Paradox Interactive Breaks Ground on Cities: Skylines for PC, Mac, and Linux

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've never had a problem with any other program I've ever run.

In addition I suspiciously can't find the original tech support request for this I posted. Hopefully it's just my problem and not something more sinister.

Well, if CiM2 itself requires more than 3 GB RAM to actually run, then that information is misleading. But then again being limited by 3 GB RAM these days is a bit lackluster, maybe it's time to be upgrading.

Send me money and I will. It's not like I enjoy having an older computer.

Also, turns out the problem was the search function. I found the thread(s)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?729401-Game-crashes-constantly-from

Please take a look a few posts before yours: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...antly-from&p=16440948&viewfull=1#post16440948

The minimum requirements state that the game needs 3 GB RAM. A normal user will take this as "3 GB of RAM installed on my Motherboard".
Unfortunately, not the whole range of 3 GB is available to the game, as already described in several posts. So the devs may think about changing the minimum requirements (like mentioned before), or maybe the next patch in early 2014 will fix some problems.

Would getting a final 1G stick fix my problems?

Without changing other aspects, no it's not likely to solve your problem:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?735073-32Bit-OS-and-CIM2-crashes

You may change the Kernel/User Mode Memory depending on your needs, temporary this may help, as seen here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...antly-from&p=16454882&viewfull=1#post16454882

Can't help but feel like I've been purposefully mislead. Sold on the idea of minimum requirements that my system meets (all the minimum requirement testing websites say 3GB, not 3GB plus) now they have my money. If ANYONE by Paradox was involved (IE this was published by the devs) I'd be trying to get my money back.

There is no mention of 64 bit, or needing to make hardcore adjustments to the entire way your computer runs; no mention of how these 3GB minimums only apply if you can magically get the game to run without an operating system, etc so on and so forth. AFAIK the standard in the industry is to list what you need to run the game, INCLUDING the overhead. If I was going for a refund (which I'm not because I respect Paradox too much) I'd do some research to back this up. Doing something because you are being pedantic at being technically correct while violating the normal but unenforceable standard in order to make more money is plain rude.

At this point I'll just sit on the game until I have a computer that can play it, like I did for 12 months after buying EU III without reading the minimum specs.

I have to be honest though this has made it less likely for me to buy any random ole paradox title without doing more research into reviews and the such. Until now I've just used the "blind trust" method, which perhaps, is my fault.

I also posted again in the thread, months later, asking if anything had been done.

it remains the latest post in the thread.

To quote a developer

If you are running the game with 32 bit version of Windows the problem may be...
The problem may be that you should state these things and let people know about them BEFORE they send you their money.

edited to add
http://store.steampowered.com/app/225420/
the system requirements, right now, are as follows:
Minimum:
Processor:2 GHz Dual core
Memory:3 GB RAM
Graphics:nVIDIA GeForce 8800, 512 MB RAM or ATI Radeon HD 3850, 512 MB RAM
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:2 GB HD space
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

That I agree with. They should tell you that you need a 64-bit version of Windows basically. Or a modern OS like Linux.

So long as this game - which looks great btw - has honest system requirements, it will earn my support, and I will make it my first purchase when I buy a new computer.

However, given that the problem above has still, to this day, been ignored, I want to do everything I can to ensure no other user faces the same problem I did in the future with this new game.

wat.

The OS usage of memory varies from OS to OS, from variant to variant. You can hardly expect developers to suggest how much RAM your variant of an OS they support uses.

:huh:

That's why it's called SYSTEM requirements to run a program on it, not game requirements and that's why system requirements distinguish between OS's.
It's just that since Win7 the OS memory requirements are far higher than before.

What's not included in SRs is extra apps and programs using memory which run in the background which can vary of course.

@ OP I' curious how that city builder turns out. During the live stream the trailer didn't make it clear if its just a variation on CiM or how far it goes in city building ..for me.
It became obvious that everyone was suprised and stunned. :D

Last edited:
For the few seconds of the trailer I thought it was going to be Vicky 3.... those were the happiest seconds of my life, then it became a city builder. I've fallen into a brief depression. Though it looks pretty damn sweet, I am not much into city builders, but since its published by PI I will follow closely at least.

I saw this as a natural progression on the part of Colossal Order due to the map creation tools included in the first Cities in Motion, the greater focus on editing tools in the second, and the constant promises of becoming more mod-friendly (though not in CiM2, at least in the next game). I like that it seems to combine grid-like aspects of CiM* with the graphics engine of CiM2. However, my worry is that the atmosphere (like CiM2) would be too sterile.

CiM had a lot of character in the vehicles, crowds of commuters, landmarks, colors, vehicle types...the list goes on. For most of my CiM2 gameplay sessions consisted of mostly empty streets, crowded metro stops and tiny robots moving to and fro with a lack of character or individuality. And of course, the never-ending "dead" modernized city environments rears it's head.

Colossal Order is a decent company however (especially since they've put up with our rants and complaints for so long without losing it!), and so I hope that they deliver with the upcoming release. And +1 for life-like foliage; I tend to build my cities in CiM, Simultrans and even Minecraft with a large amount of parks, open spaces and greenery.

*EDIT: From looking at the images on the news thread of Paradox's page, I guess I was wrong about the grid-like aspects of city building for this game. I am hoping for a "snap-to" option, but it's no big deal if there isn't; it just means my block designs have to be neater and more detailed.

Last edited:
grid-like, while what we are comfortable with, is going out of style; and I'm comfortable with that.

To be blunt, I'd like the ability to create your own grid. For example, check out Toronto on google maps. The Toronto "grid" does not match to north-south. Now go on over to Hamilton (west/south) and you'll see a different "grid". Neither of them match to true north-south.

If we were allowed to create our own "grids" we could create more realistic cities - at least for American/New World cities.

edit
Also, I want to make clear:

Sim City 5 was an utter failure.
Cities Skylines is a great way to take over the spirit of that franchise.
I back it fully.