• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First off, sorry for the long delay. Real life is rather crazy right now. But I should have a new update ready tomorrow.

...seriously? Again? I've never seen such a mortality rate before! A theory: your computer has become sentient and is devising further measures to make the game more difficult for you. :p

I think you need to order your generals to stay as far back from the front line as possible. At this rate, the common soldiery seem to have far better odds of surviving the war than the high command.

Actually, this amount of leader casualties is not that much above what is normal in RUS. I only got very unlucky in one regard: casualties were particularly high amongst my high-ranking generals. This left me very short of corps commanders! And more dead generals are around the corner. :(
Anyways, at this rate there will be nobody left for Stalin to purge in the 30ies. Sorry, that was completely inappropriate.:eek:o

you are rattling through your commanders ... brings to mind a comment by Oscar Wilde about losing 8 is unfortunate but 9 ....?

Hehe. Truth be told, I have seen worse losses. I had a PBEM as Siberian player once where I lost 7 generals within the first 3 turns (amongst them my two best corps commanders as well as Kappel).

So, that's what I should have been doing in our 1755 game: kill your generals :p

That wouldn't be sportsmanlike, would it? Anyways, leader deaths appear to be rarer in WiA.

Well congratulations, the quality of the illustrations have won you AARtist of the month for July, wander over and meet you fans ...

Thank you very much! :) That is quite an honour. I am a very happy AAR writer right now.

Thanks for a great read. I'll be following from now on.

Question: What happens to the Poles if you beat the Siberian Whites in the east? I assume their morale is linked, so it would drop along with their eastern troops, leading to reduced fighting capacity in the west. If you beat them up around the Urals enough that their NM drops back to zero, are the Poles also out? I've never played the game (I'm interested but I haven't found the time), I don't even know what will happen to their armies and their cities.

Urgh, your generals are dropping like flies! And that subtract-NM-before-adding-NM-from-'conquered'-cities bug with the Siberians must have been particularly galling: you were so close to knocking them out, and now they get a second lease of life. Thankfully, there was room for some therapeutic Siberian-slaying in Perm. ;)

So, continued dominance over the Siberians. But we don't yet know how you'll fare in the South, North and, most importantly, the West, what with the Polish hordes coming for you...

Thanks for a great read. I'll be following from now on.

Question: What happens to the Poles if you beat the Siberian Whites in the east? I assume their morale is linked, so it would drop along with their eastern troops, leading to reduced fighting capacity in the west. If you beat them up around the Urals enough that their NM drops back to zero, are the Poles also out? I've never played the game (I'm interested but I haven't found the time), I don't even know what will happen to their armies and their cities.

Welcome, I am glad you enjoyed it. Polish and Siberian Whites share the same NM, they are part of the same faction for game purposes. If Polish-Siberian joint Nm drops to zero, it is game over for both of them. And incidentally for the Southern Whites as well since it suffices if the Reds beat one of the White factions to achieve victory.

And that subtract-NM-before-adding-NM-from-'conquered'-cities bug with the Siberians must have been particularly galling: you were so close to knocking them out, and now they get a second lease of life. Thankfully, there was room for some therapeutic Siberian-slaying in Perm. ;)

It's indeed a weird bug - but from a story-telling point of view it provided this match with a great twist especially since the Siberians got this second wind (or massive Nm increase) at the same moment my supply and leadership troubles reached critical stages.

Chapter 24 - Day of Anger: Kharkov, January 1920​

When the speeches of Wilson, Clemenceau, and Lloyd George, the worst of the predators, the wild beasts of imperialism, are repeated here by Martov in the name of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party … then I say to myself that we have to be on the alert and to realise that the Cheka is indispensable!
-
Lenin

Since the first two Battles of Merefa in September 1919, the front in the Ukraine had been relatively calm. The war had stagnated into trench warfare with neither side willing to risk an attack. The Red Army under Stalin's command was holding its positions around Kharkov. Currently the main frontline was stretching from Merefa in the South along the railway all the way north to Belograd. Weaker Red forces were guarding the railway line north to Kursk. The entire supply of these troops relied on a single railway line connecting Kharkov with Kursk. Its protection was thus the top priority. In order to keep the enemy in uncertainty, the Red corps were constantly shifted around. False weak points were created to bait the Volunteers and their foreign lackeys into attacks. But lately the Whites hadn't fallen for these traps. Rather, they had patiently increased their troop strength in the sector and waited for an opportunity.[1] By January 1920, White forces were slightly superior – if not in numbers than at least in fighting power. It was evident that new attacks were imminent.

kharkov4.png

The dreaded blow landed on January 11. The Whites had chosen their spot well: Denisov's powerful corps had outflanked Stalin and attacked Belograd in his rear. Initial contact was made with an Anarchist raiding party that had come east to resupply. Unfortunately, it ventured beyond Orzhonikidze's trenches.[2]

kharkov5.png

When the unlucky Anarchists made contact with Denisov's entire corps. They were hopelessly outnumbered. 5 cavalry regiments, supported by two light artillery batteries were facing three elite White divisions. Not bothered by these odds. The Anarchists made a valiant – if utterly stupid – charge. The carnage was horrific. Hardly an Anarchist survived the mad attack.

kharkov2.png

Ordzhonikidze, who could have helped, gave his men orders to stay in their trenches while he watched the slaughter in his binoculars. He wasn't unhappy if the White exhausted themselves butchering Anarchists. In the meantime, he sent out a telegram requesting help from Stalin and Berzin. The Anarchists' sacrifice bought the necessary time, when Denisov's men finally attacked the Red trenches, they found themselves outnumbered by 3:1. Now the three White divisions were engaged by five Red corps.[3]

kharkov3.png

The White veterans weren't bothered by these odds. They pressed the attack hard. Especially Drozdovsky's Division came dangerously close to breaking the Red lines. But Denisov was realist enough to realize that he couldn't break through 140.000 Reds with his 44.000 men. The attack was called off. Although a failure in the strategic sense, since Belograd was still in Communist hands, it had succeeded on a tactical level. The Red army had lost almost 9.200 men as opposed to 5.000 White casualties.

kharkov1.png

The success made the Whites more confident – overconfident some might say – a follow-up attack was ordered. The target was once again Merefa on the southern tip of the Red line. Berzin had created a opening, when he had relocated his army to the West of Kharkov. But this had been nothing but a feint. Immediately he headed back to Merefa by railway and was joined by two corps under Voroshilov on his way.

kharkov6.png

When Sidorin and Nither led their two corps into combat on the morning of January 23rd, they found four Red Army corps where they had expected nothing but a small Anarchist screening force.[4] Nither's corps was relatively small it contained Shkuro's elite “White Wolves” cavalry division as well as three Greek regiments – each of which was actually a small brigade. Sidorin's corps was another multinational force: two French and three Volunteer divisions were supported by an independent cavalry brigade.

Sidorin proved himself to be a true gentleman – during an opulent dinner on the eve of battle, the two French generals, Nerel and Borius, were offered the honour of charging first with their gallant French troops. Not wanting to lose face, the two Frenchmen had little choice but to accept and it was thus their soldiers that suffered most while Sidorin was enjoying the spectacle sipping champagne in his headquarters.

kharkov7b.png

The attack began very well coordinated: Nither and Sidorin had synchronized their march to Merefa perfectly. However, the attack was less coordinated since Nither held off a charge while Sidorin ordered an assault immediately. Borius' 156th Infantry Division led the attack. However it got bogged down half way across the no-man’s land. The Frenchmen fell like flies under constant artillery bombardment. The 30th French Infantry Division and Subbotin's 15th Volunteer Division were sent in to get the attack going again but they didn't mange to advance much further. Frustrated by what he called “the mud-wrestling of infantrymen”, the commander of the 13th Cavalry Brigade had the glorius idea to charge through the middle. The result was a dreadful meat-grinder of dead mounts and screaming horsemen. It was a bad re-enactment of Agincourt with a bloody dash of Crécy.

kharkov7a.png

After two hours of fighting, the situation deteriorated further as a fresh Red corps under Zhdanov arrived from Kharkov together with Stalin who took over command from Berzin. Nither had seen enough and gave his corps orders to retreat although it had yet to suffer any casualties. Sidorin was furious at this Greek treachery, but it was already too late for him to disengage with three of his five divisions pinned down in the noman's land. The attack had to continue. His men were ordered to assault the Red left flank where Zhdanov's corps had just taken up position. The Reds were punished harshly. Within the next two hours one in five out of Zhdanov's men would die. Nevertheless, they held the line. But the Red conscripts had little choice as Stalin had positioned a cheka regiment in their rear with orders to shoot anyone who fled.

kharkov7.png

Yet, Sidorin still didn't cancel the attack. By the fifth hour of fighting Pokrovsky's small corps had arrived on the battlefield and was immediately sent into combat. Hardly out in the open, Pokrovsky's men were torn into pieces. The 15th Terek Plastun Batallion was completely wiped out and the 12th Infantry Brigade fared little better. After 6 hours of bloody fighting, Sidorin finally ordered the retreat. 22.714 White soldiers had fallen, roughly one third of the entire force engaged in the battle. Red casualties were bad as well; 15.754 Communists had died. But Stalin's forces were still in decent fighting shape. Even Voroshilov's 10th Corps and Zhdanov's 26th Corps – the two Red Army formations who had suffered worst - still had 78% of their men ready for another battle.[5]

Further east a much smaller battle had occurred. Kravchenko had led a Red cavalry corps to hunt down some White partisans just west of Tzaritsyn. The mission was a full success. The White horsemen were ambushed and slaughtered. The Red Army suffered only one victim: the commanding officer himself. Rumour has it he fell from his horse drunk and broke his neck.[6]

kharkov8.png

The last Anarchists weren't keeping quiet, either. Since the area around Kharkov had become too invested with White troops they had evaded to the North of Kiev and lauched a serious of raids across the Donets.

kharkov10.png

On January 27, they attacked the city of Bila Tsverka, just south of Kiev, and wiped out a Greek double-regiment.[7]

kharkov9.png

------------------------------------------------------
[1] Obviously my position was highly advantageous – my corps could mutually support each other while Ian's forces were stretched out in a crescent and no longer able to provide mutual assistance. Under those circumstances, my only worry was an attack deep into my rear, for that reason I dispatched Kirov's corps to extend the line even further back.
[2] The Anarchists had march and combine orders, but hadn't yet joined Ordzhonikidze's stack when the Volunteers attacked. Even worse, it had gone through Ukrainian territory on its way and consequently switched to offensive posture. Thus only the Anarchists engaged in the first round of battle, while Orzhonikidze's army set back on defensive posture.
[3] White divisions were of the same size as Red corps. Weirdly, Ordzhonikidze's men still didn't engage. The fighting was exclusively done by Stalin's and Berzin's stacks. Thus the Whites were probably only outnumbered by 2:1 in the second battle round. Nevertheless, it is rather surprising that they inflicted slightly more casualties than they suffered.
[4] I had used this single regiment to keep the railroad intact and preserve the trenches. Berzin had move and combine orders and thus reoccupied these trenches.
[5] In spite of these high casualties, very few elements were destroyed. The reason for this is that both Ian and myself used big formations for the most part. The eliminated elements had all been part of units not incoorporated into divisions. Once again, this proves how important it is to create big divisions!
[6] And another one bites the dust … I hate these battles where the only casualty is my general.
[7] Killing French and Greek troops is an easy way to gain NM since they are high-value targets.

Can you 'persuade' the French and Greeks to give up and go home?

Excellent defense! No doubt your surviving officers gained some valuable experience. Did you manage to promote any to cover for your leadership shortage?

Also, Kiev looks shockingly under-defended.

your generals are becoming suicidal.

Possibly they realize either the Whites or Stalin will win in the end, meaning they might as well save themselves the bother and take matters into their own hands? :p

Bornego, that was a lot of force concentration on the part of the Whites. I was getting worried you'd have to give ground, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see how well you did. In the long run, can you sustain these casualty rates, that are almost 1:1 (I know you did significantly better in the larger battle, but the first battle was bruising for you)?

New update tonight! The Poles are welcomed to Russia.

I am saying this not often enough. In many ways, this is the most amazing PBEM I have ever been a part of. We have been playing this game since January. Now, 6 months later, we are still having a blast, are still scheming and playing the best we know how to. With any other group of players, this game would probably have come to a premature end. We have managed to overcome corrupted turn files more than once and have found fair solutions to make up for some bugs. Durk is an amazing host. Both, he and Ian, are true sportsmen: smart, tenacious and with a great sense of fairplay.

Good robust defense, but presume from your point of view this is still a stalemated sector unless either of you can bring in fresh formations?

Thanks :), a stalemate was indeed my goal in this sector ever since the attack on Rostov failed. Supply troubles will prevent me from bringing more troops to this front (I could spare two or three division on the Siberian front).

Can you 'persuade' the French and Greeks to give up and go home?

In the latest version of RUS, the French and Greek go home some time between spring and summer 1919. But this game was started on an older version where the retreat events didn't fire properly. Therefore the French and Greek will continue to bother me.

Did you manage to promote any to cover for your leadership shortage?

Also, Kiev looks shockingly under-defended.

I was able to promote a lot of generals over the course of this game. But way too often these were 2-0-0 generals or leaders that get worse with higher rank.

Good observation about Kiev! :) The city is indeed shockingly under-defended. But Ian knows I am not going to attack it. If I take it, the Poles would retake it very quickly which would give them two advantages:
1. Some free reinforcements: one division of veteran Ukrainian troops that aren't area-restricted as the Poles themselves.
2. A NM penalty for me: -1 point of NM for the Reds each turn as long as the Poles hold Kiev. I am already suffering from such a penalty because the Poles hold Minsk. Losing two points of NM each turn is a lot!

In the long run, can you sustain these casualty rates, that are almost 1:1 (I know you did significantly better in the larger battle, but the first battle was bruising for you)?

The losses are well sustainable. Up to 1,5 Red casualties for every White one the Reds are doing ok. In this game the ratio is better than 1:2 though. In other words, the Whites have lost more than two soldiers for every one the Red Army has lost. Of course, the Reds are periodically losing soldiers to desertion as well (which doesn't affect the Southern White), but that is sustainable as well.

What are the conditions needed to get Yudenich? I don't think he's been in this game yet, and I haven't seen him in the RUS single player game I am playing as the Southern Whites either.

Southern White need at least 5 engagement points + 150 money for the option to show. If it is taken they pay 150 money, 5 EP and 5 NM. Having that much spare cash may have been the problem or perhaps Ian didn't want the NM penalty. He is already fairly low. I think this is also the reason he never brought the Caucasians into the war.

Chapter 25 - Once Upon a Time in the West: Belarus, December 1919 - January 1920

From the vulgar bourgeois standpoint the terms dictatorship and democracy are mutually exclusive. Failing to understand the theory of class struggle, and accustomed to seeing in the political arena the petty squabbling of the various bourgeois circles and coteries, the bourgeois conceives dictatorship to mean the annulment of all the liberties and guarantees of democracy, tyranny of every kind, and every sort of abuse of power in the personal interests of a dictator.
-
Lenin

By mid-December 1919, Budyenny was faced with a choice. His flanking march around Balodis position had put him within reach of Riga. Should he proceed? For Budyenny that wasn't really a question. He was determined to charge ahead. Unfortunately, the Politburo had different ideas. It was more worried about Poland than the Baltic states. For weeks Soviet spies in Poland had reported back that the Poles were gearing up for war. Budyenny's forces would be needed to stop their onslaught. Grudgingly, the Red general obeyed and turned back. His entire cunning plan - the strenuous march through snow and woods - it had all been for nothing.

poland_1a.png

In spite of Budyenny's misgivings, the Politburo's decision turned out to be wise. The Balts had planned to encircle Budyenny's exposed army. Laidoner rushed south with his corps in order to cut off Budyenny's supply route. If the Red force had stayed put or moved onward, it would have been doomed. As it was, Budyenny slipped out only days before the encirclement could be closed. At Polotsk two freshly raised corps were already waiting. They had been tasked to secure the city against a possible counter-attack by Balodis.*

On December 30, 1919, Poland declared war on Soviet Russia. Hardly risen from a century of partition, the Poles were already dreaming of a Greater Poland again. Or were they simply realist enough not to believe that their Communist neighbours would respect Poland's independence in the long run?
Anyway, Poland had chosen its time well. With Soviet Russia already at war with a multitude of foes, its western frontier lay wide open. Belarus fell to Poland within days. The Polish vanguard, Zygadlowicz's 1st Army, marched towards Smolensk. However, its advance was stopped abruptly when it stumbled into an ambush Budyenny had set up. The Red general was far too impatient to wait for the Poles to come to him. Instead he had disengaged from the Balts and relocated his entire army to Senno, just the south of Vitbesk.

poland_2a.png

Zygadlowicz hadn't expected any resistance and was taken by surprise. His “1st Army” - in reality it was just a corps consisting of three infantry divisions – was badly outnumbered and out-gunned. 18.400 Poles were facing 75.2000 Bolshevik conscripts. It was even worse as far as artillery was concerned, the Polish 1st Army had only 3 batteries with a total of 24 cannon. Budyenny's army on the other hand had 15 batteries containing no less than 115 guns. Caught with bis pants down, Zygadlowicz's army was torn to pieces, within two hours the 8th and the 17th Polish infantry divisions were completely annihilated. Only Rzadkowski's 1st Lithuanian-Belarussian Division escaped relatively unharmed. But that was little consolation since it was a volunteer force of little quality while the two Polish divisions had been made up of veterans of WW I.

poland_2.png

In total the Polish army lost 7.720 men that day - amongst them one of their division commanders, general Kuczewski, Communist losses were much lower (1.968 men). Budyenny had given the Poles a bloody welcome to Russia.**

poland_1.png

While Budyenny was off killing Poles, Makhin ventured south as well, he took 48.000 men south from the Novgorod area and retook Velikiye Luki from Vetrenko's small division on January 14, 1920. The White force was wiped out without much resistance and the link between Budyenny and Antonov-Ovseenko was re-established.***

poland_3.png

But the Bolsheviks weren't the only ones able to mount surprising attacks. In the North, von Neff was in command of the remnants of Miller's Murmansk Army. It was down to less than 7.700 men but these men were battle-hardened veterans who had been campaigning for more than a year. Now they fell upon the 9th Red Cavalry Division at Tikhvin – north-east of Petrograd. The Communist horsemen received a bad beating but were able to escape. For 420 White casualties, the Red Army paid with 656 lives. The proletarians on horseback had learned a bloody lesson but they would get payback.

poland_4.png

-----------------------------------------------------------
* This was a case of a lot of noise about nothing. My original plan was to isolate Balodis, starve him, then move on towards Riga. But in order to achieve that goal I would have needed at least four corps mutually supporting each other. I could have scraped together enough men but was severely lacking command talent. There was only one general in the area who was high-ranking enough to form a corps (Budyenny). The plan had been too ambitious. But it wasn't a complete waste, Budyenny's army had killed a few Whites at Daugavpils and destroyed the depot which would complicate Balodis' supply in the future.
** Basically, I was using the same trick over and over again in this match. Forward defence. Rather than attack, I put a stack on defensive posture into the most likely path of enemy advance. In this AAR it must seem as if my opponents ran into these traps without ever learning. But what this AAR doesn't reflect is how many times I set traps in vain. My estimate: less than 20% were successful.
This type of passive-aggressive defence is extremely hard to beat. “Passive” because it aims at waging defensive battles, “aggressive” since it defends by forward movement and is not contend with securing the objective cities but also strives to control the road to them as well. Lately, a few of my opponents have employed similar tactics against me. It is almost impossible to avoid this kind of traps completely and it usually comes at the price of a slower advance.
That does not mean that the Reds are easier to play. In my opinion, the Whites have a 70% chance of winning even without using the “recognize independence” option that brings Finland, the Balts and Caucasians into the war. But I think this AAR is showing that a successful Red campaign is possible even in a PBEM.
*** This move was also designed to contain Balodis and Laidoner, who after Budyenny's march south were left unopposed and could have advanced in his rear.
Also it was part of a bigger strategy of mine. Since the start of this game, I have continuously target isolated, small White stacks. If one leaves such intruders alone, they will grab cities and wreck the railway network. On the other hand, they make for great targets of opportunity. Whenever, I could spare a division or a corps and happened to have an active commander, it would mount small counter-attacks like this one. Long-term this tactic eats away at the shallow White manpower pool.

again a great update and an interesting view on the merits of an active defense, I guess particularly useful in RuS given the relative power of the defence esp if you get a chance to dig some trenches?

at least you've contained the first thrust of the Poles, but I guess that is not them out of it yet

again a great update and an interesting view on the merits of an active defense, I guess particularly useful in RuS given the relative power of the defence esp if you get a chance to dig some trenches?

I'd say most definitely yes, especially given winter conditions. A stack with an engineer can entrench itself very quickly, further increasing the utility of the mobile, aggressive defense.

Great update Bornego! I'm somewhat surprised at the failure of the Polish attack. Granted, you make very aggressive use of requisitioning and as such tend to have larger armies, but I still expected the Polish forces to be larger than they were and have much more punch.

Ahh That may be a Less of a Great Victory than you think. Those Elite troops are limited as with most Polish troops to the Ukraine. Those Militia however are a Completely different story.

Also It seems you've sent another Competent General to that Front. Lebedev if I remember correctly is a 4-1-1 with a few Nice special abilities.

You pulled Budyenny out of the Baltics just in time - always wise to recognize when a plan no longer has value and needs to be dropped. And you retook Velikiye Luki, which must be good for your supply situation.

Nothing too spectacular in this turn (except the bloody nose you gave to the Poles), but considering how quickly things could've turned spectacularly bad in the Baltics and with the Poles, that's a good thing in itself. :)

Well, so far the Poles have brought more NM (and captured guns) than they made you lost. But for how long ?

With 2:1 ratio in YOUR favor, I don't see how you could lose :) Maybe if Finland came in, but I believed you home ruled it out.

I've noticed also that forward defence is a much much better way of defending, but if your opponent does not have armored trains in his stack, it's very much a vain attempt then. In ROP it's a bit easier as armies can take a lot more damage and there's always an abundance of ** leaders, but there's no railways so you have to maneuver alot.

WOW!

Please allow me to acknowlegde both your superb gaming skills and your incredibly gripping writing style. I've just read this whole AAR (almost) in one sitting and am amazed by the way you manage to lead what seems to be a lost cause to such heights. Bravo, Sir!

Now, please, please let your readers learn what was the outcome of this monumental struggle?