• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Commodore Detzler's small fleet had arrived at the tip of the Malay Peninsula at the end of March, 1867 – approximately a year after the first aborted attempt to seize Singapore by sea. He had landed three divisions of infantry on the (remarkably) undefended island of Singapore, and had remained in a defensive position until it became clear that the soldiers would be able to secure the island and a perimeter.

There had been no sign of the British fleet that had engaged Detzler off Hainan at the beginning of the war. In fact, the Royal Navy hadn't shown itself at all in these waters since visiting Detzler with that first overwhelming defeat. They had disappeared and had not contested even as Prussian troops conquered virtually all of British Indochina.

And here, in Malaya, a landing was made unopposed by sea or land where there had been thousands of British soldiers emplaced last year. The soldiers, too, were gone, to all appearances. But Detzler was suspicious.

He had mounted a reconnaissance to the north, as far as the Straits of Molucca, and had determined to climb to the spine of the peninsula with a scouting party.

Detzler, no longer a young man, faltered once more, just short of the summit. His chest was heaving, his sweat-soaked shirt tickling him as it shifted across his breast. He halted, and turned as if he merely intended to observe the sea to the west.

The young men who were with him, who would not dare to take a break while their commander was forging ahead, were happy to pause and rest whenever Detzler did. The tropical weather was brutal, even to men in light cotton shirts or without any at all.

As Detzler scanned his field of vision, the scene was just as it had been for hours. The distant mound of bright green island, some way to the west. The calm, glittering sea which almost lost its texture from this elevated vantage point. The reefed sails tied up to the yards of the three ships of his detachment. They seemingly relaxed in mimicry of their commander. Otherwise, nothing. Like the world had been abandoned to them.

A cry! Immediately, Detzler’s attention focused on the source of the exclamation – his highly motivated midshipman, Gerz, who had climbed ahead on his own initiative to the rugged top of the ridge. Detzler scrambled rapidly toward the gaping officer.

On arriving, and being able to peer over toward the eastern ocean, Detzler sought the cause of the young man’s consternation. Gerz indicated down below.

There was a second ridge between the Prussians and the opposite shore of the peninsula. A valley separated the ridges, and they could look down upon a fairly large habitation at the foot of the far ridge. Nearer, there was a pass between the ridges, which disappeared behind a series of outcroppings in Detzler’s foreground.

Spanning the not insignificant distance between the town and the pass was a solid line of color. Red, mostly, punctuated with white. The white of tall rounded helmets. And the red of countless Royal British Army uniforms.

There must be hundreds of thousands of troops, Detzler reasoned in complete astonishment. But he also felt relief. These troops, of whatever number, were days, if not weeks from Singapore. Thanks to his intuition, there was still time to sail south, embark the three divisions before they were overrun, and return them to the safety of mainland China. But there was no time to be wasted. General Husman would need to be advised immediately, so he could make an orderly withdrawal.

ss290a.gif

Last edited:
Seems you still have Brits everywhere. Still, looking good in S. Africa, and if you can deal with this lot...well, let's just hope you can eventually gain enough to make peace with them. Seems this war has been going on for a while.

By the way - some great writing in that post. Some lovely phrase turns throughout. :D

Rensslaer:

Just caught up. I loved it. "Dry" indeed :p

I hope things are going well with your paper. Links please! to these on-line samples you refered to.

Even if things don't turn out, it's worth it following your dream. I'm slowly building myself back up from square one after mine didn't pan out (jumped off the deep end to give it a shot, a year later I've at least got the shirt on my back), but it was worth it to try.

I hope you have fun no matter how it goes. I did.

coz1 said:
Seems you still have Brits everywhere. Still, looking good in S. Africa, and if you can deal with this lot...well, let's just hope you can eventually gain enough to make peace with them. Seems this war has been going on for a while.

By the way - some great writing in that post. Some lovely phrase turns throughout. :D

ON THE MONEY! :cool: excellent AAR and excellent update!

MORE ! ! ! :D

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

Prussian troops had been battling for control of British-held China since the very beginning of the war. No attempt was ever made to assault the British port and fortress at Hong Kong. However, the rest of British China was gradually worn down by the discreet employment of infantry of superior strength and training, brilliantly led by General Schreiner. Despite persistent rebellions of significant strength, and a strong rally in August of 1867, the Prussians were eliminating the remaining British and native troops in hunt and destroy missions and a war of attrition. Schreiner felt confident enough to release some troops for ventures elsewhere.

In spring of 1866, the Prussians had sought to take advantage of the undefended British Pacific port of Singapore. However, it was soon noticed that many tens of thousands of British troops were stationed nearby, and the Prussians withdrew, beginning a tour of the Pacific that took them (unsuccessfully) to Mexico, then to Peru to put down a revolt, and then back to the South China Sea.

Nearly a year later, Commodore Detzler landed many of these same troops under very similar circumstances. The British fleet had not opposed the landing, and reconnaissance had not shown British Army forces nearby. However, in further scouting after having landed three divisions, Detzler located an overwhelming body of British troops marching south toward Singapore. He quickly moved to warn General Kameke and the Prussian soldiers there.

ss219a.jpg

On April 30th, 1867, Singapore and its surrounding territory was declared secured, and the strengthening of fortifications began. Reinforcements from China were expected, and it was felt that Singapore might be a tenable defensive location despite the massive size of the oncoming British Army. Detzler was heartened that the Prussians still retained all the options, and could still withdraw if so desired. However, a series of unfortunate events soon intervened.

On May 2nd, a sizable British fleet of battle arrived off Singapore, and forced Detzler to retreat into the protection of the harbor. The 4th Squadron, with yet another infantry division embarked, arrived on the scene a day later, and was also forced to take refuge inside Singapore Harbor. The coveted options the Prussians had counted on had just disappeared, and they were forced to rely upon the chancy strategy of fortifying Singapore against attack and hoping that it could hold out against 3 or 4 to one odds by clever use of the terrain.

The Battle of Singapore was joined on the 22nd of May. Truly, the Prussians held a very advantageous position, and their redoubt withstood continuous British assaults through the remainder of the spring. Constant attrition, however, wore heavily upon the Prussians.

Partly due to awareness of the situation in Singapore which had recently been communicated to the Prussian High Command, but mostly due to situations elsewhere in the world, the summer of 1867 was characterized by a frenzied attempt by Prussia to make peace with the British Empire. Alas, Queen Victoria felt herself still in too favorable a position to consider such entreaties.

By August, 1867, Commodore Detzler made a desperate attempt to break out by sea from Singapore. His attempt failed in the face of vastly superior weight of iron on the British side. On August 5th, General Kameke succumbed to his unavoidable fate, and surrendered all Prussian land forces in Singapore to the British Army. Detzler took advantage of the passage of a fierce storm, which blew the Royal Navy ships into disarray, and slipped his small fleet to sea through the British blockade. They returned to China, carrying with them the devastating news.

Always an added little surprise and joy to come across a new update here! :D

As to the update itself - well, that's never good news. Seemed like you had them there for a moment but in the end, it appears the Brits are just too many and in too many places. I think you still have a chance here, but you may not get much money or prestige from any peace deal you are able to make. Keep trying though.

Rensslaer said:
They returned to China, carrying with them the devastating news.
that was a bad bit of luck. how did your losses compare to the losses of the British? not that the British could care how many they lose... have you considered and/or been able to raise any Chinese troops?

were you able to recover from this? or, is this a hint as to the peace that is to come?

shame that you did not have the use of the machine gun in that defense...

OH, i almost forgot. did you have any Engineer units in that defense?

appreciate the update! ! !

is it too soon to ask for MORE? :D

Bad luck with the loss of those troops in Singapore. Worse luck that you can't get Queen Vicki to cease the hostilities. What else could go wrong for Prussia? :(

Keep it up, Rensslaer.

I've been meaning to stop by and give some feedback to feedback. I'm glad I've been able to get a couple of updates up, but I know you guys deserve better than this pace! I'll keep trying.

Hasskugel, thank you for your readership! Yes, I do intend to finish this, though it may be very slow. I've played up to 1869, updated you to 1867 or so, and am both playing occasionally and updating at a rate to hopefully catch up soon.

CGS and LordofMars, welcome! Rey, good to see you again (any relation to el-Rey?)!

Von Lippe, very good to see you back! Did you catch that I've begun a major character who's from Darmstadt? Didn't you say you were from there or something? I meant him in your honor!

Ghostwriter, thank you for your ever-present enthusiasm! No, Singapore had no engineers. I think they were probably one Chinese unit, one black Madagascari unit (from before the Napoleonic coup) and a couple of Prussian units. Might have had some artillery, but otherwise nothing spectacular.

Coz, thank you for your eagle-eyed responses! I'm still going to get caught up on your wonderful Into the West, but I've dropped behind again. You're writing at breathtaking speed again.

Draco, thank you for keeping such close watch over my every move! Good to have you along, as always!

Anonymous, good to see you. Your praise means alot to me, as your AARs are of such epic quality as well!

Brasidias, thank you for your heartfelt words of encouragement. I regret that I've not had time to fully archive my newspaper articles. I'm up to three issues published so far (about 1 a month), and have a fourth in the works. Subscriptions are slow in coming, which is disappointing, and I'm hoping to find another financial sponsor to help me until the paper's fully on its feet. Best wishes to you in your dreams, too. Persistence is the watchword... if you doubt, then read a bio on Harry Truman. That man went through setback after setback before he finally became one of our most respected presidents. Lincoln, if I recall, may have been of similar experience.

Dan Cook... Did I ever acknowledge your note, or thank you? Thanks for dropping by!

Thank you very much to you all! Lord Greven, Heretic, Josh Weber, Aachen, I know you're out there too... I mean to get back to your AARs, but everything in my life is going so slow lately... :)

Be well!

Rensslaer

Last edited:
From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

In central France, the Prussians joined in battle with a large British force at Tours in late March, 1867. Two Prussian corps were reinforced by the 2nd Corps in early April. On the 22nd, the British force surrendered, freeing the 2nd, 5th & 10th Corps to move west toward the coast, where they spent the duration of May assaulting the British line at La Rochelle. The British ultimately fell back and were pushed against the sea. The hapless commanders surrendered. By August, only British command of the Bay of Biscay kept the situation in the west uncertain.

francebefore.gif

In northern France, too, the British had gained a sizeable bridgehead over time. In early April, they assaulted the 6th and 7th Corps, which they pushed back toward Paris. However, joined by the South German 3rd Corps, which had prepared an impressive array of defensive redoubts around Paris, the British broke themselves upon this rock in May. A gradual strengthening of the Prussian and allied position in the wake of success in Austria was beginning to tell. The British were forced back toward the coast.

In concert with massed French divisions, the Prussians divided their forces and caught the British in a pincer. The 1st and 2nd (South German) Corps maintained pressure on the central front through Amiens while the 6th and 7th Corps swung around to attack a British pocket around Lille in late July and the first half of August. Having successfully forced a British retreat, the spearheads converged upon Dunkerque in September, where a decisive victory was achieved and the remnants of 5 depleted British divisions surrendered.

Throughout the summer and fall of 1867, the only region of France where the British held a reasonable degree of control was in Brittany, where meager Prussian forces were unable to dislodge them.

franceafter.gif

Meanwhile, as the battle to secure the northern and western coasts of France proceeded, southern France was a jumping off point for a separate, rather ambitious operation.

Last edited:
I'm here. I just need to catch up. :D

Rensslaer said:
Meanwhile, as the battle to secure the northern and western coasts of France proceeded, southern France was a jumping off point for a separate, rather ambitious operation.
did the British lose any army leaders in those battles?

gonna go for some British African colonies? :D :D

excellent update. :cool:

and, glad to see ya back! ! !

Prussia and Britain duking it out on French soil...

Can life get any better? :D

Glad to read you're back with such an awesome update! Nice work, sir!

Originally Posted by anonymous4401
Prussia and Britain duking it out on French soil...

Can life get any better?
:D

With the French helpless victims of fate being torn between the two? ;) Sorry, my distaste is showing again! :D

Originally Posted by Rensslaer

Oh, I am very intrigued now. The possibilities are running rampant around in my head. Can't wait to see which option comes to the fore! :cool:

Yes, that was a nice little teaser there at the end. What could they be planning? Lot's of back and forth there for a bit. At one point it seemed it was all falling down around you but then you slowly built back up. How's debt right about now?

IRL Backstory: Okay, well... I had wondered for a while where some of my images had disappeared to. I had "missing time" and was perplexed. I've tracked down the relevant images now, and I've updated the Singapore post and the France post with some helpful, if fatally ugly, graphics. I apologize about the image quality. These are gifs done on the same home computer that I used for my earliest pages. Come about 1869, the quality will go back to what you're used to.

coz1 said:
Yes, that was a nice little teaser there at the end. What could they be planning? Lot's of back and forth there for a bit. At one point it seemed it was all falling down around you but then you slowly built back up. How's debt right about now?

Coz, if you'll go back a bit and check the new France graphics, I have a before and after contrast. Once those troops were freed from the Austrian front, they cleaned up in France. The change is quite dramatic, over such a short period.

Debt on about Sept 8, 1867 was 350,000 pounds -- small change for me! :D -- but was increasing at a rate of 500 pounds a day. Between about April and September, Prussia's debt increased by 100,000 pounds!

Ghostwriter, I'm not sure if I know of any British commanders who died. On my side, I neglected to mention that Gen. Gennert, a Bavarian general who came over to my side, died in or around the battles of Paris and Amiens. He was quite talented, and helped with those victories.

You will see shortly where those troops from southern France were destined...

If anyone is interested, here is a shot of the Prussian rail network in the wake of the Austrian capitulation. Not that any of these networks was built during the war. This is, however, one reason why my debt was still high before the war started -- much of the expansion to the higher grade rail was done immediately prior to the British declaration.

rail1867.gif

Josh, Anonymous, Draco... Good to see you guys! Glad to be back, such as I am.

Rensslaer

Nice rail network you've got.... to bad the Brits had to declare war before you could get a dent in paying off the debit incurred in building it. :(

Can't wait to see what you've got planned for those German Marines! :cool:

Excerpt from the personal diary of Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm, later to become Kaiser Friedrich III of the Kaiserreich

8th September, 1867 – I was in such good spirits this afternoon, as our columns approached the French city of Montpelier. But I was met by a courier with dispatches that had been sent to await my arrival. While I am buoyed by word of our successes in Calais, where Feldmarschall Manteuffel appears to be pressing the British into the sea, two other reports contained nothing but the gravest tales of disaster.

First, I received word of the inevitable but nevertheless stunning collapse of our defenders at Singapore. Having taken place in the spring, we have only just received confirmation. It is my understanding that four Prussian divisions, of varied strengths and capabilities (some were native troops of lower quality) were forced to surrender. My soul grieves. All our prospects in Asia had seen so promising.

But the second devastating dispatch caught me entirely unaware. I had been peripherally aware of plans to assault Gibraltar by sea. Our intelligence had prompted optimistic assessments that we might be able to seize this critical port and cut off British communication with the Mediterranean. Our screening force to maintain a cordon around Gibraltar was mostly comprised of poorly motivated Spanish and Sardinian troops. But the British defenders at Gibraltar were known to be of minimal strength, and it was felt by some that an attack by well-trained Prussian soldiers would succeed despite the fortress emplacements there. When I’d heard these plans, I had stressed the importance of a coordinated attack by two or three divisions at the very least.

From what I can tell, by a skeptical reading of the dispatch, combined with scraps of incomplete independent accounts, all my advice was disregarded. There was intended to be a two-stage invasion. Our local transport capability is limited, but it was felt that the 17th Corps could be landed to claim a portion of the ground while the steamships hurried back with the 16th Corps to reinforce the 17th. However, the 17th proved a completely inadequate force for the task at hand. By the time the transports returned, the troops on shore were in such perilous shape that it was decided (wisely, for once) that to land the 16th in those circumstances would only sacrifice them as well.

The 17th was forced to surrender to the vastly inferior, but well emplaced, British defenders. What a waste! What a folly! I am glad that I will be traveling along the coast from now on. That will allow me to maintain contact with our generals and naval captains, to ensure that no such misadventures are put into action in the future.

gibraltar.gif

The garrison at Gibraltar can be dislodged, I am convinced. But capturing useful ports like Gibraltar, Singapore or Hong Kong will require the wise application of overwhelming force to ensure success. We shall bide our time, prepare our divisions, and attack according to a well aged plan. By that time, I should have transported most of my cavalry by land or sea to the region so that I can participate myself.