Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 2 - The Tools of War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thats good.

Diary2-screen1-armortech_zpsa3800995.jpg

Jesus is a BC model..

Wait, no. He can't be. I'm confused

I'm assuming that the Maus will be the 'super heavy tank' for Germany.

Will there be an extensive secret projects for Germany? We all know Germany was involved in a load of insane (but also brilliant) research. Amerika bomber, V3 cannon etc.

The tech tree looks very simplistic, like for a console game.
Everything except the actualiteit picture of the tech tree sounds fantastic. I do hope that this is moddable and also means that we finally have nation specific equipment.

PzKpf III should have at least 4 variants. 3.7cm, 5cm L/42, 5cm L/60 and finally when the PzKpfw IV from Ausf F2 is in production the option to equip the Pzkpfw III with the 7.5cm L/24.

Also the StuG III should only become a Td from the Ausf F.
PzKpfw IV -> StuG IV?
Pzkpfw V -> Jagdpanther?
Pzkpwf VI -> Ferdinand/Elefant?
PzKpfw VI Ausf b -> Jagdtiger?

It sounds great on paper, but the tech screen really look simplistic to represent armoured development.

Edit: also why the ridiculous concept of super heavy tanks?

Also it should be E-25 to replace Stugs and jagdpanzer.
E-50 to replace Pzkpf IV/V
E-75 and E-90 to replace VI

I like what I see and hear!

What would the dotted line between Tiger and PzIV represent, you have to have them both to unlock the other?

Looking at the backgrounds PZ1 appears to be researched and in production, PZ 2 being researched and Tiger unlocked but not researched yet, something along those lines?

i like the tech tree as its very clear and easy to follow. Im interested in how the different tech trees will look as some nations didnt produce certain types of equipment. Like is the Super Heavy tank gone, Maus is listed as only a heavy tank.
I guess the reason for putting pzIV at 41 is to have a more continues tree, while having pzI and pzII as mediums instead of light tanks like they should would be to make the medium armored divisions upgrade properly. Only having E-50 as 1945 with no E-75 is a bit confusing imho but i guess its letting the trees evolve into a MBT design in 1945 which should make it easier to balance the nations.
So three questions:
Is the Super Heavy tank brigade gone?
Are we going to see roughly equivalent tech trees or can they diverge between the nations. Like Japan never really produced a heavy tank but had blueprint on the super heavy O-I and produced 1? testing tank.
and the most important question: will we be able to produce the TOG II as britain?

Super heavies are still around, the tree perhaps isn't clear enough, but the Maus is out to the side there in its own class (and the Pz I and II are actually light tanks, despite the heading. Alpha UI.). Nations are all going to have the same basic models available so Japan can build an O I if it really wants to. And no TOG II, sadly, our rule for early heavy tanks is that need to be multi-turreted where possible so TOG is too sensible as odd as that sounds.

You're also correct that the E-50 fills the MBT role here, and that the PzIV as a later tech makes the tree flow better. It was also around the time it got its long gun and became a clear upgrade from the III.

It sounds great on paper, but the tech screen really look simplistic to represent armoured development.

I'm sorry. We will try to create messier, hard to understand interfaces in the future instead

Edit: also why the ridiculous concept of super heavy tanks?

Because they were things that people built?

Also it should be E-25 to replace Stugs and jagdpanzer.
E-50 to replace Pzkpf IV/V
E-75 and E-90 to replace VI

The role we are using here is that of main battle tank, which for Germany the E-50 fits best (its a bit early, but since it was never actually built it gives some freedom). For the US this is the Patton and for USSR a t-54 for example.

Nice. Since divisions are made up of equipment, will it be possible to capture and integrate foreign equipment after a battle or after defeating a country?

We havent gotten to that in development yet, but the idea is to make this possible.

Reactions:
I guess factories is a next dev diary, but are we able to produce multiple equipments? Eg: Research and start building PIV chassis at say 40% while at the same time continue producing PIII for the units that are already on the front? (or something similar)
Can divisions be replenished AFTER a switch to a newer division type, aka: mixed divisions with different versions of tanks for example? Or will we have to wait for the old units to completely deplete?

Love the system, will give it a much needed clarity on where you are at in the tech tree.

One thing that stuck out to me immediately - can we have Light - Medium - Heavy - Superheavy from left to right (basically mirror the current image)? I think that would make the overview even more readable (strongest tanks on the right). Just a suggestion!

Since this is pre-Alpha I know very little is set, but I noticed the PZ IV doesn't unlock until 1941. Will this be fixed?

Ideally a panzer regiment post Fall Weiss and pre 1943 should be a mixture of Pzkpfw III and IV tanks

I like what I see and hear!

What would the dotted line between Tiger and PzIV represent, you have to have them both to unlock the other?

It means it's a linked tech, if you have one you research the other cheaper, and it provides a way to "cross over" if you have researched down one line. Not entirely sure we'll keep the Improved medium <-> Improved heavy link at this point, but it's used it several other places too.

Darkrenown - so this represents the PZ IVf2? Makes sense.

Exactly. Although, warning upfront, we will likely not follow the variant naming schemes of the various nations exactly.

can we buy equipment?

Yes.

One thing that stuck out to me immediately - can we have Light - Medium - Heavy - Superheavy from left to right (basically mirror the current image)? I think that would make the overview even more readable (strongest tanks on the right). Just a suggestion!

Good point!

Will there be any mechanism for producing captured equipment? Say I capture the Mukden Arsenal in Manchukuo as the Chinese, would I be able to start cranking out whatever it made before or would the factory be refitted to match the equipment of the player's nation? As I do enjoy fielding captured equipment and armies such as China relied heavily on what they could scavenge or reverse engineer.