+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 232 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 77 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: OConnor

True...
    "Remeber when we talk about war, we are really talking about peace." George W. Bush 2002

Grand Library of Fenwick

Karpov Doctrine

For my people:California Empire AAR

For my People: the next California AAR

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Congratulations, dag231!
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

My bad... will get one in this evening... got log-jammed with some real writing that had to be done...

Congratulations!
    10 more years!

Okay... for the character writer of the week...

Its a tough call.

There were a few that I read that were damn exceptional, but to me, the one that I think should take it is the one that has an almost guilty pleasure to it.

Its like you are getting gas and as you go to pay, you see a stand full of twinkies. You know they are toxin and will probably knock a year off your life. You know that if your significant other was here he/she/it would rip you a new hole if you grabbed one, but they arent. So you grab one and place it on the counter. Sure, the clerk looks at you and smirks, but you will probably never see him/her/it again, so screw 'em. And as you walk out the door, hiding your twinkie so nobody else can see, you eagerly await the seclusion of the car so you can unwrap your toxic goo and scarf if down.

That kind of hidden pleasure.

To me, that twinkie is DOOM'S DAY: A Latverian AAR ...

Now, its not a new AAR by any stretch of the imagination, but its Doctor freaking Doom, and reading it just makes me smile even though I know the outcome was never in doubt. All the other superheroes as well just add to the formaldehyde that is the twinkie.

In terms of newer characters, America Empire (USA/36) has some great writing going, and there was a fine Russian HOI2 DD AAR going, but I cant find it...

I am afraid that I didnt spend as much time as I would have liked reading all the other AARs in the other sections, so hopefully they will be highlighted by our new winner...
    Last edited by dag231; 23-06-2006 at 14:29.

Way to go Arilou!
    "Remeber when we talk about war, we are really talking about peace." George W. Bush 2002

Grand Library of Fenwick

Karpov Doctrine

For my people:California Empire AAR

For my People: the next California AAR

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Congratulations, Arilou!
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

You were wise to choose DOOM! dag231. Very wise indeed.

Congrats Arilou, spiffin' job!
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

Sweden the snabbmat nation Jacko the Panda's Avatar

Yes, congratulations. Maybe he will notice if the threads name will be edited.
    Finland goes bald.
    No more times of trouble nor strife for Finland, for Kekkonen is here again...
    or is to be here again... erm... was to being here again... anyways.

Sig Sig Sputnik Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Thumbs up

A well deserved AARward, Arilou

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    Nice work Arilou. Congrats

'Any system which aims at taking freedom by open force to other peoples will only make that freedom hated and prevent its triumph. '
    - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

congrats! DOOM ftw!
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

AARlander
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III

Congratulations, Arilou! Glad to see this continue.
    Good comments and worthless spam, the difference is just an eyelash

Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau | Conquering CK by the dictionary. Updates EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    Littoral Insanity, a Hinterland of Genius | World Conquest by land and sea. Updates daily.

anonymous4401's Signature Repositorium
    The AARlander Issue #6: February 2008
    The AARland Choice AwAARds Results Archive

Congratulations!!
    10 more years!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Haha, Thanks everyone! Though as said I really ought to share the credit with Stan Lee
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting initiative and I congratulate both the winners and Fenwick for starting it. I would suggest that when nominating a new individual, the person doing the nominating saying a few words about those characters that made the person choose their successor. It might help to entice new readers by seeing a little of what they found so enjoyable about the work and the characters that inhabit it.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Quote Originally Posted by coz1
    This is an interesting initiative and I congratulate both the winners and Fenwick for starting it. I would suggest that when nominating a new individual, the person doing the nominating saying a few words about those characters that made the person choose their successor. It might help to entice new readers by seeing a little of what they found so enjoyable about the work and the characters that inhabit it.
    Didnt you read my twinkie comparison?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dag231
    Didnt you read my twinkie comparison?
    I did, but it did not give me much insight into the actual AAR or its characters you found so entertaining. If this award is to recgonize strong character writing, I should think some discussion of what makes those characters work would be in order. My two ducats, of course.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 232 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 77 102 ... LastLast