty sure that an Orthodox (specifically Byzantine and Rus') expansion will be next in line.

Hopefully many more things of that character will be fixed and added with patches for free.