Paradox Interactive Breaks Ground on Cities: Skylines for PC, Mac, and Linux

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My reaction to the various parts of this movie:

Start of the video: 'Looks like a city simulator.'

Moment the video moves over the hill and hows off a big ass city: 'Oh, f___!'

When they showed the crazy bridge: 'Hahaha, no f______ way!'

In summary: I'm excited.

Recently I've been playing city building games and I've yet to have my hunger satiated completely. SimCity 2000 has the great terrain generation tools but is too mired in controlling everything, SimCity 4 is too clunky UI wise and to grid-like, SimCity 2013's are too small and CitiesXL lacks the charm of the Maxis products. There have been some city building games that are great, but there hasn't really yet been any one that's set the bar to unreachable heights. I hope Cities can be that one.

In my opinion a city building game needs to take place on a macro level. Too many of these games feature on too small stuff. Just like the mayor or city manager of New York often doesn't get into the nitty gritty of a single school or single house, the player of a city building game shouldn't have to deal with that either. Instead the focus should be on expanding or improving the city and the subject of your attention shouldn't be individuals but collectives (neighborhoods, etc.). The Cities franchise has a great advantage with that, since it's always been about groups. Working people needed a fast connection to the financial district, seniors needed plentiful public transport to get them from their neighborhood to the center, etc. That made things approachable. One area needs this, another area needs that. While in reality everyone is a snowflake, you don't have countless staff to show you this. Instead you just have an hour to build a basic city.

I've only played Cities in Motion 2 for a little bit, but I noticed a lot of, in my eyes, unnecessary complexity. When I'm designing a big city I want to just plop down a bus terminal and have that alleviate my infrastructure problems. I don't want to have to set up every single bus route. There's games like Cities in Motion for that. More complexity can be hidden behind the basics, but it shouldn't be a requisite when the game is about a larger thing such as city building. What I'm trying to say is: it should be quick and intuitive to build a city that works. More complex systems should be left for those who want to turn that city into an intricate piece of clockwork.

I wonder how "sims" will be simulated. I still want some kind of simulation in my city builder. So people actually go to work and school etc and you can see them on the streets. Sim City 3k simulation is fine. It doesn't have to be super ambitious like SimShitty 2013 was.

I just hope the cities don't feel desolate. And I really hope they put a lot of focus on vegetation, it really makes the difference in a city builder between having the city feel plastic or authentic.

I haven't played CiM2 but at least CiM had "sims" who traveled from one place to another and so on AFAIK, and since this will likely build upon CiM1/2 I'd be surprised if it didn't have simulation like that.

Oh and I love (actually I don't, but nice move CO/PDS!) that "play offline" is actually a selling point for a city sim :D

Bravo! You caught my attention! Very good decision to release a city simulation!
However, I can relate you are aiming at the American market, I am going to wait for an European version of it, the buildings in the trailer did not fortify my decision to buy it - rather the contrary :)

This has gotten me most excited. When they announced it, I had no idea how to react. Even Fred Wester tried to get the room up, but I was stuck in awe. I do apologise, Don Fred, I was completely stunned.

It was great to learn from their designer the passion behind the idea. I get the sense that there is an even larger passion behind this game than the Cities in Motion games. This fills me with hope.

No, we are not working on it, and dont even have a design. I just said WHEN we make vicky3, we will make and eu4 exporter.
Well saying when is more specific than saying if. At least you got a nice reaction from Shams---I don't know if you saw it, but he certainly looks funny on the video when you say it.

Thanks, but why is it hidden. Anyone know.
Because the people that have the magical mystery powers are mostly at Gamescom still.
However helpful elves have sorted the issue.
Sorry for any confusion.

I wonder how "sims" will be simulated.
Well, if CiM2 is anything to go by, they will get up at 7:00, take a bus to work, switch to a tram, switch back to the bus, let a couple of trams go by to take a tram of another line going to exactly the same destination instead (all the while ignoring that they could have gotten there by metro after the first bus), arrive at work around 16:00, work for one hour, leave work at 17:00 and arrive home around 4:00 to get 2 hours of sleep, and repeat.

I only have one concern.

But it's a big concern.

Cities in Motion had misleading and incorrect system requirements.
In particular, it said it needed 3GB of RAM to run.
This was incorrect.
While the program itself needed 3GB of RAM, it's impossible to run the program on it's own. IE you would need windows or whatever apple uses to get the program to run, and that system requires it's own RAM.

It is thus the only game I ever bought that did not consider this in it's own system requirements. It is thus the only game I ever bought that, despite meeting the system requirements, I did not have the system requirements to play.

And frankly, anyone but paradox would have received a demand for my money back for purposefully misleading information.

I want to make sure this same error is not made with this new game.

wat.

The OS usage of memory varies from OS to OS, from variant to variant. You can hardly expect developers to suggest how much RAM your variant of an OS they support uses. It's completely fair game to only state the amount of memory the program itself needs to run. Hey, what if I want to run Firefox at the same while I'm playing? Why isn't that in the requirements? Or the programs that come with Nvidia and ATI graphics cards, they take some RAM too, surely the requirements should compensate for that, right?

I am pretty confident the memory requirements on every game these days is based on the game alone. I could be wrong, but at least since I've been buying games since the 1990s, I have always assumed that you need some extra memory than the one on the box. I could be a minority here, I suppose. But for modern games, I am pretty confident the memory requirements refers to the game alone, because it is so difficult to assert how much memory the OS actually uses at any given point.

wat.

The OS usage of memory varies from OS to OS, from variant to variant. You can hardly expect developers to suggest how much RAM your variant of an OS they support uses. It's completely fair game to only state the amount of memory the program itself needs to run. Hey, what if I want to run Firefox at the same while I'm playing? Why isn't that in the requirements? Or the programs that come with Nvidia and ATI graphics cards, they take some RAM too, surely the requirements should compensate for that, right?

I am pretty confident the memory requirements on every game these days is based on the game alone. I could be wrong, but at least since I've been buying games since the 1990s, I have always assumed that you need some extra memory than the one on the box. I could be a minority here, I suppose. But for modern games, I am pretty confident the memory requirements refers to the game alone, because it is so difficult to assert how much memory the OS actually uses at any given point.

I've never had a problem with any other program I've ever run.

In addition I suspiciously can't find the original tech support request for this I posted. Hopefully it's just my problem and not something more sinister.