• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(17563)

Queen of Pink!
Jun 11, 2003
Visit site
BLOOD, TEARS AND ICE --- A Russian AAR

By Lady Europa

This is my first attempt at writing an After Action Report or AAR. So if it’s really bad and unreadable I would like you to say so! In fact the only way a writer can improve is from feedback from the readers. So read up, criticise and enjoy.

Special thanks go to my brother and fellow forumite Dan_3634 for information on Russian life and how to spell all those long names.

And thanks in advance to all those brave souls who take the time to read this.

The scenario I will be playing is the 1419 Grand Campaign controlling Muscovy. Difficulty will be Normal/Normal. Patch 1.07 with the latest betas.

I have decided to write this AAR from a perspective that is the most natural to me, so it will be written from a female point of view. I will use first person perspectives as well as recounts of other people’s actions and finally letters and diary entries. The first person parts will be in white text, the recounting parts in green and the letters in blue from now on. Narration/descriptions will be in italics. Gameplay sections will be in red i.e. out of character references to events happening while I’m playing.

CHARACTERS:
The various Tsars and Tsaritsas. – Beginning with Vasily I and ending with Aleksandr I.

The family of Hartovskiy a noble family trusted by the Tsars to run the country behind the scenes. I will play as the wife of the current prince. Will of course change rapidly as time goes by.
Example:
Prince Dimitri Alexseyvich Hartovskiy
Princess Natalya Feodorovna Hartovskiya (me)

The Wolf family. A minor noble family mainly involved in administration and diplomacy. (jwolf0

If any readers would like to play a part, let me know and I’ll write you in as a diplomat or a general et cetera.

Updates will (my busy life permitting) occur weekly.

So enjoy.

Rebecca

Last edited:
"Hmmmm, Russia, those were the people trying to invade our Sultanate and failed, right?"

Dennis and the cute little black bunny enjoy a cool drink on the white sandy beach on the Island of Socotra.

The cute little black bunny lifts her sunglasses and looks at Dennis.

"Yes, Dennis, they sure could've done with some leadership, and female leadership would have made our lifes so much harder."

"What do you mean, cute little black bunny?" Dennis asks surprised.

"Never mind, Dennis, it would take too long to explain, just be happy we didn't face them."

The sunglasses find their place on the nose of the cute little black bunny as she rests her head back on the deck chair.

"By the way, Dennis, have you spotted a merchantman which can take us away from this island. I enjoy tanning like the next bunny, but this is getting boring."

Good luck, Lady Europa, I'll be reading this one.

CHAPTER ONE

“So It Begins”

Date: January 1st 1419 to December 31st 1419.
Monarch: Vasily I (Vasily Ivanovich Rurikid) Born c. 1389
Current Alliances: None
Current Wars: None
Current provinces: Movska, Nizhny-Novogorod, Vologoda.

JANUARY

I awoke that morning shivering with the cold. Yes the beginning of January is always cold in Moscow especially with the shortage of firewood in the city. I rise and dress, as I am wanted at the palace along with my husband by 8am. For His Majesty is an early riser and likes to start business early. I am Princess Natalya Feodorovna Hartovskiya a trusted advisor to the Grand Prince Vasily along with my Husband Dimitri.

A short walk through the snow and we arrive at the palace. Smoke rises from the chimney and I am delighted to note that the servants have already got the fire going. The guards throw open the doors and we enter the hall. A servant ushers us into the throne room where His Majesty is waiting.

“Ah Dimitri and Natalya! Sit down, sit down” His Majesty greets us.

We sit and my husband opens his carry case for today’s business.

“Your Majesty, we have several things to get through this morning, Firstly our tolerance to the Moslems needs adjusting, as it is too high, for we posses no Moslem lands” Dimitri says.

“Ah yes of course see to it” Vasily orders. Religious slider set to 0 for Moslem religion.

“Secondly our stance towards innovation is holding back our advancement, might I suggest a slight increase there?” Dimitri continues.

“Certainly, we Muscovites cannot fall behind” Vasily One step toward innovative and –1 stability.

“Thirdly I believe that we can no longer afford to pay our annual tribute to The Golden Horde. It is time to end our vassalage with them and besides they are too week to stop us” Dimitri.

“But what of the Boyars? They won’t like that” I say.

“Damm the Boyars to hell! I’m the ruler of Muscovy not them! Send an emissary to the Khan immediately and inform him that we are breaking our ties” Vasily Vassalisation with the Golden horde broken –3 Stability

For several more hours we discussed the state of the nation. Then after a long day we returned home exhausted.

“I really am worried about the state of the finances Natalya we are in the red each month and the treasury isn’t bottomless” Dimitri at the dinner table.

“Well once some merchants are available I’m sure we can earn some money in the trade centre of Novogorod” I reply

We eat in silence the cabbage and turnip soup I prepared then retire to bed. (Hehe I would detail the night but this is a family forum! :D)

The weeks pass in Moscow the snow continues to fall and temperatures stay well below zero.

January 21st 1419

A messenger arrived today from the Prince of Vladimir-Suzdal, Yuri V a relative of His Majesty Vasily I. He sent greetings to his brother and to inform him of his decision to go to war with Novogorod. I quote (GREEN) “My brother we ride today! Against those fat and greedy people the Novogorodians. We wish to re-claim the port of Arkhangelsk that rightfully belongs to Vladimir-Suzdal. Pray for our victory, may it be swift”. I greet this news with a certain amount of trepidation; I doubt our friends in Vladimir-Suzdal have the strength to overcome Novogorod. They may be fat and greedy but they can still fight. I will pray for their victory but I fear it will be in vain.

January 28th 1419

Shocking news! The infidels in the Ottoman Empire have declared war on the Orthodox people. They lay siege to Constantinople. The great city the home of my faith, the one true faith has fallen but twice before to a much stronger foe then the dirty Turk. Emperor Manuel II should prove able to the task of defending the great city. Unfortunately Muscovy is in no position to send any kind of aid, but His Majesty Vasily has asked all the Muscovite people to pray for our brethren of Byzantium.

FEBUARARY

Reports from around Muscovy tell of increased faith in the Monarch and the Government [clor=red]+1 Stability [/color]

MARCH

Reports from around Muscovy tell of increased faith in the Monarch and the Government +1 Stability

APRIL

I awake to find the sun streaming through my window onto my face. Ah spring in Moscow is a wonderful time of the year. The stretch and dress and make my way to the Palace. My husband is already there and is playing a game of Backgammon with the Grand Prince.

“Good morning Natalya” Vasily says.

“Morning Your Majesty” I curtsey and take a seat.

“We have just commissioned 4,000 new soldiers to join the Muscovian Army commanded by Colonel Razanovskiy” Dimitri says.

“All we need now is somebody to use our grand army against” Vasily says and they return to their game”

3,000 new cavalry and 1,000 new infantry making an army of 20,000 stationed in Movska.

MAY

A council of war is held in the Palace

“The time is ripe, Ryazan is unstable and would be an easy target for us” Dimitri says.

“But what of Lithuania they might intervene if they believe we are being to aggressive” Colonel Razanovskiy.

“Bah! They won’t its an isolated war and besides we have a legitimate claim on Ryazan we are after all the heirs to the Princes of Kiev” Dimitri.

“But we don’t have the forces, my troops aren’t ready” The Colonel

“Enough! My mind is made up. Colonel gather your army and march for Ryazan and Victory!” Vasily orders and pumps his fist.

Declaration of war against Ryazan –1 Stability for same faith

At home that night.

“The Colonel insists on waiting in Moscow for the winter and His Majesty will let him.” Dimitri says.

“Is that such a bad thing? Surely the Ryazanians can’t beat our army can they?” I ask.

We are eating the same old thing cabbage and turnips but tonight just a little bit of stewed lamb.

“I hope we can defeat them, but to be on the safe side I want you to leave Moscow tomorrow and go stay with your cousin Irina in Vologoda” Dimitri

“What of you?” I ask

“I will stay here with His Majesty” Dimitri replies.

I clean up the dishes and we retire to bed. The next day I left for Vologoda.

May 12th

The trip here was atrocious! The roads are so bad and the driver drove too fast. My poor back how it aches from all the bumps. But I have arrived safely at the home of my dear cousin Irina and I hope and pray that my visit may be short.

May 21st to 30th

With the army camped outside Moscow

Scouts have reported the approach of my main Ryazan Army well in advance and the soldiers stand at attention. Their red, blue and grey uniforms pressed and their pikes glinting in the morning sun. The Streltsy regiments have trained for this day and they are ready. The Muscovite cavalry mount their horses and wait for the attack.

Then marching can be heard accompanied by drums. The Ryazan crest the hill and form up into attack lines. A brief council is held amongst the various Colonels then the battle begins.

With a war whoop the Ryazan break ranks and swarm towards the Muscovites. At first they bravely hole the line but then as the battle is joined the line suddenly breaks.

“Stand you cowards!” The Colonel yells but it is in vain as the Streltsy the pride of Muscovy throw down their weapons turn and run.

“No!” Shouts the colonel then he and the cavalry break off the engagement and follow the fleeing infantry. They begin a long retreat towards Vologoda.

The Ryazan emissary approaches Moscow.

“Surrender the city and nobody will die” Yells the emissary as he stands by the city gates.

“Never!” Yells back Prince Dimitri who stands on the parapet.

“Then you die!” The emissary then turns and rejoins his army.

Later the catapaults start to pound the walls, and the Ryazan fan out and begin the task of isolating the city form supply. The odd skirmish breaks out in the forests around Moscow as small raiding parties encounter each other in the night.

Prince Dimitri and the Grand Prince Vasily hold a council in the Palace late into the night. The army must relieve the city within the year or all is lost.

JUNE

The people of Muscovy are pleased that Muscovy is trying to expand its territory into Ryazan. +1 Stability

A warm day today here in Vologoda. My cousin and I are taking a walk in the forest outside the city accompanied a servant.

“My dear Irina the countryside is beautiful is it now?” I say

“Yes Natalya it is, but aren’t you worried about your husband?” Irina

“No he can take care of himself, besides I bet our army has routed the enemy and is as we speak sieging Ryazan.” I say

As we walk we can hear the sound of many thousands of men marching. We walk a little further and then a long column of Streltsy come into view. At the front on a white horse is Colonel Razanovskiy.

“Colonel what has happened” I ask

“I am sorry Princess but I have failed” He replies and draws up nest to the two women. “Our army has retreated and Moscow is under siege”.

“But how? We outnumbered them two to one!” I say

“I don’t know how or why it just happened, but I swear I will return once we have refitted” He replies

The army then passed us by and continued into the city. We then returned ourselves and I threw myself into the effort of rasing some new recruits for the army.

JULY

4,000 fresh infantry raised to join the army.

Life is hard here in Vologoda. The city swarms with soldiers. One cannot take a walk without seeing them. And the prostitutes are like flies! I never knew that so many women could be so destitute as to be forced to sell their bodies to survive. I regularly entertain some of the officers at my cousin’s house, one particular colonel has caught my eye as being very competent. Yuri Patrikeev seems to be a young soldier with potential. I think I might write to my husband in besieged Moscow and suggest that he appoint the young Colonel as General of the Army.

AUGUST

The Blacksmiths in Vologoda have been working hard and have discovered an improved metal for our pikes +1 Land Tech

August 9th 1419

In Moscow…

“Your Majesty, I bring grave news” A courier says as he enters the throne room where Prince Dimitri and the sovereign are planning the city defence.

“Lithuania has invaded Tver!”

“Those dogs!” Vasily exclaims and bangs the table knocking an inkpot onto the ground staining his shoes.

“A pen Dimitri, a pen” Vasily says

The Prince hands the excited monarch an new pen and Vasily begins to write

“To His Majesty King Uytautus Didysis of Lithuania. I was shocked and gravely concerned to learn of your war against my brother sate of Tver. That land is Russian and I am Russian and therefore I am their guardian, their protector. Do you wish war with Muscovy? I believe that you are a peaceful man and your war against Tver is at the behest of your generals. Be lenient with my Russian brothers and Muscovy will be forever in your debt, however treat them harshly and you will earn my wrath.

Sincerely

Vasily I Grand Prince by The Grace Of God of Moscow and Vladimir-Suzdal.”

Muscovy warned Lithuania

SEPTEMBER

With the arrival of the new soldiers in Vologoda the people are hopeful that victory can be achieved during the coming winter +1 Stab

September 8th

In Vologoda…

“I’m telling you Colonel to wait until after the winter months have taken their toll on the siege force” I say

“But my Lady, the city may not hold that long” Colonel Razanovskiy argues.

“While the King and my Husband are absent I rule Muscovy and I say we wait” I say and turn my back on the colonel. The Boyars present nod their heads in agreement with me and the colonel reluctantly complies.

September 22nd

In Moscow…

“News your Majesty, Sweden and the rest of the Kalmar Union have declared war on Novogorod” Prince Dimitri reports while reading from a dispatch.

“Ah good news, those fat drunkards deserve it!” Vasily replies and goes back to his book.

OCTOBER

The siege of Moscow continues. Day and night catapault fire reigns down on the city. Houses burn the flames rising high into the sky, at night the city gives of an orange glow that can be seen for miles. Raiding parties from both sides wreck havoc on the surrounding countryside. But food stocks are high and so are the citizen’s spirits. The city will hold

NOVEMBER

A stray cataplault flaming shot landed in the food storage warehouse. The fire was put out but not before many tonnes of supplies were lost. City officials report that the city has food for nine months

DECEMBER

Snow begins to fall in Moscow, the fires go out and the temperature drops

In Moscow…

“Good now they will think twice about an assault on the walls” Dimitri says as he gazes over the city as snow falls.

“Yes the snow is both a blessing and a curse” Vasily replies.

Outside the city the cold is taking its toll on the sieging army. The men cannot stay warm, many loose fingers or toes and many die 2,000 men lost.

Ok did you like it? Too long perhaps? Crappy style? Boring?

Let me know.

Rebecca

Last edited:
Nice start and welcome to the AAR section. The outline is excellent. Should be fun to follow this one.;)

Everything was fine until you spoke of cannons....no cannons in 1419...But the style is nice, the colors are pretty good and easy enough to read. A fine start in your writing overall.

Originally posted by Amric
Everything was fine until you spoke of cannons....no cannons in 1419...But the style is nice, the colors are pretty good and easy enough to read. A fine start in your writing overall.

No cannons?

I'll have to murder my researcher!:eek:

Cannons are gone in with the catapaults!:D

Hmmm, perhaps those attackers were singing in 'canon'

Ok, bad joke...sigh...

And no, I'm not going to comment on your literary liberties. If you want cannons in 1419 you can have cannons in 1419.

It's a pleasant read!

Originally posted by Lady Europa
No cannons?

I'll have to murder my researcher!:eek:
Welcome, and nice start to your AAR. :) The best way to receive feedback is to give feedback to other AARs and respond to those who take the time to comment on your work.

BTW, cannon were in use, so let your researcher live. ;) (Sorry Amric :) ) Try here: http://www.middelaldercentret.dk/english/cannon2.htm

cannon may have been in use in reality, but nobody gets to START with them in the game. That is what I meant actually. I don't discuss them in any of my AARs until I or another nation actually gets to the level of getting cannon.

Don't a few favored nations start the GC with a few cannons -- for example, the Ottomans? Although at tech level 1 they really don't accomplish much, just for show.

M'Lady, you have an excellent start. Well done! If I may be so bold as to offer my services, the family of Ivan Wolf has extensive administrative and diplomatic experience advising the Tsars (see my AAR "Midnight in Moscow" from last spring). So, Ivan Wolf humbly reports for duty!

Originally posted by jwolf

M'Lady, you have an excellent start. Well done! If I may be so bold as to offer my services, the family of Ivan Wolf has extensive administrative and diplomatic experience advising the Tsars (see my AAR "Midnight in Moscow" from last spring). So, Ivan Wolf humbly reports for duty!

I'll consider it:)

Rebecca,

Nice to see you write a story. I like the concept of using different color to separate the different elements, this makes it much easier to read.

Good luck with it. You may find that, once things start to really pick up, that monthly updates are too draining (that's a lot of writing if you make it to 1820! :D ) but for right now it's very enjoyable.

Oh sorry to hear that. It took my ages to put the colors in. For later ones i'll change the orange to blue would that be ok?

This is a very nice approach, easy to follow, and yet still having enough depth. I think I will follow this. :)

Thankyou everyone for being so nice.

I have already played Chapter 2 and it will probably be posted on the weekend.:)