Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 2 - The Tools of War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trucks/Horses won't be tracked though, they are assumed to be part of the basic equipment of a division.

Trucks not? Is there a distinction between motorized/regular inf brigade? What about APC's?

Sadface :(

Trucks is a nobrainer IMHO. They are so extremely versatile that you end up with loads of stuff you can do with trucks:

- Use it to motorize an infantry division/brigade increasing move speed ( for added fuel consumption )
- Use it to motorize support brigades increasing move speed ( for added fuel consumption )
- Attach to forward Division/Corps HQ to improve nearby supply flow and increase supplies/fuel carried ( for added fuel consumption )
- Attach it to rear supply dumps/supply routes to increase strategic scale supply flow where railroads are lacking ( for example in north africa )
- Send huge amounts of them to Soviet in lend lease.
- Use it to build cheap Katyusha SPRART units.
- Bomb out trucks to remove these advantages gradually and induce a high Industry cost to replace them.

Without trucks no allied WW2 effort and no lendlease...

Or, assume trucks are included in "supplies" and determine level of motorization based on doctrine and division composition, therefore affecting speed and fuel use. Increase divisions' fuel use in areas of low infra, representing the extra trucks necessary.

Bam, same thing, no adding yet another statistic.

The Pershing is designed as a heavy tank and only changes designation in '46 though its not a real medium or MBT as it lack the engine power. In '48 it gets a better engine (and some other changes) and becomes the first M46 Patton. So imho its the right choice.

Why? The M46 is a tank that was in service from 1949 onwards. So you can't make the M46 a 1945 tank design. It should be the M26 Pershing as it was used until the M46 Patton came into service (1949-50...)

The M26 was used in Korea, hell even the M4A3E8 was still used.
So I can't see what a M46 Patton tank should do in a wargame that only lasts until 1947-48, + how many people play until 1947-48? The game is finished years before.

The M26 saw limit combat in WWII, so instead of jumping directly to the M46, the M26 should have his spot.

Also the M26 was reclassified as a medium tank. It had the same weight as the Panther tank.

After World War II, most U.S. Army armored units were equipped with a mix of M4 Sherman and M26 Pershing tanks. Designed initially as a heavy tank, the M26 Pershing tank was reclassified as a medium tank postwar. The M26 was a significant improvement over the M4 Sherman in firepower and protection. Its mobility, however, was deemed unsatisfactory for a medium tank, as it used the same engine as the much lighter M4A3 and was plagued with an unreliable transmission.

Work began in January 1948 on replacing the original power plant with the Continental AV1790-3 engine and Allison CD-850-1 cross-drive transmission. This design was initially called M26E2, but modifications continued to accumulate; eventually the Bureau of Ordnance decided that the tank needed its own unique designation. When the rebuild began in November, 1949, the upgraded M26 received not only a new power plant and a main gun with bore evacuator, but a new designation M46. In total, 1,160 M26s were rebuilt: 800 to the M46 standard, 360 to the M46A1.

Yes, but that is the major problem for Germany. The E-50 was not build either. Than we should look first at the PzKpfw V Ausf F1 (Schmalturm turret) and F2, before we look at the E-50. As those were closer to be finalized than the E-50.

It's true they were closer to being made, but I didn't think it was enough of an upgrade for the next model of tank, especially not if we make the leap to MBT. Nazi Germany obviously wasn't around for the first generation of post-war tanks, and the Leopard is too far into the future, so I figured the E-50 was the best of the bunch.

How moddable is this?
Very.
Can you change the amount subcategories?
Yes.
Does every model have to have the same amount of subcategories?
The number of subtechs is individual of each tech.
Can you post an example of what a tech looks like in the game files?
Code:
improved_light_tank = {
	enable_equipments = {
		light_tank_equipment_2 
	}

path = {
		leads_to_tech = advanced_light_tank
		research_cost_coeff = 1
	}

path = {
		leads_to_tech = basic_medium_tank
		research_cost_coeff = 1
	}

research_cost = 180
	start_year = 1938

folder = {
		name = armour_folder
		position = { x = 4 y = 4 }
	}

sub_technologies = {
		improved_light_td
		improved_light_art
		improved_light_spra
		improved_light_spaa
	}
}

improved_light_td = {

enable_equipments = {
		light_tank_destroyer_equipment_2
	}

research_cost = 180
	start_year = 1930
}

AFAIK this is exactly what they are doing - at least there is separate art-work for each, and the tanks are not identical.

yeah, its flavor names for different levels of armor. If the player wants differences they need to be spending experience acquired in the war on variant development.

It's the same as previous HoIs. You have Early Tank 36, Basic Tank 39, Improved Tank 41, etc. Majors get unique names and pictures for these. Statistical differences are based on player's research. The Soviet version of this will be the same but the names and pictures will be different.

Sadface :(

Trucks is a nobrainer IMHO. They are so extremely versatile that you end up with loads of stuff you can do with trucks:

- Use it to motorize an infantry division/brigade increasing move speed ( for added fuel consumption )
- Use it to motorize support brigades increasing move speed ( for added fuel consumption )
- Attach to forward Division/Corps HQ to improve nearby supply flow and increase supplies/fuel carried ( for added fuel consumption )
- Attach it to rear supply dumps/supply routes to increase strategic scale supply flow where railroads are lacking ( for example in north africa )
- Send huge amounts of them to Soviet in lend lease.
- Use it to build cheap Katyusha SPRART units.
- Bomb out trucks to remove these advantages gradually and induce a high Industry cost to replace them.

You also have the added advantage that there only needs to be a single model, so it's much more simple to track then 5 variations of a tank.

Without trucks no allied WW2 effort and no lendlease...

IMHO tracking individual Maus tanks and SPRArt tanks, and not caring about stuff that truly matters for logistics, divisions speed and so on like trucks is a huge mistake.

Indeed!

You want to upgrade infantry to motorized infantry. Start producing lots of trucks and equip the infantry brigades with it.

So you have your basic infantry, which you can equip with trucks and later if you wish with halftracks.

Adding a Maus tank is not needed, but making trucks/half tracks a seperate equipment is. Just think about the massive amount of trucks/m3 halftracks that Soviet Union recieved.

I'm curious about the 4 armored variants represented by the little icons: artillery, tank destroyer, anti-air and rocket artillery ? The last two variants were pretty uncommon IRL. I think flamethrower tanks were even more common than those.
Wonder if there will be research options / production lines for half-tracks and armored cars too. And perhaps trucks and artillery tractors, who knows ? :p

Anyone here still remembers the old HOI1 research system, where you could totally decided how to build your tanks from the ground up: Vickers or Christie suspension, gun caliber and so on ? Never really understand why it was scrapped. I think resurrecting that system would fit in quite nicely with the dev's intentions this time, regarding production dilemmas.

So I can buy 3000 Tanks for Estonia and then invade latvia?
also if we produce trucks are forces getting supplies faster?

You better leave Latvia alone or we will send another one of our Special Forces bears to scare the people of Ruhnu island.

Oh and I demand trucks to be equipment, heck I would even enjoy horses being added, so I would know when to destroy and enemy division with extreme prejudice for killing some of my ponies.

It's the same as previous HoIs. You have Early Tank 36, Basic Tank 39, Improved Tank 41, etc. Majors get unique names and pictures for these. Statistical differences are based on player's research. The Soviet version of this will be the same but the names and pictures will be different.

Which sucked, as even the pictures/model names/tech component names didn't match.

So basically it is the same as HoI3? Same blandness in tank design, just with a more World of Tanks / War Thunder Tech screen... ? I really hope not.

Or, assume trucks are included in "supplies" and determine level of motorization based on doctrine and division composition, therefore affecting speed and fuel use. Increase divisions' fuel use in areas of low infra, representing the extra trucks necessary.

Bam, same thing, no adding yet another statistic.

So a division without trucks/motorization relying only on more primitive foot transport also has no supplies at all? Sorry not quite so simple buddy :rofl:

Divisions both with and without motorization existed in all nations, for example German armoured divisions (with motorized infantry) and German foot divisions.

Why? The M46 is a tank that was in service from 1949 onwards. So you can't make the M46 a 1945 tank design. It should be the M26 Pershing as it was used until the M46 Patton came into service (1949-50...)

The M26 was used in Korea, hell even the M4A3E8 was still used.
So I can't see what a M46 Patton tank should do in a wargame that only lasts until 1947-48, + how many people play until 1947-48? The game is finished years before.

The M26 saw limit combat in WWII, so instead of jumping directly to the M46, the M26 should have his spot.

Also the M26 was reclassified as a medium tank. It had the same weight as the Panther tank.

As i said the Pershing never had the mobility of a medium or that of a MBT. As your quote shows when they began work on improving the engine they also added a new gun etc and the Pershing became the M46 Patton. Its essentially the same tank. Its like do we use the PzIV 3.5 howitzer '39 design or the pzIV 7,5mm '41 design. Its the same tank with modifications however the M46 Patton can be called a MBT the Pershing never was as it was underpowered as a medium. It would make more sense having the Pershing as the american '43 heavy tank than as a '45 MBT.

Which sucked, as even the pictures/model names/tech component names didn't match.

So basically it is the same as HoI3? Same blandness in tank design, just with a more World of Tanks / War Thunder Tech screen... ? I really hope not.

Why are you playing a grand strategy game when what you want is Panzer Tycoon 1942?

So a division without trucks/motorization relying only on more primitive foot transport also has no supplies at all? Sorry not quite so simple buddy :rofl:

Trucks are "included" in equipment (as has been revealed.) Included, as in, equipment consists of both trucks and other things. A foot unit obviously does not receive trucks in its allocation of "equipment." A motorized unit obviously does. It's an abstraction because adding trucks as a statistic doesn't really improve over the model of just increasing the fuel/supply/equipment usage of motorized units.

Why are you playing a grand strategy game when what you want is Panzer Tycoon 1942?

The problem here is that:

1) If, as the UK, I start buying American tanks, they'll transform into British tanks on arrival.

2) If, as Germany, I give the tanks I captured from France to Romania, the tanks won't be French or German, but likely some generic name.

3) Foreign tanks that were fielded historically by the Germans (e.g., the Pz 38(t)) simply wont exist in this game.

That would be pretty immersion-breaking. Sure, I get that tracking dozens of tank models would be problematic as well.

Yes, you don't build absolutely everything individually. We;ll say mroe when we do the detailed production DD.

Good. Although there are some specifics that MIGHT be a problem but I'm not going to speculate futrher on those. Abstracting trucks/half tracks sounds ok to me. Was just worried that MOT and MECH are not in, silly me :eek:o