Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 2 - The Tools of War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are those date slots going to be hard-coded, or are they going to vary between nations? It seems a little restrictive that every nation would have a 1936/1939/1941/1943 tank, when tanks such as the T-34 appeared in 1940, though I can see it does make the interface very uncluttered and easy to read. Also, will those four subtechs affect tanks of earlier models (e.g. researching the Panzer III armament boost your Panzer II armaments)? If so, is that going to be a flat boost to every tank, or will it only affect tanks built after the tech is researched?

But anyway, looks very good, and a *great* improvement over HoI3 imo. :)

I like the system as presented. Alex is right. Left to right is better.

Will there be trucks and horses? Stationary (garrison) divsions should lack these and be very slow to move around if they have heavy gear. Militia should lack both transportation vehicles and heavy equipment and therefore decent movement capacity. A regular (fx. German) divisions depended heavily on horse transport and should therefore have lots of "horses" as transportation means. A motorized division should have a lot of trucks.

What about half-tracked vehicles?

Or how does equipment transfer into movement speed? The movement speed of a divisions should be its slowest subunit and have little to do with the integral vehicles independent speed but rather doctrine and supply services, terrain and weather. Please don't make rubber resources increase the speed of an entire division like in HOI3 but rather decrease the cost of trucks or something.

Are we gonna be able to upgrade specific equipment parts like in HoI3, or is each unit preset and based only on Chassis tech?

Either way, I will be pre-purchasing this with the force of a thousand suns.

Because they were things that people built?
So we are limited to historical designs only? I hoped for more freedom in tank design department. Still, it's an improvement over what was before. The picture is quite clear in itself, but the armor screen ain't covering StuG III that's described in DD itself. Will it be added later on (and made "transparent") or will it be "visible" only after Panzer III's chasis is developed? What I mean is that wouldn't it be a bit counter-intuitive in terms of what the player wants to develop? I'd love StuG III as an infantry support but if I couldn't be able to see it wouldn't I have to search for it blindly or be forced to ask how to develop it? Maybe I messed something up, but I want to claryfy this one bit.

Will having more advanced weapons than enemy have more reallistic impact on combat? In HoI3 for example 2 divisions of 1940tech tanks were able to defeat 1 division of 1944 heavy tanks - IRL both divisions would likely be wiped out in such a fight....

What does the E-50 represent? A mixture between medium and heavy armour?

Einheits-Panzerkampfwagen 50, i.e. unified Battletank, 50 tons. Basically an effort to standardize a battle tank and to use unified parts for all deviants thereafter.

*looks at tank tech chart*

. . . .

I think I just had a Wargasm

. . . .

I'm sorry. We will try to create messier, hard to understand interfaces in the future instead

Because they were things that people built?

The role we are using here is that of main battle tank, which for Germany the E-50 fits best (its a bit early, but since it was never actually built it gives some freedom). For the US this is the Patton and for USSR a t-54 for example.

We havent gotten to that in development yet, but the idea is to make this possible.

No offence meant! It just gave me flashbacks what happened with Dragon Age 2 in comparison with Dragon Age 1.

The main battle tank from 1945 should be for the USA the M26 'Pershing' it was requalified as a medium tank. Than it should be M46 Patton, but this also a 1947+ design. Same for the T-54-1 and T-54-2.
Ideally would be the T-44A and B from 1945 onwards.

Also if you don't add the E-25 and E-75? What would replace than all the different types of medium tank destroyers? The PzKpfw E-25 was meant to replace all those medium tank destroyer designs?
Same for the E-75 and in a lesser extent the E-90.

HoI4 should have imo ofcourse:

Germany as example:

Main tank regiment: Equipment can be replaced: Thus I can be replaced by Pz II, Pz II can be replaced by III/IV, III/IV can be replaced by IV and Pz IV can be replaced by IV/V, which can be replaced by V and finally end with the PzKpfw E-50.

Different support tank battalion: Light/Medium/Heavy.
Heavy: PzKpfw VI -> VIb -> E-75. If you build the tanks, so you can replaced the existing tanks.

Ideally one of the mid-late war panzer-division layouts could look like this:

- 1x Panzer-Regiment (IV/V tanks)
- 1x Schwere-Pz-Abt. (Heavy Support Tank bn. - Tiger I)
- 1 or 2x Mot inf
- Mot Art.

+ Also provide the option for an unhistorical path were you use heavy tanks as main tank instead of battalion sized.

This looks very intuitive (and if combined with a good logistic system, very realistic), but I have a concern it would be difficult to keep track of research and productions lines for majors.

Will having more advanced weapons than enemy have more reallistic impact on combat? In HoI3 for example 2 divisions of 1940tech tanks were able to defeat 1 division of 1944 heavy tanks - IRL both divisions would likely be wiped out in such a fight....

The outcome would be based more upon doctrinal approach, otherwise explain how Germany defeated France.

The tech tree looks very simplistic, like for a console game.
Everything except the actualiteit picture of the tech tree sounds fantastic. I do hope that this is moddable and also means that we finally have nation specific equipment.

PzKpf III should have at least 4 variants. 3.7cm, 5cm L/42, 5cm L/60 and finally when the PzKpfw IV from Ausf F2 is in production the option to equip the Pzkpfw III with the 7.5cm L/24.

We just unlock the 1 model via the tech and you'll be able to upgrade the gun/engine etc via practical experience.

Also the StuG III should only become a Td from the Ausf F.

There's no reason they couldn't have done so earlier, it's just a decision to have a fixed gun over a turret.

PzKpfw IV -> StuG IV?
Pzkpfw V -> Jagdpanther?
Pzkpwf VI -> Ferdinand/Elefant?
PzKpfw VI Ausf b -> Jagdtiger?

Mostly. I went with the JagdpanzerIV over the StuG IV though IIRC.

Also it should be E-25 to replace Stugs and jagdpanzer.
E-50 to replace Pzkpf IV/V
E-75 and E-90 to replace VI

I'm not sure why you want us to remove the historically produced tanks for some planned and never built models? Where possible I use stuff that was actually built.

I think you guys are kind of missing the fact that the model names are just flavor descriptors for "Improved Medium Tank" and "Early Light Tank" and stuff. It's not trying to be a realistic Armour Development Simulator.

So we are limited to historical designs only? I hoped for more freedom in tank design department. Still, it's an improvement over what was before. The picture is quite clear in itself, but the armor screen ain't covering StuG III that's described in DD itself. Will it be added later on (and made "transparent") or will it be "visible" only after Panzer III's chasis is developed? What I mean is that wouldn't it be a bit counter-intuitive in terms of what the player wants to develop? I'd love StuG III as an infantry support but if I couldn't be able to see it wouldn't I have to search for it blindly or be forced to ask how to develop it? Maybe I messed something up, but I want to claryfy this one bit.

That's what the four icons to the right of each tech are. I'm guessing TD, SpArt, SPAA (based on the plane), and something else.

Last edited:
Are we gonna be able to upgrade specific equipment parts like in HoI3, or is each unit preset and based only on Chassis tech?

Either way, I will be pre-purchasing this with the force of a thousand suns.

Only chassis, although there may be the option of "melting down" equipment to feed the production of compatible variants.

"There will also be ways to create more custom equipment variants with abilities unlocked by experience over the course of the war. This is also something we will go into more detail on in the future."

The StuG there is represented by one of the buttons on the Panzer III tech (the one that looks like a bullet striking armor). We only have pictures of the main chassi at the moment, variants are indicated by those icons/buttons.

I think you guys are kind of missing the fact that the model names are just flavor descriptors for "Improved Medium Tank" and "Early Light Tank" and stuff. It's not trying to be a realistic Armour Development Simulator.

yeah, its flavor names for different levels of armor. If the player wants differences they need to be spending experience acquired in the war on variant development.

Podcat, you made my day!

Nice. Looking forward to.

You mentioned in one interview, that tank models could get "better" after fighting a few fights(bigger gun, etc..).

My question is: Will you see everything that is researchable from the start or will there be an "hidden" Techslot f. ex. PZ IV - better gun that reveals himself after reaching his "Goals" to be revealed?

2nd question :D :
Stealing of techs, i assume that will be ingame, when UK steals a PZ IV tech, will it have the Panzer IV as an "researchable slot" or will it be just something like "we learned how to make bigger guns/thicker armor"?

So I can buy 3000 Tanks for Estonia and then invade latvia?
also if we produce trucks are forces getting supplies faster?

Well, if you can afford them, and find someone willing to sell them, and you can man them, sure. The USSR might react with alarm though.

Trucks/Horses won't be tracked though, they are assumed to be part of the basic equipment of a division.

Also I don't hope that it is a fixed:

1934-1936-1939-1941-1943-1945 upgrade path:

And that for each major tank development is different, not only in name (as I think it is), but that there is a clear statistic difference between a T-34/76 m1941 and PzKpfw IV Ausf F1 (short barrelled gun).
Or that a T-34/76 m1941 is not exactly the same as the PzKpfw IV Ausf F2/G (what other name could you possible give than it's historical name?).
And not that both designs just have 1941 techs, with a different naming.

I really hope that it is not PzKpfw IV model and the upgrade is PzKpfw IV with powerful gun model... ...