• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the by, the picture editing for the shot with Frunze's route south is top notch. I shudder to think how long it would take me to do something similar.
Have to second this. And I've also noticed how, besides making pretty pictures, you create informative maps with a lot of information crammed in there, without the whole thing becoming unwieldy. That's a nice balancing act. :)

I was going to shout that the Polish were coming, but your latest comment suggest we might be overlooking something... Did Petrograd fall to a lightning White strike? Is there an event that allows the Japanese to 'intervene' with their entire army? Nah, didn't think so. Oh well, just have to wait and see, I guess. :)

Well, since we are betting on bad event for Reds- there are few of them of real BIG significance. I would say if not Poland entered the war, then I wage on Independence recognised + war declared from Balts+Georgia. Still I think Reds are in the sugar overall, and it is not game turning point (since I think Finns not allowed at all).

In the Central Asia it is a blitzkrieg for Whites - they have advantage and need to rush at all cost. If they fail to attack real fast Reds can entrench. That what happened in this game.

The whole theater of operations is not important overall and the decision to send there Martinov's army is strange. It is dispersion of efforts and it contributed greatly to the defeats Siberians faced. Even more strange is that army failed to accomplish its task an wipe reds out of Aralsk (current army strength is about medium red division - it is BAD).

That sums it up nicely.

Wait a moment has Trotsky been killed by some tiny utterly insignificant force that you would have discounted utterly utterly wrecking your national morale.

Luckily not quite that. But someone's NM made a dramatic shift. :)

And I've also noticed how, besides making pretty pictures, you create informative maps with a lot of information crammed in there, without the whole thing becoming unwieldy. That's a nice balancing act. :)

I was going to shout that the Polish were coming, but your latest comment suggest we might be overlooking something... Did Petrograd fall to a lightning White strike? Is there an event that allows the Japanese to 'intervene' with their entire army? Nah, didn't think so. Oh well, just have to wait and see, I guess. :)

Thanks for the compliment! Means a lot from one of the readers that encouraged me from the very start. :)

As for the nasty surprise in January 1920, let's just say a lot of bad things happened at once and mutually intensified each other.

Well, since we are betting on bad event for Reds- there are few of them of real BIG significance. I would say if not Poland entered the war, then I wage on Independence recognised + war declared from Balts+Georgia. Still I think Reds are in the sugar overall, and it is not game turning point (since I think Finns not allowed at all).

Independance was already recognized. Balts are in the war, the Finns are banned by houserule but the Caucasians are still available; so is Yudenich by the way.

Chapter 22 - A fistful of Dynamite: Moscow, 30 December 1919 - 1st January 1920

It's the economy, stupid!
-
Carville[1]

On December 30, 1919, the members of the recently created Politburo convened at Moscow.[2] Eight men sat around the table, but only five of them had voting rights: Lenin, Trotzky, Stalin, Kamenev and Krestinsky. The mood was excellent since 1919 had been a good year for the Bolshevik cause. Great victories had been gained on all fronts. However, it was noted with some regret that substantial territorial gains had only been made on the Siberian front. The East was the source of great Soviet hopes. As early as November, Trotzky had assured Lenin that collapse of Kolchak's counter-revolutionary regime was imminent. But now December 1919 was nearing its end and the stubborn admiral was still ruling at Omsk. Lenin was getting increasingly impatient. But Trotzky wasn't intimidated, instead he laid out plans for a new offensive against Perm that had already been put into motion. The fall of Perm would surely seal the fate of Kolchak's misguided regime.

Then it was Trotzky's turn to raise uncomfortable questions; his target was Stalin. Troubling reports of food shortages all over Southern, Western and Northern Russia had reached Trotzky's desk. The depot in Novgorod, Tzaritsyn and Kharkov were utterly exhausted. Pertograd, Kursk, Tambov, Voronezh, … everywhere the stockpiles were almost depleted. How was it possible that the responsible commanders – he looked at Stalin and Kamanev - had allowed the situation to deteriorate so far? How was Soviet Russia supposed to defeat the counter-revolution if several of the biggest cities under Soviet control were threatened by famine. If this catastrophic trend couldn't be stopped very soon, combat forces would have to be withdrawn from key front sectors which in turn was likely to result in the fall of Tzaritsyn, Kharkov, Novgorod and possibly even Petrograd.

Stalin was ready to dismiss the critique. His men could always live of the land, confiscate kulak property and surely the pro-communist population would be happy to “donate” supplies as well. But at this point Stalin's dream-castles were rudely torn done when Trotzky innocently asked: “Comrade Stalin, didn't you report months ago that your front had been cleared of all kulaks?” Even Lenin sided with Trotzky and dryly added that the countryside wouldn't be able to provide much food either since famine was ravaging most of the land.

1920januarymap2.png

At last, the Politburo settle upon a decision: Something had to be done about the supply situation – and soon! If only someone had known what ...
Supplies had been shuttled to the front for months, but all it achieved was to drain the depots in the hinterland. Tactical retreats would only decrease the territory contributing towards feeding the Red Army. Building more depots would take time since there weren't many supply trains to spare.[3] At least, it was agreed that as soon as more money could be raised the focus of recruitment would be shifted towards increasing the logistical capacities of the Red Army. Unfortunately, it would be months before these change would become effective. Until then the Red Army would have to scrape by somehow.

Later the members of the Politburo wondered how a meeting that had started with so much confidence had ended with everyone worried. But at least there was still the hope of Kolchak's imminent doom. Surely it would end the civil war?

The next day, Lenin sat alone at his desk in the Kremlin. The catastrophic supply situation was keeping him busy. New directives against hoarders, idlers and bourgeois moneybags had to be signed. Iron Felix would have a busy New Year …
His work was interrupted when a short telegram was delivered. It originated from Semyon Budyenny, the commander of the Western front:

“Polish vanguard has crossed the boarder in force STOP 200.000 more Poles to follow STOP No troops available to halt them STOP Require reinforcements STOP”

Lenin's face grew pale. How was he supposed to send more troops to the Western front when the supply network was already strained to its breaking point? On the verge of victory over the White counter-revolution, Poland had stabbed Soviet Russia in its back!

On January 1st 1920, more bad news arrived. This time, it came from the East. A Bolshevik spy in Kolchak's bureaucracy sent a troubling report: A day earlier Kolchak's state was in utter dissolution. Ministers were plundering the treasury. Noble ladies, general's wives and whores fought over tickets on one of the few trains leaving towards Vladivostok. Kolchak himself was said to have reserved an entire train for his personal belongings. But as soon as the news of Poland's entry into the war arrived, the mood had miraculously shifted. Generals returned to the front, bureaucrats to their desks and soldiers to their units. Newly raised units marched confidently to the trains that would bring them to the front rather than evacuate dignitaries. A week earlier Kolchak's recruits would have had to be forced at gunpoint! Now the admiral's regime had caught a second wind. It would fight on for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes:

Obviously, I have some explaining to do. In the last turn of 1919 four events happened. Three of them were responsible for leaving me in a pretty bad mood:

1. A supply crisis that engulfed most of the North, West and South of Russia:

This had been coming for a while but towards the end of 1919, it reached a critical level. Only the Eastern front and the cities in the very centre of Bolshevik territory (Moscow, Tula, Nizhny Novgorod) had still well-filled depots.

It is fairly common to trigger a global supply crisis with the Reds if one recruits aggressively. I have seen it happen as early as the winter of 1918/19. Especially Southern Russia tends to be a supply wasteland in Great Campaign games. The massive increase of supply production that resulted from the depot upgrades at Tzaritsyn and Kharkov helpd me avoid such an early crisis. Even more important was that I managed to keep the cities along the Volga. If the Siberians take Simbirsk, Kazan and Penza, the Red forces on the Eastern front have to be supplied from Moscow as well which will strain its capacities beyond the breaking point since it has to transfer supplies south and east at the same time. But by the winter of 1919/1920 what I had dreaded hit in full force. Until then supply issues had been limited to the Kharkov area. But now they were now striking at Tzaritsyn and the entire Northern front as well. Even the depots at Voronezh and Kursk were almost empty and it was only a matter of turns until Moscow, Tula and Orel would share the same fate …

I have never seen supply troubles at Petrograd before this game. This was the one depot I had deemed inexhaustible. The supply crisis on the Northern front was a very nasty and unexpected surprise.

Obviously, I am to blame for this mess. I always try to recruit as aggressively as possible. With the Reds and Siberians this can easily end in a global supply crisis. But the Reds really have no choice. It's literally “recruit or die”!​

2. Poland entered the war:

Actually, that should not have happened in late December 1919. The event can trigger in January 1920 at the earliest. A bit weird, but I won't complain – it was just one turn.
The Polish army is quite the beast: it can throw approximately 4.000 pw worth of troops into battle – they will be under the direct control of the Siberian player. Polish generals are pretty good as well; Pilsudski in particular is excellent. But Polish troops suffer from one severe constraint: They are limited to fighting in Belarus, the Ukraine and Lithuania. But that is bad enough. Soviet Russia had already lost Minsk to Poland via event (there are two events that simulate Poland occupying territory in Belarus during 1919). In Gomel, Kharkov and Chernigov, there were three more provincal capitals vulnerable to Polish attacks. But any further loss of territory would only decrease my territorial base which would make the supply crisis even worse.
Last but not least, the Reds will lose 1 point of NM each turn as long as the Polish hold Minsk (luckily Kiev is in Southern White hands, if the Polish could conquer it the same penalty would apply). My comfortable lead in NM will now steadily melt away unless I manage to win more battles.​

winter1919p.png

3. Poland's entry into the war boosted Siberian NM:

But the nastiest surprise may have been that Siberian NM suddenly increased by 58 points from late December to early January! How did that happen?
The event that brings Poland into the war also unlocks all Polish territory including a handful of objective cities. In game terms, this works as if the Siberian had conquered these cities. They thus gain NM for each of these objectives. Especially Warsaw is worth a lot! In total this gives the Siberians 60 points of NM! In theory, this is balanced by a NM penalty that the same event includes (-59 points). But unfortunately, the NM penalty is subtracted before the game unlocks the Polish objectives. Usually that doesn't matter but in this case, Siberian NM was already down to 2 points. It didn't matter that the game subtracted 59 points from that since NM can't drop below 0 points. But then it immediately shot up to 60 points because of all the territory the Siberians had just “conquered”.
Nice bug, eh? But again I won't complain since Durk and Ian each got a little bug of their own that screwed with them. There is a bug (fixed now) that spawns a few Polish troops as hostiles. Durk thus had to crush a few of his own tank batallions and the garrison of Danzig. Let's just call it a Polish civil war.​

nmautumn1919.png
1: Battle of Buinsk, Grichin-Almazov's army is destroyed.
2: Volunteers recognize the independence of Finland as well as the Baltic and Caucasian states.
3: Balts enter the war
4: Battles of Aralsk and Aktjubinsk. This should have been enough to bring Siberian NM from 2 points to 0, but Durk managed to get some NM back by defeating Green rebels.
5: Poland enters the war and Kolchak's rabble regains its fighting spirit.​

4. Denikin resigned and Wrangel assumed command:

The fourth event that hit us was one I watched with mixed feelings. Denikin's offensives in 1919 hadn't yielded any significant territorial gains. And Southern White NM had suffered severely in the process.

Historically, something similar happened, the Southern White launched a massive offensive in 1919 and advanced far north. They were only stopped when their stretched supply lines came under attack from Anarchists and Red cavalry. This left their frontline units short of supplies at a critical moment and the Volunteer Army was repulsed at Orel in October 1919. After that defeat, White forces were in constant retreat. Their heartland, Rostov and the Kuban, were lost early in 1920 and the last remnants of their forces had to be evacuated to the Crimea. The evacuation proved disastrous - one third of the men and all heavy equipment were left behind. After this fiasco Denikin stepped down and Wrangel became the new commander of the remnants of the Volunteer Army.

The game tries to simulate this: if Southern White NM is lower than 70 points, it will remove Denikin and elevate Wrangel to a four star general (this event was bugged as well (at first Ian ended up with neither Denikin nor Wrangel, but we were able to spawn Wrangel with an event of our own the next turn) in the latest version of RUS, lodilefty, the master of bug-squashing, has fixed this issue).

For my part, I was rather elated to be rid of Denikin. On the other hand, Wrangel's promotion was very bad news. Until that point he had been a lowly one star general in our game. Now he would soon be in charge of all White forces concentrated around Kharkov. And that was a lot worse than having to deal with Denikin!​

5. Failure to finish the Siberians off prior to 1920:

You will notice on the chart above that Siberian NM was at 2 points for 4 turns! Obviously this raises the question why I failed to finish them off before Poland's intervention ruined my chances at a quick vcitory. There were two reasons for this:

• With only a few points of NM missing, I didn't want to take stupid risks or run into a trap; both of which might have allowed Durk to recover NM. Instead I opted for smaller strikes with high success chances. And there was indeed a turn where I robbed the last two points of NM from Durk - but unfortunately, he immediately made up for the loss by beating some Greens.
  • Besides, big operations weren't really possible at the time. The last major Siberian field army was concentrated in an excellent defensive position at Ufa while half my army was blocked on the wrong side of the Volga. Bad weather and lousy generals did the rest.
In essence, Durk's survival was thus just as much the result of him playing smart defence as it was of me acting too cautious. Still in retrospect, I really wasted an opportunity late in 1919.​

6. Need for a new strategy:

In the big picture this wholesome mess left me with the challenge to readjust my war strategy. The only front where the Red Army had an overwhelming superiority was the East; in the South both sides were evenly matched - the same held true in the North. In the West, the Reds were badly outnumbered by the Poles but luckily this new enemy wouldn't be able to move beyond Belarus and the Ukraine. Now I had to make a choice:

• continue to push the Siberians hard and try to reduce their 60 points of NM to nothing. It would take time and ahead lay a series of excellent defensive positions: Ufa, the Ural mountains, several river lines in Siberia.
  • focus on the Southern White who were suddenly much closer to defeat. Unfortunately, their army was almost as big as the Red Army and in good shape. At the same time, Red supplies in this sector were already extremely strained, sending substantial reinforcements would only deteriorate the situation.
  • switch to defensive on all fronts and hope to wear the enemy down. But this would require a willingness of my enemies to attack that was doubtful.
  • find a rabbit in my hat and pull it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Bill Clinton's campaign strategist for the 1992 presidential elections. The precise quote is: “The economy, stupid”.
[2] The full name was “Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union”.
[3] I had seen this crisis coming for some time and started to slowly increase the number of supply trains – but money is in short supply for the Reds and needed for a lot of things. In consequence, only few depots had been build since the start of the war. And only two of them were on the critical Southern front: the one at Tzaritsyn had been upgraded to level 4 (it starts at level 1) and a new depot had been built at Kharkov which was then increased to level 3.

Last edited:
Ouch that is a Nasty Combination. A Major Supply Crisis and The Siberians having a Second Wind. But then Wrangel getting a surprise Promotion and Now the Southern Whites have there best Leader in Charge of there Army. The Poles are Bad but highly limited But Even so they are stoppable. Since the Ukraine Is controlled by the Southern Whites the Polish Ukrainian Reinforcement event will not Fire Right?

I'll admit that I hadn't quite appreciated how fast your position could turn around. Having read your White AARs, I foolishly assumed that this too would be another case of getting the upper hand and then proceeding straight ahead to victory. Given that, this episode has come as a bit of a shock: it's very much got an end of the second act feeling to it.

I think you should continue focusing your efforts on the Siberians. The reasons are:
1. They're already the closest to defeat in several respects (NM, territory lost, armed forces), not counting the Poles.
2. Their army is small as you've destroyed a fair portion of it.
3. By virtue of the army's small size, the Siberians consume relatively few supplies.

These factors combined mean that offensive action against the Siberians will bear the most fruit in terms on NM and captured supplies. Though, as you've mentioned, the eastern front is where supplies are most plentiful for your own forces, the construction and upgrade of a few well placed depots would serve to ship the supplies being produced and captured in the east to other, imperiled fronts. Keep in mind that, like the Southern Whites, the Siberians also get periodical supply deliveries of up to 2000 units delivered to Vladivostok. Even if supplies from the east only make it south to Tsaritsyn and maybe Kharkov, it will greatly reduce the supply burden on Moscow and the center. Key to this would be building or upgrading depots in Syzran, Penza, and Tambow, as well as keeping the rail lines open, in addition to a supply strategy where depots are built and upgraded across the map.

As sadistic as this sounds, I love seeing you struggle. :p Success seems to come easily for you most of the time, so the ultimate outcome being uncertain makes the game much more interesting for me as a reader! It also makes it much more impressive when you pull through.

I don't know the game engine because i doN,t own the game...yet :p But my 2 cents are...

Your supplies situation seems to me to be your more immediate threat. Supplies are gained by depot and cities right? Then I would switch on the defensive in all but the southern front, send Trotsky south with order to take the most land he is capable of while holding the ennemies. If i'm not mistaken, it's the southern whites that still control the bigest whites cities?

Hm you're in a rough spot !

The supply problem is terrible and it will take a lot of time and money to solve it. Perhaps transfer some men from the West to the East ? It will help you pressuring the Siberians and will free some supplies in Ukraine.
About the NM problem caused by the fall of Minsk, I would suggest to end the alliance with the anarchists. If I remember correctly being allied with them consumes some NM each turn, ending the alliance should balance your NM. As usefull as they were, they don't have any leaders and have taken some serious hits. It's sad to get ride of one of your rare mobile force but it will also save supplies on a critical front !

Last edited:
oh, whow, there was I thinking you were close to an impressive victory ... well if you win it will be all the more impressive, but it seems a time for very hard choices. I presume there is no Nansen inspired food relief on the way, so you have to make depots etc your priority. How long can you afford to ignore the Poles?

Strangely I didn't have such a big supply shortage when playing Reds in several games.
Measures I used:
1. Station armies in big cities, especially in fall/winter time
2. Do not make TOO BIG armies. Army greater than about 50000 needs external supply even when in the city.
3. Try to keep loyalty high to ensure good food outpuut.
4. Crush rebellions (big Volga rebellion near Samara) and get a lot of of supply carriages from irredentist+some captured carriages from Whites would be nice.
5. Build supply carriages (rarely used, only when REALLY needed)
6. Build depots (I rarely used it, only when REALLY needed)
7. Send supply from rear to frontline (send empty supply carriages back to recharge).
8. Fast supply of advancing troops can be done by sending armoured trains and Air forces.

Well, my point is, if you need to create 200000 men strong STACK OF DOOM, use it fast to grab the good depot location and disassemble until next offensive. Otherwise you won't be able to feed them in the field - especially during winter.

New update tomorrow!

@DarkGarry, good advice! But I have been doing these things for a while now – except for not creating big armies (my biggest stack is close to 100.000 men) – that is a necessity when you want to beat big White armies.
In a way my current crisis is a result of my previous success. I managed to keep Red casualties pretty low. As a consequence, the Red Army has grown like crazy (by January 1920 it's total strength was approximately 800.000 men – to put this in context: the Red Army starts with less than 100.000 men in the summer of 1918!). It has now reached a critical mass where the territory simply can't produce enough supplies any more.
I have never seen global supply crisis in games against the AI but it has become a common feature of my PBEMs. If I play the Whites and can't crush my enemy the conventional way (which has become a lot tougher with patch 1.05), my secondary strategy is to force the Reds into a position where their supply system is bound to collapse.
Actually I discovered that this is possible in a PBEM against the guy who designed the scenario. He had beaten the crap out of the Siberian player but it came at the cost of neglecting my Southern Whites. That changed once he received reinforcements from his victorious armies in the East and forced me into a stalemate with frontlines from Smolensk to Orel and Ryazan. His defence collapsed only during the winter of 1919/20 when his supply situation became untenable.

@Dewirix: It's not yet a catastrophe. Starvation is still a few turns away. And hopefully, I will be able to avoid it altogether. - I like to think I have learnt a few lessons from Who put the stranded admiral in charge?.

@2Coats: Welcome! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Since the Ukraine Is controlled by the Southern Whites the Polish Ukrainian Reinforcement event will not Fire Right?

Indeed, as things stand I don't have to worry about the Ukrainians joining the Polish army.
For those who don't know about this event:
  • the Poles get free Ukrainian reinforcements if they conquer certain cities (Kiev, Ekaterinoslav and Kharkov). Currently except for Kharkov these cities are held by the Southern White which robs the Poles of these potential reinforcements (Poles can't conquer cities from their Southern White allies).
  • Ukrainian units are extremely valuable since they don't share the territorial restriction of the Poles.

How long can you afford to ignore the Poles?

As long as the Poles hold Minsk, the Reds will lose -1 NM each turn. In the short term it doesn't matter too much. But long term I will have to find a solution. However, my commander on that front is called Budyenny! Let's just say, the Poles will get a warm welcome! :laugh:

I think you should continue focusing your efforts on the Siberians. The reasons are:
1. They're already the closest to defeat in several respects (NM, territory lost, armed forces), not counting the Poles.
2. Their army is small as you've destroyed a fair portion of it.
3. By virtue of the army's small size, the Siberians consume relatively few supplies.

Though, as you've mentioned, the eastern front is where supplies are most plentiful for your own forces, the construction and upgrade of a few well placed depots would serve to ship the supplies being produced and captured in the east to other, imperiled fronts.
Key to this would be building or upgrading depots in Syzran, Penza, and Tambow, as well as keeping the rail lines open, in addition to a supply strategy where depots are built and upgraded across the map.

As sadistic as this sounds, I love seeing you struggle. :p Success seems to come easily for you most of the time, so the ultimate outcome being uncertain makes the game much more interesting for me as a reader! It also makes it much more impressive when you pull through.

Actually the Southern White NM is lower since Poland has entered the war. But in every other aspect I agree with your analysis: supply and troop strength make continuing to go after the Siberians tempting.

Shipping supply from the Eastern front to the South and North is virtually impossible. The gaps between depots are just too big. Especially east of Moscow is a huge gap, I would have to build four depots to get supplies from Simbirsk and Kazan to Moscow. And then at least two more to establish a link to Petrograd. And even then these level 1 depots wouldn't push enough supplies forward to make much of a difference. It's far more effective to increase supply production locally instead.

It certainly made for a nice twist to this story. I am not yet sure how it will turn out in the end, we are only in early March 1920 currently. :)

Your supplies situation seems to me to be your more immediate threat. Supplies are gained by depot and cities right? Then I would switch on the defensive in all but the southern front, send Trotsky south with order to take the most land he is capable of while holding the ennemies.

Supplies have indeed become my Achilles' heel but attacking on the Southern front is rather tricky. Ian has concentrated his troops very well. The situation around Kharkov has pretty much stagnated into trench warfare. Usually attacking is deadly in such a situation.

About the NM problem caused by the fall of Minsk, I would suggest to end the alliance with the anarchists. If I remember correctly being allied with them consumes some NM each turn, ending the alliance should balance your NM. As usefull as they were, they don't have any leaders and have taken some serious hits. It's sad to get ride of one of your rare mobile force but it will also save supplies on a critical front !

I never took the option to ally with the Anarchists, they joined for free when Southern White troops invaded their territory. :) In consequence, I never had to pay the -1 NM per turn.
Besides, I have come to like my Anarchists. They will go on harrassing the Whites for quite some time.

Chapter 23 - Kill and Pray: Perm, December 1919 - January 1920

The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.
-
Admiral John Fisher

When Poland entered the war, the offensive that had been supposed to deliver the final blow to the fragile morale of Kolchak's Siberians had already begun. The operation was code-named Scythe and had still been designed by the unfortunate Vatzetis. Now it would be up to his subordinates, Egorov and Grittis, to execute the plan. The target of Operation Scythe was Perm.
In November, the attack had been delayed by White gunboats blocking the river crossings but by mid December, Egorov had been able to march his corps across the frozen Kama and secure the railway line. But Egorov's relatively weak 7th Corps was only supposed to provide support. The main blow would be delivered by the men of Grittis' 4th Corps. Both formations consisted of veterans who had fought through the bloody battles on the western bank of the Volga in 1919. The Politburo was confident that these soldiers would rise to the task.
On the other hand, the Siberians were presumed to be relatively weak since Kolchak had concentrated almost all his remaining troops at Ufa. Therefore, it was vital to ensure that Malchanov couldn't escape at the last moment. It was here that the idea of a scythe came in. Grittis would swing into Molchanov's rear, taking control of the railway to Ekaterinburg, before he would strike at Perm and mow down the Siberians.*

perma.png

Grittis acted according to the script. The crucial railway line was interrupted on December 22nd, 1919. Then the 4th Corps moved onto Perm. It was at this point that the plan hit its first pothole. Egorov decided it was beneath him to play second fiddle to Grittis and advanced towards the Ural Mountains rather than support Grittis' attack.** The 4th Corps was thus on its own. But it still outnumbered the Whites by 2:1. It would have to suffice.

The Siberians had two divisions entrenched in the suburbs of Perm: Bakich's 1st Division and Grivin's very weak 3rd Division – these units were well equipped and had even a few armoured cars as support; but they were also relatively small. On the other hand, the 4th Red Corps was a huge formation made up of three infantry divisions, an elite Latvian regiment, a Cheka combat detachment and several garrison units. They were supported by armoured cars of their own, tachankas and several artillery batteries – some of the latter were actually Siberian cannon that had been captured when Grichin-Almazov's Army was destroyed.

perme.png

On January 4, 1920, Grittis had his artillery start the bombardment of Perm. Khanzhin, who had taken command of the cities' defences only days earlier, had his men respond in kind. Grittis proved that he wasn't a proponent of Brusilov's artillery tactics. Rather than a short concentrated fireburst, he chose to shell the Red positions for hours. Luckily, ammunition was plentiful. It wasn't before the afternoon that he ordered an assault. His men suffered heavily for it but led by the elite Latvians they eventually gained a foothold in Perm's suburbs.

permb.png

However Grittis wasn't alive to see his men succeed anymore. Just as they stormed out of cover, Grittis command post was hit by a Siberian shell. The Red general and most of his staff were instantaneously dead – the 4th Corps was left leaderless. Strangely, it didn't matter much – the fighting had spilled into the streets of Perm at this point. As White and Red fought their way street for street and house for house through the city, their commanders increasingly lost control. It was bloody chaos. Parts of the city were burning, others were nothing but rubble and ruins as the artillerymen on both sides continued to shell any place where they presumed their enemy. As the sun set on the bloodbath, the Siberians still held out in the city centre. But they had already lost more than half of their soldiers. Especially Bakich's 1st Division had suffered horrible casualties and was down to 40% of its men. Red losses were heavy as well but not quite as bad.

permf.png

During the night, combat died down for a few hours only to recommence with fresh rage the next morning. In the early hours, the Siberians continued their stubborn resistance and made the Red Army pay for every house it conquered. But shortly before noon, the valiant 1st Division broke. Bakich himself had gone missing a few hours before. Rumour had it he had grabbed a rifle to lead a counter-attacked. The much less potent 3rd Siberian Division did its best to hold the line but it couldn’t prevent the slaughter of the remnants of Bakich's division. At the end of the day, the 1st Siberian Division had ceased to exist; Grivin's 3rd Division was down to 50% of its original strength but still held out around the city hall and the river harbour where it was supported by the crews of eight gunboats that were trapped in the ice.

permc.png

The final Red assault came in the early hours of January 6, 1920. The leaderless men of the 4th Red Corps viscously attacked the remaining White strongholds. Grivin died with his last soldiers when the city hall was shot to rubble by Red artillery. Makhin, a Komuch general without a command, shared the same fate an hour later, as he led his personal staff in a desperate charge against Red infantry advancing upon the harbour. It gained the Siberian sailors just enough time to blow up the valuable gunboats before they could fall into Communist hands.

permd.png

By noon, the Bolsheviks had completely cleared the city of enemy forces. The Red flag was hoisted over the burning pile of rubble that had once been Perm. If Poland's entry into the war had given rise to fresh hopes amongst the Siberians, the loss of Perm and the annihilation of Khanzhin's corps brought them rudely back to reality.*** Kolchak's army was just as battered as before but now his hinterland was threatened by invasion as well. In fact, in the weeks to come, the Red Army would be slowed down more by rough territory and winter, incompetence and supply than by enemy resistance.
On the other hand, the Bolsheviks had paid a high price as well. Almost 4.000 of their soldiers had fallen at Perm. The survivors were utterly exhausted, units were disorganized and material needed to be replaced. It would take at least a month to get the 4th Corps combat ready again. Grittis' untimely death only aggravated the situation. Generals were a scarce commodity in Soviet Russia - especially high ranking ones. It would take a while before even a one-star general could be found to take over.

Next update: Heavy clashes on the Southern front and more Anarchists bravado.

-----------------------------------------------------------
* Moreover, I wanted to avoid a possible trap. After all, the railway line could not only be utilized to evacuate but also to bring in reinforcements at the last minute.
A side effect was that the Siberians at Perm had nowhere left to retreat since all surrounding regions were completely under Red control.
** Egorov was inactive both in late December 1919 and in early January 1920. This made him useless in a supporting capacity. Grittis would have to switch to offensive posture upon entering hostile territory, the inactive Egorov however couldn't and thus wouldn't provide any help. Rather than let him sit around, I chose to start securing the railroad into the Siberian heartland.
*** Siberian NM went from 60 points to 40 within a single turn. 7 points were lost in battles (if you have counted correctly, you will notice that they lost only 2 at Perm – the rest was lost somewhere else). Durk had taken some options and used reforms again – both had been impossible when his NM was at a critical level. And the loss of Perm cost them 5 points as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Grittis was the fourth two-star general I had lost in battle within little more than half a year. It wasn't as painful a loss as Makhno and Blucher half a year earlier since Grittis (2-1-1) hadn't been an elite general. But that wasn't the point. The real problem was that I was starting to run very short of the high-ranking generals (two and three stars) needed to command corps.

When it comes to command talent, the Reds are at an disadvantage not just regarding quality but just as importantly regarding quantity. Especially high-ranking generals are very scarce. Unfortunately, my losses were disproportionally high amongst this most valuable group.

generalsdead2.png

1918 was still acceptable. There is no way to avoid the loss of Muraviev and Sorokin. These two left social-revolutionary generals are removed by event. Apart from them I only lost Mironov a typical 2-0-0 Red one-star.
My good luck ended abruptly in June 1919, the black month on the Southern front. In Makhno and Blucher, I lost two of my best corps commanders. Grigoriev's removal by event was just the ugly icing on that rotten cake. The year continued badly, Zhloba was lost the next month. He hadn't been the most talented of my generals but a strategic rating of 3 elevated him above the incompetent mass of Red leaders. Vatzetis' loss – again due to an event – was a lot more hurtful, though. 4-3-3 is damn good on any side. This is about the same quality as Denikin or Mai-Maievski! Grittis' death affected the same front sector for the second time within three months. It was a loss that couldn't be replaced anymore. Increasingly, I would have to cope with a lack of commanders.

generalsdead3.png

To some degree I had been able to make up for losses by gaining promotions for other commanders. But at the same time the Red Army had been massively expanded which only further increased the need for leadership. I invested most of my EP in new generals and was still barely able to keep up. Quality is irreplaceable, though. For example Makhno had transformed into a 6-5-6 half-god by the time he died. I severely doubt that I will get another general even close to such stats. This drainage of high-quality generals will particularly hamper offensive operations. Complex or prolonged attacks are almost impossible with generals who have a strategic rating of 2 or 3 since they tend to be inactive half of the time.

...seriously? Again? I've never seen such a mortality rate before! A theory: your computer has become sentient and is devising further measures to make the game more difficult for you. :p

All things considered, a good attack on Perm. You certainly gave better than you got this update in terms of casualties, both in soldiers and officers. I believe that Grivin has the training officer ability as well, a useful tool in building effective armies. Especially true for the Siberians now that they're more quantitatively outmatched than ever.

So, that's what I should have been doing in our 1755 game: kill your generals :p

I think you need to order your generals to stay as far back from the front line as possible. At this rate, the common soldiery seem to have far better odds of surviving the war than the high command.

I think you need to order your generals to stay as far back from the front line as possible. At this rate, the common soldiery seem to have far better odds of surviving the war than the high command.
The historically plausible under your name in addition to your post made it.

Last edited: